• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root T Mobile, AT&T, & MetroPCS LTE fix.

Well, I followed all these steps... and well... I followed them.

I don't think they have rolled out LTE in tampa yet...

Has anyone noticed this reduced conectivity on 3G/H?

One think I noticed that after I did this, my icon shows H+ where before I think it was just showing H. Changed the baseband wouldn't change that right?

Or... perhaps it is AOKP or Franco that changed the icon from stock.

BOb

On other question, I restored a nandriod from before doing this, and it seems like the baseband is still .33. Is the basedband flashed somewhere that a nandroid doesn't backup/restore?

Is there a copy of the .48 baseband zip somewhere on the interwebs?

BOb

I a bit concerned about the "there's no antenna"... doesn't running a transceiver without an antenna cause problems?

(Ohh... I look at that list and Tampa was on it.)

Well, I followed all these steps... and well... I followed them.

I don't think they have rolled out LTE in tampa yet...

Has anyone noticed this reduced conectivity on 3G/H?

One think I noticed that after I did this, my icon shows H+ where before I think it was just showing H. Changed the baseband wouldn't change that right?

Or... perhaps it is AOKP or Franco that changed the icon from stock.

BOb

On other question, I restored a nandriod from before doing this, and it seems like the baseband is still .33. Is the basedband flashed somewhere that a nandroid doesn't backup/restore?

Is there a copy of the .48 baseband zip somewhere on the interwebs?

BOb

There is an antenna, though it may be the same antenna that hspa+ uses.

There is No LTE in Florida except for some testing in miami However they intend to go live with lte in miami tampa and orlando by the end of June.
So in a month you should be able to connect to lte in some parts of tampa.

I found less then a 3% speed difference between modem .33 and .48 using lte connected first, however with no lte available so just using hspa+

Its been so long since I used stock android, and at that only for a few hours, I dont recall if they had the H+ icon for hspa+ 42 but on all or most custom roms H icon just means hspa 21 connection. and the H+ means 42 connection. 4g icon means lte connection.

Seems they are testing lte in jacksonville:party:

But I could not connect to it with my nexus 4 Just seen it in network list when I connected the first time it gave me a no network connection error, and after that trying to connect would fail.

Still no Rochester. :mad:

I know it's coming eventually, they purchased the 1700/2100 from Verizon to put it here after all.

So I now get 4G LTE in my house. Super stoked!

Also, if you remember...

My Wife's phone was not working well with this mod so I reverted it. Since then her service had been better but not great, and that was after a SIM card swap. So fast forward to today.

She told me that she had had it with not getting service everywhere I would. So I flashed the .33 radio and did all the other mods. Then I updated her kernel to the latest Franco nightly. And wouldn't you know it...she has a steady 2 bar 4G LTE lock, inside the house!

Needless to say, she is happy and so am I. Prior to today, she hardly got a bar of EDGE inside our place.
EDIT: Wife's phone was defective.

So again, super grateful for this mod!

jmar
hgA8FW5.png

R1222 runs smoother. He has it in dual core while screen on at lower frequencies. It's more fluid and doesn't affect battery any more than his regular nightly builds. R1222 is a test build he posted but I think he's gonna make it an official nightly when he adds input_touch_boost to both cores. It'll be even better when Google starts implementing multithreading for animations, possibly in 4.3.

I hate sounding like a newbie but I'm gonna be honest here. I've never flashed, rooted, or used a ROM on any of my phones. I love the stock android experience, which is why I've always had a phone from the Nexus line.

However, I just ordered a Nexus 4 to replace my GNex and I'm going to want to enable LTE on it when I receive the phone in a couple days.

How hard are these steps to do, for someone who has never flashed, rooted, etc? I've been sitting here reading through the directions and peoples replies... and to be honest it all sounds very confusing :confused:

I hate sounding like a newbie but I'm gonna be honest here. I've never flashed, rooted, or used a ROM on any of my phones. I love the stock android experience, which is why I've always had a phone from the Nexus line.

However, I just ordered a Nexus 4 to replace my GNex and I'm going to want to enable LTE on it when I receive the phone in a couple days.

How hard are these steps to do, for someone who has never flashed, rooted, etc? I've been sitting here reading through the directions and peoples replies... and to be honest it all sounds very confusing :confused:

Overall, I'd rate flashing roms to be fairly easy on this device, while the extra modifications necessary to make LTE work range on the intermediate side. Both can be intimidating through just reading and looking for relevant youtube videos can be quite helpful.

Some toolkits make it relatively painless to get going if you have Windows. Wugs Nexus Toolkit can take care of driver set up, unlocking, and rooting. Once at that point, an app can install a custom recovery that can be used to flash the custom rom and radio/modem file necessary for LTE. After that is installed, you download the rom, gapps, and that radio/modem file to the phone. Once they're finished downloading, boot the device into recovery, factory reset, wipe cache and dalvik cache(options in recovery), and flash the rom, and then gapps. Once that process is finished, you're at the necessary point to follow the tutorial to enable LTE.

Overall, I'd rate flashing roms to be fairly easy on this device, while the extra modifications necessary to make LTE work range on the intermediate side. Both can be intimidating through just reading and looking for relevant youtube videos can be quite helpful.

Some toolkits make it relatively painless to get going if you have Windows. Wugs Nexus Toolkit can take care of driver set up, unlocking, and rooting. Once at that point, an app can install a custom recovery that can be used to flash the custom rom and radio/modem file necessary for LTE. After that is installed, you download the rom, gapps, and that radio/modem file to the phone. Once they're finished downloading, boot the device into recovery, factory reset, wipe cache and dalvik cache(options in recovery), and flash the rom, and then gapps. Once that process is finished, you're at the necessary point to follow the tutorial to enable LTE.

However if you want to use the stock rom, 4.2.1 only needs the dialer menu to change to lte, but you would do it on every boot unless you root it and edit the build.prop.
Or if the phone comes with 4.2.2 already then you would need to put custom recovery on and flash the .33 modem, the older one, and then thanks to some enterprising guys on xda forum you could use the recovery flashable zips to enable lte on stock rom. set your apn and probably need a factory reset to make it all stick.

When I complete all the steps and have LTE working, will I still be running stock android? Or do you need to have some sort of ROM for LTE to work? I'm very new to all of this, and don't really understand what all the different terms mean.

However if you want to use the stock rom, 4.2.1 only needs the dialer menu to change to lte, but you would do it on every boot unless you root it and edit the build.prop.
Or if the phone comes with 4.2.2 already then you would need to put custom recovery on and flash the .33 modem, the older one, and then thanks to some enterprising guys on xda forum you could use the recovery flashable zips to enable lte on stock rom. set your apn and probably need a factory reset to make it all stick.

thanks, this sounds a little more like my range lol. I'm open to rooting, flashing, etc... just have never done it before and some of the terms are confusing.. plus I'm a little nervous about messing the phone up

When I complete all the steps and have LTE working, will I still be running stock android? Or do you need to have some sort of ROM for LTE to work? I'm very new to all of this, and don't really understand what all the different terms mean.

Stock 4.2.2 has LTE disabled to my knowledge. LTE was originally enabled in 4.2.1 and had to be removed because the Nexus 4 wasn't officially certified for LTE with the FCC. One common theme is the need to change the radio/modem file of the phone from the .48 version to the .33 version. Doing so would likely prevent you from receiving OTA updates anyways due to assert fails when trying to apply it. I know you can be on a custom rom to get it to work and that is what most do, but I'm not sure if it will work on the stock rom or not.

Stock 4.2.2 has LTE disabled to my knowledge. LTE was originally enabled in 4.2.1 and had to be removed because the Nexus 4 wasn't officially certified for LTE with the FCC. One common theme is the need to change the radio/modem file of the phone from the .48 version to the .33 version. Doing so would likely prevent you from receiving OTA updates anyways due to assert fails when trying to apply it. I know you can be on a custom rom to get it to work and that is what most do, but I'm not sure if it will work on the stock rom or not.
It will work on stock but rooted 4.2.2, there are a few extra things needed.
However some smart guys from xda have made a lte enabler zip that just needs to be flashed in recovery.

It will work on stock but rooted 4.2.2, there are a few extra things needed.
However some smart guys from xda have made a lte enabler zip that just needs to be flashed in recovery.
Thing I like about that LTE enabler zip: does the build.prop mod for you.
Things I don't like about it: it places the three lines in the build.prop portion of the mod at the end of the build.prop file as opposed to deleting the telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=0 and placing the three necessary lines in its place. It also doesn't mod the APN.

On a side note but definitely relevant one, got my Wife's N4 replaced. Defective model is what all the connectivity issues were, LTE or not, unlocked, rooted and ROM'd or not. I haven't modded her phone yet (AOKP w/ LTE) but I will. As for now, she is getting standard HSPA and HSPA+ as she should be. Happy Wife = Happy Life.

Thing I like about that LTE enabler zip: does the build.prop mod for you.
Things I don't like about it: it places the three lines in the build.prop portion of the mod at the end of the build.prop file as opposed to deleting the telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=0 and placing the three necessary lines in its place. It also doesn't mod the APN.

On a side note but definitely relevant one, got my Wife's N4 replaced. Defective model is what all the connectivity issues were, LTE or not, unlocked, rooted and ROM'd or not. I haven't modded her phone yet (AOKP w/ LTE) but I will. As for now, she is getting standard HSPA and HSPA+ as she should be. Happy Wife = Happy Life.

That's why I like doing mods myself manually instead of zips

That's why I like doing mods myself manually instead of zips
Me too. I tried it out on a fresh flash just to see what was what and post my thoughts. Just like with a lot of things in the root scene, manual processes tend to be the best way to get things done.

Back
Top Bottom