• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Hroark's Prevail Kernel Factory

I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 x86 with the 2.6.38-10 Generic-PAE (i686) kernel, amd 64 athelon x2 with 5gigs internal ram and this whole process took less then ten minutes. Does that sound wrong?
Granted I'm just doing a few base kernels with just what is provided in the hpkf to get the hang of this, but something just doesn't sound right here. All terminal commands went through with no errors.

Upvote 0
I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 x86 with the 2.6.38-10 Generic-PAE (i686) kernel, amd 64 athelon x2 with 5gigs internal ram and this whole process took less then ten minutes. Does that sound wrong?
Granted I'm just doing a few base kernels with just what is provided in the hpkf to get the hang of this, but something just doesn't sound right here. All terminal commands went through with no errors.

10 minutes for everything

the zImage take about 15 minutes to compile on my system

and to pack the zImage with a RAM disk only takes a few seconds

Now it for some reason your kernel does not boot, refer to my kernel packer thread to make sure you have all the needed software on your system

I setup my system as an Android build system by using the instructions in my Build CyanogenMod from source thread

so doing all that puts all the needed software on my system, like the Android SDK and stuff like that

Reactions: The~Skater~187
Upvote 0
I just timed it on my system and it took 11 minutes for the zImage to compile

That's what I have done so far is a few zImages and I made the cwm flashable. I'm about to try my first and see if it boots and I'd figure I could go from there and try to make the recovery. I just want to get the hang of phase one before I got to phase two.

Upvote 0
That's what I have done so far is a few zImages and I made the cwm flashable. I'm about to try my first and see if it boots and I'd figure I could go from there and try to make the recovery. I just want to get the hang of phase one before I got to phase two.

if you are gonna make the recovery dont forget to copy the /lib/modules files from thre kouma13 folder into the CWM5027 folder

I screwed up and accidently deleted them

by the way this is not how I make the CWM, I compile it from source code, but I do use this if I need to make a change or a quick fix to it

Making CWM is a alot more like making CyanogenMOD than making te kernel

Upvote 0
if you are gonna make the recovery dont forget to copy the /lib/modules files from thre kouma13 folder into the CWM5027 folder

I screwed up and accidently deleted them

by the way this is not how I make the CWM, I compile it from source code, but I do use this if I need to make a change or a quick fix to it

Making CWM is a alot more like making CyanogenMOD than making te kernel
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks Hroark. I flashed my kernel and it is stuck at the splash screen. So it's back to square one for me.

Upvote 0
Do you have the Android SDK installed

Try doing this, this is the first part of my Building CyanogMod instructions, which sets up your system with needed software

First download this file to you Downloads folder
installerBuildRomGalmin.sh
Password : squadzone

Open Terminal

$ sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner"

Enter your password

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk

if you get an error

$ sudo apt-get -f install

$ chmod 7777 ./Downloads/installerBuildRomGalmin.sh
$ sudo ./Downloads/installerBuildRomGalmin.sh

say yes or OK to any prompts and Install the recommended packages

Upvote 0
Try doing this, this is the first part of my Building CyanogMod instructions, which sets up your system with needed software

First download this file to you Downloads folder
installerBuildRomGalmin.sh
Password : squadzone

Open Terminal

$ sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner"

Enter your password

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk

if you get an error

$ sudo apt-get -f install

$ chmod 7777 ./Downloads/installerBuildRomGalmin.sh
$ sudo ./Downloads/installerBuildRomGalmin.sh

say yes or OK to any prompts and Install the recommended packages
I have the sdk and the cm7 setup. I'll try to update it.

Upvote 0
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks Hroark. I flashed my kernel and it is stuck at the splash screen. So it's back to square one for me.

did you use the prevail config for the zImage ?

which ramdisk folder did you use ?

can you upload you file somewhere so i can look at it and see if your zImage is good

Upvote 0
did you use the prevail config for the zImage ?

which ramdisk folder did you use ?

can you upload you file somewhere so i can look at it and see if your zImage is good

I used the prevail config listed in the steps above. I copied the kouma folder as you suggested and renamed the folder. I'll pm you the link as soon as it's done uploading so you can check it out.

Edit: I Got It Hroark!!!!!:D

Upvote 0
I used the prevail config listed in the steps above. I copied the kouma folder as you suggested and renamed the folder. I'll pm you the link as soon as it's done uploading so you can check it out.

Edit: I Got It Hroark!!!!!:D

I tested your zImage and it is fine

can you try to download the the Kouma 1.2 that he has in his thread

extract the ramdisk by following the instructions in my OP

and then building a new kernel with his unmodified 1.2 ramdisk and your zImage

and by the way who is Chubby?

Upvote 0
the fsr drivers were missing

Damnit, I knew that had to be involved, I couldn't prove it though. All I was able to do was move files from /system into the ramdisk and note how adb gained a little more functionality with each build. That made me suspect that the nand flash drivers were borked or missing. It just clicked now that I read that post and remembered a document you once linked me to that hinted that the RFS filesystem driver was combined with the nand-flash driver

Edit: Compiling a test image now

Upvote 0
Damnit, I knew that had to be involved, I couldn't prove it though. All I was able to do was move files from /system into the ramdisk and note how adb gained a little more functionality with each build. That made me suspect that the nand flash drivers were borked or missing. It just clicked now that I read that post and remembered a document you once linked me to that hinted that the RFS filesystem driver was combined with the nand-flash driver

Edit: Compiling a test image now

we still dont have full RFS or FSR code, so we still need to use thos prebuilt modules

i removed RFS from my CM7 kernel (do we really need it?)

kouma kernel 2.0 should have

integrated ext4 and use ext4 for ext2
swap support (will need to repartition sd-card in CWM and add swap partition)
if possible OC ? maybe / maybe not

There are other things, but I cant think of them now

You are pretty smart and creative so I am looking foward to what you can come up with.

I am gonna try to make a kernel which would work with ICS

i will probably need to modify the source code and create a new branch

If you want to help with that, that would be cool

Upvote 0
So I greped CIQ and ciq in the kernel source

here is a paste of the output

http://pastebin.com/yjMdKYx9

it looks like the dpram driver has some stuff related to CIQ

1. /home/hroark13/hpkf/kernel/drivers/dpram/dpram.c: struct tty_driver tty_driver[NUM_PDP_CONTEXT]; // CSD, CDMA, TRFB, CIQ
  2. /home/hroark13/hpkf/kernel/drivers/dpram/dpram.c: { .id = 9, .ifname = "ttyCIQ1" },
  3. /home/hroark13/hpkf/kernel/drivers/dpram/dpram.c: { .id = 27, .ifname = "ttyCIQ0" },

Upvote 0
So I greped CIQ and ciq in the kernel source

here is a paste of the output

http://pastebin.com/yjMdKYx9

it looks like the dpram driver has some stuff related to CIQ

1. /home/hroark13/hpkf/kernel/drivers/dpram/dpram.c: struct tty_driver tty_driver[NUM_PDP_CONTEXT]; // CSD, CDMA, TRFB, CIQ
  2. /home/hroark13/hpkf/kernel/drivers/dpram/dpram.c: { .id = 9, .ifname = "ttyCIQ1" },
  3. /home/hroark13/hpkf/kernel/drivers/dpram/dpram.c: { .id = 27, .ifname = "ttyCIQ0" },

Would we be able to remove and maybe patch this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones