• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*** Official Motorola Droid X Pre-Release Thread***

Interesting tidbit of information I just found out: single lines can get an annual upgrade if they're on a plan of at least $50. The base plan itself has to be $50, not a combination of all the features, but all you have to do is either be on at least the 900 minute plan, or be on the 450 plan with unlimited texting.

So there's no reason to ever do a 1 year contract if you're a single line on one of those plans- you get 2 year pricing on a phone, but a new phone every year..

Something to consider for everyone who's getting an X.. 2 Ghz Gingerbread LTE phone anyone?? :D

I don't mind a 2 year contract since I'm doing a family plan with my wife. The primary line gets a phone upgrade every year.

Interesting tidbit of information I just found out: single lines can get an annual upgrade if they're on a plan of at least $50. The base plan itself has to be $50, not a combination of all the features, but all you have to do is either be on at least the 900 minute plan, or be on the 450 plan with unlimited texting...

@ibowtoandroid
I posted the Annual Upgrade Policy a few pages ago. But thanks for putting further clarification on it. Yeah it's definitely worth getting it for 199 w/ 2yr plan instead of 279 or whatever a 1 year contract is.

Annual Upgrade policy from the Verizon website:

You can get a new phone every year with Annual Upgrade. Sign up for a 2-year agreement on a calling plan of at least $49.99 and you can purchase a new phone at its promotional price through My Verizon every year with a 2-year renewal (upgrade fee may apply).

Interesting tidbit of information I just found out: single lines can get an annual upgrade if they're on a plan of at least $50. The base plan itself has to be $50, not a combination of all the features, but all you have to do is either be on at least the 900 minute plan, or be on the 450 plan with unlimited texting.

So there's no reason to ever do a 1 year contract if you're a single line on one of those plans- you get 2 year pricing on a phone, but a new phone every year..

Something to consider for everyone who's getting an X.. 2 Ghz Gingerbread LTE phone anyone?? :D

Nice, i will be upgrading to the droid x and then doing the 900 minutes, does that count too?

Passing on some info, and forgive me if this has already been posted...

To be sure I was eligible for an early upgrade, I contacted customer service via email on the Verizon Wireless website. The good news is that I am, but here is the interesting bit that I have not seen posted yet:

wfmneirt@HQ.VerizonWireless.net said:
Mr. XXXXXXXXX, your mobile number ending in XXXX will have the opportunity to upgrade to a 3G Smartphone early. This special offer will expire on August 31, 2010. You will be able to take advantage of this offer through our Customer Service Department, or by visiting a direct Verizon Wireless store.

I got my Incredible on June 23 and I am not happy with the battery life.

Can I return it and order the Droid - X? how much do I have to pay?

Do I need to go ahead and do the rebate for the Incredible?

I got my Incredible on June 23 and I am not happy with the battery life.

Can I return it and order the Droid - X? how much do I have to pay?

Do I need to go ahead and do the rebate for the Incredible?
Yes you can return it, you might have to pay a $35 restocking fee.

Only do the rebate if you don't want to return the phone :P can't return it afterwards.

You can return the Incredible even after you cut out the rebate, they will just re-charge you for the amount of the rebate. I did this yesterday with my incredible.

What was your date? Just asking because mine is Aug. 18th.

My previous date was July 24th. However, before that, I was on the old ACII plan and my NE2 date wasn't until December. I switched my plan to Nationwide and they bumped me up to July 24th when I did that. I guess they didn't see any harm in moving me up a few more days to coincide with the X launch date. But now I just heard about the Samsung Fascinate coming to Verizon so this makes my decision harder...the X or wait?

Looks like the X's default settings are 6mp and not 8 to conserve storage space.

BGR update it's post with some new photos after he switched settings.

It sure looks like iphone4 shots had some contrast boost in it. Though the poster claims he didn't shop them.

iPhone 4 vs. Droid X: A Head-to-Head Comparison - PCWorld
PC World offers an entirely different tale:
Apple's 5-megapixel iPhone 4 beat out the Droid X for overall image quality in our tests, serving up well-exposed, brightly colored images in our lab tests.” The Droid X’s 8-megapixel camera was better in sharpness tests but in all other tests iPhone 4 came on top.

And with the 8MP BGR update I gotta say that the X's photos look more natural than the iPhone 4's. Personally I find contrast-boosted, super sharp pictures more appealing so I would rather the X take photos that looked like the iPhone's, but as a future X owner I'm ok with the 8MP results. I'll be changing that setting immediately after activation..

Wow, so I called Verizon and they know about the Droid X now but they still have no idea about them allowing early upgrades. They told me no they are not allowing anyone to upgrade early for this phone.

I tried informing him but he was pretty clueless.

UPDATE: Talking with a new rep now, she is extremely nice, and is helping me out currently. She informed me that she learns more from the customers the she does on her end. She said Friday she had no idea about an early upgrade until she talked to a customer. Also she said they are going to go by the upgrade date. She is in the process of moving my upgrade date right now.

I will update with the results.

Wow, so I called Verizon and they know about the Droid X now but they still have no idea about them allowing early upgrades. They told me no they are not allowing anyone to upgrade early for this phone.

I tried informing him but he was pretty clueless.
You should've told them to pull up the press release on VZW's site.
In addition, current Verizon Wireless customers who have contracts ending by December 31, 2010, can upgrade to any smartphone, including DROID X, without penalty
July 2010: DROID X By Motorola Lands On The Nation

After talking with the last rep she said my account has notes in it saying I will be eligible when I am ready. So I guess this is good news, I was hoping they would just move it up right now, but I am still satisfied. Now all I need to do is go in on the 15th to a store and order.

Hopefully no hassle at all.

Back
Top Bottom