• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant Thread - What really grinds your gears?

Have you grown weary of haunting Ebenezer?

I guess you could say that. Scrooge has it right all along.

I did say that. Would you say that?
Tongue%20Wink.png

Upvote 0
I love my credit cards! I make money off of them, not a lot but both Bank of America and Chase pay me to use my own money. I charge almost everything, bills included, and get between 1% and 3% cash back. I use Chase mostly for Amazon because that's 3%, BoA for almost everything else. BoA gave me $100 (I think, at least that much) to open the card, I then opened a savings account with them and every time I deposit my cash back amount into that they give me an additional 10%. I also send my Chase free money to that account, I have a tidy little sum of money just sitting there thanks to both of them. The key, of course, is paying the bill in full each month. If you aren't going to pay in full then there is no sense having a credit card at all and you should just use your debit card or cash.

Upvote 0
Credit exists so people can impress people they don't like, with things they don't need and that they can't afford.

Not sure why you would want to impress someone you don't like.

But I find the extra consumer protection I get from the credit card company useful. On several occasions I've had my money reclaimed from disreputable sellers. Amex have never failed me.

Upvote 0
I use credit cards online, or in places I trust less. The way I figure it, if there's a dodgy transaction on a credit card I can query it before paying anything. If there's a dodgy transaction using my debit card details the money has already gone from my account and I'm relying on the bank being prepared to make an effort to retrieve it.

I never use them for actual borrowing.

Upvote 0
Am I crazy? I hate Verizon. It's Cyber Monday. Best Buy has the smokin'est (is that a word?) deal I have seen for a while.
Let me back up.
I went out on black Friday to take my wife lunch (I never shop on black Friday) and for the heck of it stopped at Verizon to look at the Pixel in person. I was not impressed, but sales guy (darn him) got a Moto Z (Droid grr) out (out of the box) so I could see it, he was fond of them. I had already played with one a bit at Best Buy when they came out, really liked them anyway, but it felt real good in hand (without a retractable cord and cradle on it :rolleyes:). They had a pretty decent deal on both it and the Pixel for black Friday. I was tempted by the Z Droid.

Back to today, Cyber Monday, Best Buy has the 32GB (+ expandable memory!) Moto Z Droid on sale for $4.99 a month for 24 months. (With Verizon service - $55.00 a month for comparable plan to my Fi service.) Yea that's $120 bucks for the ($625) phone for those scoring at home PLUS you get both the battery pack mod and the JBL speaker mod for free, another $120 bucks worth of goodies (and the 2 mods I want).

Now I own my N6 and Fi for 2GB is $40 a month. SO I will be getting same data amount with Verizon but paying $20 more a month with the phone. Plus I loose all the groovy WiFi stuff I get with Fi. :oops:

For the love of God and all that is righteous someone talk me out of this. Remind me why I hate carriers (Verizon especially) and remind me why I went to Nexus in the first place. Remind me about waiting for OTA's remind me how Verizon is the bane of Android lovers everywhere. Oh God please help me.

:mad:

Upvote 0
Am I crazy? I hate Verizon. It's Cyber Monday. Best Buy has the smokin'est (is that a word?) deal I have seen for a while.
Let me back up.
I went out on black Friday to take my wife lunch (I never shop on black Friday) and for the heck of it stopped at Verizon to look at the Pixel in person. I was not impressed, but sales guy (darn him) got a Moto Z (Droid grr) out (out of the box) so I could see it, he was fond of them. I had already played with one a bit at Best Buy when they came out, really liked them anyway, but it felt real good in hand (without a retractable cord and cradle on it :rolleyes:). They had a pretty decent deal on both it and the Pixel for black Friday. I was tempted by the Z Droid.

Back to today, Cyber Monday, Best Buy has the 32GB (+ expandable memory!) Moto Z Droid on sale for $4.99 a month for 24 months. (With Verizon service - $55.00 a month for comparable plan to my Fi service.) Yea that's $120 bucks for the ($625) phone for those scoring at home PLUS you get both the battery pack mod and the JBL speaker mod for free, another $120 bucks worth of goodies (and the 2 mods I want).

Now I own my N6 and Fi for 2GB is $40 a month. SO I will be getting same data amount with Verizon but paying $20 more a month with the phone. Plus I loose all the groovy WiFi stuff I get with Fi. :oops:

For the love of God and all that is righteous someone talk me out of this. Remind me why I hate carriers (Verizon especially) and remind me why I went to Nexus in the first place. Remind me about waiting for OTA's remind me how Verizon is the bane of Android lovers everywhere. Oh God please help me.

A few words about Verizon that may or may not help with your decision.
Verizon = Locked Bootloader
Verizon = Bloatware the likes of which "God" has never seen. <----- This is a slightly altered quote from a Sci-fi cult classic. Nothing more.

Upvote 0
Let me back up.

Go look on Motorola's site. They did have another similar version but not with Verizon's specs

Reactions: shalemail
Upvote 0
NO DARNIT I am NOT getting a new phone and service today. At least I am trying not to.

The deal at Best Buy for Verizon service on a Moto Z with Mods is FAR and away the best deal I have seen on any phone I'd consider. The Pixel is MEH I mean so boring I almost fell asleep looknig at it, it also does not feel good in the hand, very rigid, square, bezeled, and the glass on the back does not inspire any confidence. I also like the LG V20 but no good deals on it.

So I am not looking for a deal, I found a deal (saving $625 all told on phone and mods) and I am trying not to do anything. :mad:

Upvote 0
Piece of crap minivan...

Okay, it is eleven years old...

The engine is just fine, it's just the "luxury" parts misbehaving: the mirrors move around at random, the power doors won't open or close, one of the removable seats won't come out...
Sounds like it is time for haunted van rides. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones