• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root S-OFF, root, & Fix Everything All-in-One!

SO I can root my phone without the s-off or should i do it to be safe? Also does the mobster rom have the wifi tether tweak?

SO I can root my phone without the s-off or should i do it to be safe? Also does the mobster rom have the wifi tether tweak?

Yes you can add root to your phone without s-off. You are just a lot more limited. You can only flash stock based roms. No changing firmware. S-off basically gives you the freedom to do anything. Bootloader unlocked will let you flash stock based roms and use root only apps.

Rooting gives you the level of control on a jailbroken iPhone, s-offed gives you the maximum level of control, like if you had the keys to the WHOLE jail! :D:thumbup::cool:
OB

So will I have a problem with rooting if I have a 64 bit windows 7 system?
You may or may not... I've included drivers for Windows 7 64-bit in my zip file, but some people have had success with them where others have not. Your mileage may vary, but it can work. If it doesn't work, nothing will be irrevocably broken. The option I recommend if you're on a 64-bit version of Windows is to download a 32-bit Linux Mint LiveDVD. From there, you can follow S-OFF and not worry about drivers or anything else. Nothing installed to your computer either.

Can i still root my phone even though i have version2.95.652.5 710RD which was the new system update? and can I still root my phone with windows 7 64 bit?
Yes to both. root and S-OFF are entirely different things as the other people have already explained... so why am I replying? Bored, I guess.

Or maybe he should try the Sprint ICS version first. I don't think anyone has tried that yet and he would end up with hboot 1.58.5858 which would be more appropriate for the 2.95 build.

ramjet73
I don't think this is a bad idea at all.

So what do i do? I want to install the mobster HD Rom
You can either obtain S-OFF and install it normally, or enable smartflash in 4EXT to install it that way. S-OFF + normal install is more "pure", and S-OFF results in less potential for roadblocks down the road. Almost any problem short of a hard brick can be fixed in an S-OFF configuration with enough time and patience. Usually, problems can be fixed in minutes or seconds.

I think that ROM will work with the stock hboot so rooting should be enough. I would try that first using one of the guides here and wait to get S-OFF until you want to do something that requires it.

ramjet73
Also advice I agree with, though I strongly recommend S-OFF to people who are even thinking about it, because it makes your phone yours, which implies independence & autonomy.

I just noticed the following statement in your guide that may need to be reworded:
If you have just unboxed your phone, and it is totally stock, or you have just run the RUU, the below steps will work for you.
At least one VM user has reported on XDA that he got a replacement phone that was already updated to the March OTA and hboot 1.58. Since unlimited.io doesn't currently support that configuration, even using Linux, users in that situation will need to follow the guide and don't have the option to do it the "official" way. And it's still not clear to me if a user with the 1.58 hboot should use the Sprint ICS or VM ICS version of the JBear download.

ramjet73

I just noticed the following statement in your guide that may need to be reworded:

At least one VM user has reported on XDA that he got a replacement phone that was already updated to the March OTA and hboot 1.58. Since unlimited.io doesn't currently support that configuration, even using Linux, users in that situation will need to follow the guide and don't have the option to do it the "official" way. And it's still not clear to me if a user with the 1.58 hboot should use the Sprint ICS or VM ICS version of the JBear download.

ramjet73
Thank you, I'll reword it. The one guy who achieved S-OFF on 1.58.0000 never really gave a definitive answer on what method he used to achieve it.

I'm tempted to S-ON my phone and give it a whirl, but I don't want to lose my S-OFF :P

hey im trying to go to fully stock i heard u got to s-off on hboot 1.58/ota 2.95 on this guide on this guide where do i start of first? the Preliminary Steps or go directly to step one which is s-off im running jmz vm shooter odex stock rom and im running hboot 1.58 and my bootloader is unlocked? trhanks

Just to be clear, that was using the Linux version, right?

And did you use the Sprint or VM version of JBear?

ramjet73
Yes, this was performed using the Linux version of the program. The results will be the same for the Windows version.

I used the package in this guide, which is the Virgin Mobile version.

hey im trying to go to fully stock i heard u got to s-off on hboot 1.58/ota 2.95 on this guide on this guide where do i start of first? the Preliminary Steps or go directly to step one which is s-off im running jmz vm shooter odex stock rom and im running hboot 1.58 and my bootloader is unlocked? trhanks
Instructions in the OP are updated, but basically, just start from Step One. Skip the parts that talk about unlocking the bootloader since you don't need to do it again, but please read through the steps anyway, just to make sure you don't miss anything else.

The reason this works is because the JuopunutBear HBOOT is not/cannot be flashed until S-OFF is achieved. In that respect, it makes no difference whether the Virgin Mobile or Sprint versions are used. I don't know whether the HBOOTs contain any information on the CID or not (don't think so), but that would be the only stopping point.

JuopunutBear on an EVO 3D or an EVO V 4G will perform exactly the same. The only difference for the 2 "releases" is the inclusion of a different HBOOT version, which seeks to "incrementally" upgrade your HBOOT from stock (i.e. 1.57.0000 to 1.57.5757 or 1.58.0000 to 1.58.5858). This incremental update is unnecessary for an S-OFF user, because the HBOOT version could be 0.00.0001 or "over 9000" -- if it's built properly to work for the phone, it will work.

JuopunutBear on an EVO 3D or an EVO V 4G will perform exactly the same. The only difference for the 2 "releases" is the inclusion of a different HBOOT version, which seeks to "incrementally" upgrade your HBOOT from stock (i.e. 1.57.0000 to 1.57.5757 or 1.58.0000 to 1.58.5858). This incremental update is unnecessary for an S-OFF user, because the HBOOT version could be 0.00.0001 or "over 9000" -- if it's built properly to work for the phone, it will work.
Did you get the JBear 1.57.5757 hboot after performing the wire trick? One person here still had the 1.58 stock hboot but I don't know which guide he used. He also had problems with his SD card because the JBear process didn't complete.

ramjet73

Yup, HBOOT was downgraded to 1.57.5757 after performing S-OFF. It stayed that way for about 10 seconds -- long enough for me to put 1.50.5050 on there :)

I'm not sure what guide he used either, but I know for a fact (paid close attention this time) that their HBOOT is not flashed until after S-OFF is confirmed by ControlBear. So, in that respect, I don't even understand why they've released 2 different versions of the program for the EVO V 4G and the EVO 3D.

So, in that respect, I don't even understand why they've released 2 different versions of the program for the EVO V 4G and the EVO 3D.
As you already mentioned, the only difference is the hboot, so logically an S-ON VM user that has installed the March OTA should use the Sprint version of JBear which will install the 1.58.5858 hboot, especially if they are planning to use only ICS Sense based ROM's and don't need to downgrade their hboot.

ramjet73

I still think it's a matter of preference. I'm not sure why someone who [only] wants ICS Sense ROMs would perform S-OFF in the first place. Even still, I think I'll be replacing the HBOOT in my release just in case someone who wants to run a stock ICS comes along. One issue was that Harmonia would not run properly (for me) on the 1.58.0000 HBOOT.

Back
Top Bottom