• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] [MS500] Freedom Kernel Overclocked **Updated 6/17/15**

GT awesome kernel super fast and great batt life and ultra stable no reboot from over clocking!!! Another awesome job from Dev GT!!! Can't wait to use your installer that lets you pick between 2 or 3 different versions of Freedom kernel when you get spare time to build it!!!!! Thank you again GT!!!!

Hey GT, have you ever experimented with lowering the min clock speed? mine spends a fair amount of time at 384mhz. I know back on the Nexus 5 they actually were able to set the minimum down to as low as 96mhz. I don't have real proof that it saves on battery, but it makes logical sense to me.

I know it's a different processor and phone so it may not work. But it's an idea to play with if you haven't already.

background apps more unreliable at that low a clock speed. better to undervolt at lower speeds, no negative tradeoff, better battery life. need kernel which allows undervolt tho, and nobody in the know seems interested enough in this feature in this handset so... but nice battery life anyway, esp for a sub 100 phone.

First off, I definitely appreciate all of the work you guys do. Anyway, I am not having any luck with the kernel. I am getting similar if not lower scores than the stock kernel. I've even done a full reset and KDZ to 12b so my slate would be completely clean. I rooted per GameTheory's instruction page, installed f6utilities, booted to recovery, cleared cache, and installed the kernel. Installed setcpu and it confirms the freedom kernel is installed. Charger not plugged in. Governor on performance, cpu up to speed, and I still get low/stock scores on quadrant. Average is around 4700. 2d and 3d scores appear in range but the other three scores are not where they should be. CPU - 7500. Mem - 7200. I/O - 6250. Any insight as to why I have no effects? General browsing doesn't feel any different either. I also looked for the trim log and couldn't find it. I am not running any other programs besides what came on the phone. Am I just SOL? THANKS!

GameTheory, can you do me a favor and run Smartbench 2012, and tell me your score? I get around 3100 consistently. On the other hand, my Quadrant scores are wildly inconsistent. I've gotten from 4500 to 5500. Most of my runs are probably around the 4800 range. Just wondering if maybe there's just something up Quadrant specifically and everything else is fine. Thought maybe I had the same problem as PWVR4TT, but I do get the trim log.

I have an LG Optimus F6 (not MetroPCS) and flashed it with your Xperion rom and Freedom kernal.

GameTheory, can you do me a favor and run Smartbench 2012, and tell me your score? I get around 3100 consistently. On the other hand, my Quadrant scores are wildly inconsistent. I've gotten from 4500 to 5500. Most of my runs are probably around the 4800 range. Just wondering if maybe there's just something up Quadrant specifically and everything else is fine. Thought maybe I had the same problem as PWVR4TT, but I do get the trim log.

I have an LG Optimus F6 (not MetroPCS) and flashed it with your Xperion rom and Freedom kernal.

I have low voltages set for the overclock in this kernel. Some F6's need a little more voltage and therefore wont run good benchmarks with this kernel. Just stick with the stock kernel since it seems your phone needs more voltage.

I don't really want to increase the voltage since most of us are running fine as is and I don't want to increase battery drain with higher voltages.

Okay, I forgot to make a backup before I flashed the kernel. I did make a backup right before I installed the Xperion rom though while it had the original T-mobile 10h firmware. Would restoring it with that backup also restore the original kernel? (sorry, I'm new to this)

Okay, I forgot to make a backup before I flashed the kernel. I did make a backup right before I installed the Xperion rom though while it had the original T-mobile 10h firmware. Would restoring it with that backup also restore the original kernel? (sorry, I'm new to this)

Check the bottom of post #2 in this thread. ;)

Hey GameTheory,
Since hroark13 fixed up the 505 kitkat ROM and from what I read he gave you permission to modify it... Will you update the Freedom kernel with the 505 source? No rush or anything just want to know if that is in your plans. Thanks a ton for your hard work. :)

Hey GameTheory,
Since hroark13 fixed up the 505 kitkat ROM and from what I read he gave you permission to modify it... Will you update the Freedom kernel with the 505 source? No rush or anything just want to know if that is in your plans. Thanks a ton for your hard work. :)

I had no plans to modify or work on his rom. To be honest I like to do my own thing and roll solo to avoid any clash. Not sure what I'm gonna do atm. Would like to wait for HK cm11 to be ready or lg to release kk for usa.

No prob, Thanks

I had no plans to modify or work on his rom. To be honest I like to do my own thing and roll solo to avoid any clash. Not sure what I'm gonna do atm. Would like to wait for HK cm11 to be ready or lg to release kk for usa.

No prob, Thanks

I would not take the KK update from LG if they give one

It will most likely be patched against Loki
It will probably be un-rootable, and patched against towel root and other know root methods
If they block the ability to downgrade using KDZ then you are screwed and stuck with their bloated version of KK

I am focusing more on my KK port at the moment, and not really doing much on CM11

You seem like a cool dude and a really good dev, and you are welcome to use my newest KK port rom as a base ROM for a project, if you want, just be sure to give me credit in the OP

If you would like to collaborate, on something, I guess we can discuss who make the OP and how to deal with donations.

I know you like to roll solo, so no offence taken if you dont want to collaberate

Screenshot_2014-04-13-00-23-27.png

When There's Freedom, There's Potential...
Freedom Kernel

Built from F6 kernel source code.

Overclock kernel for Metro PCS Optimus F6 MS500

Added Features:
  • Unsecured
  • Loki'd
  • 1.404 ghz CPU overclock
  • 1.3 ghz L2 cache boost clock - details
  • Frandom built in for increased speed - details
  • Android TRIM Support - details
  • Conservative governor
  • SmartassV2 governor
  • Intellidemand governor
  • Superbad governor
  • Init.D support - details
** Note **
Run your benchmarks when your phone is "not" plugged in to power or usb. This phone has a safety feature that lowers the cpu clock while charging.

Details & Kernel Download

Changelog in second post.

How to setup Link2SD

If you like my work and want to show some appreciation, please click the thanks button. :)

Enjoy! ;)

Hey bud can i possibly get the version number for this kernel? Thanks

Hey GT, is there a specific way to set this up to get the best use/speed out of the cpu?

Also, I use antutu for bench marking, does that have a different way of calculating scores then what you are using because I can't get mine to break 1,300 at best.

That I understand, I just need to know what governor to use and any other settings that might need to be tweaked to achieve the fastest speeds if possible. Like the I/O scheduler.
I have a overclocking program on here, but I have 0 understanding of the purpose of the governors or I/O here. I want to learn though.

That I understand, I just need to know what governor to use and any other settings that might need to be tweaked to achieve the fastest speeds if possible. Like the I/O scheduler.
I have a overclocking program on here, but I have 0 understanding of the purpose of the governors or I/O here. I want to learn though.

Everyone seems to have their own preferences as to what settings they like. I can tell you mine...
  • interactive governor
  • cfq scheduler
  • 1.2ghz under normal usage and 1.4ghz when I need some more juice like if I do something that causes some lag then I'll clock to max.
I find that with interactive or intellidemand I save the most battery. For my OC app I find SetCPU the most stable.

Play around with different settings to find what you like or just use mine.

I just wanted to say, Thank you to the Developer (GameTheory), For this Welcomed
Edition Kernel and Rom. I have been using This rom since I upgraded from the L9 to the F6.
earlier editions I did have a random Reboot problems. and since then the Rom was updated 2 times. I chose not to update since it was small change. but After alot of Problems and slow downs, I figured I would update. I havent had time to really check out the Update yet. as I also checked out @hroark13's KK Mod. and CM Mod, WIth CM being way to Buggy and KK good, but I miss my wifi calling and Camera.

With all that said, I will stick to this ROM, Since its by far the most stable Custom Rom and Kerne that I have come acrose. And I love to experiment so I have tried many things on this phone as well as my L9 (I dont have anymore). I think I softbricked my L9 over 15 times and almost Total Brick, Thank God to Fastboot for that...

Anyways, I cant thank you enough for all the work that you put into this Phone.
I hope you dont leave it..

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Just a little Note to all the users that say their not receiving the results they hoped for:

I have been using this Kernel and ROM for some time now, Back when I still had CWM. I am a type that likes to start from scratch with installs, I dont like crap left on my storage systems. Even on my 5 Main Computer systems I 0 out the HD's once in a while. Not because of security.. Mainly to make sure I get the speed that I should get without extra unused sectors getting in the way.

Anyhow, CWM doesnt wipe out the storage well. so when I installed this kernel and ROM, I saw no differents really. I thought nothing of it.. After upgrading to TWRP. Thanks to @Hroark13's Port. I was able to do a complete format and wipe of my phones internal Storage.. then after flashing new ROM and Kernel.. then installing SETCPU once again. I notice and seen the diffrents. So wiping your phone's internal storage does make somewhat of a diffrents to all who say they see none at this time..

So before remarking that you see no change, try Wiping your whole Internal storage, then reinstall from scratch. I bet you will you see the diffrents..

This only applys to the many post of people complaining that they see no diffrents.
And all who havent said anything but are experiencing the same problem..

Back
Top Bottom