• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Kernel][GB] KoumaKernel 2.5

Don't need to do fresh install just need to switch to ssm and then go into cwm and format the sdext then reboot and then look at the memory, if all is good then install apps.

I have 2 exts. Does that matter? Will cwm format both of them?

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Ok I went in terminal emulator and this is what I got:

# df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/stl13 163768 101600 62168 62% /data
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 2475456 106912 2368544 4% /data/app
This is the part were interested in. You appear to be running SSM due to mmcblk0p2 being mounted as "/data/app"
But as cwhatever said you should see /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 as /data/dalvik.

Are you absolutely sure you have created two partitions on your card? (a total of three if you count the main one that holds your pictures and such)

This is the part were interested in. You appear to be running SSM due to mmcblk0p2 being mounted as "/data/app"

Are you absolutely sure you have created two partitions on your card? (a total of three if you count the main one that holds your pictures and such)

Oops on my part, when I didn't see the third one I just figured it wasn't right didn't dawn on me that he was running ssm and might be missing the 3rd partition. Thx LV for seeing that and correcting me.

I'm not sure if it would even boot if it was missing ...0p3 I've never tried... but either its missing, or he didn't copy the full output.

Yes I did create two additional partitions......ext 3 and ext 4, both the same size as Kouma instructed. So what may be the problem? Should I reformat both partitions?

Oh and by the way guys I'm not running swap in case you're wondering.......just ssm alone.

That could be part of the problem. If I remember correctly, both partitions have to be ext4 fire ssm mode to work correctly. If I am wrong someone please correct me. It had been a while since I have played with my prevail.

Yes they both have to be ext4 format.

Oooh ok gotcha....that's why I'm having this issue because ssm mode is not recognizing and mounting the ext 3 partition? Duhh :Slaps hand on forehead: lol.....I feel like a dummy. I'm gonna reformat the other partition to ext 4 as soon as I get a chance and I'll report back with the results. Thanks gentlemen. :)

I'm having trouble getting my Prevail to recognize partitions in /SSM mode.

Background -
I had rooted my Prevail about a year ago with CTMod 3.6, and was using /Data mode to expand internal memory. I used CWM /Advanced/Partition SD to set up a 2g partition. With /Data mode in KoumaKernal (KK), that worked great.

I recently updated/flashed the new ROM CTMod 3.8 Apparently, that reset the default setting to /Internal Data, and I spent some time figuring out how to re-setup the phone. After backing up, using CWM Partition, and then /Data mode (and formatting SDEXT in CWM), settings/apps showed free memory of 6.5GB (SD card = 8GB).

I then discovered KK's ability to set up a virtual memory swap, and am now trying to get that to work

I used KK/SDPartr to set up 4 partitions: Original FAT / EXT4=1GB / EXT4=1GB / SWAP 512M.
I then went into KK, and selected /SSM.
I booted into CWM, and formatted SDEXT.
I booted back into CTMod 3.8.

When I check my internal memory, it shows only 150 MB - clearly it's not picking up the first partition to use it as expended memory (for internal HD space).

Is there an error in the process I followed? Is there something else I need to do to enable both expanded HD memory and virtual RAM memory?

Also is there any way to determine if the virtual memory is actually working (using the second EXT4 partition)? Or the SWAP file is being created?

When I look at the SWAP settings, I'm not clear if I designate a specific folder for a swap file, or if a swap file is created automagically in the SWAP partition. Do I need to specifically designate a folder for the SWAP file, and if so, where and how? I didn't see any way to switch between partitions - are different partitions designated as a specific type of folder?

And - why the need to three additional partitions (EXT4/EXT4/SWAP) - if the first partition is for expanded HD space, and the last partition is for virtual memory swapping - what's the second EXT4 partition for? (just curious to see if I understand correctly)

Also, I read in this thread that whenever you switch modes (e.g., /Internal Data to /Data to /SSM) you need to boot into CWM to format SDEXT - although in CWM, it only shows a single partition, not multiple partitions. Should I be seeing multiple partitions here?

Also, in CWM/Mounts and Storage - should I be specifically mounting the /SDEXT, or /DATA, or /SYSTEM, or is all that handled automagically?

Finally, note that I can boot back into CWM, use it's SD Partition to re-establish a 2GB partition, boot into CTMod7 - and everything works fine, and I've got 2GB of space to use. Although it's also showing that I've used 176MB - and that's without any applications being (re-)installed!

Thanks for the help and the dev work - your apps are great, and your efforts greatly appreciated!

OK. When you use SSM the extra space will not show up in settings.

With data mode the first ext4 partition is mounted as "/data" meaning the phone perceives it as the phones data partition. This is why it shows on settings.

With SSM the first ext4 partition is mounted as "/data/app" and the second ext4 partition is mounted as "/data/dalvik" this means the first partition is used for user apps the second is used for the dalvik cache and all other data is still stored on the phones internal memory. This includes the apps data folders, your personal settings and text messages (etc)

To see your available storage download terminal emulator from the play store and type
Code:
df
This will list your partitions and their available space.

/dev/block/stl13= /data = your phones internal data partition
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 = your first ext4 partition = /data/app
/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 = your second ext4 = /data/dalvik
/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 = your swap partition. (This is what you set it to in swap settings)

When you switch modes you will need to format your sdext. The reason behind this is because you're switching the file system. You don't want a bunch of left over /data files in /data app. You also don't want a bunch of apk in /data (if that makes sense)

In cwm you will only see one listing. This will wipe the first partition (/data/app in ssm | /data in data mode)

There should be a flashable zip in the op that will wipe the second partition.
OK. No link in the op... but I'm sure its here somewhere. If someone has it, please post a link. In the mean time, I'll see if I have it lying around somewhere

Ah...ok, I think I've got it now. When you said...
"When you use SSM the extra space will not show up in settings."

I didn't realize that you meant that the extra SD card space allocated in the first EXT4 partition would NOT be reflected in /settings/apps...so even though it says I've only got maybe 100MB free, that's not counting the extra 1GB in the partition.

So after a few false starts (or maybe not), I've got the 4 partitions set up, KK in /SSM mode... now I'm trying to check to make sure everything is set up. I went to download Terminal Emulator...and I seem to have lost my Play app! I checked my account settings...my g account is syncing. I then tried reflashing gapps from Goo Manager (gapps-ics)...no Play app. I then went to the Play site, and tried to push a download to the phone...no luck.

Have you heard of this before? Any idea about how I might get back access?

And then, once I do...I'll check the partitions via Terminal Emulator....is there any other way to check that I've got everything set up correctly?

Thanks!
Ed

Hi,

I remember seeing a post, stating that you need to sign out ( or delete ) your Google account on the phone, than reboot and sign back ( or re-create ) into your Google account and PlayStore should show up in your app drawer again !

One last question - I did a CWM backup when I was still in /Data mode....can I simply restore the backup, or because of the new partition structure do I need to move folders/files around?

You should re-install all your apps fresh from the PlayStore...... otherwise you might run into "Force close" problems..... ( don't mess around with moving folders.... if you do, don't cry !!! ;) )

ok- thanks.

Interesting- I checked the partitions with Terminal Emulator, and I've got:
/system/dev/stl13
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2
/dev/block/mmcblk0p3
/data/dalvik-cache/dev/block/vold/179:1

Is that just a result of system addressing, or did I mess up again?

Thanks
Ed

I'm sure I am looking at it wrong!

A complete newbie question - how do I get a screenshot on a phone? Or do I somehow use ADB, a terminal em on the PC, and then grab a screen that way?

In any case...I'm off the PC for the rest of the day...I'll post a screen grab tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help!
Ed

One last question - I did a CWM backup when I was still in /Data mode....can I simply restore the backup, or because of the new partition structure do I need to move folders/files around?

You can restore and use an old backup with no problems. You just can't use parts of the backup to add to a different type other backup. I can switch from ctmod data to ssm to cm7 without any problems.

Ah...an app to take a screenshot. Thanks for the point!

So to review the process I had followed:

- I went into CWM, and formatted /SDCard (let's get a clean slate to start with!) and then formatted /SDExt

- I then booted, went into SDParter, and set up partitions like this:

- I went into KK and set mode to /SSM, and swap settings

- Then I booted back into CWM, and formatted /SDExt, and ran the SSM_Wipe_Dalvik_swap2EXT4formatter zip

This is what TE shows as my partition structure:

Did I get it right?

Attachments

• shot_000003.jpg
    shot_000003.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 235
  • shot_000002.jpg
    shot_000002.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 257
Back
Top Bottom