• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [STOCK][LINARO 4.9.3] Volt Uno v3.3

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to use Defiant07's swap script, it does not work with the current version (3.2) of the kernel. It was working with 3.1, however.

Last edited:
Just a heads up for anyone wanting to use Defiant07's swap script, it does not work with the current version (3.2) of the kernel. It was working with 3.1, however.

It seems both ZRAM and the Swap support it requires are not working on the latest 3.2 Please fix this.

EDIT: I can also confirm FM radio support is broken with 3.2

Last edited:
It seems both ZRAM and the Swap support it requires are not working on the latest 3.2 Please fix this.

EDIT: I can also confirm FM radio support is broken with 3.2

You do know my kernel source and the toolkit for building this are in the second post of this thread.

You could get what you want working instead of just saying please fix this and submit what you did as a patch. That would help development move along quicker as I'm taking a short break due to some unforseen circumstances.

Zram as it turns out never worked on this kernel. Not my implementation of it anyway. And swap I thought we established worked. (from bg4m3r)

And FM support is most likely kernel modules, which I have being built in my newest work and will be packed as part of an anykernel type zip in the future.

Edit: here's a hint. Everything you seek to do except for the FM support is in the ramdisk. Start there.

Last edited:
When I tried to enable swap with the 3.2 kernel, it just froze up the phone like before. It works on 3.1, but not this one for some reason.

Great job again, @whoshotjr2006! :)
Just wanted to point out that after flashing this kernel on stock, I wasn't able to use FM radio anymore (I tried NextRadio and Spirit FM). I switched back to stock zv5 and my radio worked again. Is there something that needs to be enabled on the kernel?

it seems to have been modules like i thought before. i uploaded a new build to the op that should fix that problem. also, i removed zram for now (look it up guys it actually harms performance and really isnt needed in kitkat+ anymore) and fixed up smartassv2.

Volt Uno Toolkit in post 2 was updated to reflect building modules, and will even zip up the update zip for you now. It relies on the zip package in ubuntu based roms, and the script can easily be adjusted for whichever zip tool on linux you guys use. Would be nice if someone would download it and start learning how to throw out custom kernels for roms so I dont have to.

note: boot.img and modules are inside a zip file now that you need to flash in recovery. i tested it with nextradio and zv5 custom, and fm worked just fine.

You do know my kernel source and the toolkit for building this are in the second post of this thread.

You could get what you want working instead of just saying please fix this and submit what you did as a patch. That would help development move along quicker as I'm taking a short break due to some unforseen circumstances.

Zram as it turns out never worked on this kernel. Not my implementation of it anyway. And swap I thought we established worked. (from bg4m3r)

And FM support is most likely kernel modules, which I have being built in my newest work and will be packed as part of an anykernel type zip in the future.

Edit: here's a hint. Everything you seek to do except for the FM support is in the ramdisk. Start there.

Sorry, I just never had messed around with a android kernel before. I'm just worried I would screw up something.

Just installed 3.3. Ran Antutu before and after. Got 18794 before and 18929 after with same trickster mod settings.

Just installed 3.3. Ran Antutu before and after. Got 18794 before and 18929 after with same trickster mod settings.

Is swap working for you on 3.3? Swap on 3.3 caused a hard reboot when enabled so I downloaded the toolkit and tried poking around but I ended up making things worse. The touchscreen stopped responding, I had to reflash the known working kernel to get touch back.

Is swap working for you on 3.3? Swap on 3.3 caused a hard reboot when enabled so I downloaded the toolkit and tried poking around but I ended up making things worse. The touchscreen stopped responding, I had to reflash the known working kernel to get touch back.
Haven't tried it yet. Might mess with that this weekend.

I'm using intelliplug, what's a good gov/io scheduler for battery/performance. I'm using intellidemand and sioplus at the moment. Phone lags just a hint here and there.

I cannot figure out for the life of me why when I compile using the Toolkit that I never can get the touchscreen working. The touchscreen works fine if I use your precompiled kernel that you posted at the OP or if I use the stock kernel. Any ideas guys?

I cannot figure out for the life of me why when I compile using the Toolkit that I never can get the touchscreen working. The touchscreen works fine if I use your precompiled kernel that you posted at the OP or if I use the stock kernel. Any ideas guys?

Your using my voltuno kernel source in the 2nd post? Which toolchain are you using? What's your os? (Ubuntu, etc)

I had an issue like that a long time ago (months) when I was trying to bring up a caf kernel for the volt. It was a missing firmware file I'm the kernel source, and a line in the defconfig. But if your using my source you shouldn't be having that problem.

Last edited:
I'm having some lag and jitter on v3.3. Using said governor / scheduler and didn't have any issues on v3.2. Any one else having issues.

Your using my voltuno kernel source in the 2nd post? Which toolchain are you using? What's your os? (Ubuntu, etc)

I had an issue like that a long time ago (months) when I was trying to bring up a caf kernel for the volt. It was a missing firmware file I'm the kernel source, and a line in the defconfig. But if your using my source you shouldn't be having that problem.

I downloaded your toolkit here https://github.com/touchpro/VoltUnoToolkit and followed everything in the "instructions" file. After adding back zRam (I want to use it for a Linux chroot) I attempted a compile. I had to modify it a bit because I'm running Arch Linux and there is both python 2 and 3, I just pointed the build to python 2. It appeared to compile correctly but after flashing it booted up and no response from the screen however hardware buttons worked. Oddly enough double tap to wake also worked but any further touch events failed. I tried searching for stuff in the config using "make menuconfig" and enabled any LG Touch drivers to no luck. I spent some hours trying to figure out what had to be enabled but I couldn't find anything, searching online was no help either.

EDIT: I don't even care if I get zRam or a stable Swap anymore lol, I just want to see the damned kernel compile WITH touch support on my computer.

I downloaded your toolkit here https://github.com/touchpro/VoltUnoToolkit and followed everything in the "instructions" file. After adding back zRam (I want to use it for a Linux chroot) I attempted a compile. I had to modify it a bit because I'm running Arch Linux and there is both python 2 and 3, I just pointed the build to python 2. It appeared to compile correctly but after flashing it booted up and no response from the screen however hardware buttons worked. Oddly enough double tap to wake also worked but any further touch events failed. I tried searching for stuff in the config using "make menuconfig" and enabled any LG Touch drivers to no luck. I spent some hours trying to figure out what had to be enabled but I couldn't find anything, searching online was no help either.

EDIT: I don't even care if I get zRam or a stable Swap anymore lol, I just want to see the damned kernel compile WITH touch support on my computer.

All the configs you need for basic operation and my changes are already in voltuno defconfig. You shouldn't have to run make menuconfig to enable other lg touch drivers, its a stock kernel with extras and the defconfig is x5_spr_us_defconfig with additions. Make sure the defconfig you have matches mine and if that works, then add stuff to the kernel and recompile.

I don't use arch but I imagine its not different enough from Ubuntu to make just one thing stop working. Almost sounds like a bad github download, like something got corrupted on your end. I've pulled from my repo multiple times to revert to a working state and never had any issue. Delete your whole download of voltuno repo and try from scratch.

quick question. if i flash this kernel on a cm11 rom will video and everything else work like it does on stock rom?

I'll get around to uploading a boot.IMG for cm11 decaf sometime soon. Still issues with sensors that have me close to abandoning it. Fix one thing, 15 more break.

its a stock kernel with extras and the defconfig is x5_spr_us_defconfig with additions

You mean voltuno_defconfig right? Otherwise I have the wrong configuration and that is the one you linked to in the build script included in the toolkit.

EDIT: I was tired at time of post, didn't fully read your post sorry. I'll attempt a straight compile with no extra modifications today.

Last edited:
I have a couple questions.

1. What's the Fast Charge that everyone is talking about?

2. What's the best option to have selected in NoFrills? I was using performance mode but now I have it set to on demand at minimum 384 and max at 1.54.

Thanks!

Maybe it's something wrong with the resulting zip file? I'm getting this when I flash:

"script succeeded: result was [t]"

EDIT: during build I also get this error
objcopy: '.ihex': No such file

Last edited:
I have a couple questions.

1. What's the Fast Charge that everyone is talking about?

2. What's the best option to have selected in NoFrills? I was using performance mode but now I have it set to on demand at minimum 384 and max at 1.54.

Thanks!
Fast charge is a rapid charging function. I don't know exactly how it works, but it's buggy in this so there no point in using it.

I had been using intellidemand and sioplus, but started having some memory issues and switched back to row from sioplus.

Also, Trickster MOD has more options like temperature controlled throttling and power saving core management.

Fast charge is a rapid charging function. I don't know exactly how it works, but it's buggy in this so there no point in using it.

I had been using intellidemand and sioplus, but started having some memory issues and switched back to row from sioplus.

Also, Trickster MOD has more options like temperature controlled throttling and power saving core management.

Thanks for the reply!

I've been using NoFrills, do you have a suggestion on which would be the best one to use? Would it be the "row" option?

Maybe it's something wrong with the resulting zip file? I'm getting this when I flash:

"script succeeded: result was [t]"

EDIT: during build I also get this error
objcopy: '.ihex': No such file

Both of those are OK. The .ihex line you'll get in kernel building and rom building and is safe to ignore.

You never did say which toolchain you are using. You should have a prebuilt linaro 4.9.3 in the voltuno toolchain folder because the make file of the kernel depends directly on it.

Other than that, its a good question why its not compiling right for you. Anyone else want to compile on Ubuntu and make sure its working there so I can rule out problems in my sources and chalk it up to an operating system issue?

Back
Top Bottom