• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [STOCK][LINARO 4.9.3] Volt Uno v3.3

Thanks for the reply!

I've been using NoFrills, do you have a suggestion on which would be the best one to use? Would it be the "row" option?
I don't know that row is the best option...it just seems to have cleared up the issue I was having.

Would the issue you were having happen to be constant screen redraws when you go to your home screen from an open app?

What you described there is more indicative of a minfree issue than an io scheduler. If your getting home redraws everytime, that means either minfree is too aggressively killing processes or letting them stay in ram way too long.

Been running this for over a day now and I'm happy to say my phone has stopped having random reboots thus far.
Not sure why I was having that issue with the stock kernel but its stopped now and my phone is faster too.

Thanks.

What you described there is more indicative of a minfree issue than an io scheduler. If your getting home redraws everytime, that means either minfree is too aggressively killing processes or letting them stay in ram way too long.
And what would one do about that?

Not sure if it's related, but I'm having issues where when playing a game, One Finger Death Punch for example, my Pebble app gets shut down and disconnects... Then reconnects... Then disconnects... Ad infinitum... It's really annoying because the watch vibrates every time out disconnects. The game has also freaked out and closed, or switched to the background, while playing.

Ive used version 3.1 and recently updated to 3.3 and ive got to say this kernal has done a lot to fix the issues ive had with my Volt. It runs great and the only issue i have with any sort of crashing is Facebook, but its not common. Other than that, i can run Pandora and not have to fear opening snapchat or another application that would force close Pandora. Keep up the great work.

For those who are experiencing some issues, try deleting the cache. It fixed my battery drain issue.

New build up in op, it says Uno v2, disregard. My bad. Its v1 with ondemand and row set as default.

Also, in the 2nd post, is the Volt Uno Toolkit. Everything you need to build your own custom stock based kernel for the Volt. Check it out if your curious about building a custom kernel for the first time, I tried to document everything the build scripts are doing so anyone that wants to can learn.

Would you happen to have a tutorial or some kind of code I can reference? Thats the hardest part about all of this, is finding how people did what they did. I wanna start a new trend, documenting everything so the next guy/gal on the next device can figure everything out. The android world, for being such an open place, is really pretty closed if your a dev or trying to learn to dev.

Thanks @whoshotjr2006 for the additional info you took the time to put in the toolkit! Really . Wish i could find the same on modding bootloader ,or at least a good place to go
MA

And what would one do about that?

Not sure if it's related, but I'm having issues where when playing a game, One Finger Death Punch for example, my Pebble app gets shut down and disconnects... Then reconnects... Then disconnects... Ad infinitum... It's really annoying because the watch vibrates every time out disconnects. The game has also freaked out and closed, or switched to the background, while playing.

I think you can edit minfree values in ramdisk but i really dont feel like tackling that because everyone has a different setting they think works better, id rather just let you guys use an app to do it and decide for yourselves.

Im pretty sure rom toolbox has a place where you can set all the minfree stuff, and even presets for how agressive or lenient you want it to be. There are other apps dedicated to just setting those values too.

I think you can edit minfree values in ramdisk but i really dont feel like tackling that because everyone has a different setting they think works better, id rather just let you guys use an app to do it and decide for yourselves.

Im pretty sure rom toolbox has a place where you can set all the minfree stuff, and even presets for how agressive or lenient you want it to be. There are other apps dedicated to just setting those values too.
Yeah, I used to have an app that did that. I may have to install it, but I don't know anything about how those settings work or whatever. Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Yes, I know I can go look, and i will, but I want to make sure I'm getting info from a reliable source.

Yeah, I used to have an app that did that. I may have to install it, but I don't know anything about how those settings work or whatever. Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Yes, I know I can go look, and i will, but I want to make sure I'm getting info from a reliable source.

http://m.androidcentral.com/fine-tuning-minfree-settings-improving-androids-multi-tasking

Its a little bit old, but its solid information for explaining what all the settings do. Also, kernel aduitor has a section where you can tweak those settings.

I have a issue with swap, I was hoping to use it with a Linux chroot like I did with the stock kernel but when I enable it my system crashes a few moments later (something that did not happen with swap on stock kernel). Any ideas why this happens? Is it maybe other settings interfering (like cpu governor) or something?

I have a issue with swap, I was hoping to use it with a Linux chroot like I did with the stock kernel but when I enable it my system crashes a few moments later (something that did not happen with swap on stock kernel). Any ideas why this happens? Is it maybe other settings interfering (like cpu governor) or something?
If you read back a few posts you'll see that swap does not work with v3.3. It works with v3.1 however. I don't know what the reason is.

Kudos to the dev on this kernel. Been running it for two days using Device Control (root) go control CPU. Itellidemand as the govenor and intelliplug enabled. On a low usage day battery is usually around 89-91% (13-14hrs on battery). Performance for the most part is buttery smooth, no issues,and no lock-ups.

Not that battery life was a issue with this phone, but this kernel gave my phone the extra ummph it needed. Scratched the itch until the Lollipop roms stabilize.

http://m.androidcentral.com/fine-tuning-minfree-settings-improving-androids-multi-tasking

Its a little bit old, but its solid information for explaining what all the settings do. Also, kernel aduitor has a section where you can tweak those settings.
So I read over that article, and have been playing with minfree settings but it didn't help with my issue. I reverted back to v3.1 and it is working properly now. Don't know if it's just some issue with my phone or what, but this also means I can use swap again, so I'm cool. If there's any logs or whatever you want from me for investigation, let me know.

As far as performance is swap worth it ?
It depends... If you set a high swapiness value, it can be, but this also depends on where you put the swap file and, if you put it on your SD card, the class of your SD card (class 10 is fastest). No matter what, swap will never be as fast as actual RAM, but it can help reduce OOM problems and allow the system to keep more apps active. It should also be noted that using swap with a high swapiness can potentially cause your swap file location to develop bad sectors and fail somewhat sooner, but odds are you'll replace the phone first.

I am using this kernel with the wheatley governor and zen I/O scheduler, and the battery life is amazing!! right now I have 37 hours on battery and still 50% power left. thank you for this kernel.

I finally got the paid version of Trickster MOD so I have access to the minfree controls now. Has anyone found a good setup?

So I read over that article, and have been playing with minfree settings but it didn't help with my issue. I reverted back to v3.1 and it is working properly now. Don't know if it's just some issue with my phone or what, but this also means I can use swap again, so I'm cool. If there's any logs or whatever you want from me for investigation, let me know.

How are you enabling swap? Swap does not work for me on 3.1 version of this kernel.

Back
Top Bottom