• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [FAQ-GUIDE] ClockWorkMod Optimus Elite

Wife's OE, Sleipnir 2.4.0 installed and had been running pretty well for a while. Occasional random reboots, but I blame apps.

Then during a routine re-boot, it went nuts. It got as far as loading the home screen, and then system processes started forceclosing all over the place. I wish I could remember which ones, but it went by pretty fast, and there were a bunch, trying to re-load themselves while they were all crashing. Tried rebooting a few times, pulling battery, no change.

So, I booted to CWM. Thinking there were maybe apps or something to blame still, and because I didn't really know what else to do, I wiped the cache and the Dalvik cache and rebooted.

Boot-loop. The LG logo comes up and goes away, then the Sleipnir logo comes up, and does a little flicker every 8 seconds or so, and that's as far as it goes.

So, I boot to CWM again, thinking I should restore my nandroid backup, cause I'm a good noob and I made one right after i installed the ROM.

But CWM can't find it. It keeps coming back with "error mounting /sdcard!"
I tried going into mounts and storage and telling it to mount the card, and got the same error.

There's no external sd card in the phone. We tried that once, and the phone didn't care for it. I wish I could remember the details, but that's been a while ago. So everything's on the internal. I'm assuming that CWM is telling me that the internal sdcard won't mount, but i'm not positive about that.

I'm sure I could figure out how to get the thing running again, wipe-and-reinstall style, except for the last snag in the rug - my wife had a bunch of pictures on the phone that she wants recovered.

So I have questions.

Why won't the sdcard mount, and can I do anything about that?

How do I get my wifes pictures off this thing, so I can nuke it and start over?

I'm sorry that this is all pretty vague by phone guru standards. I appreciate any help anyone might be able to offer.

Wife's OE, Sleipnir 2.4.0 installed and had been running pretty well for a while. Occasional random reboots, but I blame apps.

Then during a routine re-boot, it went nuts. It got as far as loading the home screen, and then system processes started forceclosing all over the place. I wish I could remember which ones, but it went by pretty fast, and there were a bunch, trying to re-load themselves while they were all crashing. Tried rebooting a few times, pulling battery, no change.

So, I booted to CWM. Thinking there were maybe apps or something to blame still, and because I didn't really know what else to do, I wiped the cache and the Dalvik cache and rebooted.

Boot-loop. The LG logo comes up and goes away, then the Sleipnir logo comes up, and does a little flicker every 8 seconds or so, and that's as far as it goes.

So, I boot to CWM again, thinking I should restore my nandroid backup, cause I'm a good noob and I made one right after i installed the ROM.

But CWM can't find it. It keeps coming back with "error mounting /sdcard!"
I tried going into mounts and storage and telling it to mount the card, and got the same error.

There's no external sd card in the phone. We tried that once, and the phone didn't care for it. I wish I could remember the details, but that's been a while ago. So everything's on the internal. I'm assuming that CWM is telling me that the internal sdcard won't mount, but i'm not positive about that.

I'm sure I could figure out how to get the thing running again, wipe-and-reinstall style, except for the last snag in the rug - my wife had a bunch of pictures on the phone that she wants recovered.

So I have questions.

Why won't the sdcard mount, and can I do anything about that?

How do I get my wifes pictures off this thing, so I can nuke it and start over?

I'm sorry that this is all pretty vague by phone guru standards. I appreciate any help anyone might be able to offer.

There are a couple of things you can try to see if the issue rather simple: In CWM, try going to Advanced -> Fix Permissions. Also, when restoring from a Nandroid backup, /sdcard is programmed to be linked to the external SD card. /emmc is the internal sdcard, so when trying to restore a Nandroid backup, you'll want to select the Restore from Internal SDcard option.

Also, the random reboots may be due to the phone's CPU frequency - you can try lowering the maximum or raising the minimum to thwart reboots.

If you are able to get the device going again you should use dropbox or box or sugarsync to upload images from your mobile. My dropbox syncs with my laptop, so as soon as I am on wifi any photos on my device upload to dropbox which then automatically downloads them onto my laptop.

There are a couple of things you can try to see if the issue rather simple: In CWM, try going to Advanced -> Fix Permissions. Also, when restoring from a Nandroid backup, /sdcard is programmed to be linked to the external SD card. /emmc is the internal sdcard, so when trying to restore a Nandroid backup, you'll want to select the Restore from Internal SDcard option.

Also, the random reboots may be due to the phone's CPU frequency - you can try lowering the maximum or raising the minimum to thwart reboots.

Sorry, I forgot to mention - I did try fixing permissions, to no avail.

I didn't know about /emmc being the internal sd. I selected restore from internal, and it comes back with "Couldn't open directory. No files found."

I double-checked in mounts and storage, and it says /emmc is mounted.

If it helps, I insterted the external sdcard we'd used on the phone before, and with the card in, it will mount /sdcard and I can even use the mount usb feature to see the external sd card from my pc.

Can I use that to somehow get windows to mount /emmc so I can get the pics?

The other clever thing I tried was to connect to the phone with qpst and run it's memory debugging app. That also made no difference.

Can I somehow use qpst to retrive the files?

And the other other question is, if I can get the phone to reflash sleipnir from the external sdcard (I have another phone I can use to load the file) will flashing the rom wipe out the pictures? Does the sleipnir installation wipe out /emmc?

Also, Artine you are my hero. Thank you so much for taking the time to help with this. My wife may send you cookies.

Sorry, I forgot to mention - I did try fixing permissions, to no avail.

I didn't know about /emmc being the internal sd. I selected restore from internal, and it comes back with "Couldn't open directory. No files found."

I double-checked in mounts and storage, and it says /emmc is mounted.

If it helps, I insterted the external sdcard we'd used on the phone before, and with the card in, it will mount /sdcard and I can even use the mount usb feature to see the external sd card from my pc.

Can I use that to somehow get windows to mount /emmc so I can get the pics?

The other clever thing I tried was to connect to the phone with qpst and run it's memory debugging app. That also made no difference.

Can I somehow use qpst to retrive the files?

And the other other question is, if I can get the phone to reflash sleipnir from the external sdcard (I have another phone I can use to load the file) will flashing the rom wipe out the pictures? Does the sleipnir installation wipe out /emmc?

Also, Artine you are my hero. Thank you so much for taking the time to help with this. My wife may send you cookies.
Have you tried mounting the emmc in the recovery? go to mounts and storage and then mount usb storage.

If you are able to get the device going again you should use dropbox or box or sugarsync to upload images from your mobile. My dropbox syncs with my laptop, so as soon as I am on wifi any photos on my device upload to dropbox which then automatically downloads them onto my laptop.

Ya, if I could get the thing to boot up one time, I could get everything off it. my fear is that the internal memory had had some kind of corruption or hardware failure and its all just gone. but at this point, I don't know how to get in it to find out.

Have you tried mounting the emmc in the recovery? go to mounts and storage and then mount usb storage.

when I boot into cwm recovery, then go to mounts and storage, it says /emmc is mounted. when I tried to mount USB storage without an external card in the slot, I get another error, "e: unable to write to ums lunfile (no such file or directory)

when I boot into cwm recovery, then go to mounts and storage, it says /emmc is mounted. when I tried to mount USB storage without an external card in the slot, I get another error, "e: unable to write to ums lunfile (no such file or directory)
Do you know how to use adb shell?

Vista, yes, more's the pity.
Alright. Go to the folder you extracted files in and hold left shift and then right click, there should be an option to open a command prompt in the current directory, click on that and after that type "adb devices" without the quotes and tell me the output.

Alright. Go to the folder you extracted files in and hold left shift and then right click, there should be an option to open a command prompt in the current directory, click on that and after that type "adb devices" without the quotes and tell me the output.

Grr for can't copy and paste out of terminal. :P

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5073 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached

And then it has a blank line and then the prompt again.

Grr for can't copy and paste out of terminal. :P

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5073 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached

And then it has a blank line and then the prompt again.
Is the device plugged in and is recovery mode?

Sorry about that.

Go here:
LG LS696 Support: Find Manuals & Warranty Info | LG USA

Then scroll down and click on software updates and then download under "USB DRIVER for Windows"

Installed. I was overdue that, thank you!

Ok, adb devices still returning nothing. Just for fun I discod the phone, rebooted recovery, reconnected, adb devices still returns nil.

FWIW recovery identifies itself as "CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.8"

Edit: also, with the fresh recovery boot I look in mounts and see that /cache and /data are mounted, everything else is not. If that helps.

Installed. I was overdue that, thank you!

Ok, adb devices still returning nothing. Just for fun I discod the phone, rebooted recovery, reconnected, adb devices still returns nil.

FWIW recovery identifies itself as "CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.8"

Edit: also, with the fresh recovery boot I look in mounts and see that /cache and /data are mounted, everything else is not. If that helps.
Hmm, weird. Can you try reboot the PC as well and then retry "adb devices"?

Back
Top Bottom