• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROOT] Using SetCPU + Perflock Disabler to Save Battery, Underclock

Holy hell...I just added a few of the profiles above and my phone kept rebooting. I couldn't even get back into SetCPU to take them off. I luckily was able to get into uninstaller quickly before it rebooted and uninstalled the app....Whew! Never installing that again...lol

Thats because you overclocked it to much, I did the same trying to push the limits.

Upvote 0
No idea how you guys can get this kind of battery life.VERY light usage today. This is what I get with mine. Left the house today 100% charged. Even unplugged it and replugged it back in for 20 minutes before I left the house at 7:30am. I was flashing red by the time I drove home at 4pm. Not roaming and very little usage as you can see.

Stock kernel. Nothing eating up CPU as you can see.

Attachments

• snap20101018_164753.jpg
    snap20101018_164753.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 0
No idea how you guys can get this kind of battery life.VERY light usage today. This is what I get with mine. Left the house today 100% charged. Even unplugged it and replugged it back in for 20 minutes before I left the house at 7:30am. I was flashing red by the time I drove home at 4pm. Not roaming and very little usage as you can see.

Stock kernel. Nothing eating up CPU as you can see.

what is your sleep/standby time v awake time, fully charge your phone and and put it into airplane mode overnight and unplug it and you will see what is using your battery if there are any programs running in the background

Upvote 0
Edit: Nevemind, systempanel says I am underclocked at 245, so I guess the long bench being 1700 instead of 5000 doesn't matter?

Thanks for the info. I am having trouble underclocking. I am able to disable the preflock successfully, however when I do a long bench test, I am always around 1700 (both before and after lowering the max to 245 mgz). I rooted with unrevoked, I am running the stock rom and kernels (i haven't flashed anything). Any advice? Underclocking for battery life with this app is one of the main reasons I rooted so any help is appreciated.

If its needed, I am running Android 2.2, kernel 2.6.32.15 and software 3.29.651.5

Upvote 0
"Open SetCPU and give it root permissions as necessary. As a control, go into the Info tab and do the Long Bench a few times. You should get around 1000ms. "

Hello! thank you so much for this walk through! so helpful for a newbie like me haha I was just curious, but what can you do if your long bench test brings back results of 1892ms? and not 1000ms? I read that slower is faster on the screen that showes me mine (1892ms) but just curious if maybe I should change a setting to fix this.

thank you so much again!

Upvote 0
I cant get above 998...

If you are still running the stock kernel you can't mess with the frequencies, due to htc placing the infamous "Perflock" on the kernel. You need to flash a custom kernel to unlock this feature. I'm on my phone or I would link you the roms and kernels download page. It can be found at the top of the forum in the all things root guide thread. :)

Upvote 0
all you can do when you disble perflock is to underclock your phone. if you want higher frequencies then you will need to flash a custom kernel. 998 is the highest the stock kernel can go.

It's been so long since I've been on a stock kernel I forgot you could underclock with the perflock disabled. :)

Thanks man, I was absolutely sure overclocking was not possible.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
ok, my question is will it affect my custom rom (MIKg) v3 and which one is most reliable best pick for 2.6.35.10,

htcdev unlock S=ON
amonRA
MIKg V.3

not sure what you mean by affect. by flashing a custom kernel you might get better performance and better battery life. it will not alter or ruin your rom. it just replaces the stock kernel that comes with rom, with a custom kernel of your choice. i would start with the freedom kernel.

Upvote 0
You do not need to partition your card for the kernels sake. :)

It can be advantageous to have a partitioned card. Some roms use it to put apps on the partition and that can be really helpful sometimes. Especially with larger roms and cards with the speed to support it.

Most likely don't need more than a 1 gig partition. Don't forget to back up your card first, it will be wiped in the process of partitioning.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones