• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant Thread - What really grinds your gears?

People who consider retrieving their own baggage from the overhead compartment, to be a higher priority than getting all of the passengers quickly and safely out of the now badly broken fuselage.

Supervisor makes his standard Friday walkthrough, dropping info on the bench on his way out the door.

This time, it's a presentation addressing our need for additional manpower. Great! We've been bitching about this for literally years.

OMG, the power-point is a freaking mess. Random capitalisation, misspellings, grammar... You name it.

He calls me by name, noting how I have built new testers, adding to our capability (and therefore justifying the need for manpower). Why? Why not just say the shop is adding capability?

Half his points cite part numbers, the rest don't. He specifies how much it cost for outside agencies to do the repairs, which means nothing when we should be saying how many units we will bring into the shop and counting how many man-hours each will require.

He throws in pictures of testers and documentation that add no value to the presentation. One of the testers he mentions actually reduces our manpower requirements by speeding up the testing process.

Twenty-eight pages of rambling, and one last page to say "essentially we need another guy on day shift." In almost those words.

I don't know who has seen this, whether it has been sent to the manager or not (the most likely audience), and whether this is an FYI to us or a request for review.

I hope the latter... I tore the thing up digitally; making edits and generating copious notes.

I fear the former, though. He's done this kind of thing before.

What's stupid is that he has a guy at his disposal who can mine data like nobody's business, has a damn English degree, and experience in doing just this kind of presentation. I have done all this stuff before.

But he never asks me to help him out on these things, so he ends up embarrassing himself.

Supervisor makes his standard Friday walkthrough, dropping info on the bench on his way out the door.

This time, it's a presentation addressing our need for additional manpower. Great! We've been bitching about this for literally years.

OMG, the power-point is a freaking mess. Random capitalisation, misspellings, grammar... You name it.

He calls me by name, noting how I have built new testers, adding to our capability (and therefore justifying the need for manpower). Why? Why not just say the shop is adding capability?

Half his points cite part numbers, the rest don't. He specifies how much it cost for outside agencies to do the repairs, which means nothing when we should be saying how many units we will bring into the shop and counting how many man-hours each will require.

He throws in pictures of testers and documentation that add no value to the presentation. One of the testers he mentions actually reduces our manpower requirements by speeding up the testing process.

Twenty-eight pages of rambling, and one last page to say "essentially we need another guy on day shift." In almost those words.

I don't know who has seen this, whether it has been sent to the manager or not (the most likely audience), and whether this is an FYI to us or a request for review.

I hope the latter... I tore the thing up digitally; making edits and generating copious notes.

I fear the former, though. He's done this kind of thing before.

What's stupid is that he has a guy at his disposal who can mine data like nobody's business, has a damn English degree, and experience in doing just this kind of presentation. I have done all this stuff before.

But he never asks me to help him out on these things, so he ends up embarrassing himself.
I completely understand...I deal with similar issues.

Honestly it sounds like you are underemployed...just like me.

You just have to do what you can to display your talent and knowledge, and hope that either management notices or you can find a better job.

To help you sleep tonight:

This Company Has Built a Profile on Every American Adult

Every move you make. Every click you take. Every game you play.
Every place you stay. They’ll be watching you.

Forget telephoto lenses and fake mustaches: The most important tools for America’s 35,000 private investigators are database subscription services. For more than a decade, professional snoops have been able to search troves of public and nonpublic records—known addresses, DMV records, photographs of a person’s car—and condense them into comprehensive reports costing as little as $10. Now they can combine that information with the kinds of things marketers know about you, such as which politicians you donate to, what you spend on groceries, and whether it’s weird that you ate in last night, to create a portrait of your life and predict your behavior.

IDI, a year-old company in the so-called data-fusion business, is the first to centralize and weaponize all that information for its customers. The Boca Raton, Fla., company’s database service, idiCORE, combines public records with purchasing, demographic, and behavioral data. Chief Executive Officer Derek Dubner says the system isn’t waiting for requests from clients—it’s already built a profile on every American adult, including young people who wouldn’t be swept up in conventional databases, which only index transactions. “We have data on that 21-year-old who’s living at home with mom and dad,” he says.​

I'm paraphrasing the story, and my Spidey sense is definitely tingling.......Seems very hard to believe the ability to measure and resolve (so finely) such data is there....... But I did hear it from a source I generally trust.

D'ya have a "smart meter"?
The story I heard a few weeks ago, indicated that "they" can compare your household power consumption (in real time), to a database, and figure out what movie you are watching. Based upon the characteristic power demands needed to drive a display screen.......Light, dark.....more light....more darker.
I can't imagine this is true, please convince me it isn't.
On second thought........... what do I have to worry about?
I'm a guy who spends most of his time aspiring to fart into the couch cushions, while watching Roadrunner cartoons.
I wish I was kidding, on all points.

Forget telephoto lenses and fake mustaches: The most important tools for America’s 35,000 private investigators are database subscription services. For more than a decade, professional snoops have been able to search troves of public and nonpublic records—known addresses, DMV records, photographs of a person’s car—and condense them into comprehensive reports costing as little as $10. Now they can combine that information with the kinds of things marketers know about you, such as which politicians you donate to, what you spend on groceries, and whether it’s weird that you ate in last night, to create a portrait of your life and predict your behavior.

IDI, a year-old company in the so-called data-fusion business, is the first to centralize and weaponize all that information for its customers. The Boca Raton, Fla., company’s database service, idiCORE, combines public records with purchasing, demographic, and behavioral data. Chief Executive Officer Derek Dubner says the system isn’t waiting for requests from clients—it’s already built a profile on every American adult, including young people who wouldn’t be swept up in conventional databases, which only index transactions. “We have data on that 21-year-old who’s living at home with mom and dad,” he says.​

They can also tell who won't answer like me - either eff off or crazy info entered. I'm probably on someone's list. My name for one, and opinions for another.

If they have such good surveillance, then why are officials from the other side of the continent still calling me looking for my crazy ex-wife?

I was talking with my son yesterday on a very similar topic.

His pet peeve is the gas cards, store cards, etc that we are supposed to divulge our entire life to just to get a card to go thru the front door. He always gives them bogus info.

I'm paraphrasing the story, and my Spidey sense is definitely tingling.......Seems very hard to believe the ability to measure and resolve (so finely) such data is there....... But I did hear it from a source I generally trust.

D'ya have a "smart meter"?
The story I heard a few weeks ago, indicated that "they" can compare your household power consumption (in real time), to a database, and figure out what movie you are watching. Based upon the characteristic power demands needed to drive a display screen.......Light, dark.....more light....more darker.
I can't imagine this is true, please convince me it isn't.
On second thought........... what do I have to worry about?
I'm a guy who spends most of his time aspiring to fart into the couch cushions, while watching Roadrunner cartoons.
I wish I was kidding, on all points.

I was talking with my son yesterday on a very similar topic.

His pet peeve is the gas cards, store cards, etc that we are supposed to divulge our entire life to just to get a card to go thru the front door. He always gives them bogus info.

Sorry to break the conversation. I think I'm in over my head. Dropbox has disabled all my links due to high traffic. What do I do! I'm furious and ecstatic simultaneously.

Edit: Ban removed temporarily. They want more money.

Last edited:
What on earth are you putting in Dropbox?

I've had it since year one and no charges. If I do stash something large, I usually download it to where it's going immediately.

Back
Top Bottom