• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Mobster Rom HD/Lite - 031513

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also my brother brought his windows 8 laptop and wetested the speeds today. It was about 100 kbps -120kbps. We were using the wifi tether app. SO either the tether app is limiting it or my desktop windows 7 (64bit)pc is...

Also my brother brought his windows 8 laptop and wetested the speeds today. It was about 100 kbps -120kbps. We were using the wifi tether app. SO either the tether app is limiting it or my desktop windows 7 (64bit)pc is...

Hmmm...gotta think for a bit.

Let's rule out all variables in testing.
Can you run 3 back to back tests with your Macbook and phone? Also, to rule out any variables, please use the website Speed Test | Bandwidth | Broadband Internet Services for all testing. Open it in the web browser of both your macbook and phone. Don't use an app of any sort on either device.

Make sure you connect to the same server on both devices. Only run one test at a time, and alternate between them...first on the phone, then macbook. Repeat this 3 times minimizing the time between tests, but slow enough to record your results.

Here's what I get over 3G (all speeds in Mbps)

Phone
Test 1: 2.16 dl/.22 ul
Test 2: 2.31 dl/ .15 ul
Test 3: 2.31 dl/ .2 ul

Nexus 7
Test 1: 2.8 dl/.29 ul
Test 2: 2.48 dl/.1 ul
Test 3: 1.84 dl/ .1 ul

As you can see, the speed changes over time...though not by an enormous amount. I am not getting much of a difference between the dl speed on the devices so I'd say that something is up. Also, do you have the routing fix enabled in the WiFi Tether app? It's in the settings.

Ok on my macbook (*routing fix is enabled in the wifi tether app which is what i'm using)

Test Results:

Phone
(Download/Upload)

Test 1: 1.6mbps/ 0.54mbps
Test 2: 3.6mbps/ 0.63mbps
Test 3: 4.08mbps/ 0.54mbps
Average: 3.013mbps/ 0.57mbps

Macbook

(Download/Upload)

Test 1: 1.84mbps/ 0.29mbps
Test 2: 4.08mbps/ 0.54mbps
Test 3: 3.36mbps/ 0.37mbps
Average: 3.09mbps/ 0.40mbps

So what can be the problem? I'm gettin decent speed with my phone and macbook and my brother's laptop ,but when I connect to a desktop my speed drops....

Thanks,
Eric

You may have a program on your PC thats taking up bandwidth and you dont even know it. That will throw off speed tests. Try exiting everything you can and kill whatever you dont need in taskmanager(AS LONG AS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING! KILLING APPS THAT ARE ESSENTIAL TO WINDOWS WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS!) and run the tests again.

The only program that are unnecessary and running in the background are: Steam, Origin, Fraps. I always start origin and steam in offline mode so they don't use my internet and fraps don't use internet. Is there a way I can monitor how much data my phone is sending it through the usb? could my phone be splitting the bandwith?

Thanks,
Eric

Ok on my macbook (*routing fix is enabled in the wifi tether app which is what i'm using)

Test Results:

Phone
(Download/Upload)

Test 1: 1.6mbps/ 0.54mbps
Test 2: 3.6mbps/ 0.63mbps
Test 3: 4.08mbps/ 0.54mbps
Average: 3.013mbps/ 0.57mbps

Macbook

(Download/Upload)

Test 1: 1.84mbps/ 0.29mbps
Test 2: 4.08mbps/ 0.54mbps
Test 3: 3.36mbps/ 0.37mbps
Average: 3.09mbps/ 0.40mbps

So what can be the problem? I'm gettin decent speed with my phone and macbook and my brother's laptop ,but when I connect to a desktop my speed drops....

Thanks,
Eric

Good results :D

OK, so that's awesome I suppose. As for the USB tethering...I don't if the program you're using on the PC to make the connection has a governor on it, look around in the settings...

Is it a USB, USB2, or USB3 connection? What about the cable? Is it the stock OEM cable? Use that if you haven't already...and repeat those same tests except with USB tether and your PC...post results.

USB 2.0 ,but I have a 3 available... (my cord is a usb 2.0) the cord was on sale at best buy here is the link to it on amazon:Amazon.com: Dexim DWA065WL Visible Green Smart Charger w/ Micro-USB for Smartphones (White/Blue): Cell Phones & Accessories I rooted my phone with this cord actually and have had no problems with it...

OK PC TEST RESULTS:
(download/Upload)

Test 1: 2mbps/ 0.18mbps
Test 2: 1.52mbps/ 0.10mbps
Test 3: 2.08mbps/0.22mbps
Average: 1.86mbps/0.166mbps
So why is my speed limited when downloading something ,but not on this site?

To go from megabits to kilobytes, divide by 8 (that brings you to megabytes) then multiply by 1000 ( takes you to kilobytes).

1.86 / 8 x 1000 = 232.5kBs

I can see my tower that gives me service lol and I'm getting 20kbps of download speed when I should be getting 80-120kbps

The time of day will impact bandwidth. That's why it's important to do the tests in as short a time as possible. Your results look ok to me, did I miss something? I am watching the walking dead marathon right now so my attention is split.

Well I'm still getting slower than dial up download speeds when I should be getting 100kbps...

Well I'm still getting slower than dial up download speeds when I should be getting 100kbps...

Am I the only one who d doesn't see it?
Go back and look at your numbers.
It looks to me like you're getting over 1 mbps. Why are we converting kbps to kBps?
56kbps is modem speed. You're getting way more than that.

Usb Tethering can be slow, Using a USB Wifi Adapter can be just as slow, and if your PC has low specs that'll also make it slower........... basically to get decent speeds you'll need Great Signal, Really good 3G and or 4G, and a decent Spec and or New PC :smokingsomb:

It is definently isn't my pc
Windows 7 64bit
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB
etc...

also I'm still getting 20kbps though.. I've tried downloading something off of multiple sites to see if was a server issue ,but it isn't...
So what about the wifi thing I mentioned a little bit ago? also I think my pc is limiting the connection because when i connect it it says I do not have an internet connection ,but I do...

It is definently isn't my pc
Windows 7 64bit
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB
etc...

also I'm still getting 20kbps though.. I've tried downloading something off of multiple sites to see if was a server issue ,but it isn't...
So what about the wifi thing I mentioned a little bit ago? also I think my pc is limiting the connection because when i connect it it says I do not have an internet connection ,but I do...

Its weird that a pc with those specs doesn't have a WiFi card built in already.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom