• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update coming, but not 2.2

Alright, think I'm finally gonna throw this update on my phone. Got the downloads'n such, just backing up now. Nublet question for anyone-but-I-would-bet-money-nitsuj-answers: How do I know if a kernel plays nice with DJ05? Or does it not matter?

Alright, think I'm finally gonna throw this update on my phone. Got the downloads'n such, just backing up now. Nublet question for anyone-but-I-would-bet-money-nitsuj-answers: How do I know if a kernel plays nice with DJ05? Or does it not matter?

there are dj05 specific kernels....(pretty much anything built after 11/2xxx is djo5. in rom manager geeknik specifies which is dj05 or di01 as well :)

12/3 voodoo in rm is dj05 as well as all voodoo now (and all new kernels) are only built for dj05

anything you would get in irc would also be dj05

Anything dated this month will be DJ05-only (including JT's Voodoo5 on ROM Manager). The last DJ01: jt1134 -- 11/16; geeknik -- 1.23

Mismatches may cause issues with haptic, MMS, etc.

there are dj05 specific kernels....(pretty much anything built after 11/2xxx is djo5. in rom manager geeknik specifies which is dj05 or di01 as well :)

12/3 voodoo in rm is dj05 as well as all voodoo now (and all new kernels) are only built for dj05

anything you would get in irc would also be dj05
Anything dated this month will be DJ05-only (including JT's Voodoo5 on ROM Manager). The last DJ01: jt1134 -- 11/16; geeknik -- 1.23

Mismatches may cause issues with haptic, MMS, etc.

Aha, I see! I had forgotten ROM Manager actually had downloads now. My phone still is on stupidfast 1.0, so you can tell how often I update things. Hopefully hanging in IRC will keep me more in the swing of things, it sounds fun.

Looks like I get to update the kernel, too! Though tbh, still a bit weary of voodoo since the borking when I removed v2. I know it's a lot better now, but still.. A new kernel, modem, and ROM (still running a tweaked stock atm) should be plenty to mess with for now.

Thanks for the insanely fast responses!

Did I get some kind of update? Market looks different and I have an update all button. I didn't think I had that before. Maybe I did.

Did I get some kind of update? Market looks different and I have an update all button. I didn't think I had that before. Maybe I did.

i think some people on di01 have reported getting an updated 2.2 market without actually updating anything

me too... i had manually installedc the new market before my hard reset a few weeks ago, but now, it came bac k on its own (and good thing, too, I was about to go searching for the manual update.)

Indeed, nitsuj.

Also, for the Froyo fans, we are seeing more and more reports of it having lag issues and other disappointments, coming from the various device forums where it's being talked about.

Once again, I'm reminded of the Eris days, back when 2.2 was ROMed by a few devs. Some users couldn't stand it, preferring to root into one of the many 2.1 flavors.

I found 2.2's slight menu changes to be for the better, and the additional functionality finally drew me away from the 2.1 ROMs, with Nonsensikal remaining on my Eris right up to my last day using it as I went to the store to pick up my Fascinate.

What will be the most important development (pun intended ;)), will be Froyo ROMs for the Fascinate, addressing the various issues being brought out here and there in other device threads. That is when we'll see some happy campers around here, not when it comes to us as an upgrade, but when it's ROMed to our liking. ;)

Indeed, nitsuj.

Also, for the Froyo fans, we are seeing more and more reports of it having lag issues and other disappointments, coming from the various device forums where it's being talked about.

Once again, I'm reminded of the Eris days, back when 2.2 was ROMed by a few devs. Some users couldn't stand it, preferring to root into one of the many 2.1 flavors.

I found 2.2's slight menu changes to be for the better, and the additional functionality finally drew me away from the 2.1 ROMs, with Nonsensikal remaining on my Eris right up to my last day using it as I went to the store to pick up my Fascinate.

What will be the most important development (pun intended ;)), will be Froyo ROMs for the Fascinate, addressing the various issues being brought out here and there in other device threads. That is when we'll see some happy campers around here, not when it comes to us as an upgrade, but when it's ROMed to our liking. ;)

great call Frisco, as usual :)

i think the greatest hope for this device lies in froyo and the (hopefully) updated ril in 2.2 to get back to work.

if 2.2 launches in the next few weeks that would be huge, as birdman finishes classes this week or next and adrynalyne has stated he plans to through himself head first into aosp as well once his classes are over. jt is up til God knows when working on stuff too (as well as the other guys who guy greatly contribute, those 3 just come to mind for working towards those ends atm :))

of course, im sure we ll have 2.2 touch wiz based or vanilla touch wiz roms too for those who require their sammy apps :)

as for those who have never used aosp, a good portion of them whine and complain about how stripped down it is and they want this and that back in....many of us android purists just want the blinding speed of it :D

So in order to install a custom ROM one must root...but can you root the phone, install custom ROM and then unroot the phone (leaving the ROM intact)?

I am using Good on my personal device to get work email and calendar and when I was rooted before my company was able to detect it and "reject" me for not passing their IT policies. So while I can probably get away with a temporary root for the purposes of installing something, I can't stay rooted.

So in order to install a custom ROM one must root...but can you root the phone, install custom ROM and then unroot the phone (leaving the ROM intact)?

I am using Good on my personal device to get work email and calendar and when I was rooted before my company was able to detect it and "reject" me for not passing their IT policies. So while I can probably get away with a temporary root for the purposes of installing something, I can't stay rooted.

you would have to push stock recovery as well in odin to remove clockwork recovery as well.

i mean you can unroot with a custom rom on, but depending on what the rom contains you may not have full access to its improvements as they may require super user access from root.....also you would have to then reroot and repush clockwork recovery if there is an update to the rom

but yes its possible

you would have to push stock recovery as well in odin to remove clockwork recovery as well.

i mean you can unroot with a custom rom on, but depending on what the rom contains you may not have full access to its improvements as they may require super user access from root.....also you would have to then reroot and repush clockwork recovery if there is an update to the rom

but yes its possible

GAH! Darn work...I had a Blackberry and finally figured out a way to ditch it, and now I gotta deal with this on my personal phone. :(

But thank you for the reply.

Yep....I've noticed this and I decided to go with Zeam....seems much smoother and snappier.

launcher pro can be a bit of a resource hog, and requires you to play around with its settings...zeam and adw are smore stripped down and will generally perform better

launcher pro can be a bit of a resource hog, and requires you to play around with its settings...zeam and adw are smore stripped down and will generally perform better

I've saw how some people use words for dock icons instead of dock pictures on lp how is this done?

I've saw how some people use words for dock icons instead of dock pictures on lp how is this done?
Those are just word icon packs that's all....noncolored ones are available at manup456s site digitalstylewars.com. (he is the original Creator of nextheme revolution nextang and others) the colored word ones are also all over the place.....but really there not that hard to make in gimp or ps. (Although I suck at it) or you can take the base ones and change the colors in those programs as well

Those are just word icon packs that's all....noncolored ones are available at manup456s site digitalstylewars.com. (he is the original Creator of nextheme revolution nextang and others) the colored word ones are also all over the place.....but really there not that hard to make in gimp or ps. (Although I suck at it) or you can take the base ones and change the colors in those programs as well

Ok going to try to not sound dumb here, haha, but I went to the site and saw that it was a zip file. Do I just d/l the zip straight to my phone or do I need to d/l it on computer and push it to sd card? Tia

Ok going to try to not sound dumb here, haha, but I went to the site and saw that it was a zip file. Do I just d/l the zip straight to my phone or do I need to d/l it on computer and push it to sd card? Tia

Unzip it on your comp and throw the folder on ur sdcard....then it it'll be there when you go to select custom icons in lp

Back
Top Bottom