• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update coming, but not 2.2

I think more then 1% of those people bought the car docks under the assumption it will be fixed soon since the clerk selling it to you is supposed to be knowledgeable (I know...what was I thinking?!?). I guarantee most sales people pushed those docks to the customers. Why rush selling those non working docks??? If they will take my money in a rush I expect them to put out quality fully working devices or at least provide a fix in an acceptable time frame.

Point taken. I was unaware of the dock issue. That would piss me off too.

I'm gonna give it until the end of the year. I'm technically savvy so I'm not worried about having trouble rooting it, I just don't want the minor headaches that inevitably come along with rooting. I love the SF and I have it setup the way I like it using LP and such...its just the car dock thing is my major gripe. Thanks for the input, I just needed to vent a bit...

I think more then 1% of those people bought the car docks under the assumption it will be fixed soon since the clerk selling it to you is supposed to be knowledgeable (I know...what was I thinking?!?). I guarantee most sales people pushed those docks to the customers. Why rush selling those non working docks??? If they will take my money in a rush I expect them to put out quality fully working devices or at least provide a fix in an acceptable time frame.

Uh count me in. My verizon store was doing a deal. For each line, if you buy 3 accessories, you get a free months data (for each line) so I bought:

my line:
-- Desk cradle
-- Car dock
-- phone case

wifes line:
-- Car dock
-- Screen protectors
-- phone case

So we're supposed to get ~ $60.00 credit to our bill for our "free data". All of the above items totaled something above that number but doing the math I figured it was like getting all of those things for $60.00 off.

Read the woes about the car dock AFTER buying them. Didn't even take them out of the boxes, back they went. I would have taken EVERYTHING back but the screen protectors were already on our phones and the cases had been "used". So I had to take the car docks (took desk cradle back too) back and exchange them for SOME other accessory to get my free data credit. Ended up with two extra chargers (woo hoo) for something like $20/each. And they're not even the same as OEM (with detachable USB cable). They're generic VZW brand.

I was so pissed.

Then to boot, they didn't properly credit my bill. They gave me a $5 credit on my line and my wife got a $5 credit. So I had to call back and get the additional data credit! GRRRrrrr....

Point being, if the damn update was out I probably would have kept all of the accessories as they would have worked properly and I would have loved to have a car dock. Instead, we now simply place the phone on the steering column between the speed and rpm gauge. the rubber part of the case makes it so it doesn't move and it's right there when you want to see it. I even have a long USB cable coming from the glovebox (aftermarket HU) so I can charge it at the same time.

Just wanted to report that DJ05 doesn't fix any of my bluetooth car issues. I know it wasn't in the changelog, but I had hoped it would. Better be fixed by iPhone release, or I am jumping back to iOS. =(

Verizon, nor Samsung care about these complaints.

1. We are a problem for them, in that we go against the grain and do things we aren't supposed to.
2. We are too far in the minority to affect sales.

That said, just to add fuel to the fire:

Dj05 has been canned. There is another 2.1 update being worked on.

Another source has told me in confidence that Verizon has finished internal testing and is readying OTA testing for 2.2.

Take the second one with a grain of salt, the first one comes from a source I know to be legit.

Any more insight as to why DJ05 was canned and what may be included in the new 2.1 update being worked on?

I would suspect that any 2.1 update that replaces it would be identical, sans DJ05 bugs.

DJ05 has known usb and adb daemon issues, as well as a messed up browser.

Just wanted to report that DJ05 doesn't fix any of my bluetooth car issues. I know it wasn't in the changelog, but I had hoped it would. Better be fixed by iPhone release, or I am jumping back to iOS. =(

So you were hoping they forgot to add it to the log?
Why would VZW care if you bought a different phone on their network? They have you either way.

i have a feeling quite a few people will jump from android to iphone when verizon releases it...which is fine...its a good brand...just not for those of us who want to tinker with our phone and individualize it :cool:

i have a feeling quite a few people will jump from android to iphone when verizon releases it...which is fine...its a good brand...just not for those of us who want to tinker with our phone and individualize it :cool:

I will probably pick up an iPhone when it comes out for VZW...wont be my daily driver but would be fun to play with then once I am tired of it, it becomes my wifes phone and I use her NE2 for something else.

I will probably pick up an iPhone when it comes out for VZW...wont be my daily driver but would be fun to play with then once I am tired of it, it becomes my wifes phone and I use her NE2 for something else.

i hear ya...my wife has an ipod touch she never uses and since i already use both of our upgrades and give her my older phones thats not a scenario in our future :)

What issues are you referring to? I don't currently have bluetooth in my car but should after Christmas...I hope my gift request from my husband doesn't turn out to be an issue. He will be very unhappy with me after going through the installation process if I then have to tell him I can't use it as I intended. I've been a bit of a pain with telling him exactly what I wanted in a new stereo. But hey...I DID send him the links to the 2 I narrowed it down to and told him to pick.

At any rate...what bluetooth issues?

i hear ya...my wife has an ipod touch she never uses and since i already use both of our upgrades and give her my older phones thats not a scenario in our future :)

Yea right now I have 4 NE2 available since they never get used at my office. So I dont mind using one on an iphone. If I didnt have a bunch of them I wouldnt even consider it though. One of these days my boss is going to be pissed i keep using ne2s and renewing contracts but I will deal with it when it comes lol

Yea right now I have 4 NE2 available since they never get used at my office. So I dont mind using one on an iphone. If I didnt have a bunch of them I wouldnt even consider it though. One of these days my boss is going to be pissed i keep using ne2s and renewing contracts but I will deal with it when it comes lol

just give your boss "the business"

I have rooted my phone with z4root, and when I try to install a rom it downloads then starts to load the rom, and stops install with an error????? Any ideas?

Everyone needs to remember that in the U.S., the OEM is not in control. The US is different from most of the rest of the world. The carrier controls what happens. The carrier has many products that they prioritize for testing, updates, testing updates, etc. In most cases, the OEM is capable of moving much faster than the carrier allows due to their priorities and direction.

In addition, the carrier has a boat load of their own "wares" that they many times hold everything up for. For example, if VZ has a new VCast app, they may hold everything up until that is ready to minimize the updates they have to do.

Lastly, the end result in fit form and function is most definitely dictated by the carrier. If you don't like they way it works/acts, many times it is because the carrier forced it that way. Case and point, GPS on this device. Assisted GPS is disabled. Only Mobile Based and Standalone are used, as the carrier did not want the device using their positioning equipment.

Don't be so quick to point at the OEM.

It said that it was installed in rom manager.

The update.zip was installed, but not the recovery partition that would allow the update.zip to run.

You need to flash the Odin stuff for Clockwork.

yes, on this phone you cannot flash clockwork recovery from rom manager alone. its always best to read up on all the root stickies before proceeding :)

Back
Top Bottom