• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Mikfroyo - ALL Versions

You're getting that error in the terminal emulator? What exactly do you mean do you need to install to a specific path?

Yeah, thats the error I get in terminal. When I click on the busybox to launch the app do I need to install it to a specific path?

I also tried the cut and paste method using a root file explorer I downloaded. It allows me to paste the file into the system/customize folder. I also verify that the widget.txt is -rw. Then I reboot my phone but the notification bar looks the same and doesn't show the changes in the widget.txt file.

Upvote 0
Interesting. You can remount /system as rw in the terminal with a specific command, but if you got a root explorer, let's not bother with that.

1) Are you sure you formatted the file correctly?
2) Are you sure you gave "user" rw (or at least r) permissions? There are three groups - user, group, and other. This you can at least check from the terminal. When you do ls -l /system/customize/widget.txt, the first part of the line will look like -r--rwxr-x, or something similar to that. What specifically do you see?

Reactions: stevcha
Upvote 0
Interesting. You can remount /system as rw in the terminal with a specific command, but if you got a root explorer, let's not bother with that.

1) Are you sure you formatted the file correctly?
2) Are you sure you gave "user" rw (or at least r) permissions? There are three groups - user, group, and other. This you can at least check from the terminal. When you do ls -l /system/customize/widget.txt, the first part of the line will look like -r--rwxr-x, or something similar to that. What specifically do you see?

----rwxr-x system sdcard_rw

From the looks of it the file doesnt have read access does it?

Upvote 0
Is busybox asking you to install it somewhere specific? I haven't installed it from the market in a while.

Anyway, what root explorer are you using? There should be an option to change permissions. In root explorer, you can long press on the file, and select permissions. In that one line, the first - means it's a file, the next three dashes mean the user (root here) does't have permissions to read the file, so when it boots, it can't change the widgets.

Upvote 0
Is busybox asking you to install it somewhere specific? I haven't installed it from the market in a while.

Anyway, what root explorer are you using? There should be an option to change permissions. In root explorer, you can long press on the file, and select permissions. In that one line, the first - means it's a file, the next three dashes mean the user (root here) does't have permissions to read the file, so when it boots, it can't change the widgets.

I downloaded Super Manager. But I don't think it allows for changing file permissions. I long pressed and checked options and there's nothing. I think busybox installed correctly. Can I change permissions using terminal?

Upvote 0
Great :). Yeah, you can do it from the command line, but you have to mount /system as rw. I forgot to give you that step, earlier. Of course, now that I'm trying it, it's not working. Since you got it working, I'll figure this out later. I know you can do it pretty easily. I always use root explorer. It's just a little faster.

EDIT: Got it:

mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

I wonder if it varies based on the ROM/busybox version. You don't always need to give it that much information.

Upvote 0
I downloaded Super Manager. But I don't think it allows for changing file permissions. I long pressed and checked options and there's nothing. I think busybox installed correctly. Can I change permissions using terminal?

I just realized I had you install busybox. I don't know what I was thinking. It's included in the ROM. Oh well, it shouldn't harm anything.

Upvote 0
Well this is interesting after I rebooted my phone all of sudden a bunch of apps are missing. They're not listed in the app drawer or under applications in settings. First time this has happened. Any ideas?

1) What kernel are you currently using?
2) Which apps are missing? Is it just apps you've moved to the sdcard, or more than that?
3) If "yes" to the above, go to manage applications, then select the tab for apps on the sd card. Do you see the names of the apps, or just something like "com.whatever"?
4) Are you giving it a good minute or two after booting up before you check? It can take a couple minutes for all of your apps on the sdcard to show up.

Upvote 0
1) What kernel are you currently using?
2) Which apps are missing? Is it just apps you've moved to the sdcard, or more than that?
3) If "yes" to the above, go to manage applications, then select the tab for apps on the sd card. Do you see the names of the apps, or just something like "com.whatever"?
4) Are you giving it a good minute or two after booting up before you check? It can take a couple minutes for all of your apps on the sdcard to show up.

It was really strange cause I noticed I was running the stock #15 kernel so I decided to flash netarchy's 4.3 cfs no sbc kernel. Keep in mind I had already flashed this earlier in the day. But I think I may have restored nandroid that had #15 on it. So since I knew my phone already worked with 4.3 I just decided to flash then make another nandroid backup. So after all that I rebooted and that's when a bunch of my apps disappeared including TI backup. It seems like it was all the apps I had downloaded from the market. I hadn't moved any apps to SD card yet so I'm not sure if it was only those. I waited about half an hour but the apps still didn't show. I decided to try restore the newest nandroid I made when flashing 4.3. Everything restored but when I rebooted the same thing happened again. All the same apps had disappeared.

Thankfully I had an older nandroid with #15 and restored that. Sure enough all the apps reappeared. So I flashed 4.3 again and rebooted. Everything looked good. Good thing for nandroids, lol.

Looking at my apps now it seems like the ones that had disappeared were on the phones internal storage and SD card.

On another note I can't believe the battery life on this ROM/Kernel combo. With Myn's I always shut off "always data on" when I went to bed. It would lose about 25% over an 8 hr span. With "always data on" it was about 35% to 40% over same amount of time. Last night with Mik's with "always data on" on over 8 hours I lost only 15%. We'll see how it goes the rest of the day. So far I love this ROM. The overall speed, additional internal storage, and battery life are a huge plus.

Upvote 0
It was really strange cause I noticed I was running the stock #15 kernel so I decided to flash netarchy's 4.3 cfs no sbc kernel. Keep in mind I had already flashed this earlier in the day. But I think I may have restored nandroid that had #15 on it. So since I knew my phone already worked with 4.3 I just decided to flash then make another nandroid backup. So after all that I rebooted and that's when a bunch of my apps disappeared including TI backup. It seems like it was all the apps I had downloaded from the market. I hadn't moved any apps to SD card yet so I'm not sure if it was only those. I waited about half an hour but the apps still didn't show. I decided to try restore the newest nandroid I made when flashing 4.3. Everything restored but when I rebooted the same thing happened again. All the same apps had disappeared.

Thankfully I had an older nandroid with #15 and restored that. Sure enough all the apps reappeared. So I flashed 4.3 again and rebooted. Everything looked good. Good thing for nandroids, lol.

Looking at my apps now it seems like the ones that had disappeared were on the phones internal storage and SD card.

On another note I can't believe the battery life on this ROM/Kernel combo. With Myn's I always shut off "always data on" when I went to bed. It would lose about 25% over an 8 hr span. With "always data on" it was about 35% to 40% over same amount of time. Last night with Mik's with "always data on" on over 8 hours I lost only 15%. We'll see how it goes the rest of the day. So far I love this ROM. The overall speed, additional internal storage, and battery life are a huge plus.

Interesting. A bad kernel flash can do stuff like that. Weird that it was apps on internal memory as well. I remember one time, I flashed one of the kings kernels, and a bunch of apps disappeared. I couldn't get it to work until I restored a nandroid backup. Flashing a different kernel before that didn't do any good. In my case, though, it was just apps on the sdcard.

As for your battery life, I think you have a bigger problem than rom/kernel combo. 15% drop over 8 hours of inactivity is not normal. I have the same ROM/kernel combo, and my batter drops 1-2%, but sometimes as high as 6% during the night. Granted I turn off the 3g/wifi radios auto sync, but that shouldn't make that much of a difference. 25-40% is especially not normal. I suggest you install spare parts, plug the phone in then unplug it right before going to bed, let it sit over night, then check check partial wake usage since last unplugged. See if anything kept the phone awake for more than a few minutes.

Upvote 0
Interesting. A bad kernel flash can do stuff like that. Weird that it was apps on internal memory as well. I remember one time, I flashed one of the kings kernels, and a bunch of apps disappeared. I couldn't get it to work until I restored a nandroid backup. Flashing a different kernel before that didn't do any good. In my case, though, it was just apps on the sdcard.

As for your battery life, I think you have a bigger problem than rom/kernel combo. 15% drop over 8 hours of inactivity is not normal. I have the same ROM/kernel combo, and my batter drops 1-2%, but sometimes as high as 6% during the night. Granted I turn off the 3g/wifi radios auto sync, but that shouldn't make that much of a difference. 25-40% is especially not normal. I suggest you install spare parts, plug the phone in then unplug it right before going to bed, let it sit over night, then check check partial wake usage since last unplugged. See if anything kept the phone awake for more than a few minutes.

I've always had double digit battery drop overnight. I just thought it was normal, lol. It might be some of my settings. I have two aol email accounts set up to check every 5 mins. I have FB and weatherbug set to update every hour. Always data on definitely improved my battery life on Myn's. I just forgot to shut it off last night. Wifi/GPS is pretty much always off. But I'll give the spare parts thing a try tonight.

Upvote 0
I've always had double digit battery drop overnight. I just thought it was normal, lol. It might be some of my settings. I have two aol email accounts set up to check every 5 mins. I have FB and weatherbug set to update every hour. Always data on definitely improved my battery life on Myn's. I just forgot to shut it off last night. Wifi/GPS is pretty much always off. But I'll give the spare parts thing a try tonight.

If you have a lot of things using data all night long, I suppose that's not a huge drop. 25-40% is a pretty big drop for just sitting there, though, even with stuff running in the background. You might consider using something such as tasker to disable the wifi/3g and autosync during the night. That is, of course, unless you absolutely need to have them running at night.

Upvote 0
If you have a lot of things using data all night long, I suppose that's not a huge drop. 25-40% is a pretty big drop for just sitting there, though, even with stuff running in the background. You might consider using something such as tasker to disable the wifi/3g and autosync during the night. That is, of course, unless you absolutely need to have them running at night.

Well the 25 - 40 was with Myn's. Only about 15 with Mik's. I'm gonna turn always data on off tonight and see how it does. I have a feeling it will be in the single digits.

On another note how's Mik's working for you?

Upvote 0
What versions of the radio and pri do I need with this Rom? Is this a 3.3 or 3.7 based rom?

[ROM] - [01/08/2011] - MikFroYo v4.3 - ReEngineered Sense - Simply Fast. - xda-developers

It's all in there :). 3.70 based ROM. Requires latest radio/wimax/pri/nv:

[ Radios ][ 12-17 ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI, NV & HBoot versions - xda-developers

Well the 25 - 40 was with Myn's. Only about 15 with Mik's. I'm gonna turn always data on off tonight and see how it does. I have a feeling it will be in the single digits.

On another note how's Mik's working for you?

Even when I've kept all the radios on, it didn't drop that much. Try the spare parts thing. I could be that you just have a lot of things syncing. I still that kind of battery drain you had on myn's was way too high. It could be that you need to downgrade PRI to 1.77. How was your battery life before 3.70 (or did you start there)?

Anyway, this rom is working fine for me. I'm having some problems with tasker that are unrelated to this specific rom, as I've had them before. Darn thing's giving me a headache, I'll tell ya.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones