• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root T Mobile, AT&T, & MetroPCS LTE fix.

Hey y'all,

Wanted to share an experience with you related to this hack.

SPOILER ALERT: This hack doesn't play nicely with all N4s!

My wife and I each have N4s. I used this hack to enable 4G LTE for both phones.

I haven't had any problems. My wife's phone did. After a few days or so, her phone would constantly lose signal or bounce from no signal to a bar or two, all day. She was getting horrible battery life from this and it was really starting to annoy her. I even went into T-Mobile and had the SIM swapped for a new one. Same problems.

So today I reverted the hack and put her phone back to normal, though I didn't flash the .48 radio cos I didn't have time before she left for work. So with all radio and APN settings being normal, .33 radios, running AOKP B6 she is back to getting consistent service. Sure, she can't get LTE and I can but at least her phone isn't driving us both up the wall! :D

So if you perform this hack to the T and find that your signal starts going haywire, know that it just might not function with your device. Not all phones are the same.

YMMV,

jmar
Update

So if you read all of the above quoted text you are familiar with my story.

So my Wife's phone, after all of the above quoted text had been done, was still giving us problems.

So I flashed the .48 radios. Now all seems right. She hasn't lost service once, especially in places it always did. I'll update if anything changes. So I recommend a reflash of the .48 radios in attempting to fully revert from LTE steps.

YMMV

jmar
EDIT: Wife's phone was defective.

Perhaps it was not the hack that was the problem but the radio? or just a bad flash of the radio?
did you try reflashing or using the .27 radio?
might give it a try.
who knows maybe she will get lte after all.

Perhaps it was not the hack that was the problem but the radio? or just a bad flash of the radio?
did you try reflashing or using the .27 radio?
might give it a try.
who knows maybe she will get lte after all.
I know. :rolleyes: I've been utterly stumped by all this. :confused: Bought and activated the same day, hack applied on the same day. My phone has been stellar and she's had nothing but problems since.

Because she isn't pining for LTE the way I was, as long as she gets service and HSPA+ she will be delighted. A happy Wife is a happy life.
EDIT: Wife's phone was defective.

im in the last 2 steps where i have to go to network mode but what exactly u mean by that? is it the dialing part or where? lol aslo i have the international version

Where lol

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367359165750.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367359165750.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 164
ohh i see lol but are you on tmobile? because i get no audio and i cant seem to find the numbers that they talk about on the fix at xda

ohh i see lol but are you on tmobile? because i get no audio and i cant seem to find the numbers that they talk about on the fix at xda
Did you flash the .33 baseband zip in recovery?

So on the about phone page the baseband version should end with .33
Stock on android 4.2.2 ends with .48.
if your running stock 4.2.2 on t mobile you will lose your in call audio unless you use the fix for it that can be found
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=40715563&postcount=620

Did you flash the .33 baseband zip in recovery?

So on the about phone page the baseband version should end with .33
Stock on android 4.2.2 ends with .48.
if your running stock 4.2.2 on t mobile you will lose your in call audio unless you use the fix for it that can be found
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=40715563&postcount=620

Yeah that's the fix I was talking about but it says something bout changing kind of a build prop on etc folder but I can't seem to find those numbers

Yeah that's the fix I was talking about but it says something bout changing kind of a build prop on etc folder but I can't seem to find those numbers
From the first post of this thread.

Second Step : Edit the build.prop
1) Using a file explorer that exploits root access, navigate to the /system/ folder (not /sys/).
a) If you see an option saying "Mount R/W", click it. If it says "Mount R/O", then you do not need to click it.
2) Long press the file "build.prop" and select an option to open it in a text editor.
3) Scroll to the second half of the file. About two thirds down the second half, there will be a line that reads: view plaincopy to clipboardprint?

1. telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=0

You will want to edit this line and add two lines directly below it to read: view plaincopy to clipboardprint?

1. telephony.lteOnGsmDevice=1
  2. ro.telephony.default_network=9
  3. ro.ril.def.preferred.network=9

4)
Through the menu, click the save option (do keep in mind that when you edit the build.prop, a backup is automatically created named build.prop.bak).
5) Back out of the text editor and file explorer.

You can do this using the phone keyboard, But you need to be rooted and have a file explorer that can edit system files.

I use root explorer but its a paid app. es file explorer in the playstore can do it but its more complicated.

You can do this using the phone keyboard, But you need to be rooted and have a file explorer that can edit system files.

I use root explorer but its a paid app. es file explorer in the playstore can do it but its more complicated.
This is why I've owned Root Explorer since August 2010. It is worth the investment...'It, really, just works.'

so, when i get an update for the PA roms, will i have to go through all of the flashing steps again in order to maintain 4G? or can i just flash the update and not worry about flashing the radio and then changing the build.prop nd audio hack :D:confused:

also, side note, for t-mobile users... use the 920 reader to edit the file for the audio hack, it numbers the lines for you so its A LOT easier to find the correct numbers to change. -- also, make sure to copypasta to a folder on your internal sd card so that when you save the changes.. it saves, then just rename the original and paste the new one. reboot. it will work great.

so, when i get an update for the PA roms, will i have to go through all of the flashing steps again in order to maintain 4G? or can i just flash the update and not worry about flashing the radio and then changing the build.prop nd audio hack :D:confused:

also, side note, for t-mobile users... use the 920 reader to edit the file for the audio hack, it numbers the lines for you so its A LOT easier to find the correct numbers to change. -- also, make sure to copypasta to a folder on your internal sd card so that when you save the changes.. it saves, then just rename the original and paste the new one. reboot. it will work great.
If you do a clean flash then yes you will have to redo the hack. I rarely dirty flash so I couldn't tell you if it would persist through a dirty flash.

I already did that part , what I'm talking bout is the fix for the audio and mic ... There's some lines with numbers I can't find ?

I a bit concerned about the "there's no antenna"... doesn't running a transceiver without an antenna cause problems?

(Ohh... I look at that list and Tampa was on it.)

I a bit concerned about the "there's no antenna"... doesn't running a transceiver without an antenna cause problems?

(Ohh... I look at that list and Tampa was on it.)
I thought about that too but everything seems to work on my end. :D

Back
Top Bottom