• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The "Fix everything by turning your phone into an Evo 3d" thread

The point of this thread is to "fix" the Evo V 4g. With the ICS firmware provided on the stock Evo V 4G there is an infamous radio error that stops calls and texts from coming in or going out. If you flash the PRI and Radio as well as the PRL (Optional) in this thread the phone not only stops having the radio error, but also gets better signal. A classic example of newer is not always better. Especially when newer makes the phone unusable.

On a side note, I flashed Hormonia and was successfully able to get the 60690 PRL installed. For clarification, you can NOT flash the PRL on Mobster ROM.

So, thread needs to be corrected. It should read "Fix Radio By Going To GB firmware".

Upvote 0
Ugh...

Stuck in bootloop, automatically reads hboot. HOW DO I GET OUT OF THIS?! I can't remove the file from the sd card because my PC will not recognize the device and wont mount the sdcard...

What do I do?

This guide isn't exactly user friendly. Was just trying to fix the radio interface shortage errors, posters made it seem so damn easy, and now I have a completely useless device stuck in bootloop. A specific ROM should be included in prerequisites.

Upvote 0
Ugh...

Stuck in bootloop, automatically reads hboot. HOW DO I GET OUT OF THIS?! I can't remove the file from the sd card because my PC will not recognize the device and wont mount the sdcard...

What do I do?

This guide isn't exactly user friendly. Was just trying to fix the radio interface shortage errors, posters made it seem so damn easy, and now I have a completely useless device stuck in bootloop. A specific ROM should be included in prerequisites.

i had the same problem, I had to flash to a different rom completly to get out of the boot loop

I had to pull the battery and pull the sd card, stick the sd card in my compture then hide/delet the zip, put it back in phone, then you get out of the hboot bootloop, from that point flash a rom and my phone worked since then

Reactions: ultraspontane
Upvote 0
There isn't really GB or ICS firmware, some roms require certain Hboots but many are universal, especially being backwards compatible. There is no benefit from one Hboot to another, EXCEPT for the ENG Hboot which has extra diagnostics. Yes, some roms need newer, but that is only because the dev chose to make it that way (or didn't tweak it). The ENG Hboot is only needed to make flashing radios easier. It is NOT required once done, you can easily swap to a different Hboot after you find a radio/PRI combo that works for you.

Radios, and PRI, which is the meat and potatoes here, are universal (as is PRL), they are not ICS or GB, they are simply radios.

You are all making way too big a deal about new vs old on things you know little to nothing about. New and shiny isn't always better, just ask the Sprint users who flashed the Virgin rom when it came out.

Upvote 0
Ugh...

What do I do?

For anyone else having this problem:

How I fixed it:

I could not break the bootloop by wiping partitions and restoring from backup. I had to delete the hboot zip from the sd card via a microsdhc adapter for my PC, I purchased (the one time I was happy that I lived close to a walmart), delete the stock odex rom and replace it with Midnight rom (found on this board) then go into recovery and flash Midnight Rom. Then I was able to fully boot and complete the radio, and PRL fixes.

My very first try at rooting/flashing ANY device. I pulled my hair out a few times, I think being more specific to the point of redundancy would better serve the less tech savvy among us (me).

Thanks.

Upvote 0
4g is a separate radio.
This only makes the phone work better, not worse.

Do I "have" to Root, S-Off, and run a custom ROM, or can I just S-Off and flash new radio?

Or maybe a better questions is.....

What are the necessary Steps to just update the radio?
I do see all the instructions for many different things, just unsure of the order they need to be performed.

Upvote 0
How do you tell what radio you have? how do you tell if you have been successful in flashing? My PRI is 1.53_144, PRL is 60690. Yesterday afternoon got the radio interference error so can someone help me to fix this? Also when I got this error it kept coming up and just had to reboot my phone to clear it, I was at work in one of the computer labs when it happened. I was under the impression this series of mods would help keep this from happening.

Upvote 0
Do I "have" to Root, S-Off, and run a custom ROM, or can I just S-Off and flash new radio?

Or maybe a better questions is.....

What are the necessary Steps to just update the radio?
I do see all the instructions for many different things, just unsure of the order they need to be performed.

In order to be S-Off, you need to be rooted. No root, no s-off.

How do you tell what radio you have? how do you tell if you have been successful in flashing? My PRI is 1.53_144, PRL is 60690. Yesterday afternoon got the radio interference error so can someone help me to fix this? Also when I got this error it kept coming up and just had to reboot my phone to clear it, I was at work in one of the computer labs when it happened. I was under the impression this series of mods would help keep this from happening.

The bootloader should tell you which radio you have.

So to answer more2read's question, here's what I did with mine. I did not bother with any rom flashing. I only flashed the bootloader, s-off, radio, pri.

The following steps are for those who do not wish to flash to another ROM. Use them at your own risk.

1. Root - you might as well root. Note, you WILL lose all your data. I am not sure how to back up your data without root. So be warned. Follow the root guide (see link in OP's post).
  2. S-off you need to root in order to achieve s-off. Without S-off, you can't update the radio. So root and s-off are must. Don't get intimidated by these two steps. The biggest problem I have was downloading all the software. Once you have the software setup, it's more or less follow the instructions. Follow the s-off guide (see link in OP's post)
  3. Once you achieve step 1 and step 2 above. Download the hboot, radio, pri recommended by OP.
  4. To avoid bootloop , find hboot version 1.57 above. Someone posted a link within this thread before, so search within this thread. If you can't find it, pm me, I'll give you the one I have. You should have hboot version 1.57+, hboot by op, radio, pri: 4 files.
  5. goto bootloader, flash hboot provided by op. If you attempt to boot back into home screen, you'll encounter bootloop. If you do, just pull the battery and get back into bootloader.
  6. reboot back into bootloader. If you see your hboot loader version 1.04, you have accomplished step 5. Now flashed pri.
  7. reboot bootloader, now flash radio.
  8. reboot back into bootloader. If you see your radio at version .97..., then you have done well.
  9. Now flash hboot version 1.57+ that you got in step 4. flash this hboot. This will get you out of bootloop.
  10. reboot all the way back into home screen. Goto setting->about phone-> software info->more. Your pri should read1.53_145.
Basically, you need op's hboot to flash radio and pri. Then you need the original or v 1.57 above bootloader to get out of bootloop (if you are on stock).

I didn't bother with prl update.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the info, my radio is 1.06.00.0426 and hboot is 1.57, just repeat the steps and see if that will work?

I would try the following :

1. back up your hboot (you need to flash this back later). OR find a 1.57 hboot
  2. flash op's hboot (1.04, I believE)
  3. flash the pri, radio.
  4. get back to bootloader, check your radio version. If it's still 1.06, try step 3 again. If not, try below.
BTW, if the above doesn't work on radio, you might want to try the following extra steps (more, but worked on a friend's phone).

1. flash op's hboot
  2. flash pri
  3. flash 1.57 hboot
  4. boot into home screen. make sure pri is update to 1.53_145. Test send some text, make a few calls.
  5. flash op's hboot.
  6. flash radio
  7. get back into hboot to make sure radio is OP's version (.97)
  8. IF radio is .97, flash 1.57 hboot. reboot back into Home screen.
  9. enjoy the new radio and pri.
My friend's phone, for some reason just couldn't flash the radio until step 4 (boot back into home screen, text). My guess is the cache, but I never wipe my cache or reset anything. He didn't either.

Upvote 0
Root - you might as well root. Note, you WILL lose all your data.
Can I use something like Titanium Backup to back up Apps and Data prior to to rooting?
The "root" instructions talk about downloading a Stock ROM and Flashing - is that necessary?
Can I just copy Camera Pics from the SD card and copy back after the process?
Also, is there a Nandroid Backup in the stock bootloader - just to be safe.

Upvote 0
Can I use something like Titanium Backup to back up Apps and Data prior to to rooting?
The "root" instructions talk about downloading a Stock ROM and Flashing - is that necessary?

I think Titanium backup requires root.

In the complete newbie guide, read post #2 (instead of post #1). Expand Step 1, expand item 3, it shows 2 options, one is the stock rom. If you don't want to flash any rom, use the superuser patch (what I used).

You can copy the camera pics from sd card and back.

Not sure about nandroid backup as I didn't know better. I only found out unlocking bootloader/flashing new bootloader wipe everything. I didn't think it would do that. Oh well...

Upvote 0

Titanium Backup requires root. You won't be able to backup the apps you currently have if you aren't rooted. On one of the first rooting steps it will have you use htcdev.com to unlock your bootloader. Doing this will force you to wipe your data partition. Your sdcard will remain intact, that includes your pictures and pretty much every thing you've downloaded. After this, you can flash a custom recovery which will allow you to make a nandroid backup. Nandroid backups cannot be created nor restored from stock recovery. Take a look at this guide to get started. I know the first NOTE in red says you will loose data to make back backups before you proceed, but this means make a backup of your sdcard since you can't backup anything else. You do not have to flash a custom rom just to root. In order to just root your stock phone, follow that guide till step 7. Download Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip and save it to the root directory of your sdcard. Don't wipe, just boot into recovery, choose flash zip from sdcard, choose the zip you saved. This will install the Superuser binary and app to your phone. Reboot. Once booted, download a root checker to verify success.

Upvote 0
Hey I have been a lurker for quite some time and this is the first thing that has helped me to the point I needed to post. I live in pretty much live in a dead zone 0-1 bars at all times. It just wasn't cutting it and half the time I wouldn't receive texts calls or anything Data related. I recently had the fun of getting rooted and s-offed (Consumed a full day) I can say I got home from work flew threw this in about 30 minutes with all the constructive post on this thread and the great guide, you have givin my phone new life I now get a constant bar and I can count on it. anyone who is skeptical I strongly urge you to take the chance, as far as I can tell you took much larger ones to get to this point.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones