• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Hroark's Prevail Kernel Factory

so has anyone successfully used this to make a working bootable kernel yet, besides me?

Not yet, but I plan to, I've been stuck running a 500 page procedure testing the ability of a windows app to correctly open and save files (no shit, I'm dead serious) all because one of our customers doesn't understand how to run 32 bit apps for windows XP in windows 7.

Upvote 0
Not yet, but I plan to, I've been stuck running a 500 page procedure testing the ability of a windows app to correctly open and save files (no shit, I'm dead serious) all because one of our customers doesn't understand how to run 32 bit apps for windows XP in windows 7.

I always fall back on lmgtfy

Let me google that for you

but, if your being paid good $$ per hour then worth taking your time on :D

Upvote 0

I feel your pain Kouma. I'm trying to get Ubuntu an WINE up and running on my P.C. right now because my Ex G.F. decided she would be funny and lock Windows down on me by changing the Admin settings (passwords, rights, and parental blocks) and taking the recovery discs with her when I booted her. Coming from a heavy Windows background for years in which every program that I have is Windows based, it feels like I'm diving back into the world of DOS to a certain point by having to use the terminal reguarly, which isn't a bad thing.... LOL!!!!!!!!!:)

Upvote 0
I feel your pain Kouma. I'm trying to get Ubuntu an WINE up and running on my P.C. right now because my Ex G.F. decided she would be funny and lock Windows down on me by changing the Admin settings (passwords, rights, and parental blocks) and taking the recovery discs with her when I booted her. Coming from a heavy Windows background for years in which every program that I have is Windows based, it feels like I'm diving back into the world of DOS to a certain point by having to use the terminal reguarly, which isn't a bad thing.... LOL!!!!!!!!!:)

There are some linux boot cds out there that will let you change windows passwords without knowing the old ones. If you havent wiped that drive, you might be able to recover :)

Upvote 0
There are some linux boot cds out there that will let you change windows passwords without knowing the old ones. If you havent wiped that drive, you might be able to recover :)

I went ahead and dived into Ubuntu with both feet and formatted the H.D. She had installed a bunch of junk games from off the web and password trackers, just the normal run of the mill spyware junk... I had the old copy of Windows dual booting with Ubuntu, but it seemed like it was counter productive due to not being able to actually do what I needed to with Windows 7. I ordered O.E. discs from H.P. in San Jose yesterday for $20 and some change, so when they come in sometime next week, I'll reset everything and start with a truly dual boot rig... Then the fun will actually begin. Again..... Until then I'm getting by with WINE for some of my Windows programs. I do miss the Media Center on the Xbox though... LMAO!!!!!!!!!!:D

Upvote 0
I went ahead and dived into Ubuntu with both feet and formatted the H.D. She had installed a bunch of junk games from off the web and password trackers, just the normal run of the mill spyware junk... I had the old copy of Windows dual booting with Ubuntu, but it seemed like it was counter productive due to not being able to actually do what I needed to with Windows 7. I ordered O.E. discs from H.P. in San Jose yesterday for $20 and some change, so when they come in sometime next week, I'll reset everything and start with a truly dual boot rig... Then the fun will actually begin. Again..... Until then I'm getting by with WINE for some of my Windows programs. I do miss the Media Center on the Xbox though... LMAO!!!!!!!!!!:D

got some bad news for you. Ubuntu has more options than you can shake a stick at when it comes to sharing your media with your UPNP enabled devices:
List of UPnP AV media servers and clients - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia has some listed
GeeXboX uShare UPnP A/V Media Server HomePage is one I found that directly supports the Xblock

Upvote 0
Hroark, is this program different from the Ramdisk packer you put out or can I use that if I have it?

yes this is different because we can now comile the zImage because we now have working source

i included an updated version of my packer with this to make it easier for people

Upvote 0
got some bad news for you. Ubuntu has more options than you can shake a stick at when it comes to sharing your media with your UPNP enabled devices:
List of UPnP AV media servers and clients - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia has some listed
GeeXboX uShare UPnP A/V Media Server HomePage is one I found that directly supports the Xblock

I missed recording Gold Rush on Friday on Media Center, but I'll get it fixed soon enough.

I found a few that I'm going to see if I can get to work earlier., in fact the bottom one is one that I looked at. To borrow and change a line from the Chappelle Show, "Google is a Hell of a drug".... LOL... I had to work all weekend and just got off this morning, so a complete lack of sleep, no caffeine, and a pounding headache is slowing progress somewhat. LOL!!!! I just want to get everything situated to where I can try and begin attempting a little bit of dev. work too. I can't let all of y'all have all the fun developing for our phones alone, I want in too.....:)

Upvote 0
Not sure if the xbox will work but ps3 will work perfectly with mediatomb.

its a linux media server like media center I suppose.

Upvote 0
Hroark, Do I have to do anything special to make any kernel CWM flashable? For example in the first post it doesn't say how to make a Kouma kernel cwm flashable.
Would I:
$ cd ../pack
$ ./cwmboot.pl kouma1.3

For example.

Figured it out. About to try my first kernel now!!!

not

$ ./cwmboot.pl kouma1.3

do

$ ./cwmboot.pl kouma13

there is not a . in the folder name

Reactions: The~Skater~187
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones