• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting questions/TacoROOT issues

I was gonna say... OCN is our resident culinary expert you gotta get fancier than that!

:p
hey filets can be fancy if you use a really nice red wine reduction and pair it with a nice quinoa salad in a meyer lemon vinegarette. and a nice fat lobster tail in a rosemary and mushroom butter sauce. damn it that sounds delicious right now:D
Whoa, nice:)...I'm a meat/potatoes kinda guy myself with the occasional burger and sammy.

Escargot? (spelling?) is that fancy enough?:p

yuk!!! snails!!!! crazy french people to even think of eating something like that. gross:puke:

k ia m back so now to my question then sent you said should go ahead an keep the taco stuff that wll not enter fear with the no hboot drivers that i am going ot be usin g

and you guys said to remove the htc sync and to remove the htc bmp usb driver and the htc driver instailer or to remove all three

and you guys said to remove the htc sync and to remove the htc bmp usb driver and the htc driver instailer or to remove all three

ok lets start fresh delete all of the drivers. the go to the wiki and install the unrevoked modified usb driver. follow the directions there then go back to the guide to use unrevoked.

k what ar eyou talking bout this si were iam at and ti twants me to download a new hboot driver i have d/l the file on my desk top an unzipped it thsi new folder i unziped has a name already called androd usb driver

Windows HBOOT driver installation instructions

• Download the unrEVOked modified USB driver and expand it somewhere you will remember.
  • Turn off your phone, then boot it into the HBOOT menu by holding power and volume down.
    • On EVO 4G, you will have to select HBOOT USB at that menu by pressing volume down four times, then power. Wait until the screen flashes through an

k guys i well have ot pic this up to marrow i have to get ready an go to work so i well be back n the moring to finish up finly thanks gain eveyr one for baring with me

agreed and i would take the time and read and read and then read again. before going any further. if you have any questions then please feel free to ask. the hardest part of using unrevoked is getting the driver setup. now all you will have to do is install and run unrevoked. but again read the guide.

k it worked it said done and i have verified that i have s- off in black i do

verified i have clockwork in reccovery and i do ver 2.6.0.1

now what do i do do i move forward to secton after rooting

k it worked it said done and i have verified that i have s- off in black i do

verified i have clockwork in reccovery and i do ver 2.6.0.1

now what do i do do i move forward to secton after rooting

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i would use the rooting for dummies the gingerbread edition and go to the after root section there. i'm away from my computer and do not have the link, but it can be found in the sticky at the top of the root forum.

i would recommend that you switch recoveries to amon ra2.3. in the guide it has instructions on how to do this.

now go and get your flash on:D

k now the confus starts cuz the guides say one thing and the room says another sorry cap but ia m new to this

incase you have not in the room or keeping up

k then am i on the right path this si what iam reading and it says nothing on how to get the the one you or them are talking about. unless iam just understanding wrong . this si what iam reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon
Pffft.

And I bet you cats thought I'd forgotten about you - NEVER gonna happen, compadres! ;)

OK - here's what you need to do to make revolutionary.io happen on a Mac, the free way -

1. Install a virtual machine (VM)
  2. Install Ubuntu inside that machine
  3. Do revolutionary from there
And - we have good friend willy900wonka at XDA to help light the way:

[Guide]Using Revolutionary and Getting Soff on a MAC - xda-developers

Note - that's for the Evo 3D, but so what, there is really only one sky, if you get my meaning.

He has some picture instructions on how to set up the VM linked to -

How to set up Ubuntu Linux on a Mac -- it's easy and free - TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

The pictures are a little out of date - but don't panic - the newer version with the different options - just accept the defaults on the extra setup screens. (Except where given the choice to say Linux/Ubuntu.)

And the VM - although free - is exactly what I'm using on one of my business Macs to run a Red Hat distribution - to be honest, in some ways, I like it better than Parallels (it's like the old Parallels in that it's easier to configure and it just works). Best of all, it's free, and you get it from here -

http://virtualbox.org

And you want to get and use Ubuntu 10.04 (again - instructions are for Ubuntu 9, and wonka said to use 10.10, but 10.04 is the long-term supported version and should do nicely - but I think you'll be able to get the idea). Like any virtual machine setup, you need a CD of an operating system - or just an ISO image of the install CD that VirtualBox can mount as a virtual CD. And you can get that from -

http://www.ubuntu.com/start-download?distro=desktop&bits=32&release=lts

That's for the 32-bit version, I am *pretty sure* that will work just fine.

It's going to look like a lot of fol-de-rol but it's what you expect:

• Set up virtual machine
  • Set up Ubuntu
  • Set up Android sdk to get adb and fastboot (if needed)
  • Trust the revolutionary.io wiki - public:revolutionary [RootWiki]

________________________After Rooting______________________​

Life After Root

ok so you are rooted so now what?

here are some apps that you can now use, now that you are rooted.
  • <LI sizset="256" sizcache06281079291499427="3">if you want to use a kernel:SetCPU for Root Users <LI sizset="257" sizcache06281079291499427="3">use this to backup your apps: Titanium Backup &#9733; root <LI sizset="258" sizcache06281079291499427="3">if you want to run linux commands:Android Terminal Emulator <LI sizset="259" sizcache06281079291499427="3">now you guys can make screen shots:ShootMe (Screen Grabber)
  • this is not an app but it is something that you can use to make sure that you have a clean environment before you flash a rom. it is called vr superwipe:ZZZVR_SUPERWIPE.zip
what about bloatware you ask? well some of the apps are safe to delete. you can go here to see the list:xda-developers - View Single Post - [WIP] /system/app APK's - Safe to remove list and functions now this list is from froyo so some apps are missing from the list. if you are going to delete apps i would use titanium backup and freeze the apps first.

DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER it is very buggy and creates more issues then it is worth. i would do everything manually in recovery. also this is a good way to get to know your recovery. you never know when something happens and all you have is recovery. as long as you have a working recovery you can pretty much get out of any trouble.​

Recoveries

So what is a recovery and why do i need one now that i am rooted? in recovery that is where the magic happens. it is where you will flash roms and make nandroid backups as well as restore them. it is basically a mini os. your phone basically consists of three parts. it consists of android(gingerbread), bootloader(hboot), and finally your recovery os.

roms and flashable .zip files use scripts to tell recovery how to install the file. there are basically two kinds of scripts used. one is amend and the other is edify. most roms and flashable zip files use amend scripting. the problem is that clockwork mod 3 and higher do not support amend scripting. only clockwork mod 2.6, amon ra 2.3 and teamwin's trwp has support for both amend and edify.

Switching Recoveries

speaking of recovery i would really recommend that everyone switch to amon ra 2.3. it is a much better recovery then clockwork mod. you can get the recovery here:PC36IMG RA 2.3.zip
here are the instructions:
1.download the file.
2.rename the file by erasing the "_RA_2.3" part of the name so that it is only named PC36IMG. make sure not to add ".zip" to the name as windows hides extensions.
3.transfer the file to the root (that means not in any folder) of the sd card.
4.power off (you most likely need to uncheck fastboot. settings/apps/uncheck fastboot.) then press and hold power+vol down.
5.hboot should see the file and select yes to update.
6.select no to reboot because we want to go into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
7.select recovery.
8.select backup and restore and select backup
9. select the first three and wimax. the other partitions do not need to be backed up. always keep one nandroid backup with wimax keys backed up on your computer.
10.now you can reboot.
11.using a file manager of some sort or even through your computer via usb, you should rename or delete the PC36IMG file on your card. otherwise you will be asked to update every time you go to the hboot screen. you do not need that file any more.

you can get older versions of clockwork mods and amon ra here:Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire.
also there is a new recovery from teamwin :TeamWin Recovery Project (twrp) v1.0.3

this is what i was reading but got realy confued because it to me th a diff area

and i already have this file frm when i changed my hboot loader or is this a diff one

(WARNING: When you flash the Clockwork Recovery, you will permanently lose the Stock Recovery.)

OPTION 2 - Amon_RA (FLASHABLE)

AMON_RA

I don't have any details yet over Amon_RA, but use the official thread over at XDA for a complete lowdown.
[Recovery] [28-August-2010] RA-evo-v1.8.0 - xda-developers

and not to go off on a tangent and not to blam any one or any body and please not i dotn because i guess i am the genny pig on this an i am the first one that used the taco root part ot chage the boot loader but i lost every thing and it says that i would not

sorry going off a tangent my bad

Back
Top Bottom