• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
This looks to be a very recent development. It had been looking fairly solid for a Nov 17th release here in the UK, but this does not look good.

Yes, the December 2 release is a very recent development, happened only a few hours ago. And it has not been the only one, Expansys and The Order have now joined the December release date.

It is very likely that this is due to lukewarm pre-reviews of the device and the apparent bugs in ICS. As a developer I know that you cannot iron out these bugs with just a few weeks to go before product release, it would still be in 'beta'.

Reactions: magdelaine
Upvote 0
Yes, the December 2 release is a very recent development, happened only a few hours ago. And it has not been the only one, Expansys and The Order have now joined the December release date.

It is very likely that this is due to lukewarm pre-reviews of the device and the apparent bugs in ICS. As a developer I know that you cannot iron out these bugs with just a few weeks to go before product release, it would still be in 'beta'.

But the Gnex has had pretty favorable pre-reviews. We'd all have our torches and pitchforks out otherwise.
I also can't think of any bugs in ICS that would delay it until December, but it could be a security issue or something.

Upvote 0
Verizon Wireless (NYSE: VZ) is the largest wireless phone service provider in the United States with over 94 million customers. The company was formed as a partnership between Verizon Communications and Vodafone.

Do you really think they care what you think? If this whole board jumped to ATT/Sprint who would notice. VWZ loves Moto way more than anything to do with the GSN... Ever think how much MOTO equipment is in VZW towers?
They got us by the short hairs and there's nothing you can do about it. They know they probably will pick up MORE customers with the release of this phone.

BillD

Upvote 0
Possibly the UK stock issue and release delay is good for us in the USA?

I like your thinking, but I don't see how. I am sure they had a plan that allowed for manufacturing both versions, I don't see them delaying Europe's to meet the requirements for Verizon's, especially with Verizon showing favoritism to Samsung's competitors. If one is delayed, they both will be.

Upvote 0
Verizon Wireless (NYSE: VZ) is the largest wireless phone service provider in the United States with over 94 million customers. The company was formed as a partnership between Verizon Communications and Vodafone.

Do you really think they care what you think? If this whole board jumped to ATT/Sprint who would notice. VWZ loves Moto way more than anything to do with the GSN... Ever think how much MOTO equipment is in VZW towers?
They got us by the short hairs and there's nothing you can do about it. They know they probably will pick up MORE customers with the release of this phone.

BillD

The thing is, the people on this board aren't the only ones interested in this phone. The Gnex seems to be on track to really become a mainstream phone.
Not only that, but out of those 94 million customers, the ones that have data plans are the most profitable for Verizon. When you think about it, despite the fact that we're a slim chunk of their consumer base, we're the most valuable slim chunk :D

Not saying we have that much sway with them, but don't underestimate how much impact consumers have either.

Upvote 0
The further this phone gets pushed back, the more I decide I can wait for something else that will release in Q1 of 2012.

Does it seem like Verizon has more than their fair share of phones which get pushed back. Thunderbolt, Bionic, Now the GNex. Shoot, they even pushed their #1 phone back a day for marketing reasons. What is up?

Upvote 0

BillD

Thanks, never heard that argument 1000000 times before. Lol. ;)

To a point I agree, but no matter how big a company is they are never happy to lose customers. I am not saying it could happen but if everybody on the forums plus a few more people would leave verizon over this I'm sure they would take notice. Even though it's not a large amount in the grand scheme of things is would be enough to make them notice

Upvote 0
I'll be welding ALL DAY. So there better be some good news today!

Is that a concealed threat to weld people if there's no news?? :p

The further this phone gets pushed back, the more I decide I can wait for something else that will release in Q1 of 2012.

No, I want a pure phone.

I think its made it to pathetic already.....I'm starting to care less and less about this launch as the days go by and the BS and uncertainty increases

I look at it as a way to pass time with people just as nutty as me.

Reactions: BobF
Upvote 0
This roller coaster WILL eventually end, and this EPIC thread will be closed for all eternity.

Then will come a NEW roller coaster: the euphoria of launch and ownership will be often overshadowed by ICS' limitations and bugs... er, "undocumented features". So will this manic behavior really ever end? :thinking:

Get used to it, folks. The ups and downs are here to stay, so we may as well share in it together. It's all part of owning a superphone.

Upvote 0
In other news, the brand new AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (which is their 4G version of the GS2) was slashed to $149.99.

Really good deal if you're on AT&T, if you ask me. I would be tempted if I wasn't on Verizon.

Edit: ah, I was led astray. The AT&T website still says $249.99 (which is still better than Verizon's prices for a 4G phone, sigh...) so whatever article I read was just lying. Nothing to see here folks :eek:

Reactions: kcs7272
Upvote 0
Can VZW please just release this phone or give us a date?!?!???!? I need to quit lurking and get working!

I honestly don't think Verizon know. If Samsung UK can come out on Friday and announce the UK release date as the 17th, then 3 days later it looks like it's getting pushed back to the 2nd Dec, then how would an operator know the correct date. I think it's Samsung you need to be annoyed with, not VZW.

Upvote 0
No, I want a pure phone.

I did too, but this nonsense is too much. Heck...I'm not even ruling out going back to an iPhone. At least I will know that updates will roll out in a timely fashion with them. If I don't get a Nexus, who knows when updates will come. To be honest, the specs on the Nexus underwhelmed me. Couple that with the fact that 2012 is right around the corner and several manufacturers will release dual core LTE smartphones launching with ICS soon, it makes me wonder how long the Nexus will even be considered a top teir phone. I predict before March comes around there will be a handful of other phones that blow the Nexus away. The Samsung Galaxy S released in June 2010 and the SII in February 2011. The SIII is just around the corner.

Upvote 0
This roller coaster WILL eventually end, and this EPIC thread will be closed for all eternity.

Then will come a NEW roller coaster: the euphoria of launch and ownership will be often overshadowed by ICS' limitations and bugs... er, "undocumented features". So will this manic behavior really ever end? :thinking:

Get used to it, folks. The ups and downs are here to stay, so we may as well share in it together. It's all part of owning a superphone.

Blasphemy! This phone is going to be perfect!

:D;)

Upvote 0
Have a question for all. I have noticed that some in here have the asus transformer. If I can't get my subsidized Tmo GN until 2012, I was considering getting the new transformer coming out this month. My question is how much can this thing be used like a "laptop"...I know I can edit office files because I do that on my phone, but we use computers a lot to score games for the baseball team and things like that. So a 12 hour battery really appeals to me. I was considering keeping my pitching charts digitally, and things like that. I would use excel for a lot of this. Other concerns are, can I easily hook up a bus powered hard drive to one of these things the same way you can with a computer??? Any opinions??

Upvote 0
While I'm talking about other phones (forgive me, Gnexers), a couple of RAZR reviews have popped up, and the general consensus seems to be "anything is better than the Bionic". Haha, but seriously, they seem pretty mixed.

Review: Droid Razr a stunning, slim smartphone, but battery lacks | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Motorola Droid RAZR review | The Verge (they say the screen is even worse than the Bionic's, take that how you will)

Not that I ever had any doubts, but now I'm definitely waiting for the Nexus, no matter what, after reading this reviews.

Upvote 0
I did too, but this nonsense is too much. Heck...I'm not even ruling out going back to an iPhone. At least I will know that updates will roll out in a timely fashion with them. If I don't get a Nexus, who knows when updates will come. To be honest, the specs on the Nexus underwhelmed me. Couple that with the fact that 2012 is right around the corner and several manufacturers will release dual core LTE smartphones launching with ICS soon, it makes me wonder how long the Nexus will even be considered a top teir phone. I predict before March comes around there will be a handful of other phones that blow the Nexus away. The Samsung Galaxy S released in June 2010 and the SII in February 2011. The SIII is just around the corner.

If I remember correctly, there was a HUGE rumor that consumed the iPhone community, and people who were hyped up about that had a MUCH bigger disappointment then us having a delayed shipping date. They had to come to terms with the fact that their dream phone wasn't coming at all (at least soon).

Upvote 0
Have a question for all. I have noticed that some in here have the asus transformer. If I can't get my subsidized Tmo GN until 2012, I was considering getting the new transformer coming out this month. My question is how much can this thing be used like a "laptop"...I know I can edit office files because I do that on my phone, but we use computers a lot to score games for the baseball team and things like that. So a 12 hour battery really appeals to me. I was considering keeping my pitching charts digitally, and things like that. I would use excel for a lot of this. Other concerns are, can I easily hook up a bus powered hard drive to one of these things the same way you can with a computer??? Any opinions??

I can do all that with my Iconia. Although no attachable keyboard (I use a bluetooth) and no associated battery boost, I can still go 3-4 days of light use, and close to 2 with medium use.

Reactions: coach26
Upvote 0

True. But I want a phone without a UI to muck it up. And I would like to enjoy my phone without feeling like I have to flash roms to get that way.

Upvote 0
While I'm talking about other phones (forgive me, Gnexers), a couple of RAZR reviews have popped up, and the general consensus seems to be "anything is better than the Bionic". Haha, but seriously, they seem pretty mixed.

Review: Droid Razr a stunning, slim smartphone, but battery lacks | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Motorola Droid RAZR review | The Verge (they say the screen is even worse than the Bionic's, take that how you will)

Not that I ever had any doubts, but now I'm definitely waiting for the Nexus, no matter what, after reading this reviews.

Add BGR's review to the mix. Overall he likes it.
Motorola DROID RAZR review

Nice quote "The RAZR lasted days as far as standby time is concerned, and even with moderate use, the phone went for almost two days"

Upvote 0
If I remember correctly, there was a HUGE rumor that consumed the iPhone community, and people who were hyped up about that had a MUCH bigger disappointment then us having a delayed shipping date. They had to come to terms with the fact that their dream phone wasn't coming at all (at least soon).

Apple launches are overhyped every year. I knew about what to expect with the iPhone 4s. I knew they wouldn't release a redesigned iPhone 5. I do suspect they will do that next year though. I love the openness of Android, but I hate they way they handle releases and updates. Apple has got it right. They control it all. They tell you when they are going to announce the phone and they tell you at the announcement when the phone is going to be available....Verizon/AT&T/T-mobile marketing departments be damned...this is our phone and you'll release it when we tell you to. If Samsung and Google had done this with the Nexus, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. Instead they announce they are having a presser on Oct 11th (or whatever the date was) then they delay that indefinitely but "soon" and finally we find out about that. Then at that presser, they give no release timeframe other than "this year". This is where Apple does a much better job. When they have the presser, you know the phone will be coming within a week or two before they even have the event. They then confirm the release date at the event. End of story, everyone knows when they will get their phone, and there is no paranoia.

Upvote 0

Really? This argument again? Keep waiting for the "next big thing" and stay in limbo the rest of your life.

yes S3 is right around the corner

yes 3 months after SGN gets released, something will blow it away

yes quad core devices and a 3D 1080p HD screen thats a perfect fit in anybody's hand will be out the day after the S3 gets release

yes the sun will rise tomorrow therefore you can wait if you want to

Go ahead and keep waiting. I'm going to buy a phone.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones