• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint] [OUDHS] Modem backup tool

xInterlopeRx

Android Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2012
Hudspeth County, Texas
Hey guys, IDK about you but I love it when my phone can make phone calls! So, with that in mind (and because mine was messed up) I made this flashable zip that does a couple things we want.

1. It pulls your modem partitions
2. It updates your modem to v.J8
3. It creates a flashable zip you can use to flash your old modem back (called efsbackupflash.zip)

All you have to do is copy it to your sdcard and let it rip. A couple things to consider: The backup writes to internal sd, so if your device is really full it will fail. The zip is big because the modem is big so don't be surprised by that. You can put it on external sd and flash from there. If too many people have a hard time I will rewrite the script to create the backup on external too. The efsbackup.zip is a flashable zip. Nothing need be done to prepare it so it's really easy peazy. The benefit of this is that you can flash the efsbackupflash and this zip back to back for some A/B comparison neurotic compulsion testing if you'd like. I also suggest pulling the backup from the device since it's written to internal, for safer-keeping. Cheers and OUT!

http://www.oudhitsquad.com/android/Samsung/SPH-L300/efsbu7z-victory.zip

After looking at the partitions on g60madman's post, I'd say it's SAFE, but not recommended. The reason is that this will flash the Sprint modem to the device; but, only after backing up the modem and efs partitions. Those partitions are rapped into a flashable zip called efsbackupflash.zip or something like that. It's left on the internal sdcard, so you can find it easily with a file manager. The Sprint modem might work since there doesn't seem to be much partition locking on this device (cross-checking) and the modem seems to have authentication ability on a large number of carriers, so it's kinda generic CDMA. Given what you seem to want to do, you can flash this, then flash the backup before rebooting and the device will never know the difference. You can share the backup with friends and relatives, or even re-gift it at office parties with unloved co-workers...
[OUDHS]

Upvote 0
After looking at the partitions on g60madman's post, I'd say it's SAFE, but not recommended. The reason is that this will flash the Sprint modem to the device; but, only after backing up the modem and efs partitions. Those partitions are rapped into a flashable zip called efsbackupflash.zip or something like that. It's left on the internal sdcard, so you can find it easily with a file manager. The Sprint modem might work since there doesn't seem to be much partition locking on this device (cross-checking) and the modem seems to have authentication ability on a large number of carriers, so it's kinda generic CDMA. Given what you seem to want to do, you can flash this, then flash the backup before rebooting and the device will never know the difference. You can share the backup with friends and relatives, or even re-gift it at office parties with unloved co-workers...
[OUDHS]

I'm attempting to backup the VirginMobile modem, but I've seen a few posts about people having issues with the Sprint modem on VM's Victory, so I don't want to flash the Sprint modem. I've tried opening the zip file, but I get Error...Cannot open archive. I've downloaded it a couple of times, so I'm pretty sure it's not a corrupt download. Could you give me some info on modifying this or building something similar to backup the VM Victory's modem for user's safety? (links are fine, walk-thru awesome!) Thanks!

Upvote 0
I'm attempting to backup the VirginMobile modem, but I've seen a few posts about people having issues with the Sprint modem on VM's Victory, so I don't want to flash the Sprint modem. I've tried opening the zip file, but I get Error...Cannot open archive. I've downloaded it a couple of times, so I'm pretty sure it's not a corrupt download. Could you give me some info on modifying this or building something similar to backup the VM Victory's modem for user's safety? (links are fine, walk-thru awesome!) Thanks!

Hi. Sorry about the bad file. I UL'd a new one. Check it out, see how it's working. You can dd yours out with these commands, replace it in the zip and zip it back up, but that's a bit redundant...anyway, in running android system do this:
[HIGH]abd shell su
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modem of=/mnt/extSdCard/modem.img[/HIGH]

The image should be about 20mb...at least the ICS modem was. I think the JB modem was a little larger...

That'll get you started. Once you've checked it out feel free to ask your questions; here, IRC or Hangouts is all good.

Reactions: JerryScript
Upvote 0
Hi. Sorry about the bad file. I UL'd a new one. Check it out, see how it's working. You can dd yours out with these commands, replace it in the zip and zip it back up, but that's a bit redundant...anyway, in running android system do this:
[HIGH]abd shell su
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modem of=/mnt/extSdCard/modem.img[/HIGH]The image should be about 20mb...at least the ICS modem was. I think the JB modem was a little larger...

That'll get you started. Once you've checked it out feel free to ask your questions; here, IRC or Hangouts is all good.

Thanks, nice to see it was just dd commands. I've backed up the modem, and it's 60mb! Wonder why so much larger, makes me think the VM model has more than one modem available.

Upvote 0
Thanks, nice to see it was just dd commands. I've backed up the modem, and it's 60mb! Wonder why so much larger, makes me think the VM model has more than one modem available.

dd replcates the partition byte per byte, so there are empty (data empty, not size empty) spaces in the image whereas the file we write to the 60mb partition is only data. you can hex the partition down if you have the courage and skill or measure it without the padding using hexdump and grep and other some such hackery.

Upvote 0
dd replcates the partition byte per byte, so there are empty (data empty, not size empty) spaces in the image whereas the file we write to the 60mb partition is only data. you can hex the partition down if you have the courage and skill or measure it without the padding using hexdump and grep and other some such hackery.

I think with the modem, I'll leave it as-is. At least until we can rip it out of an update package.

Thanks again for the help getting it backed up!

Upvote 0
So I copied this to my SD, booted into TWRP, then installed and now my phone is infinitely rebooting and wont go past the Samsung logo. I tried to go back to TWRP to apply the backup it created but it's going straight to the odin downloading thing, and says "Could not do normal boot". I also remember it saying something about couldn't mount /modem or something. smh -_-

Upvote 0
You flashed the stock rom from Odin on a VM phone?

Lol no. See at the time I was playing around with VM Victorious... which (at the time) was only out for the VM. I have a Sprint Victory. I tried to flash Victorious on said Sprint and it failed so... I used TWRP to flash a stock VM recovery, which worked. Then I flashed Victorious over that. Which worked. Etc. I flashed the stock Sprint Rom on my phone after bricking it with the modem backup tool.

Upvote 0
[HIGH]abd shell su
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modem of=/mnt/extSdCard/modem.img[/HIGH]The image should be about 20mb...at least the ICS modem was. I think the JB modem was a little larger...

Got a user in the VirginMobile forum who wants to try to use my backup to restore his modem. I haven't had to mess with modems on any of the phones I've owned, so I'm not experienced with this part. Could you post the proper statement to restore the backup I made using your backup command? I'm assuming it's:
Code:
dd if=/sdcard/modem.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modem
Or should I instead use the commands in your backup-zip file to pull each partition individually instead of by-name, and have the user who needs help use the reverse dd commands? I'm not sure if I got modemst1 or modemst2 via by-name, but I think I did since the file is 60mb.

Upvote 0
Got some help from g60madman and xInterloperx. I've used switched the scripts to use the VirginMobile modem partitions, and pulled the modem from my phone to replace NON-HLOS.bin in the zip file. Waiting for test results from someone on VirginMobile who has modem issues. Thanks for the help, hopefully this will prevent some people from having to return/replace their phones!

Upvote 0
Got a user in the VirginMobile forum who wants to try to use my backup to restore his modem. I haven't had to mess with modems on any of the phones I've owned, so I'm not experienced with this part. Could you post the proper statement to restore the backup I made using your backup command? I'm assuming it's:
Code:
dd if=/sdcard/modem.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modem
Or should I instead use the commands in your backup-zip file to pull each partition individually instead of by-name, and have the user who needs help use the reverse dd commands? I'm not sure if I got modemst1 or modemst2 via by-name, but I think I did since the file is 60mb.

Those partitions are names sbl1 and sbl2 with mmcblk0p1 (by-name/modem) being the actual modem. The reason I pulled sbl1 and sbl2 with the script is that those partitions contain secure data plan information for the USER of thye device. DON'T share that. I shared mine on the LG Optimus G to fix a bricked device and the pother guy started getting my phone calls...When they are flashed back with the modem they came from I have experienced more reliability. Not more reliable than before, like some kind of mod, but as it should be. If you check them out with a hex editor you'll see contract info even. At least it was like than on the LGOG.

Upvote 0
Today I saw that the Sprint official update is called L300VPAMC1 to bump the device to Android 4.1.2 so there might be 3 modems. L300VPALH1 (ICS), L300VPALJ9 (JB leak) and L300VPAMC1 (official 4.1.2). So, this might be why there is some confusion and/or mishaps using the files I provided to restore to JB as they are from the leak. I don't have any files marked as being from the official update. If anyone has the device on MC1 I could use some files from it. Thanks. (Might help with cm-10.1 as they will probably play better with the video libs)

Upvote 0
Just got my new phone today. Tell me how I can help :)

Attachments

• 1375815374098.jpg
    1375815374098.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 214
Upvote 0
Just got my new phone today. Tell me how I can help :)
If you haven't updated it, try using dd to pull everything:

Code:
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modem of=/mnt/extSdCard/modem.img
Do the same with everything listed in by-name

Next, do a full nandroid backup.

Next, do all the updates, and try to grab any firmware packages out of cache before rebooting. If you have a big enough sdcard, just run cp /cache /sdcard/cache (note- you may need to remount, but I doubt it).

Next, do everything above (except copying cache) again after installing the updates. This will give us baseline backups for each firmware version. ;)

PS- You may want to wait for advice from g60madman or xInterloperx, they may have other things they would appreciate you grabbing, or different/better methods for backing things up!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones