• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [FAQ-GUIDE] ClockWorkMod Optimus Elite

Oh your Brilliant I have been sitting in dunkin donuts for almost 4 hours preparing both me and my phone for your rom and its finally time as soon as I finish the download.

Glad to hear you're going from Stock to Custom :) Make sure it is the newest version of the ROM, however. As with any other custom ROM, too.

Artine I have what may be my last question. Will my apps I downloaded from google play still be on here

As long as you do not format /data in CWM, you will still have your apps and the data for your apps. If you've backed up your apps and data with either Titanium Backup (TiB) or CWM, you can restore them manually if you do choose to format /data. While many do recommend formatting /data, there's almost nothing in there that is being installed - worst case scenario, what is being installed is the local.prop and 5 apps (of which, if you already have, will simply get updated as they are the most up to date versions) and some things will get overwritten, but you should not lose your apps unless you specifically either Factory Reset or format /data. Because of how the installer for Sleipnir has been rewritten, you actually do not need to format anything as it does this for you (but does not format /data).

First off when I install the rom at first everything was fine. However when I went to run app called lane splitter it would run extremely slow and then eventually my phone just rebooted itself. I tried once more to run the app and I reach the same result. To make a long story short I had this same issue with overkill, temple run and also another app that I can't remember the name of at the moment. The ROM that I am referring to is Sleipnir 2.09. That is basically the main issue with the ROM. There was another minor issue that I had with the wifi after first installing the wrong it wasn't working when in the Google Play Store when trying to download an app. It kept saying error downloading..... but I'm not sure would consider this a major major issue because it seem to fix itself once I got my gmail account setup. now I know you guys are probably thinking who's this guy to talk because I'm new to the website and the lg optimus Elite for that fact but I actually have a lot of experience with the LG Optimus One. now this is just an opinion but I believe that the ROM should have a couple of a couple more preloaded apps with it

First off when I install the rom at first everything was fine. However when I went to run app called lane splitter it would run extremely slow and then eventually my phone just rebooted itself. I tried once more to run the app and I reach the same result. To make a long story short I had this same issue with overkill, temple run and also another app that I can't remember the name of at the moment. The ROM that I am referring to is Sleipnir 2.09. That is basically the main issue with the ROM. There was another minor issue that I had with the wifi after first installing the wrong it wasn't working when in the Google Play Store when trying to download an app. It kept saying error downloading..... but I'm not sure would consider this a major major issue because it seem to fix itself once I got my gmail account setup. now I know you guys are probably thinking who's this guy to talk because I'm new to the website and the lg optimus Elite for that fact but I actually have a lot of experience with the LG Optimus One. now this is just an opinion but I believe that the ROM should have a couple of a couple more preloaded apps with it

The ROM has the bare essentials, and zero bloat. The small extras (such as Titanium Backup, qualifying as one of the essentials) are installed as user apps specifically so that they can be removed if one so wishes - that is the ideal situation for most. The Play Store is intrinsically tied into your Gmail account, and not having one set up will not allow the Play Store to operate properly. There are a few things that are recommended for one to do after installing Sleipnir. First and foremost is to set up your CPU Tuner of choice to a Min of 2xx, Max of 16xx, and the governor to be smartassV2. This is in the main post for the Sleipnir ROM.

Regardless of bugs (which will always exist in everything ever developed, including the stock ROMs that the phone has installed on it out of the box), because there are great custom ROMs available means that once one is rooted they should never (have to) return to stock. The closest ROMs we have to Stock, that are custom, are Aeneas and Harmonia. If you choose to revert to Stock for whatever reason, revert to either of those. All of the ROMs available, bugs or not, are all superior to the true Stock ROM (that is acquired through a factory reset). And, I'd wager at this point, that with Tagged and Sleipnir at the helm, the true Stock ROM has more bugs than either of those custom ROMs do.

Also, you mentioned 2.0.9. That was a test build. The release build, post-testing, is 2.0.9Ac. To be on the safe side, you may have to format /system and /cache manually, and in CWM select the option "fix permissions" before formatting either of those root directories and before installing/flashing the ROM.

I have never installed Temple Run, but my girlfriend plays it all of the time and is on build 2.0.9Ac. It works properly for her without issue. Give me a moment whilst I install and test it on my phone....

EDIT: Hmm. To be honest, I just had the same thing happen to me on Temple Run. The only thing that makes me wonder if this is because of a part of Temple Run or something to do with the 3D graphics processing of the phone with regard to the ROM, is because I have literally been playing Angry Birds (all 5), Bad Piggies, Fruit Ninja, Jetpack Joyride, and two GameBoy emulators (Color and Advance) all day, and have had zero problems. First time installing Temple Run and trying to run it, and it froze and threw the phone into a reboot.

EDIT: After the aforementioned soft-reboot, I tried Temple Run once more without changing anything from the last time I tried to run it. It ran just fine without a hitch, and without lag. For whatever reason, it could just be that it (the phone) needed to stretch its 3D legs before it could run it properly - but this does show that it will work properly on the build, that I am confident of.

Working on getting my 4th Elite setup with CWM. Which of the .bin files was the version that used the time fix?

I liked it better than CWM 6.

thanks for the thread Artine. it helped me figure out some stuff to achieve root for the first time.

i used poot to root, then i used Giantpunes noob installer to get CWM, seen here:

Its been over a month and I haven't seen any huge bugs mentioned. So today I whipped up a noob-friendly installer for the CWM. I don't have any screenshots, or instructions because its just 1 button. Download LGOE_NoobTool-debug-unaligned.apk from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Requirements -
Its built against the latest Necessitas, so you'll need Ministro II from about Nov 22 or newer. If you have installed an older one, you can delete it and get the latest one from the market. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kde.necessitas.ministro&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsIm9yZy5rZGUubmVjZXNzaXRhcy5taW5pc3RybyJd . If you don't have access to the market, there's link to it here http://files.kde.org/necessitas/installer/release/Ministro%20II%20v8.9.2.apk . The CWM installer will spit out an error and catch fire if you try to use an old version.

This installer uses the backlight exploit. If you have a kernel where that bug has been fixed, this installer won't work.

As usual, its only been tested on my phone. I offer no warranties, use it at your own risk.

then i flashed a ROM and i was pretty much all set. (i did add a few apk's for calendar and livewallpaper, with some help found in various other threads).

all very easy and quick to do, i did it all on my phone. easier than i imagined.

thanks to everyone involved with getting all of this stuff worked out. great work.

thanks for the thread Artine. it helped me figure out some stuff to achieve root for the first time.

i used poot to root, then i used Giantpunes noob installer to get CWM, seen here:

then i flashed a ROM and i was pretty much all set. (i did add a few apk's for calendar and livewallpaper, with some help found in various other threads).

all very easy and quick to do, i did it all on my phone. easier than i imagined.

thanks to everyone involved with getting all of this stuff worked out. great work.

I'm glad it all worked out for you without a hitch! Enjoy your reborn phone :)

I've made a couple of changes worth noting - and they're mentioned in the changelog as well. I've added giantpune's noob installer to the FAQ-Guide, and another method to entering Recovery. Also, I've begun the planned overhaul.

I have to send my 4th Elite back to VMU and I was hoping someone could help me by uploading a copy of the install-recovery.sh from /system/etc for me so I can remove CWM from it.

I have to send my 4th Elite back to VMU and I was hoping someone could help me by uploading a copy of the install-recovery.sh from /system/etc for me so I can remove CWM from it.

I'm sorry you keep having such bad luck!

I would attach it to this post, but I can't since the only stock ROM upload is ZV5, and install-recovery.sh is included in ZV4 but absent from ZV5. I could include the custom .sh in Sleipnir, but that's only used to get the init.d scripts functioning. Sorry I can't be of more help :/

Perhaps someone else has it, though! For anyone wondering, it's found at this exact location: /system/etc/install-recovery.sh

I've made a couple of changes worth noting - and they're mentioned in the changelog as well. I've added giantpune's noob installer to the FAQ-Guide, and another method to entering Recovery. Also, I've begun the planned overhaul.

ah thanks. i was going to request you do that since it made my life so easy. figured it would help others out as well.

If he pm's me his email I can email it to him. I only have my phone so I can't attach attachments. But I have an old nandroid of my stock rom and it had my "install-recovery.sh.bak" in it and I extracted it with Nandroid Browser. Now sitting on my external sd card waiting. :] It's a ZV5 Nandroid. But I do believe I made the nandroid before the Zv5 update so I'm kinda lost on ehether it's zv4 or zv5 lol.

Correction: Zv5. Just checked the build.prop so didn't you say that file isn't present in ZV5? How come I had it? The Nandroid I have for my stock rom is from before I did ANYTHING. I installed cwm, renamed the file, and backed up my rom. And I was on ZV5.

If he pm's me his email I can email it to him. I only have my phone so I can't attach attachments. But I have an old nandroid of my stock rom and it had my "install-recovery.sh.bak" in it and I extracted it with Nandroid Browser. Now sitting on my external sd card waiting. :] It's a ZV5 Nandroid. But I do believe I made the nandroid before the Zv5 update so I'm kinda lost on ehether it's zv4 or zv5 lol.

Correction: Zv5. Just checked the build.prop so didn't you say that file isn't present in ZV5? How come I had it? The Nandroid I have for my stock rom is from before I did ANYTHING. I installed cwm, renamed the file, and backed up my rom. And I was on ZV5.

You may want to post this in MacFett's thread :p

There is now a (very good) explanation of the Dalvik cache located under Section 3.2.3. For anyone wondering just what exactly the Dalvik cache is, and what it does, I would recommend reading that section. It's the best explanation I've ever come across for it.

I have followed every step correctly without any bumps or errors until I go to try and load cwm by using Quickboot's recovery option. I have Sleipnir v2.1.2 on my /sdcard, and I have successfully created a nandroid backup using cwm the first time it loaded. The only exception this time is that when I boot to recovery the page looks different. It reads from top to bottom (the second half is in yellow)

"Android system recovery <3e>"
"Android system recovery utility"

"Reboot system now
Apply update from sdcard
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition"
----------------------------------------------
"Finding update package..."
"Opening update package..."
"Verifying update package..."
"E:failed to read footer from /cache/ (Is a directory)"
"E:signature verification failed Installation aborted. no valid image in
CACHE."
"Check sdcard for GOTA update : /sdcard/update.zip"

"Finding update package in sdcard..."
"no image found in sdcard"
"E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)"

I would appreciate it immensely if someone could help :)

I have followed every step correctly without any bumps or errors until I go to try and load cwm by using Quickboot's recovery option. I have Sleipnir v2.1.2 on my /sdcard, and I have successfully created a nandroid backup using cwm the first time it loaded. The only exception this time is that when I boot to recovery the page looks different. It reads from top to bottom (the second half is in yellow)

"Android system recovery <3e>"
"Android system recovery utility"

"Reboot system now
Apply update from sdcard
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition"
----------------------------------------------
"Finding update package..."
"Opening update package..."
"Verifying update package..."
"E:failed to read footer from /cache/ (Is a directory)"
"E:signature verification failed Installation aborted. no valid image in
CACHE."
"Check sdcard for GOTA update : /sdcard/update.zip"

"Finding update package in sdcard..."
"no image found in sdcard"
"E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)"

I would appreciate it immensely if someone could help :)

First things first, between the Nandroid backup and rebooting into CWM, did you wipe/format/erase anything? And what about prior to the Nandroid backup?

First things first, between the Nandroid backup and rebooting into CWM, did you wipe/format/erase anything? And what about prior to the Nandroid backup?

Before the Nandroid, I wiped cache partition and dalvik cache as the instructions for the backup stated. After that I rebooted, and placed a ROM onto my /sdcard. I then tried to reboot into recovery to load cwm, but that's where I'm stuck.

Before the Nandroid, I wiped cache partition and dalvik cache as the instructions for the backup stated. After that I rebooted, and placed a ROM onto my /sdcard. I then tried to reboot into recovery to load cwm, but that's where I'm stuck.

Alright, here's what I would do: Try redownloading (could be a corrupted download) and installing CWM again (it will overwrite automatically, no confirmation needed) using the Advanced method. If CWM is still acting up, try giantpune's method, and if still no, then let me know.

Back
Top Bottom