• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Official] What Changes Have You Noticed After Updating to 2.2 (Froyo)?

Don't worry guys, the low scores are caused by a bug. It was mentioned during a benchmark comparison between the newer Android phones and an N1 Froyo (which gets about 40 MFLOPS). The reviewer noticed the Droids having trouble running Linpack and I think the creators are looking into it. Too bad I don't remember where the article is, for now.

Upvote 0
Yea I forgot, someone did an overclocking thread at another site. When we put Froyo on the Droid, he noticed Froyo handled sleep/standby better. Seeing how it got rid of the GPS bug most of us had, (where when u opened and closed an app using GPS, and the phone went to sleep, it wouldnt actually be sleeping) I would say it does work better on Froyo.

That might mean a lil better battery life with Froyo.

Upvote 0
really weird one here...
my physical home button won't work now.
I'm sure it's a bug with the OS, just not a bad key... it wakes it up from sleep, but i can't use it to return home, which is obviously a large and important feature. also, i did *228, 1 and i'm still not getting 3G. hmm.

however, i do find that it's a lot more snappy. Everything is smooth, boot times are cut, gps seems good, etc.

Upvote 0
Don't worry guys, the low scores are caused by a bug. It was mentioned during a benchmark comparison between the newer Android phones and an N1 Froyo (which gets about 40 MFLOPS). The reviewer noticed the Droids having trouble running Linpack and I think the creators are looking into it. Too bad I don't remember where the article is, for now.

Can you expand upon that a little bit more? Do you mean the Motorola phones (and their processors) have difficulty running Linpack? The reason I'm trying to clarify is b/c the Incredible is also a Droid (HTC Droid Incredible). Alternatively, maybe you meant that the Snapdragon phones are reporting much higher scores than what's really going on?

Either way I find this concerning... if you could come up with that article you're talking about I'd be much obliged

Upvote 0
As I'm allowing that video to buffer, I'll post someone else that just occurred to me: this version of 2.2 was ripped off a developer phone. I believe it was determined that the phone was released back in April, thereby inferring that this version of 2.2 is also a 4+ month old version. I mention this for two reasons:

1) I have read that some of the dev phones and tester phones had received Froyo without the JIT launcher (which is where the massive speed gains actually come from). I never did much checking to see if this was actually valid, but right now I'm sure hoping it is.

2) It is my hope that the version of Froyo that we'll being seeing about 5 months later (should release officially in September) will be much much different than what we're seeing from this hacked version. The chances that it will be much better seem pretty good to me...

EDIT:
Just watched the video. It seems like it's less than conclusive when it comes to whether or not Linpack has a bug. TBH it seems like it's just a "I feel like this is wrong" statement that really isn't supported. I hope he's right, but who knows.

The developer hasn't mentioned the possibility that there are issues either: Linpack GreeneComputing

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones