• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Kernel][Linaro][O/C][GPL][31 JAN] A-kernel v3.3-r9-fix JB

Apologies guys, the 1.4ghz version is actually 1.8ghz...

I'm about to up the correct version but I'm testing some new changes before I do.

Argh. Everytime I get some really awesome stuff added it breaks the Wi-Fi driver from loading.
Not entirely sure, but I think there is something strange about the Wi-Fi driver in the Rush/prevail2.

I'm done for the night. Do some more tomorrow.
Btw, full, and much more detailed list of changes here on the git commits:
prevail2spr github commits

As I continue working with git , I've found a much more efficient way to test, and then merge new, working (without breaking Wi-Fi), code :-)

Let's see how fast I can work now.

The official Google app: Sound Search for Google Play (for songs/music that was only officially available on Jeally Bean+ ?) is now available for install via the Google Play Store :-)

Finally I can use this awesome widget on my phone!

Updates coming guys, working on some goodies.

For now I have updated the link for the 90zram script. I reduced the amount from 64MB to 32MB. This works better on our phone, and really (unless we had like 4GB of RAM in our phones) the amount shouldn't go above 32MB anyway. Even 16MB would be okay.

Here's the new script: 32MB 90zram script

Also you can just edit the script and change where it says 64 to 32 instead of redownloading. Just make sure you don't change anything else.

Like so:
Change the red 64 to 32. Simple as that.
#!/system/bin/sh
# auto zram activation init script with busybox search
# by show-p1984

echo "[90ZRAM]: Firing up /system/etc/init.d/90zram";

if [ ! -e /sys/block/zram0/disksize ] ; then
echo "[90ZRAM]: ERROR unable to find /sys/block/zram0/disksize";
echo "[90ZRAM]: Is this a ZRAM kernel?";
echo "[90ZRAM]: ZRAM NOT ACTIVATED. (404)";
else
#find busybox in /system
bblocation=$(find /system/ -name 'busybox')
if [ -n "$bblocation" ] && [ -e "$bblocation" ] ; then
echo "[90ZRAM]: busybox found in:" $bblocation;
echo "[90ZRAM]: Setting ZRAM disksize.";
echo $((64*1024*1024)) > /sys/block/zram0/disksize

Updates coming guys, working on some goodies.

For now I have updated the link for the 90zram script. I reduced the amount from 64MB to 32MB. This works better on our phone, and really (unless we had like 4GB of RAM in our phones) the amount shouldn't go above 32MB anyway. Even 16MB would be okay.

Here's the new script: 32MB 90zram script

Also you can just edit the script and change where it says 64 to 32 instead of redownloading. Just make sure you don't change anything else.

Like so:
Change the red 64 to 32. Simple as that.

You recommend changing the number to 32, I want to know what will happen if I try 16?

The official Google app: Sound Search for Google Play (for songs/music that was only officially available on Jeally Bean+ ?) is now available for install via the Google Play Store :-)

Finally I can use this awesome widget on my phone!

Google Ears has been available for a while now, I have a cwm.zip I made to flash it to system/ I believe google just updated it in the store

You recommend changing the number to 32, I want to know what will happen if I try 16?

16 will be good. Zram puts stuff that would normally be cached to disk (slow) in RAM (fast fast). And that script where it says 64, that I downed to 32 just specifies how much space (megabytes) in RAM you want to allocate for zram. So if you set it to 16, only 16MB of RAM will be used for zram/cache before cache gets put to disk where cache normally goes.

Hope that helps explain it.
16 & 32 is the best for our phone. 16 in my opinion is perfect really. Its almost like having a hybrid hard drive with a small cache of super fast SSD (NAND) flash to speedup everything. Just depends on what size you want the super fast cache size to be, so if you use a lot of programs and switch between them a lot, then do 32MB-64MB, if not just use 16MB, either way you'll notice a great boost.

Do not go over 64MB! It won't mess up your phone but it will slow it down a lot. To much memory allocated for zram/cache-to-memory.
I recommend 16-32MB. That's the best for us :-)

How can I tell if zram is automatically starting up at boot?

Once the phone boots just open a terminal app and type 'free'
If you see 0 at the bottom number then the script did not automatically run and zram is not active.

I have not been able to get it to work/run on boot. But I'm making a simple script that will run at boot from another script that is executed every time at boot in the ramdisk. I'm testing it tomorrow and it should work no problem, so hopefully update tomorrow with that and maybe a few other things :-) .

And thank you Krize! My sister 2nd child, but first boy!
Can't wait for this little guy to pop out :-)

Once the phone boots just open a terminal app and type 'free'
If you see 0 at the bottom number then the script did not automatically run and zram is not active.

I have not been able to get it to work/run on boot. But I'm making a simple script that will run at boot from another script that is executed every time at boot in the ramdisk. I'm testing it tomorrow and it should work no problem, so hopefully update tomorrow with that and maybe a few other things :-) .

And thank you Krize! My sister 2nd child, but first boy!
Can't wait for this little guy to pop out :-)
Congrats, if your sister is in the hospital already I'll bet she can't wait for it to pop out too!

Yeah I haven't had any luck with zram running on boot, I just keep activating it manually when I reboot.

Congrats, if your sister is in the hospital already I'll bet she can't wait for it to pop out too!

Yeah I haven't had any luck with zram running on boot, I just keep activating it manually when I reboot.

Haha yeah she is.

And yep me neither. Though it works on my nexus 7 with the same steps that i put in the instructions, for some reason. Probably better init.d support in the kernel or ramdisk.

i downloaded both 1.6 kernels and both say its 1.8.. and 1.4 will not change from 1.8ghz in no frills cpu settings. sorry if this has been answered i am unable to navigate thru messages on my phone. thank you guys

i downloaded both 1.6 kernels and both say its 1.8.. and 1.4 will not change from 1.8ghz in no frills cpu settings. sorry if this has been answered i am unable to navigate thru messages on my phone. thank you guys

Dude download the app
Its easy to use
The ui could use some holo though
And you can't directly post pictures.

Wow!! Very nice job on your work with these kernels animania260, you remind me of the latter day Kumajutsu on the original Prevail forum, you just keep'em coming lol! I don't know where you got all the knowledge to do this stuff but you seem to be doing it pretty damn good!! You have indeed opened so many doors with your latest contributions and I'm quite sure that everyone in this forum really appreciates all the hard and determined work that your doing with these kernels, I for one wish that I still had a functioning Rush as I would be working directly with you as an apprentice to try and harness your skills and knowledge to put it to good use for Android far and wide, good luck with your latest ventures and just know that your efforts are greatly appreciated... :D :car:

Thanks slayer :-)
I'm just learning a lot as I go really. Looking through others kernel's and their commits on github then adding that source to our kernel.
Unfortunately a lot of things I want to add (fixes and optimization, and things/features from newer Linux and Android kernel's) break the WiFi driver from loading for some reason.. But I'm still happy with what we have now.

Update: my new builds are not booting for some reason, even after I reverted everything to stock too. So I'm redoing my Fedora setup, might just be something with my new setup. I'll update again later this weekend.

Thanks everyone for the appreciation; I love the Android community
:-)

Oh and I ment to post this a few days ago, I made a new git repo for the Rush/prevail and Reverb/iconvu kernels.

Master branch is complete stable (the last/current Anikernel) and stock branch is just complete stock, testing branch is just that (lots of goodies in there!) and btest is like my beta branch so I can test those changes then push to master branch if all changes are stable.

https://github.com/animania260/android_kernel_samsung_prevail2.git

Hey everyone, just wanted to share this real quick.
Finally figured out how to do direct downloads from Google Drive with this guide (when you click on the link the download starts immediately or asks where to save- same thing.)

:-)
New downloads will be linked this way. Much easier!

Alright, new build up guys. Prevail2-kernel b2

I removed all the extra CPU gov's. I really don't see any benifet (at least on our device for the most part), though I may add badass and smartassv2 back in at some point. If requested enough I'll add them back if you want.

Added CyanogenMod support!
Almost thought I had dynamic (live, whatever you want to call it) CPU freq change (in ROM) working.. but no (of course).

Edit: re-uploaded b2 build (same build, modified ramdisk) with actual init.d support

Back
Top Bottom