• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*** Official Motorola Droid X Pre-Release Thread***

I went to the Verizon store near my work today (Alpharetta GA northpoint parkway store) and it is one of the larger stores in the area.

They still don't have a dummy phone or a live phone to play with, but the guy said he expects to get about 130 droid X shipped for release day next Thursday.

He seemed to think if i got there by lunch time they should not run out of them and offered to call me and see if i wanted to put one aside.

I went to both the ones in Marietta GA and they dont have them either:(

Tell them to put 2 aside haha!

I went to the Verizon store near my work today (Alpharetta GA northpoint parkway store) and it is one of the larger stores in the area.

They still don't have a dummy phone or a live phone to play with, but the guy said he expects to get about 130 droid X shipped for release day next Thursday.

He seemed to think if i got there by lunch time they should not run out of them and offered to call me and see if i wanted to put one aside.

Thanks for saving me a trip. I live in the area and was hoping to go there to play with the phone. And where do you work, I need a job!! :D

I have asked this before, but was wondering if you could change the "Red" theme on the droid x, to the "Green" theme on the HTC incredible. These pictures might help

showimage.php

showimage.php

That's not a red theme, the display naturally has a pink tint to it. It's not supposed to look like that, it should be gray like the Droid X screen. This is something you don't really notice unless it's side by side with an LCD that has proper whites. In this case, the DX looks so much better. My Evo had the same pink color to the display - which drove me nuts. One more reason to ditch it.

That's not a red theme, the display naturally has a pink tint to it. It's not supposed to look like that, it should be gray like the Droid X screen. This is something you don't really notice unless it's side by side with an LCD that has proper whites. In this case, the DX looks so much better. My Evo had the same pink color to the display - which drove me nuts. One more reason to ditch it.

No, i am not talking about the display, look at the text box, the Droid x, has a red, and the Incredible has a green theme....thats what i am talking about

I tried the "please move my upgrade date back" trick today... was a no go the first try.

I'm gonna call again tomorrow and try my luck again. The guy on the phone today said the only way to change the upgrade date was to change the date that the contract ends, and they can't do that. Meh.. we'll see what happens.

Any ideas of things to say to make it work? I saw the suggestion above about the "Manager told me to call CS" idea.. any other suggestions?

Has anybody here ever had any luck getting an ANNUAL upgrade (ie I signed a 2 year deal but they allow the main number to be upgraded once a year) date moved? My annual upgrade date is the 24th, 9 days after the launch. I don't want to get stuck out in the cold if for some reason they wind up with a shortage like the Inc.

I've been to an official VZW store, a Go Wireless reseller and called numerous times and it doesn't sound like I'm going to have much luck with this. I'm going to attempt to call and maybe get a manager on the phone tomorrow and explain I've been a customer for nearly a decade and I'm only asking for a move of 9 days and see if they'll show some pity for me.

Just to update my situation, I just got off of the phone with customer care and that was way too easy. I called up ready to give them my A game and the lady was completely helpful. I don't know if it has anything to do with it but I opted to take the survey before the call went through.

Anyhow, my annual upgrade date is the 24th, 9 days before the X release. I asked her if they could move it for me. She asked me which phone I was interested in and I told her the X, then she told me that she would put a note in my file and for me to call on the 15th when the phone is available and they would ship it when I ordered it that day, no need to change the date.

Full retail

For anyone in the know.... I just stopped by a corporate store about 30 miles north of Milwaukee, in WI. He showed me a dummy phone and also some of the accessories. HOWEVER when I asked how much for full retail he said " this phone will not be sold for full retail at all!!!"
Someone tell this is not the case. That does not make any sense. He went on to say "that it is because people buy them and then sell them, and they will (VZW) maybe sell it for full retail in 3 or 4 months".
THIS CANNOT BE TRUE......ANYONE CARE TO ELABORATE!!!
help.gif

Full retail

For anyone in the know.... I just stopped by a corporate store about 30 miles north of Milwaukee, in WI. He showed me a dummy phone and also some of the accessories. HOWEVER when I asked how much for full retail he said " this phone will not be sold for full retail at all!!!"
Someone tell this is not the case. That does not make any sense. He went on to say "that it is because people buy them and then sell them, and they will (VZW) maybe sell it for full retail in 3 or 4 months".
help.gif

I think he just wanted to make the contract commission;)

Full retail

help.gif

Are you sure this is a corporate store? Corporate stores usually have the phones turned on for live demos while resellers have dummy phones. Regardless it sounds like he just wants that commission because both my local corporate VZW and Best Buy stores have confirmed you can buy the phone at full retail at launch.

Full retail

help.gif

I think we should find out if Verizon has EVER released a phone that wasn't available for purchase at full retail.

I highly doubt Verizon will deny people out of contract to purchase the phone...they want to keep customers happy right?

Well color me excited! I just went to the Verizon store to speak to the rep who has been keeping me informed with everything having to do with the Droid X. He showed me the dummy phone and some accessories. He even told me that the store will be opening on midnight on Wednesday so I'll be getting the phone a day early! I'm pretty stoked..

I tried the "please move my upgrade date back" trick today... was a no go the first try.

I'm gonna call again tomorrow and try my luck again. The guy on the phone today said the only way to change the upgrade date was to change the date that the contract ends, and they can't do that. Meh.. we'll see what happens.

Any ideas of things to say to make it work? I saw the suggestion above about the "Manager told me to call CS" idea.. any other suggestions?

They moved up the date for me, and my upgrade wasn't for another month. I just told them i was interested in getting the Droid X on the 15th, and the guy just went ahead and moved up the upgrade to the 15th and also told me I could order the phone online and not only NOT pay the mail in rebate, but also have a 50 dollar credit towards the phone, so my effective price would be only 149...;)

but I already pre-ordered at Best Buy, and I'm the second pre order at my store...so...save 50, or get a guarenteed phone? decisions decisions....

So was at a Verizon corporate store asking about the X. I've been waiting a month for my Incredible to come in and am on the fence about switching to the X.

But good news, my Incredible shipped and I have 60 days to switch to the X.

Back to the corporate store, I signed in to talk to a Sales Rep. Name got called and conversation went something like this:

Me: Do you have any Driod Xs?
Her: No, that phone is not released.
Me: I know it's not released. I wanted to know if you had any models to show customers like many stores do.
Her: No, I told you it wasn't released.
Me: (taken aback by her insulting tone) Ok, they go on sale on the 15th and...
Her: No, the 17th.
Me: Pretty sure it's the 15th.
Her: No, your wrong.
Me: I think you need to check your information again, 15th is the date plastered all over the corporate website.
Her: Maybe, but we're not selling them until the 17th.
Me: Are you sure. Verizon typically launches new product on Thursdays.
Her: That's what my computer says, and I'm in the know since I work for verizon, you're just a customer.
Me: :eek: Well how many units do you anticipate getting. Do you think you'll run out of stock on launch day?
Her: I can't give that information to you.
Me: Not even an idea.
Her: Nope.
Me: Is there someone else I can talk with?
Her: No
Me: :mad: Well, thanks for nothing.

So is the date the 15th or 17th? Can't believe the largest corporate store in my area that's always packed is going to not retail them on the launch date?

Just out of coincidence, was at another Verizon Corporate store (located in a large retailer) and the Verizon employee said that the X's would be on sale Thursday, but he couldn't give me any indication on thier stock (it's a much smaller store) or if they'd even get them for launch day..​

I would've asked for the manager if the woman had that kind of tone with me. They aren't supposed to talk to customers like that.

I would've said this to the skank: "Wanna see something incredible?" and then reached for the nearest HTC Droid and smacked her with it. All in my mind anyway, LOL.

I would've said this to the skank: "Wanna see something incredible?" and then reached for the nearest HTC Droid and smacked her with it. All in my mind anyway, LOL.

I love you. That would be so great.

If I were you, I would have just told her how I get really pissed off every time i know more than the employees and i want to talk to the manager.

So was at a Verizon corporate store asking about the X. I've been waiting a month for my Incredible to come in and am on the fence about switching to the X.

But good news, my Incredible shipped and I have 60 days to switch to the X.

Back to the corporate store, I signed in to talk to a Sales Rep. Name got called and conversation went something like this:

Me: Do you have any Driod Xs?
Her: No, that phone is not released.
Me: I know it's not released. I wanted to know if you had any models to show customers like many stores do.
Her: No, I told you it wasn't released.
Me: (taken aback by her insulting tone) Ok, they go on sale on the 15th and...
Her: No, the 17th.
Me: Pretty sure it's the 15th.
Her: No, your wrong.
Me: I think you need to check your information again, 15th is the date plastered all over the corporate website.
Her: Maybe, but we're not selling them until the 17th.
Me: Are you sure. Verizon typically launches new product on Thursdays.
Her: That's what my computer says, and I'm in the know since I work for verizon, you're just a customer.
Me: :eek: Well how many units do you anticipate getting. Do you think you'll run out of stock on launch day?
Her: I can't give that information to you.
Me: Not even an idea.
Her: Nope.
Me: Is there someone else I can talk with?
Her: No
Me: :mad: Well, thanks for nothing.

So is the date the 15th or 17th? Can't believe the largest corporate store in my area that's always packed is going to not retail them on the launch date?

Just out of coincidence, was at another Verizon Corporate store (located in a large retailer) and the Verizon employee said that the X's would be on sale Thursday, but he couldn't give me any indication on thier stock (it's a much smaller store) or if they'd even get them for launch day..​

I would love to get that reps name. If you don't know it, you should go back to the store and get it. Then ask to speak with the store manager, then ask for a corporate email so that you can file an official complaint. Seriously, who do people who hate working with people every apply to a place like Verizon.​

I am a new Verizon customer that will be getting a Droid X (hopefully) on the 15th. I only want to sign a 1-year contract. So here are my questions:

1) Do we know the official price of the X with a 1-year contract - and does it still involve a mail-in rebate?

2) If I sign a 1-year contract, at what point will I be eligible for the full upgrade price for a new phone next year? After 10 months? 12 months?

Thanks!

I am a new Verizon customer that will be getting a Droid X (hopefully) on the 15th. I only want to sign a 1-year contract. So here are my questions:

1) Do we know the official price of the X with a 1-year contract - and does it still involve a mail-in rebate?

2) If I sign a 1-year contract, at what point will I be eligible for the full upgrade price for a new phone next year? After 10 months? 12 months?

Thanks!
Buy it online from verizon and there will not be a rebate (Instant) Until Verizon puts the X up we can only guess.. (usually 70.00 more) 10 months is the date for the primary line and I thought 12 for secondary (might be wrong) Welcome to Verizon... I've been with them since Air Touch here in Tucson, You'll love them.

I would love to get that reps name. If you don't know it, you should go back to the store and get it. Then ask to speak with the store manager, then ask for a corporate email so that you can file an official complaint. Seriously, who do people who hate working with people every apply to a place like Verizon.

And THATS why I never go to the company stores...

Back
Top Bottom