• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The "Fix everything by turning your phone into an Evo 3d" thread

all i see is letters and number idk wtf im looking for. go more in depth like you are talking to a mildly ******ed child trying to learn long division for the first time.

Simply put, mildly ******ed children should not be attempting radio fixes and firmware updates. You either know what you're doing or you don't do it at all.

Way to be a dick

No. I'm just being realistic.

I had never done radio firmware flashing before until I had followed the steps here when doing the updates to my phone. The instructions are exactly what they need to be. If you feel like the instructions need to be dumbed down even further for your benefit... then you should not be attempting to do any of the stuff mentioned in this thread, period.

If these instructions are too complicated for you, you're too inexperienced and unknowledgeable to even be trying what is asked of you. Full stop.

I have a Sprint Evo 3d. Will installing the new PRL break anything as this guide is for the Virgin Evo 5? Should I avoid the PRL in my instance and just upgrade hboot, radio, and pri. Thanks just wanted to have this clarified. I don't want to lose some of my Sprint towers. Also what real benefit am I getting from from a PRL upgrade? Is it just in essence a list of cellular towers for your phone to interact with.

Thanks for you guys time!
because you have sprint service i believe you get more towers out of your own prl, as for the radios i would check xda and follow their guides, as flashing some of this stuff might break your ability to call or use the internet. unless what you are trying to do is what i did to mine and are trying to use virgin mobile service on a sprint evo 3d, then ask no more questions, because no answers will be given on this forum as it breaks the rules.

i personally recommend odex but people seem to have success with harmonia 2

I'll wait until I receive the 32GB chip and make a back up before tinker with my phone again. I am using harmonia 3.16, and if I do not have to swap the rom and start fresh yet again I would prefer that. However if the success of the s-off procedure hinges on that, then I will do so.

yeah.. flashing is the same process.... i would recommend deodex as this will come in handy if you ever want to change or theme an apk.... odexed is built for speed but its really not much of a diff so you might as well go deodexed for the extra themeing capabilities... if you want to go completely stock (no root)... try flashing the ruu... but its a long and painfull process
I think I will save the RUU for the day I decide to sell the phone (though I might end up keeping this one for the 3D camera, heh).

Thank you again for your responses to my questions, you were very helpful.

I have everything more or less worked out. Just trying to decide which ROM to use. I like some of each. I know how to take apks from one ROM and add them to another I like, but wish I knew how to do more. I would like to take the boot animation from one, some apks and the camera from another, and either run that with the stock rooted file or another ROM. (I did find the boot animation files actually, but they were in different places in each ROM and I have no idea how to get them to load in one they didn't come with.)

So here's a question....when attempting S-Off....Does the recovery you're using have anything to do with success rate/failure rate?

If so...

Which recovery is best to use? I'm going to get this done today.

Ok I just got my HTC EVO V like 2 days ago and I already have this so called interface error and even sms errors ...

Now .. I'm reading this fix and it's sooooooo confusing. I don't know what all these PRLs S-OFFS things are. I'm completely phone illiterate. Can someone please dumb it down and give me an easier way to fix this problem. :(

So here's a question....when attempting S-Off....Does the recovery you're using have anything to do with success rate/failure rate?

If so...

Which recovery is best to use? I'm going to get this done today.
the recovery shouldnt effect s-off at all but i do recommend 4ext

the recovery shouldnt effect s-off at all but i do recommend 4ext

Awesome, awesome.

One more question. I know Harmonia/Midnight are recommended for flashing the Hboot and whatnot...But what about S-Off? Is stock rom best for that, you think?

Awesome, awesome.

One more question. I know Harmonia/Midnight are recommended for flashing the Hboot and whatnot...But what about S-Off? Is stock rom best for that, you think?

I used the stock rom for s-off... but people are saying that s-off works with harmonia too... unlimited.io says to use stock...

Ok I just got my HTC EVO V like 2 days ago and I already have this so called interface error and even sms errors ...

Now .. I'm reading this fix and it's sooooooo confusing. I don't know what all these PRLs S-OFFS things are. I'm completely phone illiterate. Can someone please dumb it down and give me an easier way to fix this problem. :(
there really isn't a way to make this process any easier... if you can't understand this stuff, you prob shouldn't risk bricking (messing up) your phone... the only temp fix you can do is to update profile from the system settings on your phone

I used the stock rom for s-off... but people are saying that s-off works with harmonia too... unlimited.io says to use stock...

That's probably why I failed. I wasn't on stock originally, but midnight. So let's see how it goes now that I am stock.

yea but that doesnt fix anything. :(
well, before i got s-off, i went to the virgin mobile facebook page and i spent some time complaining... i also complained to their email support (be sure to include your phone number so they know who you are)... after that... i didn't get the error for a few weeks...

If these instructions are too complicated for you, you're too inexperienced and unknowledgeable to even be trying what is asked of you. Full stop.

Unfortunately this is true.
You can only dumb it down so much before you have to admit you will do more harm than good. While this is really easy, and low risk, it does have the ability to really destroy a phone.

I think a lot of people are either just not understanding what they are reading, or are over thinking it. I'm tempted to just yank the PRL section as that seems to be the biggest problem, even if it;s optional, many seem to think it's required.

In reality, it's the most difficult part and gives most people the least benefit.

It shouldn't have any effect.
Same with "Fix Everything", nothing is done in recovery. Only the rom matters.

Follow the requirements.
It says you need s-off, so you will need the S-off thread.
To do S-Off you need to be root, so start there. By the time you get done with root and s-off, you will have a better idea of what you are doing here.

Harmonia works.
Not sure about Midnight for doing S-off, I have heard it will and it won't it might depends on the version.
Mobsters is a no-go for s-off and this.

That's probably why I failed. I wasn't on stock originally, but midnight. So let's see how it goes now that I am stock.
It's starting to sound like newer versions of Midnight no longer work for this. probably due to the kernel requiring a newer Hboot.

I'm looking into it.

Update...
Anthrax has been optimized for newer Hboots, which could be creating some issues.

So basically, if you want to do this, you should probably just use Harmonia. If you want to go back to anything with a newer Anthrax kernel, you should go to a newer Hboot after you finish this guide.

So, I spent over an hour attempting this today. I'm using a coaxial cable that I stripped slightly, so it can reach the inner contact. Obviously, it reaches the SD Card contact without an issue. I tap, wait for approximately 1.5 seconds, and release, and repeat.

Nothing. Still sober.

I think S-Off and I just aren't meant to be.

So, I spent over an hour attempting this today. I'm using a coaxial cable that I stripped slightly, so it can reach the inner contact. Obviously, it reaches the SD Card contact without an issue. I tap, wait for approximately 1.5 seconds, and release, and repeat.

Nothing. Still sober.

I think S-Off and I just aren't meant to be.
dont give up.. keep trying.. it takes long for some people... you have gone this far.. just keep going

Well, if 4EXT will allow me to flash ROM's without using fastboot to flash a boot.img, I think I'll be okay. I'm gonna try again, possibly another day. I tried with Midnight, and jmz's stock ROM. Next I'll try with Harmonia, and we'll see.

I'll watch a few videos. See if I can match their timing. I'm sure there HAS to be a video on this on youtube...

Too bad revolutionary doesn't work with this! It would be too easy that way. XD

Well, if 4EXT will allow me to flash ROM's without using fastboot to flash a boot.img, I think I'll be okay. I'm gonna try again, possibly another day. I tried with Midnight, and jmz's stock ROM. Next I'll try with Harmonia, and we'll see.

I'll watch a few videos. See if I can match their timing. I'm sure there HAS to be a video on this on youtube...

Too bad revolutionary doesn't work with this! It would be too easy that way. XD
there are a few vids out there.. not sure where i saw them... 4ext is great but you can't change your hboot, upgrade radio, etc...

there are a few vids out there.. not sure where i saw them... 4ext is great but you can't change your hboot, upgrade radio, etc...

Yeah, I'm fine with that for now. I don't get the message TOO often about Radio Interface Shortage. I'd say 2-3 times out of 100 texts? So it's tolerable. I'll get this to work. Eventually >.>

I contacted the manufacture of this phone and gave them a mouth full. I told them about all the problems that this phone seems to have and he told me they where quit aware of the problems and they are looking into it. I just told him he is full of it and that they should pull this phone from the shelves and not sell any more till the problems are fixed then hung up on him. I have to say this has to be the worst phone I have ever owned. I should say did own I went and got me the Samsung galaxy s2 today and its great still. Just wish the evo wasn't pleged with problems I kinda liked the looks of the phone. But my Samsung is fast an rooted it in 10 minutes compared to 6 hours it took me to root the evo. What ashame could have been a great phone but they just through this phone together way to fast and didn't care about quality or the the consumer. I no one thing I will never get a phone through virgin mobile again. If this phone was put out there by T-Mobile or att prepaid you can bet it would have been a great phone. So I soulfuly blame virgin for this scrappy phone. Sorry guys I just needed to get my point across and I hope one of you devs here can get this phone right for the ones who are unfortunately stuck with it. Good luck..

I contacted the manufacture of this phone and gave them a mouth full. I told them about all the problems that this phone seems to have and he told me they where quit aware of the problems and they are looking into it. I just told him he is full of it and that they should pull this phone from the shelves and not sell any more till the problems are fixed then hung up on him. I have to say this has to be the worst phone I have ever owned. I should say did own I went and got me the Samsung galaxy s2 today and its great still. Just wish the evo wasn't pleged with problems I kinda liked the looks of the phone. But my Samsung is fast an rooted it in 10 minutes compared to 6 hours it took me to root the evo. What ashame could have been a great phone but they just through this phone together way to fast and didn't care about quality or the the consumer. I no one thing I will never get a phone through virgin mobile again. If this phone was put out there by T-Mobile or att prepaid you can bet it would have been a great phone. So I soulfuly blame virgin for this scrappy phone. Sorry guys I just needed to get my point across and I hope one of you devs here can get this phone right for the ones who are unfortunately stuck with it. Good luck..
this phone really isn't so bad.. other than the sms error (which can be fixed with s-off)... this phone has an average processor, what i think is an amazing camera, sense is okay, and its not too fat... whats not too like???

Back
Top Bottom