• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Kernel][GB] KoumaKernel 2.5

Sorry 'bout the double and triple posts. It was on the next page and I thought it wasn't posting.

Now that I think about it, I did in fact do a fresh Odin flash of FF19-rooted before I started this time. Maybe that had something to do with it. So VCE2005 might have been right: Might have been something corrupt in the initial image that carried through.

YIPEE! Got DATA mode working in 3.75.2.

For those who have my issue, here's what I did, listed as instructions.

1) Fresh PNY 8GB Class 10 card;
2) Format as full 8 GB partition in Minitool Partition Wizard (on Win7). Use primary FAT32, with no drive letter assigned;
3) Boot into fresh install of 3.75.2.
4) Using tool (sdparter) on phone under Settings/CTMod Settings/Partition settings, partition card into two approximately equal partitions: 1st=default (FAT), 2nd=ext4);
5) Reboot (contrary to previous instructions, I did not use CWM to format sd-ext at this or any point);
6) Go into CTMod settings/Kernel settings and put phone into DATA mode;
7) Reboot.

About 3 minutes later, I'm in DATA mode with 3.xxGB showing as available Internal Storage!!!:D :D :D

Was gonna' post a screenshot showing the 3.51 available Internal Storage, but I haven't figured out yet how to upload screenshots to posts in this forum.

8) [optional] Because SD card now has no drive letter assigned in Windows, Windows won't be able to read it when SD card is in the SDHC card reader in the Windows box. My Win7 box threw a WPD code 10 error in device manager because it couldn't read the SD card. To solve this issue, return the card to Windows7 box (after unmount or power down of phone) and assign a drive letter to the FAT32 partition on the card using Windows native diskmgmt.msc . Un-lettered SD partitions will be listed at the top of the diskmgmt.msc window. I returned card to phone after doing this, and it still works fine, but now the card can be read with SD card reader on the Windows box.
Good job on getting it working for you, any way that works for each person is great! You don't need that much of internal and that is some wasted space away from the fat! My backups are about a gig and I always keep 2 incase one is or gets bad for some unknown reason, Then pics, vids, files, ect all go in the fat. You will and I say will run out of space and never even come close to filling internal up! Just stating the facts, and congrats on finally getting it to work and think about it before you use for too long and say, I wish I did it differently.

Is there was a way I can get both the internal storage of DATA mode and the (virtual) RAM of SSM? Now that I can load the phone up with programs, I have to be careful not to hog up the RAM. Once the free RAM gets below about 60 MB, the phone gets too sluggish and laggy to be usable. Is there a way to set SSM mode so that I can still use some SD-card space as Internal Memory? Or should I set a swap file too with DATA mode and will the kernel recognize and use it? When I was in SSM mode, my internal storage dropped to stock. I had it partitioned in SSM as FAT32 4GB/ext4 3.5GB/0.5 GB swap -- Was there something else I should have set up SSM.

Now that I'm in DATA mode, I just have FAT32 4.5 GB/ext4 3.5 GB . If I partition differently will I be able to get RAM swap in addition to expanded internal storage while in DATA mode?

Is there was a way I can get both the internal storage of DATA mode and the (virtual) RAM of SSM? Now that I can load the phone up with programs, I have to be careful not to hog up the RAM. Once the free RAM gets below about 60 MB, the phone gets too sluggish and laggy to be usable. Is there a way to set SSM mode so that I can still use some SD-card space as Internal Memory? Or should I set a swap file too with DATA mode and will the kernel recognize and use it? When I was in SSM mode, my internal storage dropped to stock. I had it partitioned in SSM as FAT32 4GB/ext4 3.5GB/0.5 GB swap -- Was there something else I should have set up SSM.

Now that I'm in DATA mode, I just have FAT32 4.5 GB/ext4 3.5 GB . If I partition differently will I be able to get RAM swap in addition to expanded internal storage while in DATA mode?

SSM doesn't enable swap. You can enable swap in both modes.

The way it works is data mode mounts a single partition (sdext) as the entire /data partition

SSM mounts the first partition as /data/app and the second as /data/dalvik

With data mode, if you have two partitions, and one is formatted to swap, you can dimply direct the swap settings in koumamod to mmoclk0p2 (the second partition)

With SSM you need to have 3 partitions (4 if you count the fat partition) then one is used as /data/app, the second as /data/dalvik and the third, if formatted to swap, can be used as swap.

In either case the idea is to have a partition on the sdcard specifically formatted to swap... to use for swap

How do I direct the swap partition in the kernel screen to the swap partition (in DATA and/or SSM)? I had just been creating a directory ("swap") on the sdcard and long-pressing and choosing that directory.

If I create the 4 (including fat) partitions in SSM, will the 2nd and 3rd partitions show up as internal storage in settings/storage?

How do I direct the swap partition in the kernel screen to the swap partition (in DATA and/or SSM)? I had just been creating a directory ("swap") on the sdcard and long-pressing and choosing that directory.[/color]

you longpress and select mmcblk0p2 for data mode, and mmcblk0p3 for SSM.

If I create the 4 (including fat) partitions in SSM, will the 2nd and 3rd partitions show up as internal storage in settings/storage?

no, in SSM, you need to open terminal emulator and run the command
Code:
df

You will see a listing for /data/app and another for /data/dalvik

It will show their available space.
:)

Koumajutsu here,

I've put together a kernel package for our wonderful Prevail.
Super Secret Mod In order to activate the Super Secret Mod (moves /data/dalvik-cache to SD), you do the following (I will not answer questions regarding this, it is for the Advanced user and if you can't figure it out, you're not an advanced user, and seriously, if you can't work ADB and run a CWM zip, you probably shouldn't be modding your phone anyways. Just sayin):

SDparter.apk: My new tool for partitioning SD-Cards.
Old Instructions:
1) Boot into Recovery
2) ADB shell into the phone
3) Run "sdparted -i"
4) Pick a size for a swap partition (CWM doesn't give you many size options, most are probably too small)
5) Pick a size for your EXT partition. Let the fat partiton have the rest.
6) When sdparted completes, manually convert the swap partition to ext4 by using the following:
SD Ext Partition Formatter for CWM
* Suggestions *: Pick the same size for both your ext and your swap partitions, they seem to fill up at about the same rate. For me, I picked 1987, because it is exactly 1/4th of my SDcard so I have swap = 1987, ext = 1987 and vfat = 3974. Total = 7948 (8gig sdcard)

Eevery time I go to partition is asks that I disable all A2SD and unmount card.

Cards unmounted and nothing is running except CMT Mod. Do I need to go back and reformat my card using Clockwork and not use the partition tool?

According to CMT the partitioner is usable with his mod. Comes pre-installed yet it will not partition because it's thinking somethings running that is not.

I had that problem once what I did was partition it in clockworkmod then boot your phone up and go to the partitioning in CT mod and partition it there and then it will work, just remember to make a entire backup of the SD card to your PC you will lose all data and information.

I did that following Bloods tut and it didn't work. I'll try it again if not I'll have to use clockwork for partitioning.

Thank you.

After several attempts it will not partition my sd card. I therefore just used clockwork to partition it.

Hey guys I have a question .......I'm running half-ass rom with kouma kernel and I am upgrading my SD card from an 8gb to a 16gb. My question is if I already have it partitioned and transfer the contents from the old card to the new card and put it in my phone and I set kouma kernel back the way I had it with the old card will my apps and everything go back to working like they did? Just curious ....thanks in advance. :)

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Hey guys I have a question .......I'm running half-ass rom with kouma kernel and I am upgrading my SD card from an 8gb to a 16gb. My question is if I already have it partitioned and transfer the contents from the old card to the new card and put it in my phone and I set kouma kernel back the way I had it with the old card will my apps and everything go back to working like they did? Just curious ....thanks in advance. :)

You need to make a CWM backup and then place that on the new card and restore it and all will be the same, as long as all is partitioned the same!:D

Ok.....so I won't have to copy the contents over from the old card or do I still have to do that?

Also....what do you mean by as long as all is partitioned the same? Because I will be making a larger partition on this 16gb since it's twice the size of my old one. Will that still be ok?

Also....what do you mean by as long as all is partitioned the same? Because I will be making a larger partition on this 16gb since it's twice the size of my old one. Will that still be ok?

Yes it will, just meant at least the same or more partitions is ok, if less partitions then might not work. Changing the size is ok!

Yes it will, just meant at least the same or more partitions is ok, if less partitions then might not work. Changing the size is ok!

Ok thanks.....also what about the previous question I asked? This one>>> Ok.....so I won't have to copy the contents over from the old card or do I still have to do that? Sorry for all the questions but appreciate the help very much....:D

Ok thanks.....also what about the previous question I asked? This one>>> Ok.....so I won't have to copy the contents over from the old card or do I still have to do that? Sorry for all the questions but appreciate the help very much....:D

Yes you will have to
1- make CWM backup
2- backup sd card to pc
3- put in new card and if all partitioned, formatt in cwm the sd-ext
4- put EVERYTHING from old card to new card
5- in CWM restore the latest backup
6- reboot, good to go

Yes you will have to
1- make CWM backup
2- backup sd card to pc
3- put in new card and if all partitioned, formatt in cwm the sd-ext
4- put EVERYTHING from old card to new card
5- in CWM restore the latest backup
6- reboot, good to go

Ok Thanks a lot bro.....appreciate the help! :D I'll report back.

Ok I'm reporting back with my sd card upgrade and I ran into some issues. I did everything I was supposed to do.....CWM backup, backup old sd card to pc, partitioned new card and formatted the sd-ext, put EVERYTHING from old card to new card, restored the latest backup in cwm and rebooted and when it started going through the media scanning on the sd card it was taking an extremely long time to begin with and right in the middle of the media scanning it vibrated once paused a few seconds and then vibrated twice and then did that again a second time and then reverted back to the home screen and the android system restarted and it kept doing it over and over. I don't know what happened but it seems like my phone is not playing nice with the new card. Any ideas why it may be doing that? Please let me know what could be the problem. Thanks in advance.

Ok guys I have another question. I know I'm a P.I.T.A. lol....sorry. If it has already been answered then I apologize.....
I was wondering what would be the best ext sizes for my 16gb sd card? I want to reserve at least 10gb in fat32 for storage(songs,videos etc...) So would 3gb be sufficient enough for each ext if I create 2 exts? Please let me know as soon as you guys can. I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance. :)

Ok guys I have another question. I know I'm a P.I.T.A. lol....sorry. If it has already been answered then I apologize.....
I was wondering what would be the best ext sizes for my 16gb sd card? I want to reserve at least 10gb in fat32 for storage(songs,videos etc...) So would 3gb be sufficient enough for each ext if I create 2 exts? Please let me know as soon as you guys can. I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance. :)

The best size is whatever you think you will use. Personally I use a 1gb sdext. I have barely filled half of it. I don't think I could use the whole gig if I tried.

Not saying YOU want be able to, just that I personally haven't.

Are you planning on using SSM? If so, I THINK I remember kouma saying that the second partition should be the same size and any bigger would be a waste of space. (As the dalvik will not take up more space than the app)

The best size is whatever you think you will use. Personally I use a 1gb sdext. I have barely filled half of it. I don't think I could use the whole gig if I tried.

Not saying YOU want be able to, just that I personally haven't.

Are you planning on using SSM? If so, I THINK I remember kouma saying that the second partition should be the same size and any bigger would be a waste of space. (As the dalvik will not take up more space than the app)

Ok yeah well that,s why I was thinking of making both exts at about 3gb each and reserving 10gb for storage of media. Would that work if I use SSM?

You're right LV. Kouma did recommend making both partitions the same size.

I originally made both of mine 2gb each. At the time I was running a ton of apps and they didn't even begin to put a dent in the partitions. If I were to set it up again I believe I would go with a 1gb partition each because even though I run a lot of apps, I just don't see myself using more that that. Unless you are actually running hundreds of apps, anything larger than 1gb would be a waste IMHO.

@brad74
And to answer your question if that would work.... yes it will work, but as I said above, I honestly think 3gb each would be serious overkill on the space you need.

You're right LV. Kouma did recommend making both partitions the same size.

I originally made both of mine 2gb each. At the time I was running a ton of apps and they didn't even begin to put a dent in the partitions. If I were to set it up again I believe I would go with a 1gb partition each because even though I run a lot of apps, I just don't see myself using more that that. Unless you are actually running hundreds of apps, anything larger than 1gb would be a waste IMHO.

@brad74
And to answer your question if that would work.... yes it will work, but as I said above, I honestly think 3gb each would be serious overkill on the space you need.

Ok thanks for all the help and advice Lordvincent and wetbiker. :D

Back
Top Bottom