• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*** Official Motorola Droid X Pre-Release Thread***

Ok here's the deal on the internal memory:

6.3 available to the user, for apps ONLY- no media whatsoever. So in other words, you can't take pictures
Moto and verizon are misleading people, making them think you get up to 24 gb's of ram. They should just level with people and tell them the truth...

You do get 24 its just that most android devices don't have internal memory so most current apps don't take advantage of the internal memory.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Ok here's the deal on the internal memory:

6.3 available to the user, for apps ONLY- no media whatsoever. So in other words, you can't take pictures or transfer music to the phone without a memory card in it
I'd like to know how you verified this. Apps go to a special partition that is generally not available to the user. Mounted Either /system/app or /data/app. Internal user memory on the htc at least is mounted on /emmc. Could you explore the file system on the phone you verified this and report the folder structure?

I just ordered my Accessories from Verizon wireless. I just told her a friend of mine had purchased them over the phone and she did not even ask any questions just started taking my order. I got the HDMI station/charging dock and Car mount and Body Glove snap on belt clip combo all for $98 and some change. (25% discount from work) Put it on my visa, got an order # and was told it will ship Monday a.m. I got my fingers crossed waiting for a tracking #.
Odie

*The charge from Verizon just showed up on my Debit/Visa card.*

Noticed in the Best Buy weekly ad today, that they are inviting everyone to pre-order Droid-X today in store or online so we won't be left out.

I just bought it yesterday. I think he had a version that looked just like the HTC widget and that's the one he took off.
I have both but like his new stuff better. After getting the Incredible I got tired of the clock widget anyways.

Moto and verizon are misleading people, making them think you get up to 24 gb's of ram. They should just level with people and tell them the truth...

I think you mean 24 GB of ROM, but I see your point..

What are talking about? It mounts as an hd which you can easily transfer media to. I don't get it I have my media on it.

This is ROM- does not mount as a HD

I'd like to know how you verified this. Apps go to a special partition that is generally not available to the user. Mounted Either /system/app or /data/app. Internal user memory on the htc at least is mounted on /emmc. Could you explore the file system on the phone you verified this and report the folder structure?

This internal memory is NOT mountable- just verified this. Removed SD card, downloaded a few large apps, and available space went from 6.3 GB to 6.24 GB- tried mounting the phone with no SD card installed, and it's a no-go. Also tried taking pictures without the SD card in, and it says to install SD card before taking any. For the sync option, the X uses "Windows Media Sync" in place of "HTC Sync" on the Incredible- tried to load some files via WMP, and that was also a no-go. So the 6.3 GB is ROM for pure app storage, no media storage capabilities at all. But that's great news- there's never been a ROM over 750 MB for app space before :D

So..... Let's just say, THEORETICALLY of course, that I had an X in hand, and that I MIGHT have it for the next 18 hours or so... What other kinds of questions MIGHT you guys wanna ask about it that I MIGHT be able to answer??

Edit:

almost forgot.... HOLY FREAKIN CRAP is this thing fast.. When I was downloading those apps, they absolutely flew.. Even a 6 MB app like Google Earth was completely downloaded and installed in 15 seconds- my stock Droid and Incredible took about 3 times that long to download the same app over the same WiFi G router with a cable internet connection, with all running apps killed.. wow..

This internal memory is NOT mountable- just verified this. Removed SD card, downloaded a few large apps, and available space went from 6.3 GB to 6.24 GB- tried mounting the phone with no SD card installed, and it's a no-go. Also tried taking pictures without the SD card in, and it says to install SD card before taking any. For the sync option, the X uses "Windows Media Sync" in place of "HTC Sync" on the Incredible- tried to load some files via WMP, and that was also a no-go. So the 6.3 GB is ROM for pure app storage, no media storage capabilities at all. But that's great news- there's never been a ROM over 750 MB for app space before :D

So..... Let's just say, THEORETICALLY of course, that I had an X in hand, and that I MIGHT have it for the next 18 hours or so... What other kinds of questions MIGHT you guys wanna ask about it that I MIGHT be able to answer??

Edit:

almost forgot.... HOLY FREAKIN CRAP is this thing fast.. When I was downloading those apps, they absolutely flew.. Even a 6 MB app like Google Earth was completely downloaded and installed in 15 seconds- my stock Droid and Incredible took about 3 times that long to download the same app over the same WiFi G router with a cable internet connection, with all running apps killed.. wow..

Well I am glad that you could theoretically answer what you already have answered.

I think he had it correct. The SD card is flash RAM the internal is also ram although it looks like according to you it's non mountable. Doesn't make it Read Only Memory and the SD card is differently not Read Only Memory.

Hmmm well that would be extremely stupid and a total waste of RAM:rolleyes:.

You would need to download about ever app on the market to fill up 8g

Are you sure you had the camera set to use the correct storage? on Dinc you can pick.

That's becasue it's crazy to have one 8g in size:D
I thought the Inc had 1g for apps.

When you plug it in to your PC does it only mount one drive?

I think he had it correct. The SD card is flash RAM the internal is also ram although it looks like according to you it's non mountable. Doesn't make it Read Only Memory and the SD card is differently not Read Only Memory.

Hmmm well that would be extremely stupid and a total waste of RAM:rolleyes:.

You would need to download about ever app on the market to fill up 8g

Are you sure you had the camera set to use the correct storage? on Dinc you can pick.

That's becasue it's crazy to have one 8g in size:D
I thought the Inc had 1g for apps.

When you plug it in to your PC does it only mount one drive?

Oh I was thinking he was confusing DDR RAM with actual HDD storage space..

Well yea, you'd need to download hundreds of apps to fill up the 6.3 GB, but lots of people can eat up a huge chunk of a 512 MB ROM between apps, texts, contacts, and everything else that gets stored on there, and then their phone runs like crap with that much toll on the memory.. Personally, I'd love to have this on my Inc just for the breathing room, even though I'd never use it all

Tried the camera settings- there is no option to select where to store pictures once taken- SD card only.

It wont mount anything unless the SD card is in there

This is interesting. When you mount an INC to a PC you get two flash drive letters. One for internal flash and one for the SD flash.

However you didn't actually do what I asked. It is entirely possible that both the camera app and the phone sync only know about sd cards (/sdcard/). It is still possible that there is a folder mounted as a drive partition internally on the phone. If you are familiar with Estrongs File Explorer, load that up, go into the settings and change the Home Directory from /sdcard/ to / then browse the root and see if there are any interesting directories that might be the internal flash. HTC uses /emmc/.

On the Incredible many people were confused just trying to move files to the emmc. Apparently there is a bug in the android mv command where it is not sensing /emmc and /sdcard as being separate partitions hence it effectively tries to do a rename (which fails) but is faster than a copy and delete.

Oh I was thinking he was confusing DDR RAM with actual HDD storage space..

Well yea, you'd need to download hundreds of apps to fill up the 6.3 GB, but lots of people can eat up a huge chunk of a 512 MB ROM between apps, texts, contacts,

Seems like one extreme to the other. That's one BIG change in app space. It's pretty much a waste on the HTC device but this way is going to be an even bidder waste.

That looks amazing! Ok so wtf is the moto shadow, and did u see how low the incredible is, imagine this on 2.2..
Here's the photo, from "ibowtoandroid"

4765861166_0eb9e3b464.jpg

what's more interesting about that photo is:

1) Your current droid X is faster than earlier models probably due to more speed tweaking for the final product
2) The droid x in both its prototype and final version is faster than the samsung galaxy S even though it has a slower GPU. That's just better engineering for ya.

Back
Top Bottom