• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant Thread - What really grinds your gears?

So, over time, Windows has been storing data on my C drive without my permission. And recently, some apps haven't been working on my computer because of low disk space. Now I have never installed an app, or even a file to my C drive. So, that 40 GB of my 64 GB SSD, is just eaten up by Windows files I don't even know of.

And there's nothing I can do about it because all the data is in appdata folder, and I don't want to break anything.

I think it's about time to get a Mac.

You sure it's in appdata only? Win likes to store uninstall data for every. single. update. it installs, and over time, that can add up.

So, over time, Windows has been storing data on my C drive without my permission. And recently, some apps haven't been working on my computer because of low disk space. Now I have never installed an app, or even a file to my C drive. So, that 40 GB of my 64 GB SSD, is just eaten up by Windows files I don't even know of.

And there's nothing I can do about it because all the data is in appdata folder, and I don't want to break anything.

I think it's about time to get a Mac.

Back when I was solvent, I used nothing but Macs... after my first experience with Win 3.1, I went and got a pre-PowerPC Mac called Performa. It would crash from time to time, but it was reliable. Then, I got a Rev B iMac... also good, running OS 9; then, I got the standalone iMac with Intel chips running OS X. Nice, but not very RAM friendly. Wintel computers (like our Toshiba) have so much bloat, and if it wasn't for Classic Shell - I'd go nuts. I just replaced a cracked 17.3" screen in our C875D-S7105, and it goes through updates (of bloat, and security band-aids) weekly.
Yes, a Mac would be nice...

Sent from a Boost Mobile LG-LS720 using Forum Runner

Getting ready to go play my gig in Apex, NC. Nervous? You betcha. Dose of Clonazepam? Ditto. Two 2-hour sets. Wish me well, everyone - I need all the luck I can get :)

I've always used Windows computers. What can I say, I really like them. I think around the holidays I'll get a Surface Pro 3. It will replace both my note and one of my desktops, and possibly my Chromebook.

My note has been being used extensivly for about a year now. The battery is only lasting up to 5 hours now. That's the bad thing about these mobile devices.

Sooo... we arrived at the Apex Jazz Festival SUPER early... after trading paint with a large beer truck trying to parallel park... no worries, 'cause the truck is gone. We get to sit and wait for awhile... I guess that's my rant for the day. Got paid, and got wristbands... they're getting ready to close Salem Street, so I'm glad we got to park on Chatham... really close by. Dum-de-dum-dum.... to get our meal - compliments of the Town of Apex - we have to trudge across the tarmac to the Fire Station. We may not get a chance to get our meal. The waiting game continues... :)

To the Town of Apex, NC: thank you for the gig. To anyone in this forum who happens to be from Apex, NC: please tip the singer/guitarist with the shaved head. I'll always be grateful. :)

Lost the Internet for an afternoon... had to call the provider to go through a diagnostic... what I'm about to write is not intended to offend... but if your ISP is based in America, please don't put me on the phone with someone who speaks English as a second language. I can speak two other languages in a basic fashion, but I wouldn't take a tech support position with a non-English speaking company, unless they needed someone to take care of their English-speaking clients. I managed to get through today's tech support, but, it took longer than necessary due to the interaction, or, the lack thereof. That, friends and neighbors, really ground my gears today... and all I'm trying to do is keep this phone's 'unlimited' data plan from entering 'throttle' mode... I know, stop whining... :)

Ugh, I just got of the phone with an angry customer. She was upset with her mortgage being transferred to us. She wouldn't even let me finish a sentence to properly explain the process.

I hate dealing with customers like that. I had to get off the phone for a couple of minutes after that call.

"Artistry Jumps" was a song performed by Stan Kenton and his orchestra back in the mid-fifties, when West Coast Jazz was all of the rage... now, here's where I segue into my post about art, and its various forms (since there were posts before mine about painting). Now, as a musician/songwriter/vocalist, that is my primary art form; though, I do like to sketch with charcoal from time to time, and use colored chalks on plastercraft - heads, ships, whatever. Art, for the artist, is cathartic - it brings feelings of well-being, and, sometimes - euphoria.

Learning about the Android platform can be considered an art form; though, a little more left-brained. I am a novice at this particular discipline, yet, I would like to learn more about it, because I've been posting here since 2011.

Obviously, I'm interested in Android, bringing root to Android smartphones, and all of the obvious.

If anyone out there in the forums reads this post, and wants to give a 52-year-old musician some tips about how to use items like Terminal Emulator, how to program, and anything else one can think of when it comes down to Android - count me in.

Like I said, I'm interested. I'd be willing to trade out my musical knowledge in kind, if that would be helpful. I was an Apple/Mac fanatic for many years, but when I saw what Android phones and tablets can do compared to what Apple offers - well, I'm hooked. Though I still prefer Macs to PCs, I'm definitely into Android.

I hope this post finds everyone feeling euphoric. I hope that everyone's Monday wasn't too hard to deal with. May everyone's Tuesday (in the USA, the first official full day of autumn) be WONDROUS. LW

There's this women who drives a beautiful Chevy Camaro. She comes through the drive through all the time, and I know its her with that good looking car I see in the camera.

When she comes through I do my routine greeting.
"Hi welcome to McDonalds, my name is Curtis, would you like to try our pumpkin spice latte tonight?"

She interrupts me saying
"Give me this and that."

She gets to the window and I greet her. She ask for the manager, to complain about whoever is working in the drive through. By now, all the managers don't care about her. She's a rude person who has nothing better to do than complain to get free food from corporate. Always asking for our name, managers name, store number, and corporate phone number.

When she leaves I politely say

Now you have a blessed day

Hoping she gets into a car accident.

Iphones grind my gears! The iOS 8 is irritating! Ahhhhhhh I am so over the apple launch! Can't wait for work to return to normal!

There's this women who drives a beautiful Chevy Camaro. She comes through the drive through all the time, and I know its her with that good looking car I see in the camera.

When she comes through I do my routine greeting.
"Hi welcome to McDonalds, my name is Curtis, would you like to try our pumpkin spice latte tonight?"

She interrupts me saying
"Give me this and that."

She gets to the window and I greet her. She ask for the manager, to complain about whoever is working in the drive through. By now, all the managers don't care about her. She's a rude person who has nothing better to do than complain to get free food from corporate. Always asking for our name, managers name, store number, and corporate phone number.

When she leaves I politely say

Now you have a blessed day

Hoping she gets into a car accident.

SFBB, you and Revenant Ghost have had a bad taste of humanity lately... allow me to try to make you feel a little better.

People come in many different 'styles', if you'll allow that analogy. Have you ever noticed that negativity seems to spread like wildfire, while positive things seem to go unnoticed? That's what keeps the talking heads on television in business; it is, unfortunately, all about 'shock value'. Now, I've had some bad experiences at Mickey D's... but McDonald's isn't alone. You can get bad service from the car mechanic, to a hedge fund analyst. Yet, there is a certain breed of human beings that I call the 'get-overs'. They are like plethora leeches; it usually gets passed down from generation to generation, and I remember one: my late Uncle Tony (and, no - I never adopted those types of practices).

My late Uncle Tony would walk into a restaurant supply, looking for the big bags of flour (he owned a tavern that served Italian food)... he would look around, and, wham! He would kick a hole into one of the top flour bags, and then send his seven-year-old grand nephew (yup, that's me) to go get the manager. When the manager arrived, he would say:

"This needs to be reduced."

Which the manager did promptly, back in the late 1960s. So, in closing:

No matter what, just kill those errant customers with kindness. Believe it or not, it will come back to you - even in today's fast-paced, impersonal times.

You'll be pleasantly surprised.

SFBB, you and Revenant Ghost have had a bad taste of humanity lately... allow me to try to make you feel a little better.

People come in many different 'styles', if you'll allow that analogy. Have you ever noticed that negativity seems to spread like wildfire, while positive things seem to go unnoticed? That's what keeps the talking heads on television in business; it is, unfortunately, all about 'shock value'. Now, I've had some bad experiences at Mickey D's... but McDonald's isn't alone. You can get bad service from the car mechanic, to a hedge fund analyst. Yet, there is a certain breed of human beings that I call the 'get-overs'. They are like plethora leeches; it usually gets passed down from generation to generation, and I remember one: my late Uncle Tony (and, no - I never adopted those types of practices).

My late Uncle Tony would walk into a restaurant supply, looking for the big bags of flour (he owned a tavern that served Italian food)... he would look around, and, wham! He would kick a hole into one of the top flour bags, and then send his seven-year-old grand nephew (yup, that's me) to go get the manager. When the manager arrived, he would say:

"This needs to be reduced."

Which the manager did promptly, back in the late 1960s. So, in closing:

No matter what, just kill those errant customers with kindness. Believe it or not, it will come back to you - even in today's fast-paced, impersonal times.

You'll be pleasantly surprised.

I do, that's why I don't lose my cool. Saying "have a blessed day" do I really mean it? Hell no, like I said, someone like that doesn't deserve to drive a Camaro, hope she wrecks it.

Those people, forget them. They are the simple minded problem with the world today. With people like them, the world is a sad place. I don't let them get to me, because I just stopped caring. They will get what has coming to them. Hopefully another McDonalds will spit in her food or something. I believe in Karma.

Now those good people that come to McDonalds, those are the people you don't forget. I strike up a good conversation with anyone who drives an electric vehicle, and talk about Tesla and innovations of Elon Musk. What he is doing, is where the world should be. People like him are the future. Not skanks like that women in the drive through.

I do, that's why I don't lose my cool. Saying "have a blessed day" do I really mean it? Hell no, like I said, someone like that doesn't deserve to drive a Camaro, hope she wrecks it.

Those people, forget them. They are the simple minded problem with the world today. With people like them, the world is a sad place. I don't let them get to me, because I just stopped caring. They will get what has coming to them. Hopefully another McDonalds will spit in her food or something. I believe in Karma.

Now those good people that come to McDonalds, those are the people you don't forget. I strike up a good conversation with anyone who drives an electric vehicle, and talk about Tesla and innovations of Elon Musk. What he is doing, is where the world should be. People like him are the future. Not skanks like that women in the drive through.

Well said (written). I have many acquaintances in my life, with a precious few true-blue friends - all because of people like that. Etiquette, as I was taught as a child/teen growing up between the 60s and 70s, is pretty much long gone. My parents grew up during the Great Depression - it used to irk me to no end that all of my friends' parents were younger than mine. Yet, I'm grateful to them - my parents (may they rest in peace) - for all of the values they taught my younger brother, and I. So, I still try to 'kill them (the wretched folks) with kindness' - but, when the interaction is finished, I know which ones to avoid. Like you, I don't equate pleasure with pain. LW :)

Back
Top Bottom