• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got out of a Verizon corporate store where I had to wait a good bit for someone to help me. Was about ready to leave and some manager sent a guy over to me. I was just starting to say I just came in to see if they had a.....and he brings IT out right upto my face. I took and played with it for a good while. Didn't want to ask if I could take pictures so just played with it and discussed the situation with the guy that had it. Nice, but not as exciting to hold as I had hoped. Love it though. Tried some pictures and the 4G and such. Never tried to load the speed test app.

Now for the interesting part of my convo with the rep. We were talking of when I might be able to get it and about the delays. This guy had been waiting along with all of us for it and hasn't got a new phone for AWHILE because of it. But his manager was eaves dropping us and when he mentioned the latest delay was probably because of issues surrounding VZW "blocking" Google Wallet the manager interrupted and said "We" aren't blocking it and reminded him official company line is that they don't have a secure regime for it yet. The rep then went on saying it's pretty much blocked from his perspective. Also asked him if they have stock of it and he said he can't say. That seemed to mean they do in my feeling as he also stated prior that it's possible they could open it up for sale tomorrow.

Just wanted to post my first experience with the GNex. Pretty sure this thing is close as neither him or his manager were bashful about showing the phone off and I never even got the word Galaxy Nexus out of my mouth before I was shown the phone.

Only wondering now which stores WON'T show you them?

Is it normal for Verizon to have phones in stock without a demo to show? After visiting 5+ stores today with confirmation that they are in stock but cannot even open the box and would be FIRED if they were to show me one, I'm concerned that they aren't sure that they are going to ever release it! If they aren't showing it, except in super secret instances as discussed in earlier threads, that makes me guess that the reasons are legal and they cannot be certain that they will be resolved!?!?

Thoughts? At this point, my guess is that any rumored release date is a guess at when the legal antics may be resolved, but fell relatively pessimistic about this now...first time for me since Oct :(

They got tired of people bugging the reps and the reps leaking info so they cracked down and won't let them show/talk about the nexus.

I was told about 5 minutes ago at my local best buy "the phones came in today but we can not sell them till Sunday" guess we'll see sunday

Apple does not have a lawsuit against the nexus. It was against phones/tablets with touchwiz on it and the judge already overturned that one..
Just to be clear, Apple and Samsung have over 100 lawsuits against one another currently.

The recent ruling you speak of did not overturn any lawsuit (and technically, nothing could be overturned since there was never a judgement). The recent ruling only denied Apple's request for a preliminary injuction to ban sales of certain Samsung phones/tablets. Apple was asking to ban imports of Samsung devices that they claim infringed thier patents, and the judge denied that based on evidence provided. However, this didn't actually dismiss any lawsuits, just that Apple wasn't able to get the FTC to ban imports of Samsung devices.

Had to fly to Canada yesterday (fully expecting to miss the US launch) and my browser here keeps directing me to ads for the Canadian GN. $159 on a 3-year deal or $649 no contract. Unfortunately, it's on Bell or Virgin. Not compatible with Verizon.

Virgin.jpg

Torture.

I'm a consultant at HP! shoulda asked me first!

Are you, now? Tell me why my last laptop (which now collects dust) refuses to cool properly? It overheats if I do...anything but browse the internet. The fans are running, and it's free from obstruction.

Of course, it didn't start doing it consistently (maybe 2-3x before) until the warranty had expired...I don't think I'll ever buy another HP laptop again.

Well I am disheartened that we are most likely not going to see our precious tomorrow, as well as by the fact that I am a Virginia Tech student and we had another incident this afternoon...ehh. The only glimmer of hope I've had lately is that I get to graduate in 8 days AND I pulled the trick off that got me unlimited data yesterday. Wait, I guess those two things are more than "glimmers" ;)
First off, pre-congrats on your graduation. Now comes the sucky part, the real world and the terrible economy, lol. Hope you picked a useful major, at least some form of a STEM major. And I also heard about that Virginia Tech shooting. I believe in the right to bear arms, but I don't believe in abusing it for malicious intent. Although we may or may not see the phone tomorrow, keep faithful until tomorrow morning arrives. If it's out, it's out. If not, then whoever is leading the marketing department needs to take some Marketing and Economics classes, because they obviously don't know jack about marketing or demand.

Apple does not have a lawsuit against the nexus. It was against phones/tablets with touchwiz on it and the judge already overturned that one..

Oh well it was the first I had heard of that rumor. So I was just sharing it didn't really think that was the real reason myself though.

So.... The Nexus release was delayed because of the Xyboard.... Dont believe me?

DROID XYBOARDs Should Be Available Tomorrow Via Direct Fill, All Channels December 12 – Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Wonder why the 9th and 12th were both rumored dates and they delayed them both? Thats why... also all that BS about the outage delaying the launch, is just that... BS the Xyboard is 4G as well.

Congratulations to Verizon for passing that 'crap' off on customers as actual good merchandise. That Xyboard is going to be the Eris of the tablet world.

If Tmobile or AT&T offered to buy out my ETF I would switch in a heartbeat. Verizon does NOT care about its customers, they care about what 'crap' they can pass off under its 'DROID' branding line and make money from the 'Branding' Fanboys. The DROID line started as a edgy limit pushing brand.. (OG Droid, DX, RAZR) and has gone back down to the depths of old tech and trickery (D2, D2, DX2, Charge, BIONIC, Xyboard). Screw you Verizon and your attitude towards customers who actually have half a brain and dont buy the 'crap' you pass off. Your network is your saving grace you ******'s.

In my un-edited version, every crap started with a S ;)

So I was just at Best Buy, and for kicks I decided to ask the guy in the mobile dept. if he knew when they'd be selling the Nexus.

Me: "Do you happen to know when you'll be selling the Galaxy Nexus?"
Him: "For...?"
Me: "Verizon."
Him: "Let me check..."

Other mobile guy walks up.

Guy #2: "What's he looking for?"
Guy #1: "Galaxy Nexus."
Guy #2: "They haven't announced a date yet. It says the 11th in our system. We had heard the 9th before. So I'd say between the 9th and the 11th."
Me: "Yeah, that's kind of what I've been hearing."
Guy #2: "We have em, we just can't sell em."
Me: "How many do you have? Do you think you'll run out?"
Guy #2: "We got a bunch. Nobody has come in asking about it, so we should have plenty."
Me: "Man, this is killing me. KILLING ME."

Now, this guy is probably just as misinformed as everyone else is about the release, but he seemed totally honest about it. I personally won't believe anything until I see an official announcement at this point, but I figured I'd post this in case anyone wanted to hear yet another rumored date.

Just to be clear, Apple and Samsung have over 100 lawsuits against one another currently.

The recent ruling you speak of did not overturn any lawsuit (and technically, nothing could be overturned since there was never a judgement). The recent ruling only denied Apple's request for a preliminary injuction to ban sales of certain Samsung phones/tablets. Apple was asking to ban imports of Samsung devices that they claim infringed thier patents, and the judge denied that based on evidence provided. However, this didn't actually dismiss any lawsuits, just that Apple wasn't able to get the FTC to ban imports of Samsung devices.

Whoops that's what I meant. There are so many of them that I lose track of which ones are which lol.:eek:

Managers are most likely under more pressure than regular sales associates, so he may have purposely gone out of his way to obscure it more. Not so much a lie, but saving his own neck---and his job.

The manager didn't have to lie to the customer to honor the NDA or to cover his butt. He could have remained silent.

So.... The Nexus release was delayed because of the Xyboard.... Dont believe me?

DROID XYBOARDs Should Be Available Tomorrow Via Direct Fill, All Channels December 12 – Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Wonder why the 9th and 12th were both rumored dates and they delayed them both? Thats why... also all that BS about the outage delaying the launch, is just that... BS the Xyboard is 4G as well.

Congratulations to Verizon for passing that 'crap' off on customers as actual good merchandise. That Xyboard is going to be the Eris of the tablet world.

If Tmobile or AT&T offered to buy out my ETF I would switch in a heartbeat. Verizon does NOT care about its customers, they care about what 'crap' they can pass off under its 'DROID' branding line and make money from the 'Branding' Fanboys. The DROID line started as a edgy limit pushing brand.. (OG Droid, DX, RAZR) and has gone back down to the depths of old tech and trickery (D2, D2, DX2, Charge, BIONIC, Xyboard). Screw you Verizon and your attitude towards customers who actually have half a brain and dont buy the 'crap' you pass off. Your network is your saving grace you ******'s.

In my un-edited version, every crap started with a S ;)

Great more Droid X rehashing pushes our phone back gvdl you VZW

I'll be getting my extended battery and back cover tomorrow from VZ telesales via Fedex. Has that been thoroughly photographed? If not, I'll take some pics...

OT Hockey -

After a BS call on Kane, and a questionable call on Bolland, the Blackhawks just killed a 5 on 3 penalty!!

Haven't been keeping up well lately but i got a call from my contact. He said its all about Google wallet and associated back and forth bickering. Yet I thought VZW claimed any lack of Google wallet was hardware related? I think its all politics at this point. Stop with the longest wiener contest Verizon and give us the nexus.

Oh, that does remind me. When I was playing with it a few nights ago I did go to market and typed in wallet for the search. No google wallet came up. FWIW but I am not quite sure how VZW can block apps from downloading. I know google can make some apps not appear according to what your phone/tablet specs are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom