• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Possible Battery Fix from HTC

Well I messed up and 1st I went to the #* setting and I didn't even see what mine was set on. I immediately went under menu and select radio it forced closed did what ever and then mine was on gsm I changed it and rebooted but did the same process which I shouldn't of done. Cause now i know hitting select radio puts it back to GSM. So now mine is on CDMA. I don't get the best signal in my house and took the phone back to bed with me and left it off the charger all night and it was fully charged. I did forget to turn off wifi and woke up to it being still pretty full. Battery level hd all bars going but it did say TWS 13% I never seen the TWS before so is 13 ok since I don't get great signal in my house. I also work in a basement that doesn't get good signal will keeping it on Airplane mode help? I always turn off 4G wifi and bluetooth and sometimes use wifi at work on breaks and at home. But I got system and it showeds a few things running like Frikng which I didn't realize and voice mail which I use you mails visual voice and there was one other thing running that I closed.

But my phone says up time 11:2025 and awake time 1:2851 an now I have TWS 21% after doing some stuff with phone. My wifi says 25% and my cell standby said 30 and Android 13% and phone idle 24%. I made one call and downloaded 2 apps and was reading mail and on the web for a few. But I did the battery thing wrong last night and I wasn't turnign my phone off and on. I misread it. I turned phone off and after green unplugged it then plugged it back in and it was orange for a few seconds or a minute then once it turned green I kept unplugging it and plugging it back in while it was off and of course from unplugging and plugging it back in I would see orange but not for very long at all. But now I am wondering if I need to do it again and turn it off and on like I was supposed to. My friend said his was on CDMA when he checked but he downloaded Netowrk and didn't even hit menu and radio select. And If I wouldn't of hit that and looked 1st mine could of been on CDMA I don't know.I only saw GSM after hitting select radio.

But I don't think my battery is that bad and at work it last longer than my TP2 did and I don't get a signal in the basement where I work. But I always have my charger too plus I have a car charger but I don't want to have to stop too much some things I like to be running. But just turning off 4G BT and wifi and being n CDMA should help right? I just got the program someone suggested that automatically turns on and off your wifi. I'll try it so I don't have to remember to shut it off when I leave. Then at work we have a guest network but being in the basement that doesn't even work well but it connects just not a great signal. But I still love this phone and have tried several tweaks that were posted. Just don't know if I need to do the battery thing again on off on off. Thanks for the tips guys!

Preparing...
With the phone in the on position.

Fully charge the battery with the phone on... (until the led turns green.)

Once the led turns green, unplug the charger until the led goes off.

After the led goes off, plug the charger back in. When the led turns green , power off the phone.

now.... with the phone fully powered off...

1. Unplug the charger.

2. Wait until led goes off.

3. Plug charger back in until the led turns green. When it turns green, unplug the charger again and go to step 1.

4. repeat steps 1 and 3, 10 times. This may take anywhere from 30 seconds to 30 mins per cycle. Typically only about 1 minute. though.

Mods I made an error and left out the plug in and out of the charger cord can some one modify this post please??

Sorry for the inconvenience

Upvote 0
Also need to calibrate the battery...

After the led goes off, plug the charger back in. When the led turns green , power off the phone.

1. Unplug the charger.

3. Plug charger back in until the led turns green. When it turns green, unplug the charger again and go to step 1.

4. repeat steps 1 and 3, 10 times. This may take anywhere from 30 seconds to 30 mins per cycle. Typically only about 1 minute. though.

Is there any real reason to think this works? I don't mean anecdotal "It worked when I did it" stories, but actual physical, chemical, battery-related reasons to think this does anything to the battery? It seems like a rather silly process to go through, especially 10 times. It almost seems like it might do more harm than good to be that "rough" with the battery.

Upvote 0
Ok, I've been dealing with the quick battery drain issue for the last 2 weeks. I have tried all of the tips and was lucky to get 4 hrs off of one charge with constant use. After Calibrating the battery I've been up and running all day with constant use. I unplugged it from the charger at 12:00p.m and still have 50% battery life at 7:00p.m. The Calibrating of the Battery is the true fix. My replacement battery will be ready to pick up Monday from Sprint but I don't need it anymore. Thanks!

Last Updated: Jun 09, 2010

Calibrate the battery

1. Unplug the charger.

Upvote 0
I seen a lot of people on here claiming 12+ hours of usage out of the EVO. I have yet seen this from my phone. See this thread: http://androidforums.com/tips-tricks-evo-4g/105006-i-came-conclusion.html

I also know that my battery would get warm after awhile, but last night was ridiculous. I downloaded Armored Strike last night. After playing it for 10 minutes the phone was extremely hot. I had to power down my phone (bad battery?). So today, I called Sprint technical support because of my dissatisfaction of my battery issue (getting hot and not last no more than 4 hours on moderate usage). The tech told that this was a widely know issue and that HTC is in process of developing a fix. I told her that I tried every method possible to try to conserve battery life and failed miserably. The tech was very polite and understood what I was going through as she had an EVO too. She sent me an email with tips that Sprint and HTC developed to help serve their customers in this unfortunate matter. What has got me ticked is this information is dated June 3, 2010 and was updated June 4, 2010. Now I'm thinking to myself, Sprint and HTC pushed a flawed product out the door to meet deadlines. I would have rather waited another month for a product that was well developed and tested thoroughly. Please don't take me wrong, I love my EVO. I have now physical problems from it besides battery life and occasionally grounding issues. I will not be returning my phone either. I just want to address that HTC needs to get on the ball before releasing a flawed device. I read threads about screen separation and bad wifi signal and yet to hear an official statement from HTC to fix this issues. Anyways here is a copy of the email sent to me.

Issue Title: HTC EVO 4G - Battery Life Tips Posted Date: 6/3/2010 Issue Type: Educational
Description:
If customers call in complaining about battery life, there are many ways that they can improve overall battery performance.

Action: Educate
Is this your first 'Smart phone'? There are several differences between a feature phone and your new HTC EVO 4G phone that can impact your battery life.

• " HTC EVO 4G has more radios to power (3G, 4G, Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS)
  • " HTC EVO 4G has a larger screen than most typical feature phones
  • " HTC EVO 4G has more capabilities than most typical feature phones
    • Management of multiple email accounts and syncing
    • WiFi access point
    • WiFi Router capability
    • 4G data
    • GPS
    • Access to several 3rd party applications through the Market
    • Applications and Processes running in the background
  • " These new capabilities all require more power than your previous feature phone.
  • " Because of all these new wonderful capabilities and features it is up to you to manage your battery life experience. Here's how!
The multiple radios on this device will use battery life even when you are not using them.

• " To improve battery life, turn off your Bluetooth, GPS, 4G, WiFi, and WiFi Sprint Mobile Hotspot if you are not using them.
4G

• " The 4G radio should only be turned ON when the improved network speed is required for an application, such as YouTube, Web Browsing, or Sprint Mobile Hotspot. When not in use, its important to use the built-in 4G widget (preloaded on Home tile left of center) to turn the 4G radio OFF.
  • " If you have your 4G radio ON, but are no longer in 4G coverage then your device will be scanning in an attempt to re-acquire the 4G network.
  • " Your battery can be significantly drained by the scanning processes, so if you know you will be out of 4G coverage for an extended period of time or if you are not acquiring a 4G signal as indicated in the task bar, it would be important to turn your 4G radio OFF.
  • " As with other radios there are widgets you can place on your Home screen which allow you to turn your 4G radio ON and OFF.
  • " Even when in 4G markets, particularly when mobile, you may be going in and out of 4G coverage. If you notice that you do not have a 4G signal at any point in time, then turning off the 4G radio will save you significant battery life. Simply turn it back on to check for 4G coverage when you believe to be back in 4G coverage.
  • " To check for the latest 4G coverage in your area, visit: http://shop.sprint.com/en/stores/popups/4G_coverage_popup.shtml
Preloaded widgets are available to conveniently monitor use of radios

• " Power Control Widget - allows you to see radios that are ON and OFF
    • Widget -> Power Control
  • Individual Widgets
    • Widget -> Settings -> (Airplane Mode, Bluetooth, GPS, Mobile Network, Wi-Fi, 4G, Hotspot)
Live Wallpaper and backlight settings

• Live Wallpaper uses significantly more battery than standard wallpapers when your screen is ON
  • " Ambient Light Sensor - controls backlight brightness based on your ambient lighting condition.
    • Settings -> Sound and Display -> Brightness
  • Manual Control
    • You can use your Power Control Widget to easily adjust your backlight intensity with a simple touch.
Tools to view battery usage

• " Before you are ready to charge your phone you can view what has been using your battery during this charge cycle.
    • Settings -> About Phone -> Battery -> Battery use
Email Applications Settings

• " Email settings allow you to setup peak and off-peak hours for email sync on each email account
    • Pop Account
      • Mail -> Menu -> More -> Settings -> Send & Receive -> Set Download Frequency
    • Exchange Account
      • Mail -> Menu -> More -> Settings -> Send & Receive -> Schedule
  • Generally, less frequent syncing = Better battery life
  • Manual Sync allows you to receive emails only when you choose to
    • This can be optimal for battery life if you don't necessarily need emails as quickly as they arrive.
    • While in the email client, sync by selecting Menu -> Refresh.
  • Shorter polling frequencies (5 minute, 10 minute, 15 minute) can actually be worse for your battery life than As Items Arrive, especially if you do not have high volumes of email.
  • Bottom line, email synchronization settings can have significant impact to battery life and the ideal settings are going to vary by person. Try different configurations that achieve the best compromise between convenience and battery life.
Preloaded Applications

• There are several preloaded applications which update based on frequency settings. Here are a few of those applications:
    • Stocks
    • Weather
    • News
    • Peep
    • Flickr
    • Facebook
  • These applications have a settings menu that typically can be accessed by using the Menu button while you are in the application. In the settings menu there is an item called Update Schedule
    • Menu -> Settings -> Update Schedule (this may slightly vary from App to App)
  • In General the less frequently you allow these applications to update the better battery life you can attain.
  • If you find that there are applications you don't use at all then for the best battery life experience configure the application to either not sync at all or to sync at the lowest frequency. You can also end the application or service by going to the Running Services Widget mentioned above.
Google Talk

• As soon as you sign up for the Google Market or Gmail with your Gmail account information you are also signed in to the Google Talk instant messaging application.
  • The Talk application tracks the presence of your Google Talk contacts in order to let you know who is available to instant message. Each presence change uses a small amount of power even if you do not have the Talk application open.
  • If you have numerous contacts who are changing presence throughout the day all of these small impacts to your battery can add up to significantly shorten your battery life.
  • If you do not use Talk on your device or do not mind that it is only operational when you actually have the application open, then you can eliminate this extra battery consumption by:
    • Go to All Apps -> Talk -> Menu -> More -> Settings. Uncheck the "automatically sign in" box.
    • Make sure you exit the application by going to Menu -> More -> and selecting "Sign Out".
    • In order to again receive Instant Messages through the Talk application all you'll need to do is open the Talk application again and it will automatically sign you in.
    • Make sure you always exit the application by selecting "Sign Out" (above) to reduce battery consumption. Exiting the application by use of the back or home keys will not sign you out and battery life will not be improved.
3rd Party Applications

• Be especially cautious with all 3rd party applications that you download from the market place. Often times these applications have not been designed with battery life in mind. Many of these applications significantly impact your battery life and quite often they remain running even when you exit the application. It's important for you to understand the behavior of all the applications you download.
    • Know how to close the application so that it does not continue running (often times via the Menu key while in the application)
    • Learn how to use the running services application (Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Running Services Widget) to end user installed applications that are still running but no longer needed
    • If the applications synchronize data, make sure you optimize the synchronization settings for improved battery life.

Last Updated: 6/4/2010

Q & A /Feedback:
CE Forums
The materials available through this website and other websites owned or provided by Sprint (individually and collectively, the "Website") are the property of Sprint or its licensors, and are protected by copyright, trademark and other intellectual property laws. Do not reproduce or communicate anything found on this page without the approval of the Product Management team within Customer Equipment.

Upvote 0
so i had this phone for a week( i couldn't get it a launch) but it works fine better then my moment did at first, i have auto brightness on, sync on all the time, and must of my social networks and feed every 4hrs same with my hotmail and yahoo acoount and this are my result without the charging trick, google talk, the network app and the other stuff that i barely so on this forum, my battery is doing fine today but today is sunday(not too many feeds in form websites or youtube videos uploads)
snap20100620_180118.png
snap20100620_180127.png
snap20100620_180133.png
snap20100620_180135.png
snap20100620_180148.png
snap20100620_180200.png
snap20100620_180203.png
snap20100620_180341.png
snap20100620_180348.png
Sorry for all the screens, i used wanted to show you all i run in my screens(widgets) and i think is pretty good battery after all the phone does alot for me and i also got a car charger just in case

Upvote 0
correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveon2legs
So if auto-sync is off, it won't push my email? I ask because I didn't see any of my email clients on that screen.

correct

I just wanted to say that I did turn off auto-sync and it seems to have turned off my g-mail, but my Exchange (set to as they arrive) still gets e-mails as they arrive even though auto-sync is still off. I'm not sure if that's how it is supposed to work but I just wanted to throw that out there in case it helps anyone.

PS - LOVE these forums - great source of information - you guys are great!

Upvote 0
Hey guys I wanted to give alittle feed back since I was have some battery issues up until yesterday when I used the thread to make a few tweaks. I have 02 hardware model and since I had picked it up on launch day the best battery life I could get was about 8 hours. I really could unplug it and leave it come back in 8 hours and it was dead. Yesterday I preformed the CDMA trick using the Network app. I then followed the instructions to calibrate the battery. Finally I installed the System app full version which allowed me to map my battery life and view running tasks. I killed a calendar process which was running that I did not need. I then let my battery fully charge and I am currently at 79% and it is 16hrs since i took it off the charger. I sent about 30 sms and talked time of about 30mins, some light web browsing and facebook updates. Just a few simple tweaks and it looks like I will get way more life out of a charge then I ever expected.

Upvote 0
Well, I got my Evo the week after launch. It is version 3 hardware model. I was getting about 6 hours a day before I would red line. I played golf one day and without any use for 5 hours it was dead by the time I got home. I tried all the gsm/cdma, sync and charge tweeks with no luck. I was still only getting 6-7 hours of battery with very normal use. I have read so much about task killers I had not installed one, but I finally reached a point to where I thought it can't get any worse. I installed Advanced Task Killer and manually set it up to kill the apps that I could care less about. Ignored a few that i needed to run like email. I ALSO SET IT UP TO KILL ITSELF, when i killed all the other apps. I went from 6-7 hours of normal use to 15+ hours of normal use and put it on the charger with probably 25% still to the good. Just thought it might help someone keep and awesome phone before they give up on it. There are so many posts on task killers it's crazy, but what's the point of having a mobile phone if you're constantly attached to a charger. :)

Upvote 0
When I first got my Evo, I got an average of about 7 hours. I was impressed with that alone being such a powerful smartphone. Since I read this thread and applied all the tricks, I can definitely tell you that my phone for the past three days has been able to get 20+ hours per day. I am what you would call a medium to heavy user. I use wifi when I'm home. 8 hours of my day and I'm on regular phone mode using CDMA auto. I believe what helped me greatly was the battery fix. Also, I have the version 3 phone. I got my Evo last Friday. I'm amazed I can get that much juice out of this device and doing the job I do, I need all the juice I can get out of this phone. I am very impressed and very happy.

Upvote 0
If you have not done this go into the sprint zone app and deselect the updates if you don't need them. Tons of apps in there pulling data.

i did this and it did the trick. the battery on my evo would be dead after 6 hours even if i did not use it. deselected all the updates in the sprint zone and 1day-42mns since i unplugged and i still have 52% battery life THANKS>>>

Upvote 0
Good news. I am reporting that I got the miraculous 24 hour battery life off a single charge. I'm not doing anything special except for not running live wallpaper. Within the 24 hour period, I checked emails constantly, sent out some text messages, made a few calls (no more than 5-10 each), played a few games of solitaire, took a dozen pics w/ flash, browsed the internet, played pocket empire, and kept the phone on wifi as I don't have great service in my home (0-1 bar). Here are some screen shots of the battery info. Keep in mind I did do a factory reset and prior to doing so I reformatted my SD card along with calibrating the battery.

snap20100623_104318.png

snap20100623_104337.png

snap20100623_104343.png

Upvote 0
How do you deselect updates in Sprint Zone.I kill stuff from system, and then a little while later I am still seeing it back. Then when I go under menu settings and manage apps I see if anything is open there and most of it isn't but if it is and I am not using i see if it will let me force close it from there. Don't know if I am suppose to do that or not. But I have been charging over night then unplugging for a bit then plugging back in to top it off.

Edit: Oh I went to Sprint Zone and settings and unchecked everything so I am guessing I found it. Will see if this helps. I don't want to reset my phone and I don't think formatting an sd card has anything to do with it. Calibrating the battery might. I did that thing 7 or 8 times and my battery stayed green every time phone was on but when unplugged and phone off and plugged back in it was still taking 30 seconds or so to turn green which wasn't bad I thought I didn't know but I gave up doing it after so many times.

i did this and it did the trick. the battery on my evo would be dead after 6 hours even if i did not use it. deselected all the updates in the sprint zone and 1day-42mns since i unplugged and i still have 52% battery life THANKS>>>

Upvote 0
lol. Somehow those two sentences don't quite go well together.

Maybe I should clarify what i meant. Prior to doing a hard/factory reset I've done every trick listed for improved battery life. I tried calibrating the battery first. Then i tried formatting the SD card. I even went as far as disabling Facebook for Sense. I also disabled all data sync. I was getting horrible battery life with all the tips and tricks done. Afterwards I decided to do a factory reset. I was like "what the hell". What's one more thing? After the reset, I started seeing improvements in battery life. I was simply stating that maybe the reset or the combination of the SD card format and battery calibration helped improve life. I cant say the reset by itself did the improvement as it wad done afterwards.

Upvote 0
I got my Evo on the fourth, and I never had any problems with battery life. I thought you guys were crazy. But yesterday I got about five hours of battery life with it just sitting in my pocket. I made one call, had one alarm go off and hat another one set, and played iMobsters for about five minutes. Other than that, it was sitting in my pocket.

Five freakin' hours.

Now, I was in another state, I was in northern Illinois as opposed to where I live, southeast Wisconsin. But still, I checked coverage and the Sprint website said I would be good. I had Wi-Fi turned off, GPS, everything was normal. So that couldn't be the problem, right?

Today I tried some of the tips in this thread. I haven't been able to test it out because I've been doing the HTC recommended trick, where you charge it on and off until the light is always green. Well, I did that for around 30 minutes while watching TV. The light was always green when on, but it took a little over a minute when turned off. I finally just gave up.

So do I keep trying? Is that normal?

Upvote 0
The supposed problem is that with the Evo on, it's charging the battery until it *thinks* it is fully charged and then stopping, and for some people, the battery is not actually fully charged. When you turn it off and the light stays orange for several minutes, then you have that problem, and leaving it off until the light is green should calibrate things, so that your Evo sees this as being fully charged, and will subsequently charge to that level when it is turned on. *deep breath*

In other words, you really should only have to do it once -- if it only stays orange for a minute, the battery is charging as it should.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones