• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [STOCK][LINARO 4.9.3] Volt Uno v3.3

@whoshotjr2006 I could've sworn you mentioned a GPU/gfx driver app you were using but I can't find the post now. Am I nuts, or could you restate what you are using?

Its Faux simple GPU control. Its an extension of the msm_adreno_tz GPU governor, and can be controlled with either Faux Clock (paid app in play store,) Trickstermod (only in the donate version I think) or Kernel Audiutor under the GPU controls in all three of those apps.

Also for clarification, if you turn off both mpdecision and intelliplug, the kernel falls back to hotplug by default. So by turning off both of those, your actually turning on hotplug.

Btw...I seem to be using less RAM now with this kernel. Don't know if it's just coincidence.

Kind of a double edged sword lol. In Linux free ram is wasted ram, but its not a bad thing to be able to fit more into your available ram.

Also I noticed a problem with faux sound control where right side of headphones has a higher gain when both sides are set the same gain in the app. Not sure if that's my doing, or fauxs doing but I'll look into it.

This all sounds awesome guys! I'm about to nuke everything and start fresh with this kernel but first I have some questions.

1) What are you guys doing to get this awesome battery life? Which rom is the best, stock, odexed, deodexed, or is there another thing?

2) ZRAM, is it enabled by default or do I pass arguments to the module?

3) Anything else I should know?

Btw...I seem to be using less RAM now with this kernel. Don't know if it's just coincidence.

This is a good thing for me, I was having issues with pandora quitting on me when I tried to multitask with just a web browser. I also had issue with running Linux in a chroot with "linux deploy" which I fixed by setting the LMK to all zeros and using swap.

Last edited:
This all sounds awesome guys! I'm about to nuke everything and start fresh with this kernel but first I have some questions.

1) What are you guys doing to get this awesome battery life? Which rom is the best, stock, odexed, deodexed, or is there another thing?

2) ZRAM, is it enabled by default or do I pass arguments to the module?

3) Anything else I should know?
I don't think any of these questions actually have anything to do with the kernel this thread is for.

As for battery life, this phone has incredible battery life out of the box. The efficiency of this kernel seems to be helping it be even better, although fast charge seems to be causing a drain for some reason.

With ROMs, you have a choice of stock (odexed and deodexed), CM12.1, Candy (CM12.1 based), and Omnirom (Android 4.4.4). All have OC to 1.6Ghz now, so it's all a matter of preference. I don't know anything about Omnirom. CM 12.1 may wreck your data, so it might be best to avoid that for now.

With stock, odexed performs better while deodexed is better for customization. If you want to use ART, then you'll need to use odexed. Also, I don't know if this kernel has been tested on ART, or if it even actually supports it.

I can't help with your ZRAM questions, sorry. :(

I don't think any of these questions actually have anything to do with the kernel this thread is for.

As for battery life, this phone has incredible battery life out of the box. The efficiency of this kernel seems to be helping it be even better, although fast charge seems to be causing a drain for some reason.

With ROMs, you have a choice of stock (odexed and deodexed), CM12.1, Candy (CM12.1 based), and Omnirom (Android 4.4.4). All have OC to 1.6Ghz now, so it's all a matter of preference. I don't know anything about Omnirom. CM 12.1 may wreck your data, so it might be best to avoid that for now.

With stock, odexed performs better while deodexed is better for customization. If you want to use ART, then you'll need to use odexed. Also, I don't know if this kernel has been tested on ART, or if it even actually supports it.

I can't help with your ZRAM questions, sorry. :(

When I said rom I meant what rom does this kernel work best with, sorry I should have been more clear.

There seems to be an issue with fast charge. Is causing rapid battery drain, and the phone still thought it was plugged in after unplugging it after charging in my car this morning.

There seems to be an issue with fast charge. Is causing rapid battery drain, and the phone still thought it was plugged in after unplugging it after charging in my car this morning.

I'll look into it. I really didn't want to include fast charge as I don't trust it at all (or my/others implentation of it anyway, I feel better about lg or some entity like that providing it after tons of testing.)

Is it safe to flash this if I don't have a custom ROM? I'm getting a replacement phone from sprint and wondering if I can flash this right away after rooting, or would I have to flash the deoxed or oxed rom first?

Been using quick charge every day since it was implemented. No issues yet.just disabled red ring in settings. No fast discharge, and I'm on the phone all day. I'm on virgin mobile

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-14-19-09-54.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-14-19-09-54.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 114
I'm having odd issues, some apps won't work. My flashify didn't backup my stock kernel, even though I told it to. Does anybody have the stock kernel?
Nevermind. I'm just gonna start over and reflash the stock ROM.

Last edited:
Is it safe to flash this if I don't have a custom ROM? I'm getting a replacement phone from sprint and wondering if I can flash this right away after rooting, or would I have to flash the deoxed or oxed rom first?
This is for stock. You can't use it with a custom ROM.

Anyone having an issue with phone not entering deep sleep when not being used? My phone works perfectly but my wife's on the other hand is chewing through battery and never enters deep sleep. Have the exact same settings (governor, io scheduler, etc.) on both.

Anyone having an issue with phone not entering deep sleep when not being used? My phone works perfectly but my wife's on the other hand is chewing through battery and never enters deep sleep. Have the exact same settings (governor, io scheduler, etc.) on both.
Did she maybe have something else set differently? Is fast charge on?

Fast charge is disabled, every other setting is exactly like mine.

I have a feeling it's one of her apps she has on her phone, but I was trying to rule out anything else before I go through all of them trying to figure out which one it is.

Great job again, @whoshotjr2006! :)
Just wanted to point out that after flashing this kernel on stock, I wasn't able to use FM radio anymore (I tried NextRadio and Spirit FM). I switched back to stock zv5 and my radio worked again. Is there something that needs to be enabled on the kernel?

Back
Top Bottom