• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant Thread - What really grinds your gears?

Haven't seen a 7-11 in Moab. I like Maverik. They have decent coffee.
We now have some Kum and Gos here. 7-11 can't keep the coke slurpee machine working.

Moab also has City Market. Best salad bar we've seen. We usually get a motel room with fridge and MW. I don't care about going out to eat. Food's food. Doesn't taste good unless you have a book in front of you. I either have a book on the tablet or hit the Canyonlands Natural History bookstore for the latest geology book so I have something to read.

I hate when people refuse to blow their noses and sniff constantly, making me imagine mucus dripping down a throat.....ewwwww.

Happy Halloween to you, too, nalbano43... welcome to the forum where rants are king, and discussing someone's mucus ingestion are welcome. Bleah! I agree that the sniff people can be nasty... LW

Sent from my @#*

Haven't seen a 7-11 in Moab. I like Maverik. They have decent coffee.
We now have some Kum and Gos here. 7-11 can't keep the coke slurpee machine working.

Moab also has City Market. Best salad bar we've seen. We usually get a motel room with fridge and MW. I don't care about going out to eat. Food's food. Doesn't taste good unless you have a book in front of you. I either have a book on the tablet or hit the Canyonlands Natural History bookstore for the latest geology book so I have something to read.

Sounds like a great recipe for a facile mind. zuben, have a great Halloween - LW

Sent from my @#*

Dude the grill person here at McDonalds don't wear gloves. Not his fault though. McDonalds doesn't provide big enough gloves. He has giant hands.

With a bit of "special sauce".

'Special' Sauce could be anything added to your meal from a disgruntled food server. :vroam: I got caught up in some TV, but that's something that Mickey D's featured when they came up with the Big Mac, back around '69 or so. Nothing more than Thousand Island salad dressing.

I once :puke: a Big Mac when I went on a scary flight back in the early '70s, in a Cessna 172. I was nine years old, I think...

I haven't eaten one since.

When they came out with the Quarter Pounder around '72, my parents could take me to McD's once again.

Time flies. LW

Sent from my @#*

'Special' Sauce could be anything added to your meal from a disgruntled food server. :vroam: I got caught up in some TV, but that's something that Mickey D's featured when they came up with the Big Mac, back around '69 or so. Nothing more than Thousand Island salad dressing.

I once :puke: a Big Mac when I went on a scary flight back in the early '70s, in a Cessna 172. I was nine years old, I think...

I haven't eaten one since.

When they came out with the Quarter Pounder around '72, my parents could take me to McD's once again.

Time flies. LW

Sent from my @#*

I don't like people telling me to do my job: "repair and return to stock."

What did you think I was going to do, sit on it until everyone forgot it existed and then sell it on eBay?

I don't like people telling me to do my job: "repair and return to stock."

What did you think I was going to do, sit on it until everyone forgot it existed and then sell it on eBay?

Some people have streets named after them: "One Way"; they have it (the idea of a repair, done the way they want) envisioned in their minds, with no other way to get it done, and they cannot be flexible. I know how you feel, as you're the professional. It's almost like they're assessing your capabilities, before you even begin the 'work order'. Take a deep breath, and explain available options... hoping for the best outcome. Humans can sometimes make this one want to :vroam: Ah, the 'great hike of life.' There's nothing like it, Dngrsone. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. LW

Sent from my @#*

If it's a phone, some just get returned to stock. I've had some phones from licensed, not authentic TMO dealers, where the phone had the original buyer's info on it. No one, not the buyer or the return department had done anything even close to a reset.

These were not smartphones, but still, if returned to stock, check it out.

New gears are grinding... Dumb games that make people assume all games are that way.. Android gaming has no legs because of these so called time wasters.. I play a few games religiously and am a lot more competitive about them than I am on other platforms.. Just saying lol

A lot of them are. We had a gamer in the family. He liked the shoot 'em up type games. They all had basically the same plot, goal, and violence. I don't care who made them. There probably are some with decent ongoing plots and strategy, but then, I don't like violence.

If one game gets really popular, how many clones does it generate? Usually a few, since it's a proven seller or download and many want on the bandwagon.

How many clones did Angry Birds generate? Greed Games? Animal Crossing is popular. Same type of game as Monopoly. The characters are funky though.
Tried to play that, and there was nothing in the store that interested me. Bejeweled had quite a few clones.

Word and card games can be more challenging but just as timewasting.

A lot of them are. We had a gamer in the family. He liked the shoot 'em up type games. They all had basically the same plot, goal, and violence. I don't care who made them. There probably are some with decent ongoing plots and strategy, but then, I don't like violence.

If one game gets really popular, how many clones does it generate? Usually a few, since it's a proven seller or download and many want on the bandwagon.

How many clones did Angry Birds generate? Greed Games? Animal Crossing is popular. Same type of game as Monopoly. The characters are funky though.
Tried to play that, and there was nothing in the store that interested me. Bejeweled had quite a few clones.

Word and card games can be more challenging but just as timewasting.

My wife-to-be is addicted to Pogo; a site that is famous for being malware/spyware Central, not to mention hacking/cracking for personal information. I've managed to get the site to work with Chrome set to 'Do Not Track', and 'whitelisting' the site with Ghostery. The tracking cookies have been eliminated, for the most part.

I come from the last part of the pinball generation. Though my brother got my late parents addicted to the original Nintendo, I played a few of the games like Mario Brothers, Metroid, and Legend of Zelda; but, I never really got into the gaming thing. I did like the Myst series, and the car-oriented games for PS1 and 2.

I no longer have any gaming consoles, since my kids have grown up and my divorce. I've seen people crazy about the X-Box 360, and games like Call Of Duty - young parents who take control of their flat-screen entertainment system, while their kids play their new Game Boys...
The violence of some games alarms me, and then, you have the Bejeweled-style games that fall into the 'time-waster' categories (not to mention the information-gathering that they do).

Though I enjoy new tech (I'm here, aren't I?), I have concern for future generations that will become more socially-isolated due to being digitally-bound; and, social networks online don't make up for the lack of real-time human interaction.

For example, when I'm here, I post rants and observations to everyone and anyone willing to read them. I've made some online friends here, as well - and, in the other forums, I get Android information to help me make the most of this smartphone that I have. However...

I feel that real social interaction is beginning to suffer. Humans are gregarious, social animals... we need to come together more often, rather than being socially-isolated, and depending on electronica to interact with others. However, I must admit - when you live out in the country like we do, the smartphone and the computer reign supreme - especially when you have neighbors that like to fire their rifles and handguns indiscriminately at all hours; the ones that are rednecks, that we don't associate with... if it wasn't for this forum, I'd go :vroam: :vroam: :vroam: :rofl: - LW

Sent from my @#*

I don't think they do too much gathering on a Nintendo handheld. They don't need wifi to run. I have Myst on there. Looks almost like the old PC game. Haven't had it out since I bought DVDs of old World Series. I like to watch baseball at night.

Our gamer had some really good games in DOS. The ones that were stored on a 5 1/4 inch floppy.

The one game I really want back is the Russian Tetris. It's orphanware now and I liked the backdrops and the music. (that music has a youtube vid on how to play it)

It's not just the violence in the games, it's the attitude towards women that bugs me. Check out Gamergate:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate_controversy

Some jerks in Utah caused a speaker at a public gathering to cancel with threats to kill from gamers.
Another threat:
BBC News - Zoe Quinn: GamerGate must be condemned

I've heard much of the same from old redneck hicks.

I don't think they do too much gathering on a Nintendo handheld. They don't need wifi to run. I have Myst on there. Looks almost like the old PC game. Haven't had it out since I bought DVDs of old World Series. I like to watch baseball at night.

Our gamer had some really good games in DOS. The ones that were stored on a 5 1/4 inch floppy.

The one game I really want back is the Russian Tetris. It's orphanware now and I liked the backdrops and the music. (that music has a youtube vid on how to play it)

It's not just the violence in the games, it's the attitude towards women that bugs me. Check out Gamergate:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate_controversy

Some jerks in Utah caused a speaker at a public gathering to cancel with threats to kill from gamers.
Another threat:
BBC News - Zoe Quinn: GamerGate must be condemned

I've heard much of the same from old redneck hicks.

Wow. You have opened my eyes even further into something I've already noticed in the gaming industry, all the way back to the days of Brooke Burke (Chauvet). It does seem to be male-dominated entertainment, for the most part... but, even in games like "The Sims", women can be reduced to the lowest of the low - just by how the players design the female characters. Thank you for your enlightenment- LW

Sent from my @#*

I love video games. Been playing them since the Atari 2600 days. I like the single player, offline games. I play to relax after work and don't want to deal with the online idiots. Never heard of Gamergate, but it sounds like a bunch of ridiculous online trolls getting their jollies from hiding behind their keyboards and scaring women. Pathetic. Reminds me why I don't do social networks. Always turns into junior-high school level drama.

I'm a fan of video games. I don't play them nearly as much as I used to, mainly due to work, schooling, or just not feeling it.

I generally play FPS games. I grew up as Playstation kid, so games like SOCCOM, Killzone, Splinter Cell, and Rainbow Six Vegas are my typical fare. And of course, Grand Theft Auto. I never got into the online stuff though. When I was a kid, my PS2 was in my room...on the opposite side of the house from the router. This was before WiFi was big, and there was no way my dad was going to let me run CAT5 cable through the house.

When I graduated to PS3, I just never really picked up the online habit. I once tried it on Killzone 2, but could only access the European server for some reason. Couldn't understand any of the other people and even my own teammates ganged up on me for it.

I prefer offline Co-op with buddies.

Back
Top Bottom