• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SD hack for storage expansion

Here is the result of the test with the hack. Without the hack result less like 0.18 mb/s on write. Well the case is that without the hack result less speed on comparison with the hack applied. :/
OK, your random access numbers don't look too bad. So when you say "lag," what do you mean by it? Is the lag consistent in everything you do or only certain apps/operations? Does it happen in loading (like a long pause between selection and app starting)? In UI events (like scrolling, moving icons, animation, etc.)? I take it that the "lag" goes away when you disable the hack?

Upvote 0
OK, your random access numbers don't look too bad. So when you say "lag," what do you mean by it? Is the lag consistent in everything you do or only certain apps/operations? Does it happen in loading (like a long pause between selection and app starting)? In UI events (like scrolling, moving icons, animation, etc.)? I take it that the "lag" goes away when you disable the hack?

I use a lot the browser so when I want access to a page I scrolling on the page and the lag is there also When I scroll down the status bar frequently the lag is there and there's not when the hack is disabled

Upvote 0
I use a lot the browser so when I want access to a page I scrolling on the page and the lag is there also When I scroll down the status bar frequently the lag is there and there's not when the hack is disabled
I just tried to use an old SanDisk class-4 card to check its random r/w speed. A quick test with A1 shows the real internal memory does roughly 41.7/10.5 MB/s (quick sequential test) and 17.2/0.2 MB/s (random i/o). The class-4 card does roughly 20.0/4.6 MB (quick on "SD card," so fat32 instead of ext4) and 8.7/0.2 MB/s (random). So basically, the class-4 card is roughly half as fast as the internal memory except that the random write performance is about the same (probably because the SanDisk SD microcontroller is good at managing small write requests). In terms of browser scrolling behavior, I don't think the slower class-4 card has a big effect. If there was any delay in saving and retrieving cached files at all during browsing, it was probably only small fractions of a second. Your class-10 card should be faster than the class-4, so it could be something else causing the lag you see.

Partition alignment misalignment could cause extra read/write access like I've mentioned, but the impact on overall system performance shouldn't be too pronounced. I'll do more tests on the class-4 card to see whether that's a significant problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Partition alignment misalignment could cause extra read/write access like I've mentioned, but the impact on overall system performance shouldn't be too pronounced. I'll do more tests on the class-4 card to see whether that's a significant problem.
Looked into this a bit more. While a misaligned partition does show slower performance in a benchmark, the difference is not that big. So it shouldn't be a big issue in real-world usage. Getting partitions aligned is still a good idea though. Reducing write/erase cycles helps extend the lifespan of the SD card.

For more benchmark numbers with other cards, check these threads:
http://androidforums.com/threads/samsung-evo-micro-sd-feel-as-fast-as-internal.890591/
http://androidforums.com/threads/sandisk-32gb-extreme-plus-uhs-1-u3-sd-card-review-test.893742/
Looking at the numbers, I think SanDisk Ultra seems to be a capable card and I don't think the performance of the card is a big concern. But this is just my opinion.

@aangbell I have another thought. Have you changed some performance settings after installing and using the hack, like overclocking, governor, scheduler, etc.? I am not sure about this, but those could be settings that are read and applied before the hack is active, as I mentioned in the usage notes. They might have an effect on performance difference with the hack and without the hack.

Upvote 0
Looked into this a bit more. While a misaligned partition does show slower performance in a benchmark, the difference is not that big. So it shouldn't be a big issue in real-world usage. Getting partitions aligned is still a good idea though. Reducing write/erase cycles helps extend the lifespan of the SD card.

For more benchmark numbers with other cards, check these threads:
http://androidforums.com/threads/samsung-evo-micro-sd-feel-as-fast-as-internal.890591/
http://androidforums.com/threads/sandisk-32gb-extreme-plus-uhs-1-u3-sd-card-review-test.893742/
Looking at the numbers, I think SanDisk Ultra seems to be a capable card and I don't think the performance of the card is a big concern. But this is just my opinion.

@aangbell I have another thought. Have you changed some performance settings after installing and using the hack, like overclocking, governor, scheduler, etc.? I am not sure about this, but those could be settings that are read and applied before the hack is active, as I mentioned in the usage notes. They might have an effect on performance difference with the hack and without the hack.

No I didn't . I note that with a other launcher running (TSF) the lag is less ._. Have yet lag but not much if I have this launcher. It's strange :/ I'm gonna try restoring a backup that I have of a xperion Rom and formating the card.

Upvote 0
No I didn't . I note that with a other launcher running (TSF) the lag is less ._. Have yet lag but not much if I have this launcher. It's strange :/ I'm gonna try restoring a backup that I have of a xperion Rom and formating the card.
Perhaps some remnants of old settings. I plan to try a different benchmark to see whether I can objectively measure the system's responsiveness, if the test doesn't take a lot of time to set up.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
OK, here are some benchmark numbers done with AndroBench. Sorry it took so long. One of my routers died, and dealing with that problem took priority.

Stock rom with its default ext4 and cfq
Internal storage versus Samsung EVO class-10 (orange/white)
Code:
           Internal run 1   run 2    EVO run 1   run 2
- Micro Test in MB/s
Sequential read     48.47   52.54        39.27   39.32
Sequential write    10.38   10.26        18.59   19.1
Random read          8.4     8.64         8.69    8.96
Random write         0.57    0.58         1.07    1.2
- SQL Test in TPS
Insert             148.9   137.83       190.15  294.08
Update             130.44  158.95       212.8   215.17
Delete             143.41  145.57       255.87  253.33
- Macro Test in msec
Browser            152.0   148.0         73.25   83.5
Market             497.25  502.75       252.0   232.75
Camera             531.25  787.5        292.75  250.75
Camcorder         1849.0  1331.0        734.25  547.0
Except for the sequential read, it would appear my Samsung EVO actually performs better than the internal flash memory in this test. I also ran the test using my old SanDisk class-4, but the random write took so long that I aborted the test. I guess AndroBench (using 8 threads in default settings) stresses the card way more than A1 SD Bench, and the class-4 card just can't keep up. Even though the class-4 card can't handle AndroBench, it's normally usable in general, albeit slower. I know synthetic benchmark tests don't necessarily reflect real-world system responsiveness, so interpret the results with that in mind.

The other benchmark I tried to use was StoreBench. It can supposedly measure performance using certain real apps. Unfortunately, getting reliable, meaningful results turned out to be too difficult, probably because it expected particular versions of the apps and its scripts behaved mysteriously with the versions I tried. Oh well.

Upvote 0
Changes:
Apr 17 - updated installer; no functional changes.
Initial - Zips from #505 of original thread

-sensorfix.zip
Installs script to restart/re-enable the sensors (accelerometer, compass, magnetic field, etc.) at every boot automatically. Whether this is needed depends on the rom and/or the SD card. In my test using the stock rom and a Samsung EVO class-10 card, this is not necessary. Use it if your sensors don't work with the hack. If you need kksdfix also, use -sensor-kksdfix.zip instead.

-kksdfix.zip
Installs script to restart the service responsible for managing permissions to the emulated SD in KitKat at every boot automatically. This is only needed for KitKat roms. Whether this is needed depends on the rom. Use as needed. For more technical info, check #505 of original thread. If you need sensorfix also, use -sensor-kksdfix.zip instead.

-sensor-kksdfix.zip
Installs script to apply both sensorfix and kksdfix workarounds.

Attachments

• DataOnSD-sensorfix.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 368
  • DataOnSD-kksdfix.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 342
  • DataOnSD-sensor-kksdfix.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 344
Upvote 0
Changes:
Apr 17 - updated installer; no functional changes.
Initial - Zips from #476 of original thread and #18.

-fsck-ondemand.zip
Attempts to repair the ext4 file system on the SD card. Note that if the errors that cause the partition to be unmountable are serious, there could be data loss.

-wipe-dalvik.zip
Wipes Dalvik cache without removing its folder or recreates the folder removed by recovery's wipe-Dalvik function. See post #18 for more info.

Attachments

• DataOnSD-fsck-ondemand.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 498
  • DataOnSD-wipe-dalvik.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 415
Upvote 0
What would you recommend for backing everything up before starting?
Don't know if healthylaff is still with us, but for anyone new to this, Helium can be used to back up apps, app data, and user data without root. If the device is already rooted, Titanium Backup, which is made for power users, is another option.

Upvote 0
Hello, im on stock rom right now and GT kernel. Im going to factory reset and install GT rom and kernel, my question is after i install rom and kernel should i install all my usual apps i get then do this hack or should i install rom and kernel and right after do the hack then install my apps?

Upvote 0
You need to factory reset and install the ROM, then go ahead and do your setup and then install the hack afterwards. A factory reset will undo the hack
ok cool so first factory reset install rom do setup install apps and install hack. but before i install apps i should do the partiton on sd then install apps then install hack right?

Upvote 0
so guys I hope somebody there can help meI have an lg optimus f6 and I would like to expand the memory but I have a couple questions. on my micro sd card how big are the partitions supposed to be.also I have already rooted this phone and have been using it so I can have a wifi hotspot so with that said it being rooted does that mean that I can skip any stages in this process and could somebody give me a more thorough step by step instructions. I don't know if I have to backup my phone and if I do what is the best way to do soif I could get some help with this I would really appreciate it thanks guys

Upvote 0
so guys I hope somebody there can help meI have an lg optimus f6 and I would like to expand the memory but I have a couple questions. on my micro sd card how big are the partitions supposed to be.also I have already rooted this phone and have been using it so I can have a wifi hotspot so with that said it being rooted does that mean that I can skip any stages in this process and could somebody give me a more thorough step by step instructions. I don't know if I have to backup my phone and if I do what is the best way to do soif I could get some help with this I would really appreciate it thanks guys
The size of each partition is up to you. The 1st/fat32 partition is what Android uses for "external SD" (for photos, media, CWM/TWRP backups, etc.) and the 2nd/ext4 partition is what the hack uses for space (copy of the internal /data plus whatever extra apps you install since using the hack).

Once you're rooted, the next step is to install TWRP. The necessary info should be in the 1st post. Expand the "spoilers" if you need details about a particular step. I don't normally give step-by-step instructions because everyone's phone is in a different state. Read the first post and ask if there's anything specific you don't understand.

As for backup, start by backing up apps and app data in case something goes wrong. Since you're rooted, you can use Titanium Backup. Lots of guides online. Alternatively, Helium Backup is another option that's simpler. Once you've successfully installed TWRP, you can boot into it (but don't use the button combo from a powered off state to enter recovery on this phone) and make full system backups. Once you've made backups, copy files on the SD including the backup files to your computer so that SD card troubles won't destroy your backups. With the ability to restore the system back to a previous state, go ahead and install the hack. Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones