• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][MetroPCS & T-Mobile] Katana ROM *Updated 11-16-2015*

Love the battery life so far
Screenshot_2016-01-05-03-15-38.png

I wasn't going to charge it until the morning when I got up but when I leave for work, I need 100% battery. I'll really put it to the test tomorrow.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
Not a big issue but one thing I noticed is I can't buy a app on my pc and get it to go through. No problems on free apps or previously installed paid apps, but for a new paid app I have to do from my device.
I didn't install any GAPPS package just put on the apps that I want, but guessing there is some google app not installed that may be causing it.
Idea's or suggestions. Thanks for your help

Upvote 0
Maybe a reflash could help, never experienced that issue before. I mean on aosp I have but on custom stock, never.
I did that last night and still the same. Think it could be related to GAPPS? Did most of you install a gapps package? I am new to this but thought the ROM had all necessary google apps in it just no extra stuff which I like. Now I can just choose the apps I want
Thanks for the reply

Upvote 0
I did that last night and still the same. Think it could be related to GAPPS? Did most of you install a gapps package? I am new to this but thought the ROM had all necessary google apps in it just no extra stuff which I like. Now I can just choose the apps I want
Thanks for the reply
Woops, I thought this was the CM thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, you need GApps. They are not open source and cannot legally be implemented into roms.

I'd give it a shot.
Actually you're wrong with all due respect, this is a stock derived ROM, meaning it can legally include gapps as it did when LG released it, install open gapps, use the aroma installer for easier installation and less issues overall.

Reactions: stinger2k
Upvote 0
Ok, just read these and thanks for the feedback to all. I guess gapps is the issue from reading, although it's on when trying to BUY an app from my pc or laptop. Installing my other apps that way no issue.
So do most of you have GAPPS installed? Should I, and if so what package works best on this ROM?
Try using opengapps.org they carry the latest gapps possible, just make sure everything is the same and then scroll down amd hit download, ots a pretty big download but itll update every google app to the latest possible. You get to customize the apps you want installed, please note that you can't install all apps sense we don't have enough space.
Screenshot_2016-01-05-17-39-48.png

Upvote 0
Ok, just read these and thanks for the feedback to all. I guess gapps is the issue from reading, although it's on when trying to BUY an app from my pc or laptop. Installing my other apps that way no issue.
So do most of you have GAPPS installed? Should I, and if so what package works best on this ROM?
No, I though this was the thread for CM, so, GApps aren't required/are built-in, sorry about that.

Reactions: zimlokks
Upvote 0
Thanks !!! Definitely not going to install all apps, actually want the opposite, as few as I need for it work right. Would a mini app be enough?
I'm just thinking I may not know what to choose ti install. Or do you have recommendation of what to choose out of the Aroma?
You get to choose what you want, all important apps and services are updated regardless of your choosing. I believe it removes old gapps that you don't choose to replace(don't quote me on this.) Always back up!

No, I though this was the thread for CM, so, GApps aren't required/are built-in, sorry about that.
Nevertheless you can install opengapps, I asked GT awhile back if he or someone could build a script to remove all traces of gapps a while back to install a full gapp package but opengapps does the job

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not a big issue but one thing I noticed is I can't buy a app on my pc and get it to go through. No problems on free apps or previously installed paid apps, but for a new paid app I have to do from my device.
I didn't install any GAPPS package just put on the apps that I want, but guessing there is some google app not installed that may be causing it.
Idea's or suggestions. Thanks for your help
I just did this with two different apps and it worked for me, looks like its something on your end.

Upvote 0
Hey Blu8 were they apps you had to pay for?
I am kinda thinking that too. I haven't installed any GAPPS packages yet because everything is working. I can go the google play and install apps and buy apps from my phone. If I go to google play from my laptop or pc I can install apps to my phone fine but if it's a NEW purchase for a app it gets to where you click buy and when I do it just freezes. I love not having all the google stuff but want to the basics that are needed which I think are already in the ROM. My gmail works fine with BlueMail, the app I like. If there was a app or 2 I need I am fine flashing them but not sure that's it. Heck may be a pc issue, although never had a problem buying apps before.

Upvote 0
Don't know what to tell you about fixing it. They were both paid apps and both I've never installed before, paid for them on pc and it downloaded and installed just fine. All I flashed was the ROM, partitions, the custom boot animation by DrakenFX and some of the bloatware apps, nothing that would really affect this.

Upvote 0
Don't know what to tell you about fixing it. They were both paid apps and both I've never installed before, paid for them on pc and it downloaded and installed just fine. All I flashed was the ROM, partitions, the custom boot animation by DrakenFX and some of the bloatware apps, nothing that would really affect this.
I hear ya. I don't buy a lot of apps and most of them have already been purchased and installed fine. You also answered my next question for you which was ,did you install gapps and it seems like you didn't. If I am not missing it I am not going to install it until I do need it. Other then that is running great. Had a few issues with dropped calls (may have been on my end, may not) so I flashed Katana again and no issues. At this point I am going to leave it alone unless someone comes up with a idea besides a gapps package like maybe a specific app or 2 that would effect my issue. Thanks for you help !!!

Reactions: Blu8
Upvote 0
@stinger2k when you installed the ROM you had to factory reset which I'm gonna assume you did, when setting up your phone again, did you choose set up as new device or set up as prior device?
Yes. I followed the instructions and did the factory reset in TWRP as it said. I don't remember having a choice for a new device or prior device but after it booted up it was at the beginning like a new device asking for "what language" and then moved thru all the steps like it was a new device.
Going to re flash again here in a bit. Have any suggestions before I do it again? Thanks for your help

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones