• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [FAQ]ROOTING (Updated 7th April 2012)

It did it :D in that I am now looking at the RA green system screen.
Just doing a reboot as I remembered first I have to clear my superuser permissions on the phone.
OK did that.
Now on using Root Checker it still says I do not have Busybox installed correctly.
Should I be conerned by this. and if so what should I do next please.

(I have just gone into Hboot and see the following S-ON)

After reading yet more threads I think I can ignore this re Busybox and carry on and see if I can take a ROM backup, if I can do that I am on my way to a custom rom.

So my only remaining question (hopefully this is my last one as all goes well) is is it OK to have my phone plugged in to the charger while I do a backup and ROM flash please?

The ROM I intend to install requires I flash a new radio first and then the ROM (oh and a full wipe first), so it is in at the deep end.

(I would use the charger standalone, not plugged into the PC so there would be not inturuption risk).

Backup worked fine, now installing the radio.
currently sitting on Formatting CACHE:...
Though the menu is active I can scroll through it.

Hope this is going OK as it has sat on this bit for a few minutes now.:confused:
Do I need to select Reboot system now again or go on to flash the new rom?

OK, nooby panic over (almost!)
So I read again all the posts on the ROM I have chosen and decided to bit the bullet and went on to install the ROM. Now I have selected system reboot and just getting first reboot as I type...

Currently going through setup, so it looks like I did it :D

I have Gingerbread based on stock ROM and 127Mb of free space, so well happy.
SD card took a battering on space though with the ROM backup.

OK, nooby panic over (almost!)
So I read again all the posts on the ROM I have chosen and decided to bit the bullet and went on to install the ROM. Now I have selected system reboot and just getting first reboot as I type...

Currently going through setup, so it looks like I did it :D

I have Gingerbread based on stock ROM and 127Mb of free space, so well happy.
SD card took a battering on space though with the ROM backup.

well done :P

Added:

If the site in the goldcard tool is not available, use this: Free HTC goldcard generator | RevSkills

Well, I appear to have rooted my 2.3 Desire, using Revolutionary and clockworkmod. Think I've done the backup ok so far. Was about to do the gold card bit, and have hit a daft stumbling point. Going to the SD and phone storage, and unmounting my card, I don't appear to have anyway to format it....unless this is done elsewhere :o :confused:

After bearing a slow desire for over 2 months, I finally rooted it with latest oxygen stable. snappy!

Thanks for the informative posts - every problems I have encountered during rooting have mentioned in the posts... got the backup cid problem and went through a downgrade..

a quick nitpit in the faq if I may:
What is Nandro]id Backup?
Nandroid backup is a backup that takes an entire snapshot of your phone as it is. This can be done from clockworkmod recovery, under the backup menu. It is not referred to as Nandroid in clockworkmod.
I was really searching for the Nandroid backup for a while until I found out that it is actually the 'backup and restore' in clockworkmod recovery. Is it really obvious to everyone else :confused:

while i am here, a problem I am encountering in oxygen rom is that there is no 'mms protocol' setting in the access point section. I searched the net and it seems that setting is missing in most of the AOSP rom... can't get my MMS working( received but can't open it) darn!

I've never seen that setting but I've been on aosp for a long time. You need to have an access point name with mms settings. I have 2 apns. One for internet and one for mms.

In the mms one, I set type as mms. This makes the apn unselectable which is what you need.

ahhh i guess youve come from 2.1 or a different phone. older android had a drop down menu for apn protocol. since 2.2 you have to type it manually

ahhh i guess youve come from 2.1 or a different phone. older android had a drop down menu for apn protocol. since 2.2 you have to type it manually

It is MMS protocol missing in the access point name setting.

in oxygen, it automatically created two access points - one for internet, one for mms. the only thing different than my previous working setting is the missing of MMS protoco
l.

also found another thread about this here( xrl.us/bmcmes ) and no fix..

I am on china mobile if that makes any difference :)

mms problem solved. went through a chinese post on setting up china mobile mms. it is all working now. thanks.

Very nice thread, but I have a small isue which probably has already posted but I cant seem to find it.

Recently I went from froyo 2.2 to 2.3.3 from htc developers but I actually wanted to instal Oxygen 2.2, but now I can't root my phone with Unrevoked because the root is too new, and is there a possible way to unroot it first back to 2.2 with any RUU's ?
I can't seem to find a site where there are RUU's.

Thanks

You cannot downgrade this via ruu or teppics downgrader due to restrictions on the hboot and operating system. This is the same reason why unrevoked fails.
Go to revolutionary.io this will get you rooted and s-off

Edit: bloodeh phone app. Didnt see last post.

Hmm not sure. Spoke to teppic about this. The only reason it won't work is the temp root exploit he uses. He thinks if he can get root, hboot won't be a problem

Hmm not sure. Spoke to teppic about this. The only reason it won't work is the temp root exploit he uses. He thinks if he can get root, hboot won't be a problem

yes, but with doesnt the alpharev downgrader alow you to use an older RUU?
hmm

Back
Top Bottom