• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][WIP] CyanogenMod 7 | Android 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) | Current Version: 09122011

I just loaded the latest build worked right out of the box for metropcs. The only issue I had was loading the google apps. They all did not load on start-up even though I had selected all. Was no problem though - just went to the market and installed the rest.

Like this version alot - real fast!!!! Thanks everyone.

Upvote 0
I know its always recomended but is it absolutly necessary to clean wipe before installing this update or could we just install this over CM7-05022011? Just wondering as I have my phone just the way I would like it and would like to retain the settings and all around setup of the phone. I tried using titanium backup after a clean wipe from cm7-04162011 to cm7-05022011 and it caused my phone to always remain stuck at the CM7 bootanimation.

Upvote 0
I know its always recomended but is it absolutly necessary to clean wipe before installing this update or could we just install this over CM7-05022011? Just wondering as I have my phone just the way I would like it and would like to retain the settings and all around setup of the phone. I tried using titanium backup after a clean wipe from cm7-04162011 to cm7-05022011 and it caused my phone to always remain stuck at the CM7 bootanimation.

I think you just answered your own question. But most launchers have a setting to back up settings and icon placement to your sd card. After you flash just go to the launchers settings and import the old settings. If i wasn't clear, always wipe.

Upvote 0
I think you just answered your own question. But most launchers have a setting to back up settings and icon placement to your sd card. After you flash just go to the launchers settings and import the old settings. If i wasn't clear, always wipe.

Well, the only reason I was asking was because USUALLY when Isaacj releases a new version he notes that a clean wipe is more than likely required to flash that version. Since I hadn't noted anything on any of his posts or prepaidandroid.org, I figured I'd ask to save myself some time and effort and possibly clear up any questions anyone else may have had.

Also, it would be nice to just update like you would with a stock android OS rather than having to clean wipe everytime. I know that this is not the best thing since a lot of apps will start to force close as such but atleast you could uninstall those apps and reinstall rather than having to go through the hassle of backing everything up and reinstalling everything each and everytime as there have been 3 updates to this rom in the past 4 days. And, like any tech head, I generally like to keep my rom up-to-date.

Upvote 0
I agree it is a bit of a hassle but I'm not gonna frown on updates. But the main reason why the wiping is advised is because when problems arise it is usually due to the person not wiping. Also some people don't do so well with trouble shooting the problem so it's just easier to wipe. But if you know a lot about flashing and trouble shooting, it could not hurt to try without the wipe.

Upvote 0
I agree it is a bit of a hassle but I'm not gonna frown on updates. But the main reason why the wiping is advised is because when problems arise it is usually due to the person not wiping. Also some people don't do so well with trouble shooting the problem so it's just easier to wipe. But if you know a lot about flashing and trouble shooting, it could not hurt to try without the wipe.

Tried it with surprising success. Only issue was that some of the apps, market in particular, would not even run. I would click on the Market, get a black screen, and then it would take me right back to my previous screen. So I am installing fresh since I backed up with Titanium and backed up LP settings, instead of troubleshooting as I believe this will be just as fast. Hopefully all these will work properly. Also, when I installed 05022011, I never had to format my SD card before rebooting my device for the first time. I did do this for 04162011 and both had no problems on install or functionality.

Upvote 0
Well, the only reason I was asking was because USUALLY when Isaacj releases a new version he notes that a clean wipe is more than likely required to flash that version. Since I hadn't noted anything on any of his posts or prepaidandroid.org, I figured I'd ask to save myself some time and effort and possibly clear up any questions anyone else may have had.

Also, it would be nice to just update like you would with a stock android OS rather than having to clean wipe everytime. I know that this is not the best thing since a lot of apps will start to force close as such but atleast you could uninstall those apps and reinstall rather than having to go through the hassle of backing everything up and reinstalling everything each and everytime as there have been 3 updates to this rom in the past 4 days. And, like any tech head, I generally like to keep my rom up-to-date.

Well, technically, you should be able to just flash right over any build newer than 05012011. 04162011 has some system stuff that's older/different than the newer builds. The problem I find is some users can flash directly without a wipe, but some people can't. So, to be fair (and cut down on problems and confusion), I always recommend a wipe. Like I said, I do know a good amount of people who just flash on top (which is how it should be). I think PlayfulGod is a good example of a user who just flashes on top.

A brief explanation of wiping. Essentially, you have data and cache that's being put aside as apps run. (There's also more to it, like WIFI settings, contacts, etc.). When you wipe, you clear those settings and configurations. If you flashing a new build on top of an existing one, it's not bad. You're just placing a new boot img and system img on the phone. MOST of the time, this doesn't cause conflicts with the existing data and cache you already have. The OS will usually accommodate for the changes.

The people who are getting stuck (at the Huawei screen) aren't having trouble with ROM conflicts. This is a problem with a bad flash. I know this because if it's caught at the Huawei screen (and not the CM7 boot animation) that means it hasn't made it that far in the boot process. Something isn't working correctly in CWM so that it flashes correctly over an existing ROM. I'm pretty much spit balling here as no one has provided me a logcat of the error. If I can see the error, I can know what's wrong.

EDIT: I should also mention that wiping before flashing a new build is NOT a common occurrence in the world of CyanogenMOD. I have CM7 on my Optimus V and I've NEVER wiped. So, I hope at some point, these flashing problems will be fixed. Blame Huawei for making such a ass-backwards phone.

Reactions: tony442 and Gmash
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones