• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [FAQ]ROOTING (Updated 7th April 2012)

A friend of mine told me that if I root my desire I can expand my phone memory. Is it true?

Once rooted, it opens the door to apply methods to add more memory, yes.

These are:

a2sd+ (see FAQ in sticky thread) - requires you partition SD card and custom rom

Alpharev custom Hboot (requires S-off, small custom rom)

Custom MTD partitionm layout (Requires S-off - not for novices).

After yesterday & today's HTC Desire/Gingerbread U-turn debacle I've decided to root (I'll probably be waiting for ages for my operator to update anyway) and this is by far the most useful resource on the Internet, thankyou!

But I have one query regarding RUU's

I have a UK Orange Desire which unfortunately is VT4, but has erase size of 20000 (which I believe doesn't cause a problem) but on the list of operators RUUs is two Orange zip files
OTA_Bravo_Orange_CH-FR_2.22.71.2-1.19.72.3_P_release8xcr7nx2a68060l7.zip
and
OTA_Bravo_Froyo_Orange_CH_2.22.71.4-2.22.71.2_releasevrnkzrd85wxshyvx.zip

My Desire reports itself as being build number 2.17.61.3 CL274424

I don't know which one (if any) to use for a gold card, please can someone assist - thanks.

You have to think about this hard as there are no orange RUUs available. Once rooted, you'll never be unrooted again whilst on Orange firmware.

Hi SuRoot and everyone!

Thanks so much for the main post!

WARNING: Rooting can be dangerous if you do not understand the concepts, risks and procedures involved.

What about Gold Cards? Do I need one?
For rooting itself, no. However, if your phone is branded, you should definitely make one.

Here is the Goldcard tool

To use:

1. Click get CID (Try clicking MMC0 if MMC1 fails)
  2. Click the link to open the goldcard generator, copy the CID from the tool into it. You will get an email.

However when I open "Link to open the goldcard generator", the site is unconnectable!

Are there any alternative legit sites please?

Thanks! help is much appreciated

Hi SuRoot and everyone!

Thanks so much for the main post!

WARNING: Rooting can be dangerous if you do not understand the concepts, risks and procedures involved.

What about Gold Cards? Do I need one?
For rooting itself, no. However, if your phone is branded, you should definitely make one.

Here is the Goldcard tool

To use:

1. Click get CID (Try clicking MMC0 if MMC1 fails)
  2. Click the link to open the goldcard generator, copy the CID from the tool into it. You will get an email.

However when I open "Link to open the goldcard generator", the site is unconnectable!

Are there any alternative legit sites please?

Thanks! help is much appreciated
yeah his drop box must be having issues again
SUroot, time for my mirror

Brilliant thanks. Sorry I've just been tied up with other projects. Haven't even got round to finding an FTP client yet.

Added the below statement:

The 2 main recoveries that we recommend here are clockwork mod 2.5.0.7 and AmonRA 2.0.1.

Note* there are other versions of both but we strongly discourage any other version than the above.

Hi Rastaman, You said it works?
I've tried multiple times but the site you listed is down.

Anything else we can do?
Thanks!

Ive just clicked the link in your quote and it loaded straight up.

PM me you email address and teh details to put in and I'll fill in the form if you need, in the next 5 minutes

Added below to the backup section:

As we are not wanting to restore data for system apps, it is best to make provision for your contacts, sms, call logs if required.

If you have google contacts, nothing is needed. I personally use sms backup+ which backsup to my gmail account. I can restore or leave. Also I can browse the SMS via gmail. Great.

hi all can someone advise please. I have desire HBOOT 0.93 build 2.14.207.1 pvt1 ship s-on
im desperate to sort out the storgae issue with my phone which version of unrEVOked do i need please?

i have read the FAQ and its almost understandable, this goldcard do i create it before root or after. sorry for all questions just dont want to get it wrong.

sorry also im looking in the shipped roms list under desire but notice that my current rom is not there?

hi all can someone advise please. I have desire HBOOT 0.93 build 2.14.207.1 pvt1 ship s-on
im desperate to sort out the storgae issue with my phone which version of unrEVOked do i need please?

i have read the FAQ and its almost understandable, this goldcard do i create it before root or after. sorry for all questions just dont want to get it wrong.

sorry also im looking in the shipped roms list under desire but notice that my current rom is not there?
Follow this guide for rooting and use Unrevoked 3.21.

Create a goldcard only if your phone is branded by a carrier. Is it O2 branded?
First partition your card (reduce the size of the current FAT32 and add 1GB ext3 partition after that), then make it a goldcard. Then you can proceed with rooting.

Check the full specs under Settings - about phone - Baseband version. That should tell you the exact RUU that you need.

Follow this guide for rooting and use Unrevoked 3.21.

Create a goldcard only if your phone is branded by a carrier. Is it O2 branded?
First partition your card (reduce the size of the current FAT32 and add 1GB ext3 partition after that), then make it a goldcard. Then you can proceed with rooting.

Check the full specs under Settings - about phone - Baseband version. That should tell you the exact RUU that you need.

thanks, yes its O2 carrier, the baseband says 32.44.00.32u_5.09.0530_2 so do i need to download that and save it in case i need to reset?

if i partition my card will it wipe it clean? is it best to use a separate one?

oh sausage i just dont the goldcard but to forgot to partition it, what can i use to partition the card? can i do it whilst in the [hone?

thanks, yes its O2 carrier, the baseband says 32.44.00.32u_5.09.0530_2 so do i need to download that and save it in case i need to reset?

if i partition my card will it wipe it clean? is it best to use a separate one?

oh sausage i just dont the goldcard but to forgot to partition it, what can i use to partition the card? can i do it whilst in the [hone?

UPDATE
I have now found a way to partition the sd card and have re done the goldcard.
I have followed the guide for rooting but i keep getting this message on unrevoked
internal error couldn't find misc.

what has gone wrong ? please how do i get it to work?

many thanks

By reading post #1 of this thread. I put this faq together to save me writing it every time I was asked. This is already covered

Back
Top Bottom