• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Universal Eris Root for Dummies!

Hi, I figured since kamots finally got his ROM working I would pose a new question for the people here to help me figure out. (If it isn't the right place, I can repost somewhere else) I have RA recovery working alright, but when I go to flash PlainJane the text reads:

Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:No signature (1710 files)
E:Verification failed

Installation aborted.

Does anyone know what's going on? How can I fix it and get the ROM to work?

On the surface it looks like you've got a corrupted / incomplete ROM download. Can you confirm/verify the MD5 sum of the file you downloaded from the developer's thread vs. the file that you copied to your phone?

edit: I'm looking over at the XDA site and it looks like there is no MD5 sum listed :( (not cool).

Don't know how you got it on your phone; if you copied from your PC, did you do a safe remove before unhooking the cable?

I can download and get the MD5 sum on my system here and you can double-check yours if you want...give me a minute...

okay, here's the MD5 sum I get for PlainJaneT2_V2.0.zip that I pulled via the http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=718092 thread:

561481120922708b1fc8139204fdd948 *PlainJaneT2_V2.0.zip

Do you have the MD5 sum utility and do you know how to run it against the file on your /sdcard?

Upvote 0
woooooooooooofreeeeaaaaaaaakkkkiiiinnnn hoooooooooomI am finally rooted runnin sensible 3.1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you so much everyone!varkie thank you for the clock suggestion that worked perfectly ! papadroid scary alien thank you so much for you patience , efforts and advice! I know it sounds like an oscar speech, but i and very excited and gratefull for everyones help! now to shop around lol:D:D:D:D:p

I know it was painful so congrats. I'm excited for you! Now you're probably going to end up being a flash junkie like the rest of us.:D

Upvote 0
Hi, I figured since kamots finally got his ROM working I would pose a new question for the people here to help me figure out. (If it isn't the right place, I can repost somewhere else) I have RA recovery working alright, but when I go to flash PlainJane the text reads:

Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:No signature (1710 files)
E:Verification failed

Installation aborted.

Does anyone know what's going on? How can I fix it and get the ROM to work?

I have to echo scary alien on this one. It's either a corrupt download or the zip file was opened and rezipped which removes the signature.

Upvote 0
Thats exactly what happened, I have a mac so it automatically unzips it when I downloaded it, so i rezipped it to put it on the SD card. How can I get it in its original form?

You'll have to re-download it.

Did you get it from the XDA site? Here's the link for the Plain Jane developer thread that I posted above:

[ROM]Plain_JaneT2 V2.0 7/18/10 Stock With everything ROOT!! - xda-developers

Here's the URL for the download that I used: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

The dev really should post an MD5 sum of the ROM so you can double-check, after downloading AND after copying to your /sdcard (sage advice from erisuser1 :D)

P.S / edit: don't forget the wipes per the dev's thread's instructions.

P.P.S. The custom ROM that I use on my Eris is Ivanmmj's Eris Official 1.0 w/overclocking. Its very close to stock and works very well. The a2sd is broken and you can't overclock past 710MHz without flashing the o/c patch. But, its a very solid ROM and the MD5 is published. I got it from GrdLock's site: http://android.grdlock.net/index.php?&direction=0&order=&directory=Ivans Roms (here's Ivan's developer's thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=652044)

Upvote 0
Sorry about not getting right back ( granddaughter had a BB game) I had rooted my phone and used terminal to remove apk's not needed. Read your dummies root way and thought will do brothers with it. Took a little time but worked great - he's happy - I thought why not put Gscript Lite on my phone and make it easy to - well try different roms - so basically I did your way with a rooted phone and well when I do steps it says running scrips ( did not see them run like on brothers phone) and at fig 31 do the vol up & end and it starts up and the triangle with red explanation green droid shows up & that as far as it goes. So pull battery to get my phone back. That is the reason I wonder if I have to unroot phone to do the dummy deal.

Upvote 0
Papadroid unfortunately you are correct lol i have been at xda for hours reading up on different roms and things i can do with my phone now. To every one else, I apologize for hogging this thread all day. Reading over the posts im thinkin to my self " where is every one? And then self tells me that nobody could get a word in edgewise, so i am sorry for that.:eek::D

Upvote 0
This worked great. I now have the kaos froyo ROM, and it seems to be working well. I was too stupid for the sdk method, but this worked great.

My only question now, is... now what? I have no apps, contacts or settings. I guess I'm just not sure if any of that can be restored, or if I have to redownload everything. I did the backup, but I wasn't sure if that was just a safety precaution, or if I can use that to get my stuff back. Either way, thanks a bunch for this!

Upvote 0
Sorry about not getting right back ( granddaughter had a BB game) I had rooted my phone and used terminal to remove apk's not needed. Read your dummies root way and thought will do brothers with it. Took a little time but worked great - he's happy - I thought why not put Gscript Lite on my phone and make it easy to - well try different roms - so basically I did your way with a rooted phone and well when I do steps it says running scrips ( did not see them run like on brothers phone) and at fig 31 do the vol up & end and it starts up and the triangle with red explanation green droid shows up & that as far as it goes. So pull battery to get my phone back. That is the reason I wonder if I have to unroot phone to do the dummy deal.

There was actually no reason to do the gscript at all since you were already rooted. The Process that EU1 has posted here was just a simple stepping stone to get root via changing the recovery system which allows you to flash roms with root. Most likely what has happened is that you can no longer get into recovery, at least that's what I'm understanding from you. I would use the steps laid out by HTCthebestdroid from another thread to reinstall recovery since I have no idea what ROM you're running and whether or not the process that EU1 has laid out even works with your ROM.

http://androidforums.com/all-things...help-me-remove-clockwork-mod.html#post1210218

so , gscript allows you to root? and then you put your downloaded rom onto your system?

Very simply, yes.

Upvote 0
This worked great. I now have the kaos froyo ROM, and it seems to be working well. I was too stupid for the sdk method, but this worked great.

My only question now, is... now what? I have no apps, contacts or settings. I guess I'm just not sure if any of that can be restored, or if I have to redownload everything. I did the backup, but I wasn't sure if that was just a safety precaution, or if I can use that to get my stuff back. Either way, thanks a bunch for this!

If your contacts were not stored with google then you will have to reenter them. Unfortunately there is a lot of confusion when it comes to backups. A nand backup done in recovery is an image of the entire ROM which can not be used to restore some data and apps. It's sole purpose is to restore the exact image back to your phone in case something goes wrong or you just don't like the ROM you just loaded and want to go back.

There are however tools such as Titanium Backup and MyBackup Pro that will back up data including contacts, call logs, sms, mms, bookmarks, and apps. But in order to utilize the full potential of those apps you need root. If you made a nand backup prior to installing your new rom, there is a process to gain root without losing any data. Using this process you can flash engtools.zip provided by jcase which will root your original software. engtools.zip is flashed just like a ROM, place on root of sdcard and then boot up into recovery and install via flash zip from sdcard. Once you're rooted you can install one of the two apps above and do your backups. Then install your new rom, once your up and signed into google you can go to the market and download your backup app and restore your data and apps.

Upvote 0
This is so embarassing...

I can't get the recovery part to come up. I'm pressing and holding Vol Up+Power at the same time, but the HTC screen comes, then the Verizon screen, then it loads like usual. Wth

Try holding vol - and Power at the same time. It will not take you directly to recovery but it will give you the option of going to recovery from there. And if it's not vol- and power then it's call/end and power. Just make sure to continue to hold down the buttons until it loads into the screen you want.

Upvote 0
Please Help...Thank you so much in advance...

I am having the same problem as others -

part1 = OK
part2 = OK
REBOOT with volume+ / end = NORMAL STARTUP
REBOOT with volume- / end = STOCK BOOTLOADER

I followed the directions exactly as stated. I even went back and executed part1 / rebooted / executed part2 / rebooted and the same results were reached.

The only difference which should not matter ( at least I dont believe so ) is that I downloaded the files on my computer and transferred them over to their correct directories on the phone through USB.

ERIS 2.1 OTA

Just wanted to point out the fix to the above scenario....

It seems that I did have the AMON-RA recovery flashed.

However, in order to access it, I had to go into the stock bootloader (VOLUME DOWN / END) and select RECOVERY (confirm that you actually see FIGURE 32).

After this, I just followed the steps as listed by EU1 and all is GREAT. Running KAOSFROYO v24 @ 604 MHz. Thanks to all.

Upvote 0
Excellent work. Thank you for the Root the Eris for dummies.

I have worked in the computer business of most of my professional career and this was the best instruction manual I have ever seen or used.

Good work all around the instructions, The Rom the Script files to remove Bloatware and change the font.

The only difference I noted was to boot to recover on my Eris I had to hold down the Down Volume and power then select recover... May be a feature from the OTA that was pushed a couple of days ago to fix all the bad stuff in 2.1, they should have you guys to fix their issues, Plain Jane is perfect.

Enough gushing for 1 reply

Upvote 0
There was actually no reason to do the gscript at all since you were already rooted. The Process that EU1 has posted here was just a simple stepping stone to get root via changing the recovery system which allows you to flash roms with root. Most likely what has happened is that you can no longer get into recovery, at least that's what I'm understanding from you. I would use the steps laid out by HTCthebestdroid from another thread to reinstall recovery since I have no idea what ROM you're running and whether or not the process that EU1 has laid out even works with your ROM.

http://androidforums.com/all-things...help-me-remove-clockwork-mod.html#post1210218

FYI that worked (HTCthebestdroid recovery) - thanks Papadroid - now that I got the process straight I plan trying the fun stuff. Again a big thanks for your help straightening me out, well actually the eris.

Upvote 0
Has the idea of doing a factory reset before the root process been debated? Would this help clean up the phone before such a intense process is undertaken or would it be a waste of time because the process already wipes everything?

It's not necessary and the process isn't really that intense on the phone. It won't hurt but I can't say that it would help either. If you do wipe you lose the ability to root your current setup to back up data and apps with Titanium backup or MyBackup Pro.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones