• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting questions/TacoROOT issues

k then am i on the right path this si what iam reading and it says nothing on how to get the the one you or them are talking about. unless iam just understanding wrong . this si what iam reading

Switching Recoveries

speaking of recovery i would really recommend that everyone switch to amon ra 2.3. it is a much better recovery then clockwork mod. you can get the recovery here:PC36IMG RA 2.3.zip
here are the instructions:
1.download the file.
2.rename the file by erasing the "_RA_2.3" part of the name so that it is only named PC36IMG. make sure not to add ".zip" to the name as windows hides extensions.
3.transfer the file to the root (that means not in any folder) of the sd card.
4.power off (you most likely need to uncheck fastboot. settings/apps/uncheck fastboot.) then press and hold power+vol down.
5.hboot should see the file and select yes to update.
6.select no to reboot because we want to go into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
7.select recovery.
8.select backup and restore and select backup
9. select the first three and wimax. the other partitions do not need to be backed up. always keep one nandroid backup with wimax keys backed up on your computer.
10.now you can reboot.
11.using a file manager of some sort or even through your computer via usb, you should rename or delete the PC36IMG file on your card. otherwise you will be asked to update every time you go to the hboot screen. you do not need that file any more.​

and not to go off on a tangent and not to blam any one or any body and please not i dotn because i guess i am the genny pig on this an i am the first one that used the taco root part ot chage the boot loader but i lost every thing and it says that i would not

sorry going off a tangent my bad
The above portion on switching recoveries is what you want.

And no, you're not the guinea pig for the TacoRoot method. I personally tested all of the methods in the 2.3.5 Rooting for Dummies thread, and was able to complete them successfully. And I never lost the data on any of my SD cards, so the rooting procedure wouldn't have done that.

I'm sorry you've been having so many issues with it, but we're all here to help you get back up and running as best we can.

wel it rould back my phone from 2.3.5 to 2.2 way is that if i may ask

and the only thing i was able to save was my music on my card non of my apps or setting or any ting eles

wel it rould back my phone from 2.3.5 to 2.2 way is that if i may ask

and the only thing i was able to save was my music on my card non of my apps or setting or any ting eles
The Apps will be saved in the Play Store, as they're attached to your Google account. As far as Settings, a lot of those are backed up to Google as well, but ROM-specific stuff needs to be re-done post-flash anyway.

Once you get your RA recovery installed, then we can get your device's Android version and firmware back up to date with a custom ROM.

so di di lose my stock rom then sent i di d that back up an ra instail

were do i go from here

what apps and roms an kernal doy ou guys recomen other then liek wifi teather an titainum

Download MikG 3.11 Full wipe version found here:
MikG v3.11 [3/9/2012]

Download the AnthraX kernel found here:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/63060876/EVO 4G/AnthraX-2.6.38.8-REV_zzzTESTzzz009.zip

Download superwipe found here:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/63060876/EVO 4G/ZZZVR_SUPERWIPE.zip

Put all of those files on your SD card
Reboot into recovery
Select backup and leave the first 3 checked to do a nandroid backup
At the completion of that go back to menu and select wipe
Wipe data, system, cache, dalvik cache, SD-ext, SD-android.secure, boot
Go back to the main recovery menu
select install/flash from sd card
select superwipe file and flash it
select MikG and flash it
Your phone will reboot

Reboot back into recovery
wipe dalvik cache & cache and then flash Anthrax and reboot

k evey one i am back hope you all are to

have some more questions and to pick back up were we left off

nwo i havent done any thing my phoen sents

12:08pm yester day after i completed my first back up

i am having issues already for example my wi fi that is built in well nto let me log in ot home network

it heeps connecting an disconnecting

an di have check every thing on my home network router pass ky strenth it is all in norm an same as befor

also turnted every thing off an refreshed it all so is it somthing that son the phoen

ans Rxport what are this file you are recommending to me

Download MikG 3.11 Full wipe version found here:
MikG v3.11 [3/9/2012]

Download the AnthraX kernel found here:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/63060876/EVO%204G/AnthraX-2.6.38.8-REV_zzzTESTzzz009.zip

Download superwipe found here:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/63060876/EVO%204G/ZZZVR_SUPERWIPE.zip

MikG full wipe is your ROM

AnthraX is the kernel

Superwipe is a script that you flash before the other 2 to make sure the phone is clean and you won't have issues with the ROM flash

Capt.

said this in his last post befor i left yeasterday

Once you get your RA recovery installed, then we can get your device's Android version and firmware back up to date with a custom ROM.

what he mean by this

k and so le tme get this straight with romss can you clearify please

been doing lot of reading and hopping i understand it all
and youtube as well.

iso can i personly delet or permently delet a app or frezz it with like titanm ?

if i put a nother rom on my phone and changed over to it and set it up the way i wanted it and made my own perssonal changes with setting and data in it

and get another rom and chage over ot it wel my data and settings change over with it?

and with every rom there has to be a kernal that gose with it ? pacificly designed for that rom?

Capt.

said this in his last post befor i left yeasterday

what he mean by this
I meant that now that you have a custom recovery installed, you can flash an up-to-date ROM (Gingerbread, Android 2.3.5). MikG is the ROM Rxpert suggested, and it's the best choice, and way better than stock.

Once your ROM is up and running, we'll work on getting your radios up-to-date.

So, follow Rxpert's instructions to get MikG loaded on your device, and then we can move forward from there.

k and so le tme get this straight with romss can you clearify please

been doing lot of reading and hopping i understand it all
and youtube as well.

iso can i personly delet or permently delet a app or frezz it with like titanm ?

if i put a nother rom on my phone and changed over to it and set it up the way i wanted it and made my own perssonal changes with setting and data in it

and get another rom and chage over ot it wel my data and settings change over with it?

and with every rom there has to be a kernal that gose with it ? pacificly designed for that rom?
Once you're running a custom, rooted ROM, you can use an app like Titanium Backup to uninstall or freeze apps that you don't want. However you must be careful, as you have to make sure you don't delete apps needed for the ROM to function.

Every ROM includes a kernel. You can use the kernel that comes with the ROM (usually a stock kernel), or flash a custom kernel which is usually tweaked for performance, and offers customization to the user, as well as typically improved battery life. For starters, though, you should probably stick with the stock kernel.
is the xda site a good place to get stuff ?

are there any other places ?
XDA has a lot of information, and is a great site. themikmik is also a great site which I prefer, and then of course there's this site ;).

and why do i have this superuser app now what is it for
The Superuser app manages root access. When you have an app (like Titanium Backup) that requires root access, the Superuser app gives you the ability to grant or deny that access, and can report to you anytime an app requests such access.

is the mike mike site that is giving me the rom a good place

and if ia putting this rom on here well it delet this rom that iam currently on right now

and what happen to my stcok rom tha ti have sent i did every thing up to now so fair and this is my first switch

is the mike mike site that is giving me the rom a good place

and if ia putting this rom on here well it delet this rom that iam currently on right now

and what happen to my stcok rom tha ti have sent i did every thing up to now so fair and this is my first switch
I did mention themikmik as my preferred site ;).

Yes, because you will wipe everything except SD card in recovery prior to flashing the new ROM, everything you have currently will be deleted.

If you want to backup your apps and data, you need to use Titanium Backup on your current ROM. When you flash the new ROM, you can then re-install the apps, and restore the data saved with Titanium for important apps.

If you already did a nandroid backup of your current setup, you can always restore that to get back to where you are now (apps & all) if something doesn't work right with the new ROM.

No. You have to backup that stuff with a program like Titanium Backup. Then you can restore the data after you flash the new ROM. Some settings will get backed up to Google on the new Gingerbread ROMs, and your Contacts are usually also backed up to Google. App-specific information requires a 3rd party program.

k then how well the titan know that is my phone with me wanting my apps and data back if i wip every thing an chang to the new rom and do most of the roms that iam changing over to have the titn or do i have to keep gettin git back as well

and well i have ot keep resetting up my google stuff an my play store every time as well

k then how well the titan know that is my phone with me wanting my apps and data back if i wip every thing an chang to the new rom and do most of the roms that iam changing over to have the titn or do i have to keep gettin git back as well

and well i have ot keep resetting up my google stuff an my play store every time as well
Titanium Backup backs up your Apps & Data to your SD card. When you flash a new ROM, you will have to add in your Google Account, and then the Play Store will show you all of the apps that you've previously downloaded, and you can install them. You can also install Titanium Backup from the Play Store, and then you can restore any app data that you may be missing.

I also use the app SMS Backup+ to save my SMS to GMail, but I believe Titanium Backup can also save that data, if you buy the Pro version key.

also i had a folder that had my saveed contacts in it befor i wiped my cad last time can i put that back on my card
I'm not sure what you mean. How did you save your contacts? If it was with an app, I'm sure you can restore it however you backed them up. There should be no reason you can't copy over information from your sd card backup.

Back
Top Bottom