• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Virgin Mobile Revamp [05.15.2013]

I am having trouble with the Post Install. I got stuck with the Step

∙ Add this line: "##########", without the main qoutes, where ########## is your 10 digit phone number, right above the vm_id_key property
I hit enter to get the extra line above vm_id_key then I put my 10 digit # in then I Saved and exit.
Then I tried doing this next step
∙ Delete com.android.phone_preferences.xml.bak

But I could not find were this file was that I had to delete. Can anybody Help me?

I could never get this to work and finally added a shortcut to call my number.

Should the number be in this format <xxxxxxxxxx/> or just the number?

Upvote 0
Hi. I have a couple questions about adding the phone number to the xml file. First, there's no explanation as to why this is necessary or what is the benefit. So, why?

Secondly, I'm a little baffled by the instructions as to what the proper format is. It currently reads:

<string
name="vm_id_key">xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</
string>

Does the phone number go above the "<string" simply as <5555555555/> as a separate, isolated statement? Or is it part of the string statement?

Upvote 0
Hi. I have a couple questions about adding the phone number to the xml file. First, there's no explanation as to why this is necessary or what is the benefit. So, why?

Secondly, I'm a little baffled by the instructions as to what the proper format is. It currently reads:

<string
string>

Does the phone number go above the "<string" simply as <5555555555/> as a separate, isolated statement? Or is it part of the string statement?

This is for the voicemail to work correctly. Like when you get a voicemail notification and you click it, it will actually take you to your voicemail as it normally should. Instead of doing this people just call themselves to listen to their voicemails.

From what you posted it seems that you just have to replace the Xs with your phone number and it should work.

Upvote 0
NEW FEATURES
05/15/2013
&#8729; Odexed all apps to help speed up ROM
&#8729; moved ROM to g60madman.vmobi.us

The new ROM is much more fast than before, I odexed all apk files. Also I moved the FTP site to Vmobi which is the new Virgin Mobile Developer network I started for VM dev's

vmobi.us

As always Enjoy :D

This ROM sings! It is so fast and clean!

Reactions: g60madman
Upvote 0
I've been using the holo locker along with the holo launcher with this. Some funky stuff like random reboots once in a while, and I get force-closes on some apps. For example facebook was crapping out on me with a 'force close/report' until I rebooted, then was fine. Play Music also had some problems until I rebooted.

Ran the last version of the rom and had some random reboots with that, but no force closes. Might just be a little teething problems that'll work themselves out in a couple of days.

Upvote 0
Is Froyo rom can't get usb or wifi tethering work? This rom and BSyd's rom that i can't get my usb or wifi tethering work. In the laptop, it shows connected but no data. 3g data work fine on the phone. please correct me for mis-config something wrong.
The base of this ROM is the U9000 ROM, so you will have the same issues with this as the other, I suggest trying the Sharp ROM or trying to use the mtu script that I refered to when I answered your questions in the U9000 thread.

<string
string>

This is for the voicemail to work correctly. Like when you get a voicemail notification and you click it, it will actually take you to your voicemail as it normally should. Instead of doing this people just call themselves to listen to their voicemails.

From what you posted it seems that you just have to replace the Xs with your phone number and it should work.
Mancow has it right. Just replace the x's with your phone number and send yourself a voicemail before you start, just to be sure that the file is created.

My instructions may be a lil outdated as I think somebody mentioned ES has changed it's layout, but the rest of the process is the same.

So, this is how it should be :<string name="vm_number_key_cdma">5175551212</string>

Voicemail Fix Instructions:
Thanks to wsimon

1. Install es file explorer or equivalent, that can use root privilege, from the market. In es file explorer press menu, go to settings, all the way down enable "Root Explorer" and "Mount File System". Then go back and press favorites and select the phone. You should be good from there.
2. Open up /data/data/com.android.phone/shared_prefs/com.android.phone_preferences.xml
Note:
If the file is not there send yourself a voicemail and it should be there.
3. Add this line: "<string name="vm_number_key_cdma">##########</string>", without the main qoutes, where ########## is your 10 digit phone number, right above the vm_id_key property
4. Save and exit.
5. Delete com.android.phone_preferences.xml.bak
6. Reboot for it to take effect.
6. (Optional)Make a backup of the file you just modified for future use.

Reactions: buzzcon
Upvote 0
I've been using the holo locker along with the holo launcher with this. Some funky stuff like random reboots once in a while, and I get force-closes on some apps. For example facebook was crapping out on me with a 'force close/report' until I rebooted, then was fine. Play Music also had some problems until I rebooted.

Ran the last version of the rom and had some random reboots with that, but no force closes. Might just be a little teething problems that'll work themselves out in a couple of days.

Had the FC problem after loading my bank of america app. After it died once it worked after that, same as facebook did yesterday. I factory reset and wiped the caches several times, then loaded the rom, then had it reload all 35 apps and settings. Took a fresh titanium backup and it noted the change in android ID, I kept the new one. Seems like each time I launch an app the first time it works a bit and then FC's and then works okay after that.

Upvote 0
The base of this ROM is the U9000 ROM, so you will have the same issues with this as the other, I suggest trying the Sharp ROM or trying to use the mtu script that I refered to when I answered your questions in the U9000 thread.

I switch from your Sharp rom to this due to no Tethering.. Switch from MTDV CM7 to this rom due to I love to connect HDMI to my HD TV to watch netflix. Now I miss the 3g Tethering.

Upvote 0
I switch from your Sharp rom to this due to no Tethering.. Switch from MTDV CM7 to this rom due to I love to connect HDMI to my HD TV to watch netflix. Now I miss the 3g Tethering.
So were those apps you mentioned fc'ing on the Sharp ROM?

To get tether working on any of my froyo ports you just have to run the script to change the mtu for it to work. Yes, it is an extra step but it only takes a second and how often do you tether. I don't know why it is set to 1472, it is a VM network thing as far as I can tell.

More info can be found here [DEV][INFO]Motorola Triumph MTU/Tether settings ideas and info

Upvote 0
On some ROMS there is a backspace in case you input an incorrect number. On Revamp, you must exit and start the number over. Is putting in a backspace a biggie?

Do you mean on the phone pad? If so, it's probably a part of the Phone.apk. As such, you might be able to add in another Phone.apk and might be able to gain the internal functionality. i.e. ##virgin#$ or what ever.

Upvote 0
Please update the voicemail tweak instructions with the proper instructions. The current ones DO NOT WORK.

The correct instructions are:

Thanks to wsimon

1. Install es file explorer or equivalent, that can use root privilege, from the market. In es file explorer press menu, go to settings, all the way down enable "Root Explorer" and "Mount File System". Then go back and press favorites and select the phone. You should be good from there.
2. Open up /data/data/com.android.phone/shared_prefs/com.android.phone_preferences.xml
Note:
3. Add this line: "<string name="vm_number_key_cdma">##########</string>", without the main qoutes, where ########## is your 10 digit phone number, right above the vm_id_key property
4. Save and exit.

Upvote 0
I found that the easiest way to take care of the phone setup is to copy the file to your SD card. From there you can pull it to your PC and edit it with Notepad of similar. You can add the line with your phone number save it on your PC then transfer back to your phone SD card. After flashing a new Froyo 2.2.2 base ROM, download and run ROM Toolbox lite (free), go to the Root Browser feature and find the data/data/com.android.phone/shared_prefs folder on your phone then slide the screen to the left and you will be looking at the contents on your SD card. Find the edited file you save there, copy it, then slide the screen to the right to get back to the phone data/data folder. Paste over and your done! I'm no expert but I've flashed enough Froyo Roms and found that this make it easy to fix the phone number after flashing.

Upvote 0
Please update the voicemail tweak instructions with the proper instructions. The current ones DO NOT WORK.

The correct instructions are:

Thanks to wsimon

Note:
4. Save and exit.

These instructions dont work, there is no ?root file explorer option in settings. Also you cannot select ?phone on the filesystem. There is ?/ or the root filesystem. However in /data it is empty... stuck

Upvote 0
These instructions dont work, there is no ?root file explorer option in settings. Also you cannot select ?phone on the filesystem. There is ?/ or the root filesystem. However in /data it is empty... stuck

Assuming you are referring to ES File Explorer, the new version has a dramatically different ui.

Hit Menu-> Tools-> scroll down to Root Explorer-> select Mount R/W and select what you need by selecting R/W in the tick boxes.

"Menu" can be either the menu key on phone capacitive buttons or the globe/phone icon @ top left.
It will then slide open.

Reactions: SteboMT
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones