• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root T Mobile, AT&T, & MetroPCS LTE fix.

Why does att have better indoor reception than t mobile considering their both gsm? Is it a specific band that is better?

I love t mobile. I feel they are really looking out for their customers with all their recent changes but damn, fix the indoor reception. Something I'm sure everyone struggles with at some point. It's freaking aggravating having to go outside just to use my phone. It used to not be this bad :/

Frequency/Wavelength are a big reason why. The lower the frequency, the farther the distance it can travel before degrading and the better the building penetration is. However, higher frequencies allow faster data speeds. AT&T 2g/hspa is on the 850MHz line and most LTE is on 700 MHz. For T-Mobile, 2g is on 1900 MHz, HSPA is on 1700/2100 or 1900MHz while LTE is on 1700/2100 MHz.

This is why buying a large portion of the 600MHz spectrum next summer is a crucial move for T-Mobile.
It also depends on signal strength, Att has the towers in locations that make the signal clearer, plus how much power is put to the signal, to amp it up.
T mobile towers are spaced too far apart, hopefully this will change, and they usually run the power levels lower, there are both pros and cons to that.

Frequency/Wavelength are a big reason why. The lower the frequency, the farther the distance it can travel before degrading and the better the building penetration is. However, higher frequencies allow faster data speeds. AT&T 2g/hspa is on the 850MHz line and most LTE is on 700 MHz. For T-Mobile, 2g is on 1900 MHz, HSPA is on 1700/2100 or 1900MHz while LTE is on 1700/2100 MHz.

This is why buying a large portion of the 600MHz spectrum next summer is a crucial move for T-Mobile.

So if T-Mobile's HSPA sand LTE are operating on the same frequencywavelength, would the only advantage to using one or the other be the coverage area (which I guess is a function of the number of towers)?

So if T-Mobile's HSPA sand LTE are operating on the same frequencywavelength, would the only advantage to using one or the other be the coverage area (which I guess is a function of the number of towers)?
In most areas, HSPA will not be on the 1700/2100 once LTE has been deployed. It will have been refarmed to the 1900 in order to free up maximum throughput.

In most areas, HSPA will not be on the 1700/2100 once LTE has been deployed. It will have been refarmed to the 1900 in order to free up maximum throughput.
In some markets they do have a spectrum problem but in many they have plenty. When/if they move hspa to 1900 they will actually slow down, as the faster hspa + 42 is achieved by using both bands.

To answer bruce a little clearer, if spectrum is available mind you, The major advantage to LTE is the technology, just think with 10mhz up load and 10mhz download you can get over 70mbs download and over 20 up while with hspa +42 your looking at a absolute, under lab conditions, speed of 42mbs down. and under 4 up.

In some markets they do have a spectrum problem but in many they have plenty. When/if they move hspa to 1900 they will actually slow down, as the faster hspa + 42 is achieved by using both bands.

To answer bruce a little clearer, if spectrum is available mind you, The major advantage to LTE is the technology, just think with 10mhz up load and 10mhz download you can get over 70mbs download and over 20 up while with hspa +42 your looking at a absolute, under lab conditions, speed of 42mbs down. and under 4 up.

OK, that explains what I'm seeing here in L.A. G4 up almost always equals down and is usually 4-5x faster than H+ up. However I've yet to find a real life situation where uploading a file ever comes close to that.

OK, that explains what I'm seeing here in L.A. G4 up almost always equals down and is usually 4-5x faster than H+ up. However I've yet to find a real life situation where uploading a file ever comes close to that.
LTE makes call quality of VoIP apps much better than when using HSPA due to reduced latency and those faster upload speeds.

So, I am thinking about doing this trick. I have a couple questions though, Do I need a 4g sim card (sim card tied to a 4g plan, like the one from my SIII or note II) or would a HSPA+ sim from t-mo work as well?

My radio (baseband) is .48

You will need a lte sim tied to a plan to get AT&T LTE to work, however their AWS LTE is in VERY few markets across the country. So even if you do it right, you may be unlikely to see any LTE. T-Mobile makes no difference in their sim cards, all their plans have LTE, so as long as you use the correct apn, you'll fine from T-Mobile's end. You will have to change you're baseband to .33 or earlier though.

You will need a lte sim tied to a plan to get AT&T LTE to work, however their AWS LTE is in VERY few markets across the country. So even if you do it right, you may be unlikely to see any LTE. T-Mobile makes no difference in their sim cards, all their plans have LTE, so as long as you use the correct apn, you'll fine from T-Mobile's end. You will have to change you're baseband to .33 or earlier though.

Kind of makes me wonder if I should even attempt it then.
I do know on my note 2 I have hit 17mbps down in some areas, though that will not tell me what band it was on.

Also suspect what causes a snafu with the n4 was when I used and at&t 4g sim in it and the speed test did not even work.

I wonder if I should even fool around with things. I wonder if I should have snagged the s4 gpe in the first place.

I suspected I could just swap sim cards but I guess there is a bit more to it then that.

Kind of makes me wonder if I should even attempt it then.
I do know on my note 2 I have hit 17mbps down in some areas, though that will not tell me what band it was on.

Also suspect what causes a snafu with the n4 was when I used and at&t 4g sim in it and the speed test did not even work.

I wonder if I should even fool around with things. I wonder if I should have snagged the s4 gpe in the first place.

I suspected I could just swap sim cards but I guess there is a bit more to it then that.
When your Note 2 is on LTE open the dialer and dial *#0011# it will open service menu with band information.

If it says Band 4 then just switch the sim from the note 2 to the nexus 4 put the apn from the note 2 in, if it does not automatically do it.
If that menu says any other band then 4 it wont work on the nexus.

When your Note 2 is on LTE open the dialer and dial *#0011# it will open service menu with band information.

If it says Band 4 then just switch the sim from the note 2 to the nexus 4 put the apn from the note 2 in, if it does not automatically do it.
If that menu says any other band then 4 it wont work on the nexus.

Band 2
HSDPA1 , HSUPA 1 , HSPA+ 0

:(

EDIT: But I am using a microcell tower since reception sucks in my house. Will try again out on the road.

Band 2
HSDPA1 , HSUPA 1 , HSPA+ 0

:(

EDIT: But I am using a microcell tower since reception sucks in my house. Will try again out on the road.
if it says HSPA+ that is not LTE. And that could be your microcell. The nexus 4 has 5 hspa bands, 2 is one of them.

Your talking about LTE and that is where the nexus is limited to band 4.

Okay, checked again and got band 17 on the note. Looks like I am just going to need to ask at&t for an hspa card and add the device to the family plan.

Frustration is... getting only 3Mb down on G4 in my apartment, then walking 5 min from home and pulling in 35Mb. (sigh)

So a question: after flashing 4.3 (Cataclysm), the LTE enabler and 33/84 hybrid, Phone Info shows LTE/GSM (auto) as the network mode. If I go outside a 4G area, will the network fall back to H/H+ (if available) or always to Edge, since CDMA is not part of the equation?

Frustration is... getting only 3Mb down on G4 in my apartment, then walking 5 min from home and pulling in 35Mb. (sigh)

So a question: after flashing 4.3 (Cataclysm), the LTE enabler and 33/84 hybrid, Phone Info shows LTE/GSM (auto) as the network mode. If I go outside a 4G area, will the network fall back to H/H+ (if available) or always to Edge, since CDMA is not part of the equation?

It will fall back to hspa if it can, or all the way down to edge of that's all there is.

I just got the Nexus 4 and activated it on Metro's network. I'm trying to get 4g LTE on my Nexus but am having trouble with it. I followed the T-Mobile guide but still haven't had any luck with it. It would say that I'm connected, but I won't have any mobile data. Could somebody help me with this?

If you activated it with Metro, you're probably going to need to the appropriate APN settings for your Metro sim card. Unfortunately I don't know them, but maybe someone else who frequents this thread might.

If you activated it with Metro, you're probably going to need to the appropriate APN settings for your Metro sim card. Unfortunately I don't know them, but maybe someone else who frequents this thread might.

Thanks! I really hope someone here can help me out with this.
I think you need to use the fast.t-mobile.com apn.

I am almost positive that metro is using everything tmo.

One thing I would look at, the modem your using? they have .33/84 hybrid modem works very nicely.

What version of android your using? are you doing the build.prop edits?

I think you need to use the fast.t-mobile.com apn.

I am almost positive that metro is using everything tmo.

One thing I would look at, the modem your using? they have .33/84 hybrid modem works very nicely.

What version of android your using? are you doing the build.prop edits?

I'm using cm10.1.2. I did use the .33/.84 hybrid and did do the build.prop edits. It's weird. My phone won't even connect to hspa (like it normally does) after I did everything. =\

Edit: Here are some pics

Screenshot_2013-08-10-09-51-17.png

Screenshot_2013-08-10-09-51-30.png

Screenshot_2013-08-10-09-51-42.png

Screenshot_2013-08-10-09-52-16.png

Screenshot_2013-08-10-09-52-44.png

Any help would be very very appreciated!

Unfortunately, you may have to right click on the images and click open in new tab. For some weird reason, it's not showing the images that I uploaded to my Dropbox.

I don't get any data unless I choose WCDMA. I sometimes get some data when I'm switching to LTE/GSM /WCDMA, and once even got 4g for a few seconds, but it's always fleeting and it my data usually gets cut off. Again, help? Please?

I don't get any data unless I choose WCDMA. I sometimes get some data when I'm switching to LTE/GSM /WCDMA, and once even got 4g for a few seconds, but it's always fleeting and it my data usually gets cut off. Again, help? Please?
Would you want to switch roms, do some testing I recall seeing something that cm 10.1.2 does something different. I do not recall what though.:(

Would you want to switch roms, do some testing I recall seeing something that cm 10.1.2 does something different. I do not recall what though.:(

The thing that I read about it was that you didn't need to use the t-mobile mic fix, since they already incorporated that into the rom. Blah. I'm going to give up on it today. I've been trying all day to get it to work. It seems that I can connect to LTE, but I lose data immediately. Poop.

Back
Top Bottom