• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
its incorrect because its not an exclusive. The Nexus Prime has been outed as the GT-i9250 and that means there is another version or worst yet that's the ONLY version.

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about this. The GT model number is an HSPA+ model, like other Samsung phones. Take a quick look at Sprint:

Epic 4G (Galaxy S phone): SPH-D700
Nexus S 4G: SPH-D720
Epic Touch 4G (Galaxy S II phone): SPH-D710

The Nexus S for T-Mobile/AT&T is the GT-i9020T/A

Really, you can't expect the next Nexus phone to be a one handset for all because of the continued co-existance of 3G and 4G standards. Doubtful you'd find a CDMA dual band, HSPA penta-band, LTE (multi-band) phone. The number of radios in the thing would probably make it an inch thick! The curious thing is that the i9250 would potentiall be AT&T plus T-Mobile capable, but what would Sprint get? The SCH-i515 could theoretically be built to include Sprint (CDMA bands are compatible) and in lieu of WiMax, could be part of the upcoming Sprint strategy announcement in October (switch from WiMax to LTE) which would fit in nicely with the next Nexus phone. Imagine the i515: CDMA 800/1900, LTE 700/2500.

Upvote 0
Well isn't the Droid an exclusive Verizon phone ?. .I wouldn't know cuz I hate Verizon and I would never join it, but if that is so, than the NEW version of the Droid meaning the Droid Prime will be exclusively on Verizon.

This means that it will be advertised as if it is a different phone from the rest. .You know the Droid, not the Nexus

And considering that Verizon will CRAP on this phone, than that alone makes it for Verizon customers only, as it'll be a Nexus phone with Verizon Crap on it, meaning totally different from the other carriers. So Verizon will advertise it as this NEW and exclusively on Verizon Droid phone, and like nothing else on the market.

Remember that this could be just like the GS2 where Samsung actually made different versions for every carrier. .The Verizon version of this phone could actually look a bit different from the GSM model (I don't know maybe rounded edges vs none rounded edges?). .Just a thought

That's the strongest possibilities that I believe anyway

Upvote 0
I guess I'm going to chill out waiting for the Prime and lurk over at the Bionic Motorola Support Forums and see what they cry about.

I'm not wishing anything bad on them but am interested in seeing what comes in. Especially with the GPS performance.

I'll give Motorola one thing, they sure do a great job in fielding consumer posts on their boards.

Upvote 0
I guess I'm going to chill out waiting for the Prime and lurk over at the Bionic Motorola Support Forums and see what they cry about.

I'm not wishing anything bad on them but am interested in seeing what comes in. Especially with the GPS performance.

I'll give Motorola one thing, they sure do a great job in fielding consumer posts on their boards.

black_man_x is saying that "heavy users" will be disappointed by battery life. Not much of a surprise, but that would be a turn off to me even if I wasn't interested in the Prime.

Reactions: johnny#5
Upvote 0
black_man_x is saying that "heavy users" will be disappointed by battery life. Not much of a surprise, but that would be a turn off to me even if I wasn't interested in the Prime.

The initial number that was floating around in bionic forum (I think it was from Yodadroid) is 15+ hours under moderate usage. If true, that's close to Charge I guess. We will soon know from reviews.

Upvote 0
Glad I Am Not Getting it, I already see reviewers beating on the Pentile,

"PenTile technology used in Motorola's qHD display makes it super harsh on the eyes. Everything looks super grainy. And this isn't the first Motorola phone with this problem. Any time you're looking at black text on a white background you're due for some eye scrunching. It seems to be a little worse than the problems with the Droid X2, to our eyes. And while the PenTile tech helps save battery, at this point I'm sure it's not worth the trade-off"

Upvote 0
Glad I Am Not Getting it, I already see reviewers beating on the Pentile,

"PenTile technology used in Motorola's qHD display makes it super harsh on the eyes. Everything looks super grainy. And this isn't the first Motorola phone with this problem. Any time you're looking at black text on a white background you're due for some eye scrunching. It seems to be a little worse than the problems with the Droid X2, to our eyes. And while the PenTile tech helps save battery, at this point I'm sure it's not worth the trade-off"
If this is true, this is THE reason I won't be getting the Bionic.

Upvote 0
I was under the impression that black on white text (and vice versa) looked fine on Pentile. Wrong?

Any sharp, high contrast details are difficult to handle with the pentile arrangement and will result in graininess or artifacts. Black on white text is particularly problematic as it represents both sharp edges and high contrast. The only condition where Pentile excels is dithering (ie. pictures) where subpixel arrangement does not matter much.

The common belief here is that for a 4.5" display at 1280x720 effective resolution, the actual pixel density will still be at or above the perceivable resolution of the human eye (at standard viewing distances). If that's the case, your eye is dithering what you see anyway so the non-standard pixel arrangement will never be apparent to you. Remains to be seen if this is true.

Upvote 0
Well isn't the Droid an exclusive Verizon phone ?. .I wouldn't know cuz I hate Verizon and I would never join it, but if that is so, than the NEW version of the Droid meaning the Droid Prime will be exclusively on Verizon.

This means that it will be advertised as if it is a different phone from the rest. .You know the Droid, not the Nexus

And considering that Verizon will CRAP on this phone, than that alone makes it for Verizon customers only, as it'll be a Nexus phone with Verizon Crap on it, meaning totally different from the other carriers. So Verizon will advertise it as this NEW and exclusively on Verizon Droid phone, and like nothing else on the market.

Remember that this could be just like the GS2 where Samsung actually made different versions for every carrier. .The Verizon version of this phone could actually look a bit different from the GSM model (I don't know maybe rounded edges vs none rounded edges?). .Just a thought

That's the strongest possibilities that I believe anyway
It's refreshing to see a post with so little bias. :rolleyes:

I, for one, can't wait for the Prime on Verizon. Been with them for over 10 years, and I honestly can't remember my last dropped call, or the last time I didn't have sufficient service to make a call. Last time I was roaming was a few months ago in the middle of nowhere West Virginia.

My wife's company phone is AT&T, and she has to go on our front porch to make or receive a call and hold a conversation. Sprint was fun for her when we first got married too, since she couldn't even make a call from the tallest building downtown.

There is absolutely NOTHING suggesting that a Verizon Prime wouldn't be Nexus. There is absolutely nothing saying it would have any bloatware on it. Keep in mind, they certainly didn't touch the XOOM, which is still the ONLY pure Google Experience tablet to date.

Upvote 0
Hey Viper,

I went with the DX because of the screen size. At the time I knew nothing about rooting, so an encrypted bootloader was a non-issue for me. Over time, I became a voracious modder and have come to deeply resent the locked bootloader. I enjoy modding so much, now, that I'll never jump through these hoops again. Unlocked, unencrypted bootloader for me.

Welcome back, btw! :D

Oh my! Steven, Viper and Kyle I remember you all from back in the day when we were impatiently waiting for the Incredible... and the mysterious cardboard box! hahah That wait felt like a lifetime. I wouldn't let myself come back to this forum after I bought the Incredible because I knew I would just find a new obsession and now with an upgrade coming up I have ventured back. I remember how unbelievably addicting and stressful this all is! It seems like the Thanksgiving or Xmas will be likely. I can't wait for some pictures. :)

EDIT: on second thought, the Incredible was supposed to be released by Christmas 2009..... it wasn't released until around April 29th 2010.... I cannot stand another wait that long.

Upvote 0
My wife's company phone is AT&T, and she has to go on our front porch to make or receive a call and hold a conversation.

I remember reading a consumer report on how AT&T has more dropped calls in major cities than any other carrier because of the amount of iPhone's on the network.

I have three coworkers who have iPhone's on AT&T and I rarely speak with them without them dropping out. I am Verizon in the Atlanta area.

Upvote 0
you are misunderstanding my point. .I HATE Verizon wireless, (I certainly agree that they have the best service) but I hate EVERY CDMA carrier. .I love my GSM phones. It has nothing to do with that though, that's a whole conversation on its own as to why I hate them so much and would never join them.

I'm just suggesting of how the Prime MIGHT be introduced for you guys on Verizon that's all. .I am NOT saying that it won't be the same phone lol, if anything I'm saying that it will, but simply Verizon will introduce it as the NEXT NEW DROID BEAST ! ! ! which would make the rummers to make somewhat some sense as they said that it will be an exclusive Verizon phone (Which again my opinion is NO WAY IN HELL that it would be and exclusive phone just for Verizon). BUT if they call it a DROID, and lets say that Droid is only on Verizon, than it would make that a Verizon exclusive. .not sure you understand my point.

lol and I guess to add to this dropped calls info of yours, I've been with t-mobile for 8 years, and I have never had a dropped call (except for 3 times when I was in the basement of my friend's house next to huge lake bordering Canada) but again the service is not what bothers me.
I hope they leave it Pure for you guys on Verizon and for every other carrier for that matter. (I'm a fan of phones, but not the carriers if that makes any sense) BUT Verizon has a long long history with blocking phone features, putting passwords on some settings, and loading them with garbage to help and get paid from their third party partners

Upvote 0
lol well that's what I said too, I was disappointed to hear just a 5 megapixel. I know it's all about the sensor and I stated that in my original post, but people on forums want to feel like they're smart, so they go on the attack saying it's not about the megapixel but the sensors(which I had already stated that I knew so that they didn't try that attack), but than you gotta hear 40 people going on and on about the sensor speaking as if they're telling us anything we didn't already know. So they keep repeating how it has everything to do with the sensors as if we don't know that and they're teaching us. But put a nice sensor on 8 megapixel, and than a whole other conversation will start about processing an image that's 8megs instead of 5megs. It's something that can go on forever, so I just shook my head and left it at that. (Cuz if you ask me, I want my rebel T3i built into my phone, and until that's accomplished I won't be satisfied lol) I've had a powerful camera for years and years now with a powerful sensor. .I have had it for 5 years, and it is still better than the Iphone4 camera. .I just wanted something better. So to me the camera will not be the upgrade, but everything else will

Lol so please not another megapixel conversation

Upvote 0
Any sharp, high contrast details are difficult to handle with the pentile arrangement and will result in graininess or artifacts. Black on white text is particularly problematic as it represents both sharp edges and high contrast. The only condition where Pentile excels is dithering (ie. pictures) where subpixel arrangement does not matter much.

That's what I would've thought, but people claim B/W text is great. Sigh. FWIW, it probably looks considerably better with RGBW than RGBG.

Upvote 0
I am NOT saying that it won't be the same phone lol, if anything I'm saying that it will, but simply Verizon will introduce it as the NEXT NEW DROID BEAST ! ! ! which would make the rummers to make somewhat some sense as they said that it will be an exclusive Verizon phone (Which again my opinion is NO WAY IN HELL that it would be and exclusive phone just for Verizon). BUT if they call it a DROID, and lets say that Droid is only on Verizon, than it would make that a Verizon exclusive. .not sure you understand my point.
LOL, what you posted above makes no sense. Something cannot be exclusive if it is on other carriers regardless of the name.

For example, the iPhone. 1+ years ago you could not buy the iPhone on any other US carrier. It was NOT being sold on Sprint as the iPhone Z Class or on T-Mobile as the iPhone XJS. It was exclusive to AT&T.

Calling it the Droid Prime on Verizon and the Nexus Prime everywhere else still does not make it exclusive. If you are talking about the name being exclusive then yes. But BGR made it abundantly clear that the Prime would be a Verizon EXCLUSIVE, meaning you could not get it anywhere else under any other name.

So again, Verizon customers are either getting a different device (i515 is an upgraded Charge or Nexus variant), we are not getting it at all or we are getting the Nexus as is with no Droid monikor and the "exclusive" rumors are false.

Upvote 0
lol well that's what I said too, I was disappointed to hear just a 5 megapixel. I know it's all about the sensor and I stated that in my original post, but people on forums want to feel like they're smart, so they go on the attack saying it's not about the megapixel but the sensors(which I had already stated that I knew so that they didn't try that attack), but than you gotta hear 40 people going on and on about the sensor speaking as if they're telling us anything we didn't already know. So they keep repeating how it has everything to do with the sensors as if we don't know that and they're teaching us. But put a nice sensor on 8 megapixel, and than a whole other conversation will start about processing an image that's 8megs instead of 5megs. It's something that can go on forever, so I just shook my head and left it at that. (Cuz if you ask me, I want my rebel T3i built into my phone, and until that's accomplished I won't be satisfied lol) I've had a powerful camera for years and years now with a powerful sensor. .I have had it for 5 years, and it is still better than the Iphone4 camera. .I just wanted something better. So to me the camera will not be the upgrade, but everything else will

So you understand that megapixels are mostly irrelevant and are not what makes one camera take better pictures than another, and yet you're disappointed that it's only five megapixels and therefore not an upgrade.

Having trouble connecting the dots, are we? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
There are other ways to look at it too.
I shoot a Canon 50D @ 15.1 MP (4752 x 3168 pixels).
I moved to a Canon 7D @18MP (5,184 x 3,456 pixels) and quickly reversed after seeing my hard drives fill up at a rate I was not pleased with.
And very rarely will one use an image at 100% of its originally rendered size. Often a 100% crop is not as sharp or clean as one wants it. Reduce it and it pops.

Lots of people judge the cameras that shouldn't be is another factor.

Knowing how to hold the thing still and press the release is an art in its self.

I hope I get to try a Prime's camera on Verizon.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones