• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant Thread - What really grinds your gears?

so...my youngest son is the voice of an educational computer program in china that teaches young children how to speak english... I think it's for preschool kindergarden age...kind of reminds me of blues clues..:)

Yeh in China they start to teach their children a second language at pre-school age. There's many toddlers educational toys and books that are for English here. I sometimes teach kindergarten myself, it's fun but sometimes hard work.

I suspect your son might be familiar with Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf.
Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I used to watch a lot of this to try and improve my Mandarin listening skills.

BTW doesn't the US do something similar, teach a second language at a very early age? It's just that I seem to remember Spanish sections in Sesame Street years ago in the 1970s, when it was shown in the UK.

Upvote 0
What's grinding my gears today? When I had to call in sick from work right after the holiday. Damn allergies made me hoarse.

And in my line of work (call center), my voice is important. I can't do my job if my voice is messed up. *sigh* What next?

I've done call centre work as well, bummer when you got no voice, same for being an English teacher.

Reactions: Revenant Ghost
Upvote 0
Yeh in China they start to teach their children a second language at pre-school age. There's many toddlers educational toys and books that are for English here. I sometimes teach kindergarten myself, it's fun but sometimes hard work.

I suspect your son might be familiar with Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf.
Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I used to watch a lot of this to try and improve my Mandarin listening skills.

BTW doesn't the US do something similar, teach a second language at a very early age? It's just that I seem to remember Spanish sections in Sesame Street years ago in the 1970s, when it was shown in the UK.

I taught preschool pre K and kindergarten.. Loved it:) kinds miss it.. It's freaky running into my students who are in college now:0
And yes they start language at least in my district early.. Both my boys have taken Spanish since 1st grade

Upvote 0
I took spanish for 3 1/2 years and learned how to count to 10. That's about it. Yet, I still passed all my spanish classes.

If I want to learn a language, I think the best way is to move to the country it is spoken in while taking classes from the native speakers.

Total immersion, it's the best way I think. :thumbup:

There's schools and colleges here, where you must speak and write in English at all times while on campus and on field trips. No Chinese books, no Chinese TV. It's forbidden to speak Mandarin or Cantonese, and they take it very seriously. Large notices, "NO CHINESE!".

I used to teach at this school.
http://new.glvchina.com/english/main.php
Which is an English language immersion school.

Upvote 0
Well, my future mother-in-law's visit went pretty smoothly... watching her do the 'back seat driving' thing when my Mary was driving was comical. I stayed out of that one, to be sure. We now have the house back to ourselves (and two dogs, an Irish Setter mix and a Border Collie). My sweetheart is watching a rerun of 'River Monsters - Unhooked' and I'm posting this entry without ranting. Not bad, eh? It is peaceful, and the dogs are outside... pretty idyllic, I would think. Though, I truly did enjoy bigjohnny's rant about his ex's bad breath :lmao:

Sent from my new LG-LS720 using Forum Runner

Upvote 0
Well, my future mother-in-law's visit went pretty smoothly... watching her do the 'back seat driving' thing when my Mary was driving was comical. I stayed out of that one, to be sure. We now have the house back to ourselves (and two dogs, an Irish Setter mix and a Border Collie). My sweetheart is watching a rerun of 'River Monsters - Unhooked' and I'm posting this entry without ranting. Not bad, eh? It is peaceful, and the dogs are outside... pretty idyllic, I would think. Though, I truly did enjoy bigjohnny's rant about his ex's bad breath :lmao:

Sent from my new LG-LS720 using Forum Runner

You guys deserve some good times after the hell you went through. Congrats! :thumb:

Upvote 0
Running out of credit.
1401361164964.jpg

Upvote 0
When something doesn't work in a classroom, like the DLP projector craps out, and all I can hear is "HA HA HA HA HA HA! MADE IN CHINA, TEACHER! HA HA HA HA HA HA!!"

HAHA

When Seth yesterday asked me "What is so funny Wayne? :)"

I told him "You have no beard! YOU are NOT a true Kung Fu master!!! xD You bring a the SHAAAAME and DISHONOUR to us all!! :D:D:D What shadows will haunt you in the after life??? XD"

HAHA

He couldn't stop laughing his behind off lol :)

:D

what grinds me gears you say?

xD

:D

Not being able to toss little badly behaved children into a wall after telling them for the 1000000000000000 bagazillionth time not to "touch" each other! :mad:

I suddenly love walls very much!

XD :D:D:D

HAHA

Upvote 0
My better half is a photographer, someone contacts her to do a wedding that's taking place next weekend. Set up a meeting to go over everything.

So I drive her to the meeting place a bit ago, little over an hour away. Everything goes smoothly and the lady pays her the deposit for shooting the wedding.

After we drive an hour back home, her client starts blowing up her phone thinking she'll stand her up and demanding the deposit back or she'll get lawyers involved.

Really? This lady should have thought about this before wasting our time and gas going all the way out there.

Some people never cease to amaze me.

Upvote 0
I just developed my first application via a website called Elance.
I hired a company from India to create my app.
Thinking everything would go smoothly, we began working together.
Little did I know that trying to get work together when your in such different time zones SUCKS!!!
The worst thing about it was while I was staying up till 4:00AM trying to communicate with the company. They were extremely slow in responding!

So happy the app if finally on the market (well Android market that is)

Upvote 0
Little did I know that trying to get work together when your in such different time zones SUCKS!!!
The worst thing about it was while I was staying up till 4:00AM trying to communicate with the company. They were extremely slow in responding!

The best thing to do is develop on your own. Learn how to program, its actually a lot easier than you may think..

Plus doing it on your own saves this kind of rubbish from happening, you learn something in the process, and if you get good enough, can make a living developing apps

Reactions: DaltTheWalt
Upvote 0

There's a lot of Android devs in India. That's where many of the freemium and casual games come from. There's a lot here in China as well.

Reactions: DaltTheWalt
Upvote 0
The SoC (system on (a) chip), where the mobile processors are, is NOT a chipset.

It's one chip. One.

When the word chipset (a very old word) first appeared in places like the Qualcomm website, it was for their customers to know how to ask for it and accompanying chips in the family, such as a modem.

Blogosphere writers picked up the term and passed it on. Insiders. Cool. Know all about it. I publicly corrected every one I could find and the monkeys corrected me back.

Qualcomm thought it was funny and started calling them that on their website, and then the writers could find them more easily.

"The phone uses the Snapdragon 400 chipset."

"I put new tires on my gas tank."

Those two sentences are exactly equivalent.

It's called an SoC.

Next - a phablet is not a tablet with phone modems (or alternately, an antenna).

It sounds terribly chic but it's just wrong.

Processor - modem - FREAKING RADIO, AS IN THE RADIO - antenna.

That's the food chain.

If modems were radios, we wouldn't have two separate words.

They are not the same thing, no, you don't sound more technical using the wrong word and arguing about it, no, it is not a question of semantics that we can just agree to get along on.

Radio transceiver - acceptable if you prefer to identify the whole circuit as a radio and then call that part by a more precise name.

No, the whole circuit is not modem or an antenna, and no, linking me to some idiot with a blog is not going to change my mind.

No. No, neither subject is open for debate.

Upvote 0
I like watching history programs so when I heard about the history channels new special The World Wars I was very interested..so I go on demand and start playing...very good program, but... The amount of commercials they had for an OD program was ridiculous...at one point I counted 11 commercials in a row.. :mad::thumbdown:

Upvote 0
I like watching history programs so when I heard about the history channels new special The World Wars I was very interested..so I go on demand and start playing...very good program, but... The amount of commercials they had for an OD program was ridiculous...at one point I counted 11 commercials in a row.. :mad::thumbdown:

If it is hyped on History Channel you have two choices. DVR or wait for the midweek replay.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones