• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root T Mobile, AT&T, & MetroPCS LTE fix.

Can't wait for other N4ers to get LTE, looking at you, as well as others, Hawk, working so we can see this sticky really have a significant impact on AF users.

OP,

You might wanna ring T-Mobile (611) after going through all the steps. My Wife's phone was having connectivity issues about three hours after I made the mod on her phone. I called from my phone, BTW, so they could troubleshoot. They had me power down her phone. Then they disconnected her phone from the network, on their end, then reconnected it. Then we tested telephony, MMS and data. Everything was hunky dory and all the mods are still present.

Food for thought.

jmar

Still have to edit my build.prop, but I think that I just had a corrupted radio file downloaded. Risky stuff :/

Anyways, my audio is working, and I'll get the OP updated tonight.

More complications. I can't get the change from wcdma to lte/gsm in the testing menu (*#*#4636#*#*) to stick. Why don't you go ahead and merge our posts? Eventually I'll have my device running properly, and at least I'll have some answers for anybody running into the same problems.

More complications. I can't get the change from wcdma to lte/gsm in the testing menu (*#*#4636#*#*) to stick. Why don't you go ahead and merge our posts? Eventually I'll have my device running properly, and at least I'll have some answers for anybody running into the same problems.
Merge complete. Once you get your device all sorted and have the time, please reorganize the info in the OP. I'm sure users will appreciate it. Again many thanks for getting the ball rolling here. I knew of the mod but wasn't really motivated to do it until your post.

Let me know if you need anything.

jmar

Did you go back to the .48 radio? While on that radio the lte will not stick, part of the update I believe.

I have heard that stock rom with .33 radio will cause no audio in calls, and the kernel you mention is also on that list, the dev will not change it for liability reasons I think, read on xda.

In jacksonville fl no lte yet, I did this mod a last week, found it on xda though on the version I found the line with ro.ril.def.preferred_network=9 rather then . I wonder if it makes a difference.

in mobile networks I see lte/gsm/wcdma. So I know its looking for lte first.

I'm a big fan of pie on PA (I hate the brief moments I ever don't use it). I've seen a couple apps on the play store, but nothing like what I'm used to. I think I've read that it can be installed on other roms? If not, I will have to think about what is more important to me. I'm try aokp tonight.

Also, I'm positive I'm on 33, but it is possible I accidentally flashed 48 instead. Thanks for the info!

I'm a big fan of pie on PA (I hate the brief moments I ever don't use it). I've seen a couple apps on the play store, but nothing like what I'm used to. I think I've read that it can be installed on other roms? If not, I will have to think about what is more important to me. I'm try aokp tonight.

Also, I'm positive I'm on 33, but it is possible I accidentally flashed 48 instead. Thanks for the info!
I was reading about a rom that has pie, and other features that people like from PA but it works with the .33 radio, If I can find it again I will post it.

Did you go back to the .48 radio? While on that radio the lte will not stick, part of the update I believe.

I have heard that stock rom with .33 radio will cause no audio in calls, and the kernel you mention is also on that list, the dev will not change it for liability reasons I think, read on xda.

In jacksonville fl no lte yet, I did this mod a last week, found it on xda though on the version I found the line with ro.ril.def.preferred_network=9 rather then . I wonder if it makes a difference.

in mobile networks I see lte/gsm/wcdma. So I know its looking for lte first.
The line: ro.ril.def.preferred.network=9 is correct. I have this mod confirmed working on my N4 as well as my Wife's N4. We live in San Jose so I can say with great certainty that using an underscore instead of a period in that specific line may yield an undesired outcome. Not sure what it would be but why risk it?

Considering that my contribution to the OP has resulted in successful 4G LTE connectivity, it would be best to stick to the guide in the OP to ensure our users have consistent information. It has proven successful.
DUuVGyg.png

LzggDrf.png

T6RpQF8.png

Thank you.

jmar

Haha nice one. What market are you in? This is the highest speed I've gotten standing just outside my apartment. Ping is only a few ms slower than my home internet, makes me wish I just paid for hotspot service instead.
VKZSnPnZ

I'm in San Jose, CA.

That one bar came on the fringe of the coverage area. When I am getting full bars I get crazy speeds. I posted a pic of 39/12 a few posts before that one.

Wait it out though man. Coverage is bound to get better as T-Mobile continues its build out.

Oh thank goodness! I've tried looking for a fix myself, but I would never have been able to find a fix like that. Dang. Will be added when I can get to my laptop.

I get 25+ Mbps download on HSPA+ but even if I get like 10 Mbps down on LTE, LTE still outperforms HSPA+ 42 cause the 2nd channel for it takes so damn long to kick in.

Hey y'all,

Wanted to share an experience with you related to this hack.

SPOILER ALERT: This hack doesn't play nicely with all N4s!

My wife and I each have N4s. I used this hack to enable 4G LTE for both phones.

I haven't had any problems. My wife's phone did. After a few days or so, her phone would constantly lose signal or bounce from no signal to a bar or two, all day. She was getting horrible battery life from this and it was really starting to annoy her. I even went into T-Mobile and had the SIM swapped for a new one. Same problems.

So today I reverted the hack and put her phone back to normal, though I didn't flash the .48 radio cos I didn't have time before she left for work. So with all radio and APN settings being normal, .33 radios, running AOKP B6 she is back to getting consistent service. Sure, she can't get LTE and I can but at least her phone isn't driving us both up the wall! :D

So if you perform this hack to the T and find that your signal starts going haywire, know that it just might not function with your device. Not all phones are the same.

YMMV,

jmar
EDIT: Wife's phone was defective.

Yeah, when I did tried my hand at getting LTE, it made it so that my device wouldn't connect to towers in areas where it was edge only.

Hey y'all,

Wanted to share an experience with you related to this hack.

SPOILER ALERT: This hack doesn't play nicely with all N4s!

My wife and I each have N4s. I used this hack to enable 4G LTE for both phones.

Good to know. Did you order them at different times, or is one older than the other (and if so, which one)?

Good to know. Did you order them at different times, or is one older than the other (and if so, which one)?
Bought at the same time. Just goes to show that not all hacks play nicely. Weird if you ask me.
EDIT: Wife's phone was defective.

Back
Top Bottom