• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update coming, but not 2.2

Anyone have an alternative way of loading modem.tar besides ODIN? I am using a Mac and can't passthrough the USB reliably using VMware Fusion.

yeah fusion was a fail for me too. Gotta do boot camp.

There is a program called heimdall for the future but you need froyo to use on a mac.

I Think i am more interested in the launcherpro rewrite that is coming in january than 2.2 0r 2.3

To get back to the OP (MR update, not 2.2):

"I'm told that the current testing on this is set to end on 11/29 so this could possibly be out at the beginning of December."

We are now in that range. ;)

Yea, but not for much longer. We are almost at mid-December.

thats assuming this update ever comes out....which....well we ll see

Yea I hear ya. I really just want it for the GPS fix at this point. I don't think I am quite ready to root my phone yet, but could get pushed to that edge soon if things don't start happening.

Yea I hear ya. I really just want it for the GPS fix at this point. I don't think I am quite ready to root my phone yet, but could get pushed to that edge soon if things don't start happening.

It's quite an easy procedure, as is unrooting. Why wait?

I'm on my fifth root/unroot cycle. I've been doing it repeatedly just to compare behavior with new apps, settings, etc.

As far as I can see, unloading the doo-doo apps (Blockbuster, etc) and putting stuff on the sd card to invoke from there, doesn't do much for speed, but it does leave lot of memory room ("internal memory"). I've got a 32Gb card in there, so using it makes a lot more sense than the RAM that came with the device.

It's quite an easy procedure, as is unrooting. Why wait?

I'm on my fifth root/unroot cycle. I've been doing it repeatedly just to compare behavior with new apps, settings, etc.

As far as I can see, unloading the doo-doo apps (Blockbuster, etc) and putting stuff on the sd card to invoke from there, doesn't do much for speed, but it does leave lot of memory room ("internal memory"). I've got a 32Gb card in there, so using it makes a lot more sense than the RAM that came with the device.

I guess it is just the fear that I will screw something up and have to deal with it. Plus the other thing I saw mentioned was that if the new update comes out different than what you guys have installed on your rooted phones it could make things more difficult for updating in the future. So I am just trying to figure out when the right time to root is to reduce the overall risk.

Plus, there are so many options out there for ROM's, I wouldn't know which one would really be best for me.

I guess it is just the fear that I will screw something up and have to deal with it. Plus the other thing I saw mentioned was that if the new update comes out different than what you guys have installed on your rooted phones it could make things more difficult for updating in the future. So I am just trying to figure out when the right time to root is to reduce the overall risk.

that worry is gone, as we have the revert radio

that worry is gone, as we have the revert radio

Interesting, that makes it a little more tempting. I just have no idea where to really start (obviously there is the tutorial and whatnot), but I am not sure what ROM would be "best" for me and things like that.

Yea I think Im almost to the point of rooting as well. We get all these promises and then EVERYTHING gets pushed back. I dont know though cause I hate waiting so it may just be me.

Interesting, that makes it a little more tempting. I just have no idea where to really start (obviously there is the tutorial and whatnot), but I am not sure what ROM would be "best" for me and things like that.

Yea I think Im almost to the point of rooting as well. We get all these promises and then EVERYTHING gets pushed back. I dont know though cause I hate waiting so it may just be me.

head to the root section :)

head to the root section :)

I probably have a lot of research to do before I can try it though. For example, I went to the Root Section and looked at the beginning of the tutorial and with the one zip file that you download for the "one-click" root, I am not sure if that is what I need to start and then I hav eto go out and look at all of these different kernels, ROM's, radio versions, etc. Then there is voodoo, non-voodoo.

Maybe it is just because I haven't really done much research, but it seems kinda tough to navigate just trying to jump in.

Ideally if I were to root, it would be to improve the performance, install DJ05 and that is pretty much it for the moment. I don't even know if I have to back up my phone somehow first before I root, or if rooting doesn't overwrite any existing data, etc....

I will have to try and do some reading in my free time.

I probably have a lot of research to do before I can try it though. For example, I went to the Root Section and looked at the beginning of the tutorial and with the one zip file that you download for the "one-click" root, I am not sure if that is what I need to start and then I hav eto go out and look at all of these different kernels, ROM's, radio versions, etc. Then there is voodoo, non-voodoo.

Maybe it is just because I haven't really done much research, but it seems kinda tough to navigate just trying to jump in.

Ideally if I were to root, it would be to improve the performance, install DJ05 and that is pretty much it for the moment. I don't even know if I have to back up my phone somehow first before I root, or if rooting doesn't overwrite any existing data, etc....

I will have to try and do some reading in my free time.

I would agree... I haven't done a whole lot of research but what I have read seems pretty overwhelming. I consider myself pretty techy with computers but rooting seems like a whole different story. I think I will be waiting for 2.2 then looking more into it. It seems like we will have some great help from this community. I have learned so much already just by observing...

Thanks in advance!

I would agree... I haven't done a whole lot of research but what I have read seems pretty overwhelming. I consider myself pretty techy with computers but rooting seems like a whole different story. I think I will be waiting for 2.2 then looking more into it. It seems like we will have some great help from this community. I have learned so much already just by observing...

Thanks in advance!

Yea I am not worried about it from a tech savvy-ness standpoint. I am an engineer (with a Masters in Computer and Electrical Engineering) so I typically understand the technology and whatnot, it is just with all of the different options and different things that have to be installed, I want to make sure I understand what I am doing before jumping in the fire.

I was in the same boat as you guys. But then I found the tutorial on here I think that had the one click root program. It was simple. Now I've tried flashing a few roms. I haven't tried the new Dj05 or whatever that update is, but if there is a revert radio, then I might give it a shot.

It's all Greek to me. I thought about doing it, and I rooted my Eris a while back...but even reading the Root section here is confusing to me. I'm thinking I would only want to do the DJ05....but can't figure out what to do.

I was in the same boat as you guys. But then I found the tutorial on here I think that had the one click root program. It was simple. Now I've tried flashing a few roms. I haven't tried the new Dj05 or whatever that update is, but if there is a revert radio, then I might give it a shot.

yup the revert radio and the dj05 files are all in the same place irc #samsung-fascinate....someone can direct you from there ;)

It's all Greek to me. I thought about doing it, and I rooted my Eris a while back...but even reading the Root section here is confusing to me. I'm thinking I would only want to do the DJ05....but can't figure out what to do.

yeah with anything there is a learning curve...but the beginning steps (root, recovery, etc) are all in frisco's sticky at the top of the root section :)

yeah with anything there is a learning curve...but the beginning steps (root, recovery, etc) are all in frisco's sticky at the top of the root section :)

Yeah Dawn DJ05 is nice but you definitely want to crawl before you walk or run. Root and recovery as suggest by nitsuj17 are the ideal and standard first steps when you wanna take things to the next level. This will help you get familiar with odin and clockwork which are essential for the DJ05 jump

Yeah Dawn DJ05 is nice but you definitely want to crawl before you walk or run. Root and recovery as suggest by nitsuj17 are the ideal and standard first steps when you wanna take things to the next level. This will help you get familiar with odin and clockwork which are essential for the DJ05 jump

Yeah, see....I didn't even know THAT much. That's way beyond my scope. I'll just wait it out I guess.

Yeah, see....I didn't even know THAT much. That's way beyond my scope. I'll just wait it out I guess.
The key question to ask yourself is do you like your phone the way it is now. If you are content then you're fine as is. If you feel something is lacking then by all means start here and read up and see what you want and dont want. Equally true if you do absolutely nothing you and all of us are likely only weeks away from 2.2

The key question to ask yourself is do you like your phone the way it is now. If you are content then you're fine as is. If you feel something is lacking then by all means start here and read up and see what you want and dont want. Equally true if you do absolutely nothing you and all of us are likely only weeks away from 2.2

+1 great call saps...if you are happy with the performance/features of what you are running now....and you dont want to commit the time to read up on everything you may want to wait.....i know im too impulsive to EVER wait....but its all about what you feel comfortable with :)

okI have rooted before and all and am still thinking of doing it now. I have a question though, I have seen people talk about the revert radio on the DJ05, what does that mean exactly??? What is the benifit from that???

okI have rooted before and all and am still thinking of doing it now. I have a question though, I have seen people talk about the revert radio on the DJ05, what does that mean exactly??? What is the benifit from that???

revert radio just means we have the dio1 modem file to flash in odin to take us back in case 2.2 contains a straight radio patch from dio1 instead of a new radio.

this was a concern for awhile with dj05 as it meant theoretically that if 2.2 was a patch, those on the dj05 radio could be stuck on it

Back
Top Bottom