• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Kernel][GB] KoumaKernel 2.5

Switching from /Data mode to /SSM mode? I thought the directory structures were different?

"With data mode the first ext4 partition is mounted as "/data" meaning the phone perceives it as the phones data partition. This is why it shows on settings.

With SSM the first ext4 partition is mounted as "/data/app" and the second ext4 partition is mounted as "/data/dalvik" this means the first partition is used for user apps the second is used for the dalvik cache and all other data is still stored on the phones internal memory. This includes the apps data folders, your personal settings and text messages (etc)"

So I think that if you had a CWM backup of data while in /Data mode, you wouldn't be able to use that (e.g. restore that backup) if you were in /SSM mode, and vice versa. Although you could certainly have two backups, one for /Data and one for /SSM, and simply switch modes and restore.

Which brings up an interesting point - does a CWM backup cover all partitions? I.e., in /SSM, would a CWM backup include both partitions (i.e., /data/app and /data/dalvik)?

Ah...an app to take a screenshot. Thanks for the point!

So to review the process I had followed:

- I went into CWM, and formatted /SDCard (let's get a clean slate to start with!) and then formatted /SDExt

- I then booted, went into SDParter, and set up partitions like this:

- I went into KK and set mode to /SSM, and swap settings

- Then I booted back into CWM, and formatted /SDExt, and ran the SSM_Wipe_Dalvik_swap2EXT4formatter zip

This is what TE shows as my partition structure:

Did I get it right?
It all looks good! Now in terminal type free If it shows numbers swap is working if all 0's then is not working.

Switching from /Data mode to /SSM mode? I thought the directory structures were different?

"With data mode the first ext4 partition is mounted as "/data" meaning the phone perceives it as the phones data partition. This is why it shows on settings.

With SSM the first ext4 partition is mounted as "/data/app" and the second ext4 partition is mounted as "/data/dalvik" this means the first partition is used for user apps the second is used for the dalvik cache and all other data is still stored on the phones internal memory. This includes the apps data folders, your personal settings and text messages (etc)"

So I think that if you had a CWM backup of data while in /Data mode, you wouldn't be able to use that (e.g. restore that backup) if you were in /SSM mode, and vice versa. Although you could certainly have two backups, one for /Data and one for /SSM, and simply switch modes and restore.

Which brings up an interesting point - does a CWM backup cover all partitions? I.e., in /SSM, would a CWM backup include both partitions (i.e., /data/app and /data/dalvik)?

Yes it does and when restoring a backup no need to wipe, or formatt, or anything, just restore and use. Just remember if you are in data and you store stuff or even contacts, when you restore a ssm backup it will not have the new data or contacts ect.... on it, it restores the way it was saved and always make a new backup before restoring an old one to save any new info.

All in all why would you want to switch back and forth?

Ah...excellent!

Attachments

• shot_000006.jpg
    shot_000006.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 244
Ummmmm, why an extra app for screenshot ??? If you hold down the power button for a second, you'll get the option "screenshot" !!!!

Right...I wouldn't think it that a /Data backup would have any additional data created while in /SSM mode, since (if I read it right) you're really creating two separate folder/file configurations.

Actually, I don't want to switch back and forth on a routine basis - I just need to switch to /Data mode and restore a backup so I can grab some application data files and copy to the PC. Then I'll switch back into /SSM mode, and copy the grabbed data files back into the new folder location. Note that this is only for a few specific applications (e.g., car gas mileage), and not "system" applications. My SOP is to sync and maintain all critical data (e.g., contacts, calendar, bookmarks, Evernote, etc) to my PC (and cloud). The phone is merely a very convenient access device.

However, I can see someone using CWM backup/restore, combined with KK Data/SSM mode, to maintain and use entirely different opsys configurations.

Thanks for all the help! I'm now back in business with an even better phone than it was before!

Ummmmm, why an extra app for screenshot ??? If you hold down the power button for a second, you'll get the option "screenshot" !!!!

Try to take a screenshot of your drop down, you can't! so an app is needed for some things, sometime. So when theming, you need the extra app to show off the work. But yes the rom option screenshot works for 98% of any needs.

:rolleyes::D:p:p:p

That's what happens when you operate on little to no sleep for a couple days. Been a rough week.

Hey guys sorry it took me so long to report back and again thank you guys for all your help......I got ssm mode working after I formatted both partitions to ext4 but the only thing is that I notice that internal memory drops pretty quickly with the slightest use of the apps and whenever I install a new app even directly to the SD card. Is that normal or should it not be doing that? Am I better off in data mode or will swap help? What would be the best option for me to prevent it from consuming so much internal storage?

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Hey guys sorry it took me so long to report back and again thank you guys for all your help......I got ssm mode working after I formatted both partitions to ext4 but the only thing is that I notice that internal memory drops pretty quickly with the slightest use of the apps and whenever I install a new app even directly to the SD card. Is that normal or should it not be doing that? Am I better off in data mode or will swap help? What would be the best option for me to prevent it from consuming so much internal storage?

The ssm will work and run faster than it will in data mode. The memory will drop as apps and data are put on. I have a ton of apps and a ton of data and I have like 70 Mb free which is still plenty. Also putting apps on the SD card will make those runs slower.

The ssm will work and run faster than it will in data mode. The memory will drop as apps and data are put on. I have a ton of apps and a ton of data and I have like 70 Mb free which is still plenty. Also putting apps on the SD card will make those runs slower.

Ok thanks.....then what is the best internal storage cleaning app that you recommend to keep it clean from useless data? Because it seems to accumulate large amounts of data just with normal daily usage.

Ok thanks.....then what is the best internal storage cleaning app that you recommend to keep it clean from useless data? Because it seems to accumulate large amounts of data just with normal daily usage.

That 'useless data' is most likely text messages :D:p

Do you text a lot? if so, start deleting old ones.

That 'useless data' is most likely text messages :D:p

Do you text a lot? if so, start deleting old ones.

Yeah I do but it's not that......I make sure that don't fill up. :D I believe it's the data that the apps use and build up when they are used but I don't wanna have to go through each individual app and delete the data one by one. I was just wondering what would be the best cleaning app for that.

Yeah I do but it's not that......I make sure that don't fill up. :D I believe it's the data that the apps use and build up when they are used but I don't wanna have to go through each individual app and delete the data one by one. I was just wondering what would be the best cleaning app for that.

Titanium Backup can do batch opperations like that! How much memory did or do you lose, meaning how much free do you have? Most apps add data when first used but then that is usually it. I thought the same at first with mine and it stabilized out and all is good. I lose 2 here and there as more data builds for certain apps. Other than that you have to do it manually yourself.

Titanium Backup can do batch opperations like that! How much memory did or do you lose, meaning how much free do you have? Most apps add data when first used but then that is usually it. I thought the same at first with mine and it stabilized out and all is good. I lose 2 here and there as more data builds for certain apps. Other than that you have to do it manually yourself.

Well as of now I have 99mb free but that's because I have been deleting app data although I have seen it dip as low as 65mb free lately......and that's without installing any new apps just normal usage.

And I am running the latest version of half-ass rom.....do you think I should flash CT mod since it's a liter rom?

I'm not sure if it's been asked here yet, or not, but I'm pretty new at this whole rooting thing and I'm not sure what the best course of action would be, now.

I just installed this kernel and rebooted my phone and it's hanging at the Kouma Kernel 2.5 bootscreen. My phone's been sitting there for about 10 minutes now on that screen.

Any ideas how I can fix this, guys?

I'm not sure if it's been asked here yet, or not, but I'm pretty new at this whole rooting thing and I'm not sure what the best course of action would be, now.

I just installed this kernel and rebooted my phone and it's hanging at the Kouma Kernel 2.5 bootscreen. My phone's been sitting there for about 10 minutes now on that screen.

Any ideas how I can fix this, guys?

what rom are you running?

I didn't install any roms prior to installing kouma kernel

Well there's your problem right there. To use koumakernel you need to be running and ext4 filesystem. (The stock rom uses rfs format) If you want a 'stock' rom that will run this kernel you need to install half ass rom. If you want a rom with a few more bells and whistles try ctmod. :)

Hey can any of you guys help me with this question?

"Well as of now I have 99mb free but that's because I have been deleting app data although I have seen it dip as low as 65mb free lately......and that's without installing any new apps just normal usage."

This one>>>"And I am running the latest version of half-ass rom.....do you think I should flash CT mod since it's a lighter rom?"

Its a matter of personal choice. Ctmod has more options and is less heavy on ram and is a smaller rom. The fact that the rom (system) is smaller will have no bearing on the amount of user data you have available. The rom is stored on the /system partition, user data goes on the /data partition.

You may however end up with more space based on the fact that that any app updates are stored on the /data partition (even system apps)

Do you use titanium backup? If I'm not mistaken it has the option to integrate app updates into the rom. You could try that first. If not, feel free to try ctmod

Its a matter of personal choice. Ctmod has more options and is less heavy on ram and is a smaller rom. The fact that the rom (system) is smaller will have no bearing on the amount of user data you have available. The rom is stored on the /system partition, user data goes on the /data partition.

You may however end up with more space based on the fact that that any app updates are stored on the /data partition (even system apps)

Do you use titanium backup? If I'm not mistaken it has the option to integrate app updates into the rom. You could try that first. If not, feel free to try ctmod

Yes I use TB.....so that will free up some space?

Well there's your problem right there. To use koumakernel you need to be running and ext4 filesystem. (The stock rom uses rfs format) If you want a 'stock' rom that will run this kernel you need to install half ass rom. If you want a rom with a few more bells and whistles try ctmod. :)

Haha well therein lies my problem, apparently. I just returned my phone to factory settings so it's currently rooted and has CWM on it, is all. How can I go about getting kouma kernel to work?

Just install CTMod and then kouma kernel?

EDIT: Nvm, I think I understand now. Just installed CTMod and then phone booted past the kouma kernel hang. =]

Back
Top Bottom