• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official* iPad Thread

Netbook vs iPad is like comparing the iPad to your Moment, not the same thing. Need to compare table to tablet. So lets see what the competition comes up with.
Right. Because they are no where near the same category? You believe that. even the apple overlord steve jobs compared ipad to netbooks and the netbook convertible is definitely in the same category. open your eyes a bit buddy.

^^Good point. They are about equally as portable which is a big factor. And you can do much more with the cheaper netbook.

^^Good point. They are about equally as portable which is a big factor. And you can do much more with the cheaper netbook.

Try walking down the street while typing on a netbook, or standing in a line. Try using the touchscreen on a netbook. Try playing games where you control the movements by turning your netbook. Shall I continue?

Try walking down the street while typing on a netbook, or standing in a line. Try using the touchscreen on a netbook. Try playing games where you control the movements by turning your netbook. Shall I continue?

First off, a netbook doesn't need a touchscreen. Secondly I don't envision people walking around with their iPads instead of their iPhones or itouches while typing. If they're going to haul around someting less portable, it's to do work that can't be done on their phones, a place where the iPad fails in comparison to a netbook. And anybody serious about gaming will not spend the money on an iPad (unless they have money to burn of course and are somewhat clueless).

First off, a netbook doesn't need a touchscreen. Secondly I don't envision people walking around with their iPads instead of their iPhones or itouches while typing. If they're going to haul around someting less portable, it's to do work that can't be done on their phones, a place where the iPad fails in comparison to a netbook. And anybody serious about gaming will not spend the money on an iPad (unless they have money to burn of course and are somewhat clueless).

Sorry, but I am spoiled by the iPad's big and awesome screen. Going back to a low res, tiny little 3.2 inch screen after using it is laughable. I havent touched my Hero for anything but to call and text since I got my iPad, but thanks for the info hater :)

Sorry, but I am spoiled by the iPad's big and awesome screen. Going back to a low res, tiny little 3.2 inch screen after using it is laughable. I havent touched my Hero for anything but to call and text since I got my iPad, but thanks for the info hater :)

Well it's good (for Apple at least) you're not only willing to settle for less, but happy to boot. You're certainly the kind of sheep Apple is looking for.

Thing is on a 3.2 inch screen, unless it's like 100x100, you won't notice a difference between smaller resolutions. And the resolution on the ipad is average size resolution. You seem to also forget that the Hero is a phone, and the ipad is a "tablet". Phones are made to be portable. My problem with the ipad though, is I can get a netbook at half the cost at double the performance and capabilities.(Flash, custom programs, expandability, dependability, etc) Majority of people don't walk and use their pads anyway from what I've seen so far, same with netbooks. I'm fine if you like your ipad, but don't go around saying that it's superior or revolutionary when it's nothing of the sort.

Oh, here's a tablet that does everything a netbook can do.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146704

Thing is on a 3.2 inch screen, unless it's like 100x100, you won't notice a difference between smaller resolutions. And the resolution on the ipad is average size resolution. You seem to also forget that the Hero is a phone, and the ipad is a "tablet". Phones are made to be portable. My problem with the ipad though, is I can get a netbook at half the cost at double the performance and capabilities.(Flash, custom programs, expandability, dependability, etc) Majority of people don't walk and use their pads anyway from what I've seen so far, same with netbooks. I'm fine if you like your ipad, but don't go around saying that it's superior or revolutionary when it's nothing of the sort.

Great, so go buy your netbook and stop posting in this thread :)

Too bad I'm not interested in a netbook. And, I'll post here if I want. :D The topic is about the ipad, and I have been posting about it.

Too bad I'm not interested in a netbook. And, I'll post here if I want. :D The topic is about the ipad, and I have been posting about it.

So you brag about how superior a device is you arent even interested in? What is your purpose in this thread? To stir shit up and troll? Thats about all you are doing...Do you also go into Nexus One threads and bash it as well, troll?

It's funny that you call me a troll, and the reason I was talking about the netbook and other tablet is to have a backup and a source for my argument. I'm not trolling anything, all I'm doing is giving a reason for my arguments.

But don't start throwing names around now, I understand this is the lounge, but it's still an Android forum. If anything, most of the posts you've responded to me have been trolling posts many times. Now for the sake of the topic of the thread, I'm not gonna go on about how much you troll and how much of a hypocrite you are, if you have an issue with me then you take it up with me in PM.

It's funny that you call me a troll, and the reason I was talking about the netbook and other tablet is to have a backup and a source for my argument. I'm not trolling anything, all I'm doing is giving a reason for my arguments.

But don't start throwing names around now, I understand this is the lounge, but it's still an Android forum. If anything, most of the posts you've responded to me have been trolling posts many times.

Going to a thread just to bash the product in that thread and stir shit up with others in it is the very definition of trolling troll.

Funny how you're the one starting it always. And I'm not stirring up anything, I'm not throwing any personal insults, not insulting your or the inelegance of anyone in this thread, all I'm doing is posting about the ipad and what I find in it's flaws. Now if I were saying that the ipad is nothing but an expensive paperweight, that would be an example of trolling. Again, if you have an issue with me, take it up with me in a PM. This topic isn't for you to throw claims at people.

Yes, it is I your worst nightmare back again.

Listen people, stop the name calling, or I will lock the thread. We can discuss things without going overboard. Use the PM system if need be.

TS

Why do you bash Android whenever you can.... but whenever we get the chance to bash Apple, you defend it like its your own mother?

Why do you bash Android whenever you can.... but whenever we get the chance to bash Apple, you defend it like its your own mother?

Does everyone who owns an Android device have to love it and never think anything negative about it? I sure hope not. Overall, I really like it. However, I really feel Google needs to get everything sorted out quickly. The thing that has pissed me off most is 2.1 being out for 3 months now while my Hero is still running 1.5, a full THREE updates behind. That is ridiculous for a phone thats not even 6 months old. Not like we are talking about some old device. Having a bunch of different handsets running 1.5, 1.6, 2.0 and 2.1 is just beyond stupid. If Google cannot control their software, they need to limit Android to the carriers who can actually keep their customers updated. Not being able to access 1.6+ apps on a new phone is just pathetic and I am sick of waiting for Sprint whos taking their sweet ass time because there is zero financial incentive for them to give us the update. Meanwhile, devs working alone at home can get 2.1 running just fine on the Hero, that is unacceptable. So that is my problem with Google/Android/Sprint.

1.) Sprint is not responsible for the update. The manufacturer is. Blame htc.

2.) Boohoo a whole three months.

3.) Let's see apple pus 3/4 updates a year, then we'll talk.

4.) Your handwriting is bad.

5.) Why would you want me anywhere near your bum.

6.) Grow up

1.) Sprint is not responsible for the update. The manufacturer is. Blame htc.

2.) Boohoo a whole three months.

3.) Let's see apple pus 3/4 updates a year, then we'll talk.

4.) Your handwriting is bad.

5.) Why would you want me anywhere near your bum.

6.) Grow up

Yes, Sprint IS responsible. The acknowledged months ago they had the update and it was in testing. That means its taking them forever because they are trying to get all their bloatware like NASCAR and the rest to work and they are taking their time.

Google has said the only reason they came out with so many updates so soon was to get the Android OS where they wanted it to be. Now that it is, you wont be seeing more than 1 OS update a year. So pretty much just like Apple...

I anticipated this threads response, but it turns out this thread has exceeded my expectations as having the most preemptive stupidity against a product within a product thread.

The discussion about the iPad which I'm sure 80 percent of you don't own just digresses into an apple " closed" closet paranoia.

Isn't it possible that we can own more than one OS? I haven't read more than one post that contributes.

TS mod. I read your evo thread and its great. how do you read this pos every night?

This is the type of thread that will literally alienate everyone from buying into android. Whether it's a phone, tablet , computer anything. Just when your os is gaining respect.

Very stupid.

Yes, Sprint IS responsible. The acknowledged months ago they had the update and it was in testing. That means its taking them forever because they are trying to get all their bloatware like NASCAR and the rest to work and they are taking their time.

Google has said the only reason they came out with so many updates so soon was to get the Android OS where they wanted it to be. Now that it is, you wont be seeing more than 1 OS update a year. So pretty much just like Apple...

No, HTC is responsible. Just because something is in testing, doesn't mean HTC isn't doing the work.

Where did you get that from? There are already rumors of version 2.2 being tested. Plus there's an update to 2.1 that will deal with the 32gig sdcard format issue. If there's some inside info you are privy to, please share.

Where did you get that from? There are already rumors of version 2.2 being tested. Plus there's an update to 2.1 that will deal with the 32gig sdcard format issue. If there's some inside info you are privy to, please share.

Straight from Engadget a few weeks ago...

Exclusive: Android Froyo to take a serious shot at stemming platform fragmentation -- Engadget

The second part of this doubled-edged attack on platform fragmentation comes from a simple reality: we're hearing that Google may be nearing the end of its breakneck development pace on Android's core and shifting attention to apps and features. By the time we get to Froyo, the underlying platform -- and the API that devs need to target -- will be reaching legitimate maturity for the first time, which means we should have far fewer tasty treat-themed code names to worry about over the course of an average year. We like awesome new software as much as the next guy, but Google's been moving so fast lately that they've created a near constant culture of obsolescence anxiety among the hardcore user base -- and in turn, that leads to paralysis at the sales counter.

^^lol, I'm not sure I'd look to Engadget and their 'reliable' source for inside info but if their speculation is accurate, they implied Froyo (ie 2.2) will bring Android to maturity for the first time. So if we are to assume that means Google will be 'where they wanted to be' as you put it, then we need wait for 2.2 to see any major slow down in kernel development. So no, Google is not there yet.

Back
Top Bottom