• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant Thread - What really grinds your gears?

I'm sick and tired of having to "choose my language" (singular) when I fluently speak two languages. If I'm looking for answers to a technical question and type the question in the search engine in English, WHY is the entire first page filled with Italian sites? If I wanted an Italian site, I would have phrased the search in Italian!! The technical sites in English have ten times as many questions and answers, so of course that's what I want.

If I find an app in Play Store that has 89 reviews, I can only see the 4 reviews that are in Italian. There's an "Options" button next to the four reviews, but does it give you the option to see the other 85 reviews in other languages? NO, NO, NO!!!

If I Look for the Great Gatsby on Google Play Movies, I can only find Il Grande Gatsby, dubbed into Italian. I'd also occasionally like to see a French or Spanish film in the original language. Even though I'm not fluent in those languages, I can follow along and it helps to keep up my language skills. If I can't find films in the original language, it pretty much forces me into the arms of the pirates if I want to see undubbed foreign films.

Every time I click on a page that's not in Italian, I'm offered the choice to translate it into Italian. Am I not smart enough to decide for myself whether I need to translate it or not? If I clicked on it, I must have decided I could read it, true? I would prefer a page in the original language rather than a botched translation.

Why can't Android (or a browser for that matter) let you choose a "main language" and two or three secondary languages? I would choose Italian as my main language, but when there is content in the other languages, I don't want it buried out of my sight.

That does sound irritating. I also am bilingual(English primary, Tagalog second), and have completely avoided letting Google or my devices know that I speak Tagalog to keep things simple. I could see where it would be frustrating though if you use both languages with great frequency.

I'm sick and tired of having to "choose my language" (singular) when I fluently speak two languages. If I'm looking for answers to a technical question and type the question in the search engine in English, WHY is the entire first page filled with Italian sites? If I wanted an Italian site, I would have phrased the search in Italian!! The technical sites in English have ten times as many questions and answers, so of course that's what I want.

If I find an app in Play Store that has 89 reviews, I can only see the 4 reviews that are in Italian. There's an "Options" button next to the four reviews, but does it give you the option to see the other 85 reviews in other languages? NO, NO, NO!!!

If I Look for the Great Gatsby on Google Play Movies, I can only find Il Grande Gatsby, dubbed into Italian. I'd also occasionally like to see a French or Spanish film in the original language. Even though I'm not fluent in those languages, I can follow along and it helps to keep up my language skills. If I can't find films in the original language, it pretty much forces me into the arms of the pirates if I want to see undubbed foreign films.

Every time I click on a page that's not in Italian, I'm offered the choice to translate it into Italian. Am I not smart enough to decide for myself whether I need to translate it or not? If I clicked on it, I must have decided I could read it, true? I would prefer a page in the original language rather than a botched translation.

Why can't Android (or a browser for that matter) let you choose a "main language" and two or three secondary languages? I would choose Italian as my main language, but when there is content in the other languages, I don't want it buried out of my sight.

My Italian is rusty, but I did grow up in a home where Italian was spoken. I can speak Spanish fairly well, as I studied it between high school and my limited college time (haha). However, isn't it possible to go through an Italian portal, and access all that you need (including Google) in the Italian language? My cousins who speak fluent Italian (they live here Stateside) have shown me how they 'surf the Internet' for content in Italian, and it seems to work for them. I know that Google, Bing, Yahoo! and the like have plenty of holes in them, but, Io compisco. Essere bene, e hanno una buona settimana. LW

I do, that's why I don't lose my cool. Saying "have a blessed day" do I really mean it? Hell no, like I said, someone like that doesn't deserve to drive a Camaro, hope she wrecks it.

Those people, forget them. They are the simple minded problem with the world today. With people like them, the world is a sad place. I don't let them get to me, because I just stopped caring. They will get what has coming to them. Hopefully another McDonalds will spit in her food or something. I believe in Karma.

Now those good people that come to McDonalds, those are the people you don't forget. I strike up a good conversation with anyone who drives an electric vehicle, and talk about Tesla and innovations of Elon Musk. What he is doing, is where the world should be. People like him are the future. Not skanks like that women in the drive through.

While this lady may be a member of the 'Skankaho' tribe (Native Americans, please don't be offended - it's just humor), all you have to do is remember the good people that you get to work with. I know how you feel - my therapist reminds me on a regular basis that I cannot control everything that goes on around me. I'm bipolar, suffer from PTSD, and I also have a bad case of anxiety. So, I try to stay away from those kinds of individuals, just for my own inner peace. Yet, they seem to be everywhere... so, I just deep breathe, and move on to the next 'happening'. Keep up the good fight, SFBB. One day, if all goes well for you, you'll be driving a COPO Camaro, and letting your spirit fly free. LW

Why are LW's texts blue? I cannot read it in dark app mode :(

Kaat72, does this color work better for you? I subscribed to your thread, and I wish for you all of the awesomeness that touring does for someone. May your American visit be one that is full of wonderment. Please stay in touch, if you can - LW

My Italian is rusty, but I did grow up in a home where Italian was spoken. I can speak Spanish fairly well, as I studied it between high school and my limited college time (haha). However, isn't it possible to go through an Italian portal, and access all that you need (including Google) in the Italian language? My cousins who speak fluent Italian (they live here Stateside) have shown me how they 'surf the Internet' for content in Italian, and it seems to work for them. I know that Google, Bing, Yahoo! and the like have plenty of holes in them, but, Io compisco. Essere bene, e hanno una buona settimana. LW
Italian is my default language. I know how to set my browser language to English, but I don't see why I have to keep changing it back and forth. The choice is buried in a menu, and once you change it, you have to go back to change it again, and it still only shows results in one language. What I really want it to do a search and see results in Italian AND English.

Some web sites go so far as to automatically translate their results into a really bad Italian that you can barely understand, and don't have any obvious way to switch it back to the original language.

Sounds like you got the Italian Play Store. Google is restricted by the MPAA and Hollywood in what it can distribute and where. They only have the rights to distribute the Italian dubbed versions things like Great Gatsby in Italian territories.

No Jethro Tull radio tonight :(
b56d8d548cb6b2e4823d2c7b99c7ae37.jpg

That's the trouble with online streaming.

I am watching a video on my laptop, and my daughter walks in and turns on Pandora.

Apparently, I am not allowed to listen to anything but what she wants to hear.

I'm in a mood!:mad: one of those day's where I double dog dare anyone to mess with me while secretly wishing they would...
on an up note...:D some Jahova's witnesses came to my door today...nice gals...they sounded European...Ukrainian perhaps??...anywho I was nice and listened to their schpeel for a few...then......:D:D:smokingsomb::rolleyes: I asked them how they felt about factory farming and if I could just have a minute of their time

Id like to give them some literature to look over... show them a video....
should have seen their faces as they stammered and looked at each other completely deer in headlights....excuses backing up....pshhhhhh

I'm in a mood!:mad: one of those day's where I double dog dare anyone to mess with me while secretly wishing they would...
on an up note...:D some Jahova's witnesses came to my door today...nice gals...they sounded European...Ukrainian perhaps??...anywho I was nice and listened to their schpeel for a few...then......:D:D:smokingsomb::rolleyes: I asked them how they felt about factory farming and if I could just have a minute of their time

Id like to give them some literature to look over... show them a video....
should have seen their faces as they stammered and looked at each other completely deer in headlights....excuses backing up....pshhhhhh

I actually laughed out loud at this.

Italian is my default language. I know how to set my browser language to English, but I don't see why I have to keep changing it back and forth. The choice is buried in a menu, and once you change it, you have to go back to change it again, and it still only shows results in one language. What I really want it to do a search and see results in Italian AND English.

Some web sites go so far as to automatically translate their results into a really bad Italian that you can barely understand, and don't have any obvious way to switch it back to the original language.

Compisco. English is my primary language, but, like you said - why should you have to bounce back and forth? Google should step up to the plate, and give you your content in your native language, in an accurate fashion. I'm a descendant of Aquila, and just like in America - the Italian language has different dialects, from province to province. Google should be THAT accurate, if it wants to be a world leader in information distribution. So, you've won me over to your way of thinking. Ciao - LW

Sent from a Boost Mobile LG-LS720 using Forum Runner

I increase the size of my font, so that my tired old eyes don't have to don cheaters.

Though, it is a pointless exercise, since I post from the smartphone too, and Forum Runner leaves everything alone.

My print is now, and forevermore - in black. Though, the font size won't change. I hope that takes care of Kaat72, and others that view the forums in Dark Mode.

My rant for the day - customer service at a local restaurant. The place is located in a wide place in the road called Meadow, NC. I called the order in, and went to pick it up with my 'better half'. The lady claimed that I had ordered Ribeye steak sandwiches, when I had, in fact, ordered Phillys.

sfbloodbrother and I covered stuff like this earlier this week. The lady actually had the gall to debate with me, in front of other customers. My response was, "So - this is how you treat your customers?"

I told the love of my life that I will never go back there. She agreed with me. I'm glad. So, I guess that's my rant for the day. I posted my experience on my Wordpress blog, so, there ought to be some coverage out of that.

People. God love 'em, but what the @#*!

Have a good one, everybody - LW

I think there's been a misunderstanding. My native language is English, but I've lived in Italy for many years and am fluent in both languages. Google is very happy to show me results in Italian, in fact that's the default, because my OS is Italian. What they don't do is show me results in English if I want to see English results. If I'm looking for a restaurant, or for something going on this weekend, I do the search in Italian, and the results are Italian. If I do a technical search, I do it in English, because there are many more sites in English than in Italian. After all, it's the universal tech language. However, even though I search for, let's say, "Android app for scanning to pdf", Google translates my search into Italian and shows me Italian pages.

I just want Google to let me indicate which languages (plural) I want to see search results in, and not assume I always want Italian. I can change my default language to English, and then change it back to Italian, and then back to English, but it's a royal pain. And Google isn't the only offender. Tripadvisor, for example, translates all its reviews into Italian for me, using Babelfish or something awful. The Italian is sometimes total gibberish. I want to see all reviews in the original language, and I'm smart enough to skip over the ones in Chinese.

It's just a total inability on the part of US firms to acknowledge that in the rest of the world most people aren't monolingual.

By the way, I hate to correct people's Italian, but I've seen this twice now, and a correction may be useful to both people: the word is "capisco", not "compisco". The first response in Italian had lots of errors; I'll correct them if that would be useful.

I think there's been a misunderstanding. My native language is English, but I've lived in Italy for many years and am fluent in both languages. Google is very happy to show me results in Italian, in fact that's the default, because my OS is Italian. What they don't do is show me results in English if I want to see English results. If I'm looking for a restaurant, or for something going on this weekend, I do the search in Italian, and the results are Italian. If I do a technical search, I do it in English, because there are many more sites in English than in Italian. After all, it's the universal tech language. However, even though I search for, let's say, "Android app for scanning to pdf", Google translates my search into Italian and shows me Italian pages.

I just want Google to let me indicate which languages (plural) I want to see search results in, and not assume I always want Italian.

This might help a little.

Google Advanced Search

If you go down about a third of the way, in the narrow your search section, the first option is select the language of the results.

It only allows selecting one language though (unless you can figure out how to select multi).

Back
Top Bottom